PDA

View Full Version : Master list of damage types?

Chaosvii7
2014-08-11, 02:41 PM
I've been working on some homebrew, but I'm looking to see what kinds of damage types are available for me to use for certain abilities and features. I've got a small list of stuff I know are damage types, but otherwise I'm wondering if there are more, on top of there perhaps being a list of them in the Player's Handbook?

The ones I know of are:

Slashing
Bludgeoning
Piercing
Fire
Cold
Electricity
Thunder
Poison
Necrotic
Radiant
Psychic
Force
Acid

Damage type modifiers - things that can modify damage for the purpose of resistances, weaknesses, and immunities:

Magic
Cold Iron
Silver

Any other kinds of damage out there?

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-11, 02:44 PM
I've been working on some homebrew, but I'm looking to see what kinds of damage types are available for me to use for certain abilities and features. I've got a small list of stuff I know are damage types, but otherwise I'm wondering if there are more, on top of there perhaps being a list of them in the Player's Handbook?

The ones I know of are:

Slashing
Bludgeoning
Piercing
Magic
Fire
Cold
Electricity
Thunder
Acid
Necrotic
Radiant
Psychic

Also I know they have monsters that are resistant to cold-forged iron and silvered weaponry, so I would consider those damage types as well.

I think Force is a type. Not sure though.

It's so weird that "magic" is a damage type. What has it? Eldritch blast?

Envyus
2014-08-11, 02:44 PM

The ones I know of are:

Slashing
Bludgeoning
Piercing
Magic
Fire
Cold
Electricity
Thunder
Acid
Necrotic
Radiant
Psychic

Also I know they have monsters that are resistant to cold-forged iron and silvered weaponry, so I would consider those damage types as well.

Magic is not a damage type.

Chaosvii7
2014-08-11, 02:53 PM

There are several features scattered throughout the PHB with grant resistance to damage from spells. While normally this includes energy types, there are spells that deal non-energy based damage(Eldritch Blast simply deals damage that is considered magic - no other type). On top of that, many monsters have resistance specifically to weapons that have not been made magic. While it isn't a primary damage type like weapons or the energies, I think Magic is absolutely a damage type because there is a niche of spells that technically just deal damage and are considered magic - thus, magic damage

I think Force is a type. Not sure though.

Totally is! How could I possibly forget Magic Missile? Adding that into the list.

HorridElemental
2014-08-11, 02:53 PM

Neither would be cold iron or silver.

All of these fall under weaknesses and resistances but aren't damage types. A silver longsword doesn't do 1d8+Str silver damage.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-08-11, 02:54 PM
There are several features scattered throughout the PHB with grant resistance to damage from spells. While normally this includes energy types, there are spells that deal non-energy based damage(Eldritch Blast simply deals damage that is considered magic - no other type). On top of that, many monsters have resistance specifically to weapons that have not been made magic. While it isn't a primary damage type like weapons or the energies, I think Magic is absolutely a damage type because there is a niche of spells that technically just deal damage and are considered magic - thus, magic damage

I would make a separate list of special resistance types then. "Non-magic weapons," "non-silver weapons," "damage from magic," etc etc etc.

Chaosvii7
2014-08-11, 02:57 PM
I would make a separate list of special resistance types then. "Non-magic weapons," "non-silver weapons," "damage from magic," etc etc etc.

THAT we can do. Updating the first post right now.

1of3
2014-08-11, 02:59 PM
Eldritch Blast deals Force Damage.

Chaosvii7
2014-08-11, 03:02 PM
Eldritch Blast deals Force Damage.

That dispels my beliefs on magic damage, then.

I added Poison damage as well because I realized that it's been thrown around since the playtests, so I assume it's survived all the way to launch. I don't know what that means for Acid, but I've added it to the post and pushed Acid to the bottom until I can get a yes or no on Acid in spells.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-08-11, 05:03 PM
That dispels my beliefs on magic damage, then.

I added Poison damage as well because I realized that it's been thrown around since the playtests, so I assume it's survived all the way to launch. I don't know what that means for Acid, but I've added it to the post and pushed Acid to the bottom until I can get a yes or no on Acid in spells.

Basic Rules has vials of acid dealing acid damage. Basic Rules protection from energy spell lists acid damage as one of the types it can protect against. Damage types list indicates that black dragons breathe acid.

Have you read page 75 of the free Basic Rules PDF? It lists the damage types. Acid is included.

CyberThread
2014-08-11, 05:08 PM
By your powers combined I am captain planet!

Chaosvii7
2014-08-11, 05:12 PM
Have you read page 75 of the free Basic Rules PDF? It lists the damage types. Acid is included.

Probably not, I wanted to see if there was any other types of damage beyond the ones that I could list off the top of my head.

ionoftheshadows
2017-02-03, 12:08 AM
Probably not, I wanted to see if there was any other types of damage beyond the ones that I could list off the top of my head.

isnt sonic its own damage type?

wilhelmdubdub
2017-02-03, 12:25 AM

sonic got renamed thunder damage

Arkhios
2017-02-03, 01:34 AM

sonic got renamed thunder damage

And it's been that way since 4th edition, which is... 9-10 years now? (Jayzus!)

Jelkan
2017-02-03, 06:37 AM

For some of us, 4th edition didn't really exist. Straight from 3.5e to 5e. That's how it worked for me.

On another note, I greatly approve of 5e. It exceeded my expectations.

Arkhios
2017-02-03, 06:46 AM
For some of us, 4th edition didn't really exist. Straight from 3.5e to 5e. That's how it worked for me.

I can understand the sentiment. For me, I was kind of shoehorned into 4th edition as the only DM I knew wanted to play the "new and exciting" edition when it was released. It was kind of a "either play 4th edition or don't play at all" -situation. I never liked it as much as 3.5, but I learned to appreciate it as its own game.

Anyway, whether 4th edition existed to some people or not, the rules within were still very much the new stage of design, so my previous statement isn't invalid: Sonic became Thunder some 9-10 years ago.

Millstone85
2017-02-03, 07:21 AM
a list of them in the Player's Handbook?Yes, on page 196.

ElectricityLightning.

Damage type modifiers - things that can modify damage for the purpose of resistances, weaknesses, and immunities:

Magic
Cold Iron
SilverI haven't seen cold iron, but adamantine is a thing.

That dispels my beliefs on magic damage, then.Not entirely, as "Force is pure magical energy focused into a damaging form".

wilhelmdubdub
2017-02-04, 09:47 AM

still to this day I might slip in the terms, "reflex save, fortitude save, sonic damage.." out of nostalgia for 3.5

Monavic
2017-02-04, 11:33 AM
A lot of us come from pathfinder where sonic is a damage type.

Arkhios
2017-02-04, 11:38 AM
A lot of us come from pathfinder where sonic is a damage type.

So did I, and had no trouble with it. But, I guess it helped me that I was open-minded for the short while when 4th edition was the thing for my group.

Newtonsolo313
2017-02-04, 11:54 AM
Magic missile deals force damage