PDA

View Full Version : Epic magic item guidelines?

Scrapheap
2014-08-11, 02:01 AM
I have been searching the DMG for the guidelines on Epic Magic Items and I cant seem to find them, are they even listed in it?
I know they are in the Epic handbook and SRD but I would prefer to know where the limits to normal magic items are.

Fizban
2014-08-11, 02:30 AM
The limit on non-epic magic items is what's in the DMG: anything higher than the max numbers listed there is Epic and has to jump up to the formulas in the ELH. Weapons and armor over +10, stat bonuses over +6, etc. I think miscellaneous tops at 200k.

Scrapheap
2014-08-11, 02:45 AM
Fizban, where exactly does it state those limits though?
The Item creation guidelines only list the cost of making various items, but not the limitations on how high the bonuses can go.

Bronk
2014-08-11, 08:49 AM
The DMG tells you what you can do, and what is possible. It then sets limits based on the limit of pre-epic XP levels, the hard limits on weapon and armor enhancement bonuses are listed in their tables, and the limits on other items are by omission... for example, bonuses to stats greater than +6 just don't exist. There are additional rules in the Magic Item Compendium.

The epic rules add to that, saying that the limit is 200 thousand gold, that you can go to higher bonuses, and gives you the rules to do it.