PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How to catch a flying phantom mount

Odessa333
2014-08-11, 10:23 AM
Hey all!

So our party has an issue. We have this evil guy who likes to do these crazy fly by attacks on us from his phantom mount. He flies at 100 feet per round. He charges at us, and then flies out of our range so we can't catch the creep. I'm playing a level 15 monk and really want to catch up to this guy, as I've chased him on foot without problem (I have 80 feet land base, and using a Ki I increase my movement to run after him) but I can't fly after him when he takes to the skies. It's become a challenge of sorts to find a way to be faster than him, especially in the air. Still, can't quite find anything to be faster than his mount in pathfinder (no D&D material allowed) and summoning my own mount from a scroll would take 10 minutes, and he'd be long gone before I finished the spell.

Any ideas? Anything I've overlooked? Help is appreciated, as always!

LunaLovecraft
2014-08-11, 10:59 AM
So, what you really want to do if you can is firstly get everyone on your party skilled with melee attacks access to reach weapons. If someone on your party has access to a brace weapon, then that's even better. Since you're a monk, you PROBABLY don't have proficiency in a reach weapon. That's okay, you have a more important job.

When you see him coming, try to goad him towards coming directly at you. And then do a readied action to do an acrobatics check to jump high enough to grapple the guy on the mount. Once successful you have to try to drag him off the mount, and let your entire party just dish out the damage until he's down.

As for the rest of your party, while you're attempting to ready an action to grapple him, they should be readied with the bracing weapons. When you ready an action against a charging creature to attack when they charge at you, then you deal double damage on the attack. But don't ready the action to attack him. Ready the action to attack the mount. A phantom steed only has 7 hit points, plus 1 per caster level, so you as a group could very possible damage it enough to send the guy tumbling and immediately rush over to attack him while he's down, before he can summon another one.

Also if you don't have a bracing weapon, that is okay, or even not having a reach weapon is okay. But the bracing weapons get double damage against the charge, which is REALLY nice when you need to max out that damage.

EDIT:

OPTION TWO (because you can get a Monk at a fly speed of 110, who knew?)

Buy two scrolls: Fly (Base Fly Speed 60) and Haste (increase all of your forms of movement by 30).

So now we have a monk with a fly speed of 90 (for only a few rounds-- get your teammates to use the scrolls if you can, since it's a touch spell and a target spell).

So ki 20 speed higher, and now you're going 110 speed (also this doesn't negate haste's twice clause, twice 60 is 120 so haste has full effect).

Psyren
2014-08-11, 11:04 AM
Ready an action to hit him (or better yet, the steed) as he comes in range - that's all you need really.

Doesn't your party have a caster of some kind? Why isn't his steed being dispelled or blown up? Any archers?

avr
2014-08-11, 11:08 AM
If one of you can slow him down - with solid fog, or by readying an action to grapple, or perhaps tripping him to get him off his mount - catching him should be a lot easier.

A fast mount with expeditious retreat or haste should be able to do better than 100'. A hippogriff costs ~5000 gp and flies at 100' before buffs.

Dalebert
2014-08-11, 12:15 PM
Doesn't your party have a caster of some kind?

Allow me to rephase this less tactfully.

Step 1: Don't play a monk.
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Profit!

Bronk
2014-08-11, 03:52 PM
You could wrangle up a pair of Cloudwalker Anklets and just follow him right into the air and chase him down...

...or dehorse him with a Ring of the Ram.