PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Class Idea: Caster of ALL Spells [Base Class]

dead_but_dreaming
2007-03-05, 04:41 PM
Please take a look at this one! Sorry for the (lack of) formatting, I'm in a bit of a hurry at the moment...

The Herald of Mystra

...Or any appropriate deity of magic...

Heralds are those chosen by a god or godess who governs the Arts of magic, being its creator and/or guardian. They are almost always extremly talented individuals, gifted with superior intellect, force of personality and profound spiritual insight for the path of the herald is a demanding one indeed. The rewards are great, however, since their patron deity has access to all spells in the known multiverse and is willing to grant them to her most devoted servants.

Class Features
Heralds gain spells per day, HD, saves, skills and BAB just as wizards. They gain profficiency with one simple weapon. In addition, they gain the Guardian and Tutor abilities. They must also abide by their Code of Conduct or lose their spellcasting abilities.

Spellcasting: Heralds have the spellcasting progression of a wizard and a sligthtly weaker spell per day table (see below), but they have no spellbook and cast divine spells. A herald has access to all spells, arcane and divine, due to the nature of the deity they revere and serve. They do cast all spells as divine spells and they pray for spells and prepare them just like a cleric would do. However, all herald spells incur arcane spell failure from armor due to their complex nature.

If a spell is available on more than one class spell list, the herald can only cast it as the highest level version of that spell.

To prepare or cast a spell, the herald must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level.

The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a heralds spell is 10 + the spell level + the heralds Charisma modifier.

A herald gain bonus spells based on his Wisdom score.

{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|3|1

2nd|3|2

3rd|3|3|1

4th|3|3|2

5th|3|3|3|1

6th|3|3|3|2|

7th|3|3|3|3|1

8th|3|3|3|3|2

9th|3|3|3|3|3|1

10th|3|3|3|3|3|2

11th|3|3|3|3|3|3|1

12th|3|3|3|3|3|3|2

13th|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|1

14th|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|2

15th|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|1

16th|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|2

17th|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|1

18th|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|2

19th|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|1

20th|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|2
[/table]

Code of Conduct: A herald is first and foremost a guardian and a tutor of magic. He may neither be good, evil or chaotic and must at all times seek to hinder those who would cause damage to the weave/fabric of reality and upset the natural balance between inherently good and evil magic. Furthermore, the path of a herald requires uttermost devotion. If a herald ever multiclasses into another casting class or gain levels in a PrC with a caster level progression, he immediatly loses all spellcasting abilities. If he gains levels in any non-caster class, he may not advance further in the herald class but he retains all caster abilities. He also loses all caster abilities if he ever strains from his alignment or fails to perform his duties as a guardian of magic itself. He may not continue to progress in the herald class unless he atones and willingly loses all levels of any other caster classes beside this one.

Tutor: A herald may teach another caster that prepares his spells a new spell, if that spell appears on that casters spell list. Obviously, this applies only to classes that actually learn spells, such as wizard or archivist. The caster to be taught may scribe the spell into his spell/prayerbook as if he was copying it from another such source. The herald may only teach spells that he has currently prepared.

Guardian of the Weave (Su): A herald becomes instantly aware of any major alterations to the weave/fabric of magic/reality. He can roughly tell the distance and direction to that particular phenomenon. If he doesn't set out to investigate and correct the damage as quickly as possible (within a reasonable period of time), he violates his Code of Conduct. The heralds patron deity may however relieve the herald of this duty (if she for example has sent another servant to investigate a particular phenomenon). This is entirely up to the DMs discretion.

FINISHED

Vespe Ratavo
2007-03-05, 04:47 PM
Hmm...seems too powerful to me. This just seems like the mystic theurge made into a base class. I would recommend something like....

*Turn it into a Prc, but like I said, seems like the mystic theurge.
*Only gain arcane/divine spells every other level, so they start out as arcane casters, then at 2nd level they get some divine spells, etc, but that might be too complicated.
*Only let them know so many spells, like...er...it's complicated to learn both schools at the same time?
*Even fewer spells per day, but then again, that would be hard. Perhaps fewer at the beginning, but eventually catches up with wizard.
*XP penalty?

Even so, great idea. I always thought it was silly for clerics of (say) Boccob to cast divine magic.

dead_but_dreaming
2007-03-05, 04:53 PM
Hmm...seems too powerful to me. This just seems like the mystic theurge made into a base class. I would recommend something like....

*Turn it into a Prc, but like I said, seems like the mystic theurge.
*Only gain arcane/divine spells every other level, so they start out as arcane casters, then at 2nd level they get some divine spells, etc, but that might be too complicated.
*Only let them know so many spells, like...er...it's complicated to learn both schools at the same time?
*Even fewer spells per day, but then again, that would be hard. Perhaps fewer at the beginning, but eventually catches up with wizard.
*XP penalty?

Even so, great idea. I always thought it was silly for clerics of (say) Boccob to cast divine magic.

Yes, but have you noted the multiple ability dependance? This is the main balancing factor of the class!

And thanks :smallsmile:

Spacefrog
2007-03-05, 04:59 PM
They could pretty much negate the Charisma dependance by specializing in spells that don't allow saving throws. The Intelligence dependance probably won't come into play at all at low levels.

If a spell is available at different levels to Wizards and Clerics, what level do they get it at? (I assume it's the lower but just checking.)

dead_but_dreaming
2007-03-05, 05:23 PM
They could pretty much negate the Charisma dependance by specializing in spells that don't allow saving throws. The Intelligence dependance probably won't come into play at all at low levels.

No, but casters really starts to rock at higher levels. Besides, if they specialized in non-save spells, they would lose all save-or-suck/die spells, which are the strongest points on the wizards list.

If a spell is available at different levels to Wizards and Clerics, what level do they get it at? (I assume it's the lower but just checking.)

Forgot to add that: they get it at the higher level. Or wait, is that good? The point is that delayed access = less power, right?

dead_but_dreaming
2007-03-05, 05:33 PM
Edited first post. See magenta colored text for recent additions.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-03-05, 05:46 PM
Forgot to add that: they get it at the higher level. Or wait, is that good? The point is that delayed access = less power, right?

erm.. that might be more balanced but it seems like certain spells might be intended for say a bard an be a second level spell but a third or fourth level spell for wizards while not being that powerful (or something like that) Instead i'd prioritize for instance he uses the wiz/sorc level, then cleric, then domain, then hexblade, then bard, then paladin, then druid, then ranger then any PrC. in that order would work better IMO though its a bit more complex and other base casters would have to be added

dead_but_dreaming
2007-03-06, 11:25 AM
erm.. that might be more balanced but it seems like certain spells might be intended for say a bard an be a second level spell but a third or fourth level spell for wizards while not being that powerful (or something like that) Instead i'd prioritize for instance he uses the wiz/sorc level, then cleric, then domain, then hexblade, then bard, then paladin, then druid, then ranger then any PrC. in that order would work better IMO though its a bit more complex and other base casters would have to be added

I see what you're saying. I guess it doesn't really have to be formalized, or you could just rule that wizard, cleric and druid (in that order) takes precedence in all cases and then spells unique to other casters are added on the indicated level.

But still, I'd like to hear someone say: "Cool. I think it's balanced!" :smallbiggrin:

Macrovore
2007-03-06, 03:08 PM
"Cool. I think it's balanced."

there. happy now?

Deus Mortus
2007-03-06, 03:11 PM
I want to play this so badly, but it seems rather broken at high levels, perhaps create some further vowlike class ability's as the caster progresses, for example to proceed further then 4th lvl it needs atleast 1 metamagic feat, at 10th level is required to take on an apprentice, something like that...

dead_but_dreaming
2007-03-07, 11:42 AM
Ok, I guess that's it. Thanks for the input everyone. I don't really want to nerf it further (except for the decrease in the amount of spells per day, see the first post) so I guess I'm gonna leave it as it is.

Roderick_BR
2007-03-07, 12:50 PM
Hmm... magic8BALL tried it once for his homebrew campaign: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34368