PDA

View Full Version : Two Weapon vs. Multiweapon Fighting Feats

SosadhScath
2014-08-11, 03:49 PM
Hello GitP!
Rules question:
The Prehensile Tail feat makes any character with a tail (case in point that I'm asking about: a Silverbrow Human with the Dragon Tail) able to act as though he had another arm with which to carry weapons, perform actions, and attack.

The Multiweapon Fighting Feat states that it replaces Two-Weapon Fighting for characters with more than two arms.

If a character has the Prehensile Tail feat and takes the Two-Weapon Fighting Feat, does he automatically gain the Multiweapon Fighting Feat? (This thread assumes the answer is yes).

Where my question lies is what chain does the Multiweapon user then travel down?
The Multiweapon Path requires significantly heavier restrictions- an extra feat (Multidexterity) and an increased BAB (+9 vs. Improved Two-Weapon's 6).
So can a player with three or more arms take the improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat? Or must he take the Improved Multiweapon?

After all, Greater Multiweapon requires 15 BAB, which keeps a great number of multiclassers (like Rogues) who would happily spend the feats for three extra attacks each turn- from ever being able to take the feat.

Greater Multiweapon Fighting and it's ilk might make sense with such steep requirements with a naturally four-armed powerful attacker.

However, after burning two feats to get to Prehensile Tail already, I've always found this to be unfair and at my table I always house rule that any character who gained an extra weapon-wielding arm via feats may travel the Two-Weapon Fighting path and automatically gain Multiweapon Fighting.

Sample Style:
I have a player who loves to roll a Silverbrow Human Rogue/Druid/Rogue6/Swordsage/Assassin 9/Shadow Thief of Amn with Shaky and Vulnerable, then grab Dragon Tail, Prehensile Tail, Weapon Finesse and Two-Weapon Fighting as his lvl 1 Feats.
Grabs Exalted Companion at lvl 3, and Natural Bond at lvl 6, Craven at 9, improved Two-Weapon at 12 and Greater Two-Weapon at 15, and Persuasive for the SToA.
Full Sneak Attack, his Celestial Riding Dog flanks no matter where it is because of Island of Blades (and its always with him due to Int 3), and then he makes 9 hits of Sneak Attack.

If I didn't house rule, he'd never get Greater Multiweapon, and because it automatically replaces, he'd never get Greater Two-Weapon Fighting either.

How do you all deal with this issue?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-11, 04:25 PM
General consensus is that the prerequisites are a holdover from 3.0 that didn't get updated in the conversion to 3.5, and you should update them to match the TWF feat chain, especially considering the replacement text.

I wouldn't recommend it, but the justification I've used before is that, due to MWF's TWF replacement text, if you qualify for the TWF feats and you take them and have multiple arms, then the feats automatically upgrade to the MWF version anyway, and having a feat that you take that automatically replaces itself with an unusable feat is pretty ridiculous.

SosadhScath
2014-08-11, 04:47 PM
That's about what I thought. Thank you for the confirmation.