PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Barbaric Warlord (PEACH)

Spacefrog
2007-03-05, 04:02 PM
My first attempt at creating a prestige class. I was thinking of introducing it to an Eberron game (and calling it Droaam Warlord), but there's nothing in it that's specific to Eberron.

Warlords are the rulers of communities of barbaric humanoids. They may rise from these communities themselves, or be heroes who take control of a barbaric tribe. Warlords are typically barbarians, fighters or other martial classes who sacrifice some of their physical training in order to become more effective leaders.

Requirements
Base attack bonus: +5
Feats: Leadership
Skills: Intimidate 8 ranks

Class skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Knowledge (local), Ride, Sense Motive

Barbaric Warlord
Hit die: d8
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Fearsome reputation, bonus language

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Inspire rage 1/day, battle intimidation

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Hold the line, bonus language

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Inspire rage 2/day

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Greater battle intimidation, bonus language[/table]

Fearsome reputation (Ex)
A warlord adds his class level to Intimidate checks.

Battle intimidation (Ex)
Starting at 2nd level, a warlord can use Intimidate to demoralize an opponent in battle as a move action (rather than a standard action).

Bonus language (Ex)
Although most monstrous creatures speak Common, a good warlord knows that he can rule more effectively if he speaks the first language of his subjects. At 1st, 3rd and 5th level the warlord gains a bonus language from among those spoken by his subjects or the creatures of the surrounding area (excluding secret languages such as Druidic). A typical list would be Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Orc.

Inspire rage (Sp)
Beginning at 2nd level, you can incite your allies to fly into a rage while attacking. This functions as the rage spell, except that it is a language-dependant effect and can be negated by magical silence. You must continue speaking or shouting while you concentrate to maintain the effect, and the effect lasts for as long as you concentrate plus one round per level. At 4th-level, you can use this ability twice per day.

Hold the line (Ex)
When you reach 3rd level, your followers and allies may be more frightened of you than they are of their enemies. Whenever an ally or follower who can see you is subject to a fear effect that allows a Will save, you can make an Intimidate check as an immediate action, and the ally uses this check result in place of their Will save if it is higher. You cannot use this ability if you yourself shaken or otherwise suffering from a fear effect.

Greater battle intimidation (Ex)
At 5th level, a warlord can demoralize an opponent in battle as a swift action.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-05, 04:24 PM
Tell me why a class with the name Warlord has 3/4 bab? Also, what're it's class skills?

Last, I'd rather be able to intimidate as a swift action than use fear 1/day.

Bryn
2007-03-05, 04:26 PM
It looks good, but Battle Intimidation isn't on the table, which had me confused for a couple of seconds.

Spacefrog
2007-03-05, 04:37 PM
Sorry, I made mistakes when copying it into the form. Added class skills and the missing table entry.

It uses the 3/4 BAB because it's meant to represent the sacrifice of actual power for the appearance of power. I got the idea from the Legendary Leader class from Heroes of Battle, which uses the same BAB and hit die.

You don't think intimidation as a swift action would be too powerful?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-05, 04:43 PM
Sorry, I made mistakes when copying it into the form. Added class skills and the missing table entry.

It uses the 3/4 BAB because it's meant to represent the sacrifice of actual power for the appearance of power. I got the idea from the Legendary Leader class from Heroes of Battle, which uses the same BAB and hit die.

You don't think intimidation as a swift action would be too powerful?

Oh, I think it'd be powerful, but I also think it'd be worthwhile.

Spacefrog
2007-03-05, 04:54 PM
Cool, thanks. I have made that change to the class.

Marcotic
2007-03-06, 05:33 PM
I approve. (like it matters)

brian c
2007-03-06, 07:48 PM
Looks cool. Warchief from the miniatures handbook is a kinda similar class.

Holocron Coder
2007-03-07, 09:48 AM
Nice. Very fitting for a barbaric leader.

Spacefrog
2007-03-07, 01:26 PM
Thanks people. :)