PDA

View Full Version : Heirloom IC

Pages : [1] 2

Arjen the Red
2014-08-11, 04:20 PM
Heirloom

All of you needed work. Your upbringings were as varied as the weather but one single thing (initially that is) was had in common: the need for work. You all had met each other a few months back in the Elfsong tavern in Baldur's Gate. You can still remember the hauntingly beautiful nature of the tavern. The stuffed beholder hanging above the main bar, the blueish-white drift globes that provided the only illumination for the rich dark wood decor, and the singing. Yes, the singing. The sound of a beautiful, yet mournful female voice. Looking back now it all seemed rather surreal.

It was in the Elfsong that you met Balda, a curious man who was known for setting up jobs. Each of you had met him independently and were continuously told to come back "in a few days" when he would have a job for you. The day finally did come and you found yourselves together for the first time.

"I know none of you know each other but please, don't be alarmed," Balda said, as you each eyed each other with curiosity bordering perhaps on suspicion. "My client has a particularly important task that needs your utmost attention. I told him I would hand pick a group that would possess the particular blend of skills needed for success." Balda went on to explain that the task was actually up in Waterdeep and that he had booked you passage on a ship leaving later that evening. When you arrived you were instructed to seek out a sage by the name of Geth Stormlight who would await you at a tavern called the Dagger's Rest.

The trip to Waterdeep was uneventful. In a few days time you found yourselves docking and getting off the ship and back on solid land, a change that the most of you greeted with open arms. As you walked about the Dock Ward you could not help but be amazed at how crowded the streets were, and in the skies, riders on griffons and pegasi speeding to their destinations.

You took a few moments to orient yourselves and then decided your next move.

Foodle
2014-08-11, 05:35 PM
Carric Galanodel - Elven Rogue

Time to go Carric thought as he reached down for his gear laying at his feet. He'd been up on deck leaning against the rail watching the city inch slowly closer, ever since the cry from the crow's nest called out. Probably not the best idea he thought when his leather let out a slight squeak as he moved towards the gangplank, the sea spray had left him with a fine coating of moisture over pretty much everything.

Moving off the ship to the refreshing solidness that was the wharf, he pulled free his shoulder length platinum blonde hair from it's tie, hoping to dry it quickly in this warm sunlight. Resting against some of the crates waiting to be loaded onto one of the ships nearby, he casually stretched out his muscles while waiting for the rest of their motley group to come ashore, and masking the unsteadiness he felt after coming from the rolling deck of the ship.

While doing so he took his time looking towards the city and taking it all in, he wondered why he'd never bothered to come to Waterdeep before now, with so many people in one place there would be so many opportunities for a resourceful entrepreneur such as himself. He's also heard tell of the undercity, Skullport, which might have been what kept him away. He preferred to stick to less dangerous work if at all possible.
Come to think of it, he'd forgot to ask the captain where this Inn they needed to be at was. Gazing up at the maze of building he hoped one of the other's knows the way.

niks97cobra
2014-08-11, 06:32 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet- Dwarf Wizard

The dwarf attempts to be one of the first off the boat. He looks around at the sprawling metropolis, "I would probably be happier underneath it."

He shrugs his shoulders and stops the first dock worker he can and questions him, "Know... where... Dagger's... Rest tavern is?" He tries to speak as slowly as he can, as not to confuse the chap.

Anubis Dread
2014-08-11, 08:49 PM
Ah, a new town after a refreshing sea voyage! Brimming with possibilities! Perhaps there was even a red wizard here? They were certainly hard enough to find, he hadn't had any luck so far. Still looking around for that would have to wait. They had a job to do, and they couldn't flake on that commitment just so he could chase after rumors. Besides, he freely admitted he needed some coins in his pouch. He was still wearing the simple garbs of a peasant, minus his good red coat and simple red leather hat. A vanity purchase that one, but he wanted a full outfit to go with it. Something that showed he was a wizard and not just a wandering farm boy. Not that he was ashamed of being the latter mind.

Jumping over the side of the ship to land on the dock, Milrok took a deep breath of the sea side air before joining his companion.

MLucas
2014-08-12, 01:24 AM
Belian Maison
Belian sighs, and relaxes his grip on the railing as he watches his new companions flee the ship. Blood returns to his hands, and he shakes them to bring back feeling. It's not that he was scared of the water he tells himself, it's just that there was so much of it. At least he'd had the enjoyment of meeting the others the distract during the voyage.
He sighs again looking at the city and the sheer volume of people, then follows the others off the ship, calling to them "Are any of you familiar with this city?"

Foodle
2014-08-12, 04:03 AM

Stepping away from the crates Carric replies "Can't say that i do, this'll be my first time in The City of Splendors" he says emphasizing the capitals in the nickname given to Waterdeep. "Though our dwarven friend there, Volshak? i think it was, is trying to get some directions" he continues uncertainly, indicating the dwarf conversing with the dockworker behind him with a flick of his head.
Looking back to the others, he shrugs unconvinced the dockworker will know anything.
Then holding his hand over his heart "Failing that, ol' Carric here will find us a way." he pledges with mock severity and a cheeky grin. "I think we're still waiting for the last member of our party though..." he says quickly looking around and doing a head count.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-12, 10:08 PM
The dock worker smiles at Volshak, a bit confused as to why he is speaking so slowly to him. "The Dagger's Rest is up the High Road from here in the Trades Ward. You'll find maps posted at major intersections," he says politely before turning back to his work.

Before Volshak can do anything else, two well armed guards approach him. They both look at him directly in the eye seriously, but not threatening. "Welcome to Waterdeep! You appear to be new to our fair city and as a member of the City Watch it is my duty to welcome you and speak the laws to you." The guard gestures behind him to a wooden sign pounded into the ground with a piece of parchment nailed to the front of it. "All are most welcome here in Waterdeep, provided you do not violate the laws. It is your duty to read them and follow them. Enjoy your stay." The guards give a quick nod and continue on their way.

The First Plaint: Crimes Against The Lords
Severe Offenses: Treason, Assault Upon or Impersonation of a Lord, Assault Upon or Impersonation of a Magister, Forgery of an Official Document

Serious Offenses: Theft, Vandalism or Arson Against the City, Impersonation of Guardsman or Officer of the Watch, Repetition of Lesser Offenses, Willful Disobedience of any Edict Uttered Against One by a Lord

Lesser Offenses: Unlawful Observation or Copying of an Official Document, Assault Upon Any City Officer Who is Acting in the Line of Duty.

Minor Offenses: Blasphemy against Lord, Magister or any City Officer

The Second Plaint: Crimes Against the City

Severe Offenses: Poisoning of City Wells, Murder, Spying, Sabotage

Serious Offenses: Fraud, Fencing Stolen Goods, Unlawful Dueling, Murder with Justification, Repetition of any Lesser Offenses

Lesser Offenses: Bribery of a City Officer or Official; Hindrance of City Watch/Guards in their Duty

Minor Offenses: Bribery, Unlawful Flight over the City, Blasphemy Against Foreign Ambassadors, Vagrancy, Littering (includes relief of human wastes in public), Brandishing a Weapon Dangerously or Threatening without Due Cause, Dangerous Operation of a Coach, Wagon or other Conveyance.

The Third Plaint: Crimes Against the Gods

Severe Offenses: Defiling of a Holy Place

Serious Offenses: Theft of Temple Goods or Offerings, Tomb-Robbing, Repetition of any Lesser Offense Lesser Offenses: Assault Upon a Priest or Lay Worshipper

Minor Offenses: Public Blasphemy of a God or Priesthood, Drunkenness and Disorderly Conduct at Worship

The Fourth Plaint: Crimes Against Citizens

Severe Offenses: Arson, Rape, Assault Resulting in Mutilation or Crippling, Magical Assault, Forgery, Slavery Serious Offenses: Robbery, Burglary, Theft or Killing of Livestock, Repetition of a Lesser Offense, Usury

Lesser Offenses: Damage to Property, Assault (Wounding), Assault on Livestock, Unlawful Hindrance of Business Minor Offenses: Assault (without wounding or robbery), Excessive Noise

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/182820/waterdeep_wards.gif

Anubis Dread
2014-08-12, 10:51 PM
"Don't worry officers, we'll keep things completely on the level," Milrok whispered as loudly as he could to the guard. Getting cited for being too loud was no laughing matter! They had to be careful, he didn't want them to get into trouble.

So their object was the trade district huh? Well that made sense. He didn't really want to leave the Dock District without searching for a contact, but the Trade District was the next most likely place a Red Wizard would be. He supposed there wasn't too much harm in going there first!

niks97cobra
2014-08-13, 02:20 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet- Dwarf Mapreader

The dwarf snarls a big as the guards walk off. Big cities are not for him. "Trades Ward. I'll grab a map, I don't mind lookin' like a tourist."

Volshak locates the closest intersection and takes a look at a map. He points towards the ship they sailed in on, "Its that way!"

He chuckles at his own joke and flips the map over, "Okay, its up that way. Do we got everyone?" He flips his thump in the direction the map indicates the Trades Ward is located.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-13, 04:50 PM
The smells of salt and sea eventually give way to air redolent of horses and manure as you leave the docks and enter into the Trade Ward. This bustling center of commerce for Waterdeep is a congested mix of pedestrians, oxen, and overloaded wagons. The sounds of wheels bumping upon the cobblestones is almost deafening. The district is filled with shops and apartments, guildhalls and taverns. It feels alive and welcoming on the main streets. The alleys, well, they are not often as nice, as the City Watch warned you.

After a bit longer of watching the dwarf fumble with the map you reach the Dagger's Rest. The tavern sits in the middle of a cramped block of a guild house for archers, a fruit and vegetable store, and a couple of other taverns. You walk inside an immediately are greeted by a woman of middle years, smiling and cheerful: "Greetings gentleman! What can I get for you? Food and drink? A room or... she pauses and gives each of you a quick once over "...a job?"

Anubis Dread
2014-08-13, 05:06 PM
Ah, the Dagger's Rest! Not quite as glorious as he imagined. But still, if the job they were on required them all to travel the sea and come here of all places appearances had to have been decieving!

"All the above I think, plus a bit of information on the side," Milrok replied cheerfully, taking off his hat and bowing a little bit in respect. "The job is the main thing though - it's what we all travelled this far for!"

MLucas
2014-08-13, 05:16 PM
Belian Maison - Human Cleric
"I'm all for getting on with the job, but it's been a long journey. Let's just start with a drink. My mouth feels like it's full of salt."
Belian looks at the woman thoughtfully for a moment, then asks "Actually, this job you mentioned - is it for Geth Stormlight?"

Foodle
2014-08-13, 07:08 PM

Finding himself rather impressed by the daytime bustle of the city so far, Carric quite excited to see what change darkness brought to the streets. Giving the woman a quick warm smile, he then casually scans his eyes around the room noting possible exits.

As the other inquire about the job and refreshments, mentally face palming when the priest gave their contacts name. Never feed a stranger information he recites to himself as he moves over to a seat against a wall and relaxes into it, quietly waiting. Maybe he was just being too paranoid, came with the job he guessed.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-13, 09:06 PM
The woman smiles again at Milrok, "If its food and drink you're wanting I would suggest the panfried lout and a glass of Moonshae almond brandy. We also just got in some casks of zzar." She pauses when she notices the blank stares all of you are giving her. "It's famous throughout Faerun...surely you have heard of it? She sighs, the gentle smile still on her face. "It's the wine Waterdeep is known for. I take it you're not much for wine drinking? Ale perhaps? As you like gentleman." She turns to Belian, Master Stormlight is over there in the corner. He is a sweet old man, honest and wise. He used to tutor the children of one of the noble families." She gestures to the corner where a thin elderly man is engrossed in a book with a glass of a fiery orange liquid in front of him. "My name is Tessele Swiftwater. Call me over when you're ready to place your order." With that, Tessele gives a quick bow and heads back behind the bar towards the kitchen.

niks97cobra
2014-08-14, 01:05 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
The dwarf gets a glass of ale and wanders over to the old man. Not much for small talk he sits down. "I hear we are needed for job?

MLucas
2014-08-14, 01:26 AM
Belian gets a glass of the zzar, and follows the Dwarf to the old man.

Foodle
2014-08-14, 02:34 AM

As Tessele pours Belian a glass of the zzar Carric stands and gestures for her to pour one for him also. Picking it up from the bar he walks over and stands near Volshak, interested to hear some details of this job they've traveled for.

Anubis Dread
2014-08-14, 10:17 AM
Well, they were there for the job after all. If everyone else was going to just go up and try and grab the details he might as well join them! Since the rest were letting Volshak take the lead he might as well too.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-17, 10:52 AM
The old man looks up pensively from his book. He smiles gently, a gleam in his firmly set grey eyes. "Yes, I do have a job," he says with a slight wheeze in his voice. He puts down his book and continues. "I need a family heirloom recovered. It's a sextant of fine quality, but not of a great monetary value. It has been in the Moonstar family for centuries. According to family legend, it was owned by a sea captain who grew a shipping business along the Sword Coast and was ennobled long ago. The story says that the Moonstar family is doomed without it." He takes a deep breath followed by a sip of his czar, looking each of you near the table over.

"The City Watch has been informed but they are not well suited for a task such as this where specific thieves are involved. A number of other items have been stolen along with the sextant and eye and Moonstar family would be greatly pleased if you could recover these items and the sextant. I can't offer you much, but 50 gold a piece is within my means," he added quietly, looking around the rest of the common room.

"Do you have any questions?" he asks, folding his hands in front of him on the table.

Anubis Dread
2014-08-17, 11:33 AM
It was like a ven diagram of everything Milrok cared about. Sailing, maps, family, history... how could he possibly refuse a cry for help like this? The pay wasn't the best, but it would keep him going for a while more. Besides, this was important to Master Stormlight. They HAD to do it.

"Well do it!" he answered immediately. "Just point us in the right direction and we'll get your heirlooms back to where they belong! Though I guess we should also know what sort of thieves we're dealing with that the guards can't..."

Arjen the Red
2014-08-17, 11:50 AM
"I'm afraid I don't know anything about the thieves. My assumption is that it was a simple robbery and they were not aware of the sentimental meaning of the sextant," he said. "The City Watch have been informed but they rely heavily upon those such as yourselves to fully perform this function. They know of the missing items, but not of the sextant. I'm acting without the knowledge of the Moonstar family out of personal loyalty." He takes another sip of his zzar. "And please, do not kill the thieves should you encounter them. I'd rather justice be done in the courts."

niks97cobra
2014-08-17, 12:07 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Any tips on where to start? Where was it stolen from?" the dwarf questions.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-17, 01:04 PM
"They were taken from Moonstar mansion four days ago. Stedd Moonstar, the heir of the house, informed me. He has not told anyone else in the family that the sextant has been stolen." Geth lowered his voice again and continued. "We don't know who stole it or anything about the thieves. Waterdeep is filled with thieves and fences to move stolen goods. I'm trusting you to figure out where it went," he added. He began to pack his belonging from the table up and put them in his backpack.

"I work as a sage in the temple to Oghma, The Font of Knowledge. I can usually be found in the Great Library during the day. I'll check here for messages a few times a day. Please find the sextant, and find it quickly." He bowed courteously to each of you and made his way to the door and back into the afternoon heat of Waterdeep.

Anubis Dread
2014-08-17, 01:09 PM
Hm... quite the puzzler they had it seemed. The thieves had stolen the sextant, but that wasn't public knowledge. So no-one would know who took it, because no-one knew had it been taken! And if there were a bunch of thief bands in the area, then who knew which one had done it...

"I think the best option is to track down a band of thieves, take them out, and hope that they either took the heirlooms or they know who did," Milrok mused. "I mean, even if it doesn't get us to our goal we'd have taken down a band of criminals, right?"

Foodle
2014-08-17, 02:59 PM

Heaving a great big sigh Carric flops down into a nearby chair "Four days... It could be halfway across Faerun by now!" he takes a generous sip of his drink, "What is a sextant anyway?" he asks looking around the room confused.

MLucas
2014-08-17, 03:15 PM
"I get the feeling that we could 'take out' bands of thieves all day long in this city, and it won't make any difference. Perhaps we should start at the site of the robbery - look at the scene and talk to the victim and their staff?"

Anubis Dread
2014-08-17, 07:01 PM
"It's a type of tool used for navigation. It looks like a telescope with some stuff attached to it," Milrok replied. "At least I HOPE that's what it is. The alternative is kind of icky..." Hm, he supposed it was kind of silly to fight every thief they came across... "I guess we should probably check out the scene of the crime. If there's a clue, I'll find it." the red wizard replied.

Foodle
2014-08-17, 08:38 PM

"Or we could, ya know, ask around. It's not everyday a mansion gets picked over, someone's bound to have been bragging after four days," Carric says gesturing nonchalantly with his wine glass. Noone ever tries just asking. "Though if we want to play detective, i wont say no to a walk. Probably best to go asking around after sunset anyway," he finishes with a shrug, taking another sip of wine.

niks97cobra
2014-08-17, 08:47 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"I bet one of the servants stole it," the dwarf grumbles.

"I bet its a halfling, too," he continues as he double checks and secures his coin pouch. "Maybe we should watch the mansion for any late night visitors."

"Okay, where is the mansion," he questions as he pulls out the map and studies it.

Investigation Check
[roll0]

MLucas
2014-08-18, 01:45 AM
"Hmm. How circumspect do we have to be? If we question random people in the street, the fact that the sextant has been stolen could make its way back to the family. Let's start at the scene, now, and start questioning people after dusk if that doesnt lead us anywhere."

Arjen the Red
2014-08-18, 02:56 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gSNKoPR_vxg/TxYVU9t8BtI/AAAAAAAABbk/Kt45NV6zI4Y/s1600/IMG_5169.GIF

You arrived at the Moonstar mansion shortly after nightfall. The well appointed home was located in the Sea Ward on the Street of the Singing Dolphin. A large, two floored stone building, it stood set off to its neighbors by a large collection of gardens. Guards stood watch at the front door but did not approach you as you walked up.

Anubis Dread
2014-08-18, 03:09 PM
Ah ha! The scene of the crime! Stopping for a few moment, Milrok casually flips the brim of his hat up so it becomes more pointed and brimless, rummages through his pack and brings up a magnifying glass that was part of his cartrographers tools. Packing away the rest of his tools, he casually examines the wall with his glass before nodding and hold it loosely in one hand.

"Excuse me good sirs," Milrok speaks to the guards as they approach. "Do you mind if we take a look around the estate? We've been brought on to deal with a... private matter," he explains.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-18, 04:05 PM
The guards seemed confused as Milrok asked his question. "Lord Stedd mentioned nothing of private matters to us. You should speak with Calen, the butler," the guard said. He turned and entered the house. A few moments later a middle aged man dressed in fine black cloth arrived at the door and greeted you all with only the slightest of smiles.

"How may I help you gentleman?"

Anubis Dread
2014-08-18, 04:16 PM
"Excuse me good sir," Milrok repeats, bowing a bit in respect to the butler. "Do you mind if we look around the estate? We've been brought on to deal with some private business. Which I'm sure you're well aware of what that means, but we were told to keep a lid on it so I don't want to say it out loud," the wizard admitted.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-18, 04:21 PM
The butler smiled weakly, "I'm afraid I do not know what business you are talking about."

MLucas
2014-08-18, 04:29 PM
"I'm fairly sure we can mention that we're here to investigate a robbery, we just cant give particulars on what was stolen. In fact we're not entirely sure what is missing - that's one of the things we'll need to establish."

Arjen the Red
2014-08-18, 04:44 PM
The butler's eyes showed no sign of comprehension. He simply sighed and walked back a step into the entry way. "I suggest you take your business elsewhere. Good night to you." The door closed in your faces.

"Hey! Over here!" one of the guards whispered after the door had closed.

MLucas
2014-08-18, 04:50 PM
Belian looks startled when the door closes in their faces, then turns to the guard, and in a low whisper asks, "Good evening to you. Do you know anything about the robbery that occured here? Given that the city watch have been informed, I'm a little surprised at the butler's reaction."

Foodle
2014-08-18, 05:22 PM

Carric hadn't been paying much attention to what the others were saying, he'd been distracted as since he'd noticed the guards posted at the door. You don't just decide, spur of the moment, to rob a place with guards. It was either planned or there was someone on the inside, he thought to himself gazing around the grounds and the windows of neighboring buildings, he was searching for places someone would be able to observe the comings and goings of the estate and plan this.

Looking back as the door clicks shut, he walks over to the others, "Any luck?" he asks.

He has Darkvision, so he should be fine to see things in the light/darkness of the cities night if it matters.
Perception: [roll0]

niks97cobra
2014-08-18, 05:45 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
The dwarf is highly insulted by the butlers reaction. "Here we are trying to help, and the ant slams the door on our faces."

A little quieter, so the guards can't hear, "If need be, I can try and charm the butler into being more forth coming. Maybe pay off the guards to look the other way while I cast the spell."

Arjen the Red
2014-08-18, 06:30 PM

Carric hadn't been paying much attention to what the others were saying, he'd been distracted as since he'd noticed the guards posted at the door. You don't just decide, spur of the moment, to rob a place with guards. It was either planned or there was someone on the inside, he thought to himself gazing around the grounds and the windows of neighboring buildings, he was searching for places someone would be able to observe the comings and goings of the estate and plan this.

Looking back as the door clicks shut, he walks over to the others, "Any luck?" he asks.

He has Darkvision, so he should be fine to see things in the light/darkness of the cities night if it matters.

As you scanned the grounds you found that all of the windows of the estate are either shuttered or blocked by thick curtains on the inside. Furthermore, due to the gardens, the neighboring houses are a good 300 feet away on each side.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-18, 06:44 PM
The guards waited for Belian to get closer and spoke in hushed voices. "I take it you're here about the robbery. None of us are sure what the situation is, but Lord Stedd is being very strange. He sits in his room all day, mumbling about how they are all doomed." The guard looked around uneasily, making sure no one else was around to overhear the conversation.

"I'm not sure what the big deal is about some jewelry getting stolen, but it Lord Stedd is certainly distraught by it. From what Marin over here overheard," he points to the other guard, "it sounds as if the rest of the family doesn't even now anything has been stolen. You're not likely to get any more information out of them. If you're trying to track down the goods, I'd suggest looking for information on the fences in this city. There is a lot of em. Do you now of Felzoun's Folly? That tavern is known to harbor a lot of deals. There used to be a female dwarf there that may be able to help you out." The sound of a window opening above startled the guard and he quickly jumped back to attention and motioned for all of you to be on your way.

Foodle
2014-08-18, 06:51 PM

"Ah not the reception we wanted," he replies to the dwarf, "Probably best to stay your fingers there though, people tend to hold a grudge once that stuff wears off." He then tilts head head in the direction of Belian and the guard with a curious look on his face.

niks97cobra
2014-08-18, 08:42 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"It seems strange no one knows about the robbery."

He looks to the guard, "Which guards were working the night of the robbery? Somebody had to see something... and this dwarf at the bar, is she good looking?"

niks97cobra
2014-08-18, 08:55 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Also, if you guards know, and the city guards know, how does the family not know?"

"Hey Marin," he says to the other guard, "When you overheard Lord Stedd, who was he talking too?"

Anubis Dread
2014-08-19, 09:05 AM
Milrok the Red

So it seemed as though they wouldn't be able to examine the scene of the crime. That was disappointing. Unless... his companions WERE keeping the front guards busy. Trying to look innocent, Milrok walked away bit before craning his neck, trying to see if there were many other guards inside the walls. If there weren't... he could try and scramble over the side wall and enter that way.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-20, 04:35 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"It seems strange no one knows about the robbery."

He looks to the guard, "Which guards were working the night of the robbery? Somebody had to see something... and this dwarf at the bar, is she good looking?"

"We were working that night. I don't recall anything out of the ordinary happening. But I did have a bit too much beer the night before," the guard replied, looking sheepishly at the ground after the bit about the booze. He remained silent about the physical attributes of the dwarvin woman other than a mumbled comment about her having a fuller beard than his own.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-20, 04:38 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Also, if you guards know, and the city guards know, how does the family not know?"

"Hey Marin," he says to the other guard, "When you overheard Lord Stedd, who was he talking too?"

"Lord Stedd was the only one home when it happened. He made us swear that we wouldn't tell the rest of the family when they returned. Said it would be too much for them to handle during these difficult times," he replied.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-20, 04:39 PM
Milrok the Red

So it seemed as though they wouldn't be able to examine the scene of the crime. That was disappointing. Unless... his companions WERE keeping the front guards busy. Trying to look innocent, Milrok walked away bit before craning his neck, trying to see if there were many other guards inside the walls. If there weren't... he could try and scramble over the side wall and enter that way.

Milrok noticed three additional pairs of guards walking on patrol at various positions around the perimeter of the house. They seemed to be very much on guard to avoid another robbery.

Anubis Dread
2014-08-20, 05:01 PM
Milrok the Red

Guards around the manor they had to get into to find clues? Looks like they had an adventure on their hands! ...is what he'd say if he thought his party was up for it. Or they he could sneak past the guards without at least one of them noticing.

Sighing, Milrok flattened his hat back down and tucked away his magnifying glass. One day... "Okay, lets go talk to the dwarf lady."

Arjen the Red
2014-08-20, 06:49 PM
Even this late at night (almost midnight by your estimation) the streets of Waterdeep were crowded; carts and wagons still moved a steady pace. Some shops and homes had their own guards posted while others simply relied upon the City Watch; patrols that passed by every 10-15 minutes. On the River's square you arrived at Felzoun's Folly, a four-story on the corner. You walked in. The place was packed with a mix of merchants and shoppers with a smattering of mercenaries. With all the noise and traffic, private conversations and deals were easy to conduct at the dimly lit tables.

http://www.ambient-mixer.com/images_template/e/3/f/e3fc254d8d9137aa506bd5c3572d98f6_full.jpg

Sat in one corner in the front area of the tavern was an orc who apparently made arm wrestling as part of his business negotiations. As you entered he was in the middle of one contest. Their arms shifted back and forth for a minute or so until the orc let out a quick laugh and slammed his opponents arm down onto the table.

You scanned the rest of the bar, but didn't notice a female dwarf right away.

Anubis Dread
2014-08-20, 07:33 PM
Milrok the Red

Milrok tried and failed to stifle a yawn as he looked around the tavern, wiping the sleep from his eyes. He wasn't used to being up so late... he was more an early to bed, early to rise sort of person. He almost wanted to say that they should just turn in for the night and try again for the morning, but unfortunately crime had an opposite sleep schedule than he did. If he didn't stay up, he'd miss it.

But wait, even if the dwarf lady wasn't obvious at a glance, this was still a bar. And an unsavory one at that! Nodding to himself, the wizard slowly begins to walk through the crowd, trying to notice any little details that might peg someone was a thief or criminal.

Investigation - [roll0]
...I don't care if Insight or Perception would get more valuable information, I have a godly Investigation modifier and I want to use it darn it :smalltongue:

Foodle
2014-08-20, 08:43 PM

Not immediately finding anything as they glanced around the room for a female dwarf, Carric turns to the others and says "One moment, i'll see if i can find out where she is," placing a restraining hand lightly on Milroks shoulder, before moving off towards to the bar.

Taking a seat he beckons over the barkeep and ordering a mug of whatever they're selling, before engaging him in conversation "Fine place you have here and busy too, a nice varied crowd, from what i've seen of the city it's much the same. Just arrived in town myself and haven't had a chance to see the sights yet, but hopefully that'll change. Anything interesting been going on?" casually scratching his ear and running his finger around the rim of his glass, while emphasizing certain words with subtle facial expressions.

Thieves Cant: I'm looking for a fence.

Also the last question stands if he does know anything interesting :smallwink:

Arjen the Red
2014-08-21, 11:30 AM

Not immediately finding anything as they glanced around the room for a female dwarf, Carric turns to the others and says "One moment, i'll see if i can find out where she is," placing a restraining hand lightly on Milroks shoulder, before moving off towards to the bar.

Taking a seat he beckons over the barkeep and ordering a mug of whatever they're selling, before engaging him in conversation "Fine place you have here and busy too, a nice varied crowd, from what i've seen of the city it's much the same. Just arrived in town myself and haven't had a chance to see the sights yet, but hopefully that'll change. Anything interesting been going on?" casually scratching his ear and running his finger around the rim of his glass, while emphasizing certain words with subtle facial expressions.

Thieves Cant: I'm looking for a fence.

Also the last question stands if he does know anything interesting :smallwink:

The bar keep smiled thinly and filled a mug of ale for Carric. "Things here are always interesting," he said, placing the mug on the table in front of Carric. "The Wards have been teeming with visitors of all different colors and shapes, the sounds in the air are a mix of many musics, and the food on the tables is as varied as a rainbow. Heljara just this day made a pigeon stew that was delectable!" He gestured to a far corner of the bar.

"This place is teeming with fences! I, unfortunately, am not one. Best talk to Heljara over there in the corner. She'd be the one to know."

niks97cobra
2014-08-21, 03:30 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
The look of disappointment on the dwarf's face when he does not see the female is quiet noticeable. He pulls up next to the elf. Once the barkeep is done with Carric, Volshak speaks, "Enough of the small talk, I need an ale, and a woman. I met dwarf woman earlier today. I was a bit tipsy, so details of her are a bit sketchy, but she was cute, that is for sure. She said she would be here tonight, in this fine establishment. I was hoping to run into her, if ya get my drift."

Arjen the Red
2014-08-21, 09:17 PM
Milrok the Red

Milrok tried and failed to stifle a yawn as he looked around the tavern, wiping the sleep from his eyes. He wasn't used to being up so late... he was more an early to bed, early to rise sort of person. He almost wanted to say that they should just turn in for the night and try again for the morning, but unfortunately crime had an opposite sleep schedule than he did. If he didn't stay up, he'd miss it.

But wait, even if the dwarf lady wasn't obvious at a glance, this was still a bar. And an unsavory one at that! Nodding to himself, the wizard slowly begins to walk through the crowd, trying to notice any little details that might peg someone was a thief or criminal.

Investigation - [roll0]
...I don't care if Insight or Perception would get more valuable information, I have a godly Investigation modifier and I want to use it darn it :smalltongue:

As Milrok scanned the room he caught sight of a small slip of paper wedged every so carefully in-between two bricks in the eastern wall of the tavern. He casually walked over and pulled the scrap from the wall then sat himself down at the closest empty table. He opened the scrap and almost fell out of his chair. The note was a message from one Red Wizard to another hiding out in Waterdeep, looking for Milrok!

Arjen the Red
2014-08-21, 09:19 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
The look of disappointment on the dwarf's face when he does not see the female is quiet noticeable. He pulls up next to the elf. Once the barkeep is done with Carric, Volshak speaks, "Enough of the small talk, I need an ale, and a woman. I met dwarf woman earlier today. I was a bit tipsy, so details of her are a bit sketchy, but she was cute, that is for sure. She said she would be here tonight, in this fine establishment. I was hoping to run into her, if ya get my drift."

The bar keep smiled thinly and gestured towards Carric. "I suggest you follow your elven friend there," he replied and then turned and walked into the kitchen.

Foodle
2014-08-21, 09:39 PM

Draining the rest of his ale, Carric places a couple of coppers next to the empty mug and slides it to the far side of the bar. Rising from his seat he tilts his head indicating for Volshak to follow and moves over to where the barkeep had indicated.
Giving his best attempt at a friendly smile he approaches the woman "Heljara is it? May we join you? I'm told you may have some information we're looking for."

niks97cobra
2014-08-22, 12:10 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak follows the elf over. He whispers loudly as he walks behind, "Don't forget to ask about the female!"

Arjen the Red
2014-08-22, 07:20 AM
What is Belian up to at this point?

MLucas
2014-08-22, 07:30 AM

Belian sighs at the antics of the others, and follows them over to the corner. This was rapidly turning into a pub-crawl.
Sorry, didn't have anything to add.

Anubis Dread
2014-08-22, 12:27 PM
Milrok the Red

Follow the Elf? ...why did that sound like the name of some kind of ancient fairy tail? Or a childrens story. Still it seemed like sound enough advice.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-22, 01:58 PM

Belian sighs at the antics of the others, and follows them over to the corner. This was rapidly turning into a pub-crawl.
Sorry, didn't have anything to add.

LOL! That was perfect actually. It helps me keep a tab on the pacing of the adventure. This won't be a pub-crawl the entire time!

Arjen the Red
2014-08-22, 09:23 PM
Heljara looked up from her dinner and motioned for Carric to sit. "I'd offer the rest of you a seat but that is the last chair!" she said with a sharp laugh.

"I heard you asking Thala about a fence?", she said casually. She leaned in towards Carric and lowered her voice, "I don't usually play the part of the snitch rat but this is a problem that you and your lads may be able to help with. A slimy bastard by the name of Kovic has recently moved into town. He and his crew are roughing up the rest of us good. No respect. There never was a problem before with every little thieving group minding their own business and staying in their own territory. Then the bastard rat Kovic comes on the scene and starts muscling in on the rest of us." She slammed down the rest of the contents of her mug and yelled for Thala to give her another. "The bastard has his hideout at a shop run by a guy named Hal in the Dock Wards. At least I think its there. I've followed some of his gang go in but once inside they disappear. Must be a secret room or something. Damn bastard is as slippery as an eel in summer. Anyway, if you can take care of him for us," she winked, "I'd be most grateful.

She paused in her story and waited, looking Carric straight in the eye.

niks97cobra
2014-08-22, 09:33 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak whispers to Belian, "Helping thieves to find thieves?" Volshak grumbles, what has his life become, he wonders, "...and the elf better ask about the cute woman."

Foodle
2014-08-22, 10:37 PM

Carric leans back in his seat with a low whistle "That's a steep price for a little information." Drumming his fingers thoughtfully on the tabletop he asks "What's this Kovic fella involved in? What territory is he working? And how many flunkies are we talking? Though i'm not sure my boy's would be up for that sort of play," hearing the dwarf mumble something about 'woman' he then adds with a quick look over his shoulder "My friend here was told a cute dwarven lady frequented this place too, and was hoping to meet her."

MLucas
2014-08-23, 01:40 AM

Belian whispers back to Volshak, "It's a bit unpleasant, I agree. I guess it's better to have a peaceful thieving community rather than a warring one though."
He grins when Carric asks about the dwarven woman, and whispers again to Volshak, a little louder this time, "So .. you're basically asking the elf to be your wingman."

Anubis Dread
2014-08-23, 11:55 AM
...how did that I miss that result from Investigate until now?? Must have skimmed it somehow

"We can get some more information for our quest and take out a bunch of villains all at once. I say we do it!" Milrok replied. He was eager to get this over with at this point. The sooner they were done or were taking a break, the sooner he could get to bed then take care of his other business.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-23, 01:56 PM

Carric leans back in his seat with a low whistle "That's a steep price for a little information." Drumming his fingers thoughtfully on the tabletop he asks "What's this Kovic fella involved in? What territory is he working? And how many flunkies are we talking? Though i'm not sure my boy's would be up for that sort of play," hearing the dwarf mumble something about 'woman' he then adds with a quick look over his shoulder "My friend here was told a cute dwarven lady frequented this place too, and was hoping to meet her."

The dwarven woman eyed Carric curiously, "What, I'm not cute enough for him?" She stroked her beard and continued, "Kovic is trying to take over the entire city of Waterdeep. You'd be helping the both of us. You get to Kovic, you'll find either the item you're looking for or the ones that have it. If you don't think your lads are up to it, I can get my brother, Marin, to help mop up a bit. He's an experienced man with an ax and is as pissed at the bastard as I am." She sat back in her chair and reached for something on the floor. "Take this map. It's the best back way to get to Hal's shop without drawing a lot of attention to yourselves. May give you an element of surprise." She leaned forward again, glancing at Volshak and giving him a quick wink. "So, are you in?"

Arjen the Red
2014-08-23, 01:57 PM
...how did that I miss that result from Investigate until now?? Must have skimmed it somehow

"We can get some more information for our quest and take out a bunch of villains all at once. I say we do it!" Milrok replied. He was eager to get this over with at this point. The sooner they were done or were taking a break, the sooner he could get to bed then take care of his other business.

Not sure, but at least you caught it! :smallwink:

Foodle
2014-08-23, 03:37 PM

"I uh- I um- uh-" he stammers cheeks flushing red, turning to Volshak for help. He'd mistaken the bearded dwarf for a male. Coughing into his hand to cover his embarrassment he looks around to the others to gauge their opinions before he carries on, hoping he didn't just severely offend her "I underestimated my friends here, it looks like we will be paying this man a visit" he finishes with a grin, reaching forward to move the map closer and get a better look.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-23, 03:52 PM
"No offense taken," Heljara said, blushing a bit herself. "You elves aren't known for appreciating the finer things in Dwarvin life," she laughed and pushed the map closer to Carric.

niks97cobra
2014-08-23, 03:53 PM
Volshak rushes over, "Silly elf, not noticing the beard of a sexy dwarf, I apologize my lady. Mind if I buy you a drink?" Volshak forgets about the mission completely.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-23, 04:16 PM
Volshak rushes over, "Silly elf, not noticing the beard of a sexy dwarf, I apologize my lady. Mind if I buy you a drink?" Volshak forgets about the mission completely.

"You can buy me two if you'd like!" she said with a smile.

niks97cobra
2014-08-24, 01:51 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet

Volshak stops the nearest bar worker and asks, "How much is a keg?"

Arjen the Red
2014-08-24, 10:11 AM
"If you're drinking with Heljara, a keg will cost you 1 gp," the barkeep answered.

niks97cobra
2014-08-24, 02:47 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"A keg it is then!" Volshake cheers.

Foodle
2014-08-24, 02:50 PM

Hearing talk of kegs Carric lets out a sigh and settles back into his seat, looking at the others and shrugging hopelessly "Not much we could do tonight anyway, he'd probably be out working. Easier to catch him when he's asleep after he's been prowling the town all night."
Stifling a yawn, he reaches across the table to Heljara to shake her hand "It would seem we have a deal. Now does this place have rooms to rent? I could use a few hours of quiet rest and maybe a meal."

Arjen the Red
2014-08-24, 02:55 PM
"Yes, of course!" Heljara replied. "Talk to Nolan over there and he'll set all of you up with food and beds, on me."

You all spent the remainder of the night as you wished readying yourselves for the start of the task in the morning.

Anubis Dread
2014-08-24, 06:19 PM
Milrok the Red

As much as following up on his lead was important, Milrok was beat! He could always do so when they were done with their task in the morning... when they were done with the job there was no other one lined up, so there was no press of time. For now he simply slept soundly and prepared his spells the next morning.

MLucas
2014-08-25, 02:39 AM
"Well, it's been a long day, and I'm looking forward to sleeping in a bed that isnt rocking, so I'll bid you all goodnight."

niks97cobra
2014-08-25, 04:34 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak strolls down from his room in the morning and eats a hearty breakfast. He brags or sulks, whichever the outcome was, of his success or lack of, to the group.

Volshak trying to get some roll:
[roll0]

Arjen the Red
2014-08-25, 09:19 PM
The morning came without incident. Except perhaps for Volshak. Minutes prior to his arrival downstairs, Heljara stumbled down grumbling something about being not that type of dwarf and if her father found out he'd skin the bastard alive. She looked over at the rest of you and bellowed, "You best get going!" and plopped herself down into a chair to eat her breakfast.

Once you all had gathered, you set out through the streets and alleys to the Dock Wards and Hal's shop. After a good twenty minutes of walking you had turned down one of the back alley's laid on out on Heljara's map when the sound of a struggle caught your ears. A crowd of sailor's, mostly drunk, had gathered around two well-dressed youngsters, a young man and his female companion, outside the entrance to one of the many taverns on this block. As you approached the mob was pushing and shoving the two, but the violence of the crowd seemed to be escalating quickly. The young woman was on the verge of tears.

Foodle
2014-08-25, 09:34 PM

The early morning air always made Carric feel refreshed and this morning was no different with the sea breeze fresh in his lungs the day was looking good, his peace was shattered though as they got closer to their destination. Seeing the jostling crowd he looks towards his companions questioningly before striding over to the edge of the crowd and with a firm hand on a shoulder, turning one of the sailors on the outskirts to face him, "Hey now, what's all this then?" he asks with a raised eyebrow.

niks97cobra
2014-08-25, 10:44 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
The dwarf follows closely behind the elf. He grips his warhammer and begins preparing himself for this crowd.

MLucas
2014-08-26, 01:33 AM
Belian grips his shield tighter, rests his hand on his mace, and follows Carric, standing slightly behind and to the right of him.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-26, 07:36 AM
The sailor turned and roughly pushed Carric's hand off his shoulder. "This doesn't concern you elf!" he yelled, taking up an aggressive posture. The air filled with the sound of a scream as the young lady was now prone and being kicked by one of the sailors.

MLucas
2014-08-26, 08:01 AM
Belian draws his mace, and growls, "It does now. Back away from them."

Not sure if rolls are different in 5e, but I assume not;
Intimidation [roll0] - trying to intimidate just that sailor.

Edit: Heh. Guess Belian's not very intimidating when he's backed up by a crowd.

Anubis Dread
2014-08-26, 12:44 PM
Milrok the Red

Well now, this wouldn't do at all! So many people ganging up on a young couple like that... all these sailors really needed to just calm down. Thankfully he believed he had a spell that could help with that.

"Alright, everyone time out," Milrok spoke calmly, reaching into his pouch and tossing a fine trace of dust amongst the crowd.

Spell time! Casting Sleep. I believe it's 5d8 worth of creatures and allows a Will Save? (DC 14).

[roll0]

Arjen the Red
2014-08-26, 02:51 PM
http://chapleau.us/Img/Mob.gif

Okay, encounter time everyone!

I am going to use the idea of zones from FATE for the sake of movement and attack ranges. This is a small alley that we will call its own zone. Assume that if you are on the ground level every sailor (and each other) are within your speed so you can move and attack on the same turn. I'm picturing the buildings having balconies that may be climbed as one action as well. If anything else comes to mind, let me know!

There are six sailors in this scene. Sailors 1 & 2 are the furthest from you and are around the young man. Numbers 3 & 4 are also further back and are around the young woman who is on the ground, prone. About 10 feet closer to all of you are numbers 5 & 6, with #6 being within five feet of Carric.

Milrok, please specify where you will target your spell, as Carric, Volshak, and Belian are all within range as well unless you aim at the end of the alley where sailors 1-4 are with the couple!

All of you have initiative over the sailors as they are occupied with the young couple except for #5 and 6, but you have the jump on them to act first.

Anubis Dread
2014-08-26, 03:00 PM
Milrok, please specify where you will target your spell, as Carric, Volshak, and Belian are all within range as well unless you aim at the end of the alley where sailors 1-4 are with the couple!

Okay I do that then. Target sailors 1-4 rather. Sleep does effect the lowest hp first, but unfortunately no way to guarantee we have more hp than all of them

Arjen the Red
2014-08-26, 03:32 PM
The dust from Milrok's fingers drifted along with his voice to the end of the alley where the first two sailors wavered in the knees (along with the young man) and slumped to the ground.

The sixth sailor raised his club and sent it though the air at Carric's chest. The elf, expecting this move, easily dodged to the side avoiding the blow. The fifth sailor rushed at Belian in a fury, but was much to rash in his approach. Belian also darted to the side a the sailor went flying past him.

1. Milrok
2. Sailor #5 & 6
3. Carric
4. Belian
5. Volshak
6. Sailors #3 & 4

Carric, you're up!

Foodle
2014-08-26, 04:51 PM

"Such a shame," he says dodging the sailor's clumsy swing and drawing his blades. "Maybe you should take a nap like your buddies back there," he gestures with his head behind the sailor, hoping he'll turn to look, before he swings at him, attempting to knock him unconscious instead of outright killing him. As they were planning to rough up or possibly kill this Kovic fellow near here, he didn't want the guards attentions to be already upon them.

Deception to try gain combat advantage so i can sneak attack: [roll0]; Well i think an 8 fails there anyhow.

Mainhand Attack vs Sailor #6: [roll1] | (*If* his deception succeeds) Advantage: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]; Crit damage +2 OOC Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18007632&postcount=20)

(Bonus Action) Scale the wall up to a balcony Offhand Attack vs Sailor #6: [roll4] |(*If* his deception succeeds) Advantage: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Sneak Attack Damage: [roll7]; (only if he gains advantage and one of the attacks hits)

i know you could once per combat in 4e, but I didn't see anything in the PHB about using deception in combat to create distractions. So feel free to Veto it if you like.

Also, if it's part of my movement (assuming #6 is down for the count) Carric will scale up to a balcony.

With a dull twang, he slams the flat of his blade against the side of the sailor's thick skull. Carric then ducks out of the way as the unconscious sailor drops to the ground and moves towards the nearby wall, which he then scrambles up to perch on the balcony above escaping the melee and giving himself some room to use his bow.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-26, 09:06 PM

"Such a shame," he says dodging the sailor's clumsy swing and drawing his blades. "Maybe you should take a nap like your buddies back there," he gestures with his head behind the sailor, hoping he'll turn to look, before he swings at him, attempting to knock him unconscious instead of outright killing him. As they were planning to rough up or possibly kill this Kovic fellow near here, he didn't want the guards attentions to be already upon them.

Deception to try gain combat advantage so i can sneak attack: [roll0]; Well i think an 8 fails there anyhow.

Mainhand Attack vs Sailor #6: [roll1] | (*If* his deception succeeds) Advantage: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]; Crit damage +2 OOC Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18007632&postcount=20)

(Bonus Action)Offhand Attack vs Sailor #6: [roll4] | (*If* his deception succeeds) Advantage: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Sneak Attack Damage: [roll7]; (only if he gains advantage and one of the attacks hits)

i know you could once per combat in 4e, but I didn't see anything in the PHB about using deception in combat to create distractions. So feel free to Veto it if you like.

Also, if it's part of my movement (assuming #6 is down for the count) Carric will scale up to a balcony.

I see the sneak attack option (p. 96) if you have advantage on the attack roll. I'll grant the advantage. Your damage takes the guy out no problem. I'll assume you hit him with the side of your weapon and its non lethal. You can use your bonus action to make it up on the balcony.

You can write out how the attack takes him down.

niks97cobra
2014-08-27, 01:39 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak decides to you use his warhammer, instead of directing too much attention by casting spells. He attempts not to kill, but to just knock out his opponent.

If possible, I want to move to the closest target and attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

MLucas
2014-08-27, 01:47 AM
Belian shrugs as one of the sailors swipes at him, then bashes him with his mace.

I guess non-lethal damage is in order. Not sure what difference that makes to rolls.
Attacking #5.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Arjen the Red
2014-08-27, 06:56 AM
Volshak stepped in towards the third sailor, hovering over the poor lady, and brought the war hammer swinging into his chest. It connected with a solid thud and he crumpled to the ground with a groan.

His buddy pivoted and yelled at Volshak, club swinging frantically. Volshak tried to side step it but caught a glancing blow to his left shoulder.

Belian had good luck as well; the sixth sailor rushed at him but tripped to the ground as Belian side stepped and put out a foot to bring the drunken hooligan to the ground. A quick whack to the back of the head and the sailor was out cold.

the fourth sailors glancing blow does one damage to Volshak.

Milrok is up again. Only the fourth sailor who just hit Volshak is up. The first two sleeping will wake up in a few more rounds though.

niks97cobra
2014-08-27, 08:27 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Lets finish this guy and get them all tied up!"

Volshak will swing his warhammer, attempting to knock out the last sailor (on his initiative, of course).

[roll0]
[roll1]
In case of crit [roll2]

Arjen the Red
2014-08-28, 07:01 AM
The last of the sailor's goes down with the swing of Volshak's war hammer. A calm comes over the alley. The young woman is sobbing as she falls on to the chest of the sleeping young man.

Anubis Dread
2014-08-28, 06:57 PM
Milrok the Red

Well that was easy thankfully! Though he had to cast a spell to make it go that way... he'd hate to think what would have happened if they hadn't shown up when they did.

As much as he knew they needed to move on with their mission, Milrok still had to walk over to the woman and make sure she was okay. "Hey, it's alright. They're all down now. I would suggest you get out of here though. Oh um... he'll wake up if you kick him or something," Milrok advised sheepishly.

Foodle
2014-08-28, 07:15 PM

Sheathing his weapons since they were no longer needed, Carric nimbly vaults over the balcony landing lightly in the ally below. "You're lucky we were here," he says walking past the sobbing woman to help Volshak tie up the slumbering sailors.
Looking up from his work he asks, loud enough to break through her tears "What started all this anyway?," before he riffles through the sailors possessions, taking their coin or anything else of interest they might have and giving the unconscious form of the girls' protector a rough kick in the thigh to wake him as he passes.

niks97cobra
2014-08-29, 01:20 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak rushes to tie the sailors up.

"What was that all about, and where are the town guards?" He questions loudly.

Arjen the Red
2014-08-29, 03:36 PM
The young woman's sobs began to trail off as she regained her composure. Her male friend awoke a moment later from his magically included slumber, rubbing his eyes and looking around with a confused look on his face.

"Thank you for aiding us good sirs," he stated when he finally found the energy to stand himself up. You quickly discerned that this man and his date were nobility, most likely trying to find an adventure in a part of town they had no business being in. "I certainly could have taken care of one of these vile ruffians on my own, but together they fought with no honor," he added straightening out his collar and jacket. The young woman thanked you all as well, still obviously shaken. She nudged her friend in the arm and whispered something in his ear.

"Oh, yes, of course." He reached into his pocket and handed Milrok a single silver piece and thanked all of you again. Just then the City Watch arrived, shaking their heads at the scene of two out of place nobles and the bound sailors, now beginning to awake from their stupors.

Foodle
2014-08-30, 12:40 AM

Carric chuckles to himself at the mans naive view of the world, "Honor and fighting is like racing a horse at night over uneven ground; it's possible, but it'll probably get you killed," he replies to the noble.

Bouncing on his toes and flexing his fingers, he shakes off the last traces of adrenaline still shooting through his body. "Hell of a way to start the day though!"

niks97cobra
2014-08-30, 01:38 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak holds out his hand, waiting for his coin. "Who are you any how, and what started all this? You didn't get jumped for no reason in broad daylight. These are sailors, not members of the thieves guild."

Arjen the Red
2014-09-01, 05:41 PM
The young man (more of a boy if it were to be told) pulled Volshak aside and spoke to him with a feeble voice, obviously still quite shaken by the recent events. "My name is Ran Grifstone. My family is quite wealthy and I would appreciate news of this not making it to my father or my lady's family. She is Dala Silmerhelve. She wanted some excitement tonight and...well...I thought the Dock Wards would serve as such." He looked over and saw the Watch approaching and let out a sigh of relief. "The City Watch will escort us back home. Is there anything else I can do for you?" he asked, placing a small pouch of coins into Volshak's hand.

Anubis Dread
2014-09-01, 08:48 PM
Milrok the Red

A coin? Milrok didn't do this because he thought he would be rewarded, he'd done it because things looked like they were getting hectic and he'd wanted to help... still it would be rude to refuse. The wizard awkwardly pocketed the coin, before deciding to approach the city guard to explain what happened. Someone had to after all, and he wasn't all that comfortable dealing with nobility.

niks97cobra
2014-09-01, 09:49 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Of course I will keep it quiet," the dwarf states, pocketing the coin bag. "You heard of any break ins in the local noble houses by chance young man? Particularly around the Moonstar estate?"

Arjen the Red
2014-09-02, 04:02 PM
Ran shifted uneasily in place and glanced around to see how close other ears were. "Yes, the Moonstars have had a bad run as of late. Like most noble families, they keep their secrets just that: secret. Stedd is a bit older than me and not much for having fun. He seems to spend all of his time locked away in their estate. There was a robbery at the family home recently and I think some of his late mother's jewelry was stolen. He seems unusually perturbed by the theft though. No one seems to know why some old necklaces would be such a big deal. It's not as if he was that close with his mother," he said.

At this point the City Watch have carted away the sailors and motion to the noble couple that they are ready to escort them back to their, much safer, quarter of the city.

MLucas
2014-09-02, 04:22 PM
"If my dont mind my asking, Sir, are you particularly close with Stedd, or is the robbery common knowledge in your circles?"

Arjen the Red
2014-09-02, 08:34 PM
"You're not from around here, are you?" Ran said, dripping with sarcasm. "Waterdeep is a city of haves and have nots. The nobility are always a target for robbery. But poor Stedd's family hasn't been able to protect themselves as well these days."

niks97cobra
2014-09-03, 08:34 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Well, enough small talk? Good day sir." Volshak tosses the coin bag to check the weight. Satisfied, he says, "So, on to Hal's?"

He looks questioningly at the rest of the room. "However, Heljara sent us this way so we could surprise them. We may have blown our cover. Carric, you have the map right? How close are we?"

Foodle
2014-09-03, 08:50 PM

Carric couldn't help but chuckle at the irony of the young nobles words. He was going to say something about it, but having the watch standing nearby made him too uncomfortable and he didn't want to draw any attention to himself, he just wanted to be away from them and this alley. Moving over to pick up their rope the officers had discarded, This might work out alright for us, the watch in this area will be occupied with escorting the nobles back to their estates, he thought as he carefully measured out lengths of the rope working it into a coil and re-tying it to his pack while Belian chatted with the snotty noble.

Carric nods to Volshak's question, tapping his pocket where the map was safely tucked away.
Once away from the alley he paused and sat down on a doorstep, unfolding the map to double check their course. "Not too far from here," he says after a moment.

Anubis Dread
2014-09-04, 12:14 PM
Milrok the Red

Blown their cover? Hm... "We were just going to bust in and demand answers right? If that's the case this could be a good thing." Milrok paused a bit to gather his thoughts before going on. "See, say you're wanting to take out a rats nest. If you go right for the nest, there could be a lot of rats out. But if you chase the rats to their nest first, they'll all be there when you burn them all. The guards showed up to scare all the rats back to their hideyhole, so they'll all be there when we get there, right?"

Foodle
2014-09-04, 07:30 PM

"I'm not sure answers was what our dwarven friend had in mind when she sent us here. She wanted him persuaded to shove off and leave the them alone. We're to assure that he agree's with her," he said smacking a balled up fist into his open palm. "That's not to say we can't get some information out of him either, though if his rats are home, it might make things a tad more dangerous."

niks97cobra
2014-09-05, 01:12 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"So we are gonna be the guys who stomped a group of drunk sailors and persuaded a local fence operation to leave in our first day in town? That's the kind of attention I want drawn to me. Bunch of bad guys scared and hiring assassins to come after us and a bunch of nobles paying us to play hero. What are we waiting for, lets go bash some thieves. The more the merrier."

The dwarf thumps his warhammer into his empty hand several times, signifying he is ready to bash some skulls.

"Do all of them need to survive this time?"

MLucas
2014-09-05, 01:33 AM

"We're not murderers. Or at least, I'm not. And I hope these thieves aren't either."
Belian eyes Volshak's hammer and shrugs. "Of course, if they attack us, we'll have no choice but to defend ourselves - but perhaps we shouldnt go in with our weapons at the ready?"

niks97cobra
2014-09-05, 04:14 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"You can't tell me you didn't want to knock one of those sailor's heads off." Volshak pauses for a moment, "and thieves are much worse than drunk sailors, I believe."

Foodle
2014-09-05, 06:03 AM

"It's all a matter of perspective really," Carric replies to Volshak's comment about thieves being worse. "Though i don't think we have much to bargain with besides our hammers, do we?"

MLucas
2014-09-05, 06:52 AM

"The threat of our hammers? The law? Would the guard do anything if we had proof that there's a ring of thieves working from there? I don't have a problem with injuring some criminals, it's just death is so final."

Arjen the Red
2014-09-05, 04:01 PM
It was almost lunch time when the commotion of the noble fight died down and things returned to normal on the street corner. The City Watch thanked you for your help and left to escort the young couple back to more suitable streets for them. "This bar is notorious for men drinking too much and causing trouble. You lads got off easy; last night's brawl was four times as many men. And a goat!" The guard laughed and headed back to his patrol.

Carric lead the way through the streets to Hal's shop. It only took twenty minutes or so to come to the corner where the shop stood. Your arrival was unnoticed by those on the street, busy with shoppers and trades men coming and going for their business affairs. From the outside you could see that Hal's sold new and used boots and a few other trinkets. Peering through the window you saw a short, think human man showing a pair of boots to a half elf woman. The rest of the shop was empty.

Milrok stood staring at the wooden shutter of the window to the right of the shop door. He wasn't entirely sure but he swore he thought he could make out the carvings of a message from the Red Wizards. He let out a sigh.

niks97cobra
2014-09-05, 06:29 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"I could use a new pair of boots," the dwarf says, looking down at his pathetic old, worn out pair. "Shall we? I know your probably better at talking to this guy than me. You found that sexy dwarf and didn't even know it last night."

Foodle
2014-09-05, 07:13 PM

Carric shrugs noncommittally then steps forward and pushes open the door, striding into the shop he wonders to himself how to approach the shopkeeper to gain access to whichever back room Kovic was holed up in. For now though he takes his time picking up various boots and feeling their materials, browsing what's on offer, waiting for the lady to leave, while covertly looking over the shop for any hints of a secret door Heljara mentioned might be here.

Looking for any hidden doors, switches, pull chains, boot marks leading into a seemingly solid wall etc.

Investigation: [roll1]

Anubis Dread
2014-09-05, 11:35 PM
Milrok the Red

Another message? At this point he couldn't delay. He'd been waiting for a long time to get in touch with his fellow red wizards, and if they were leaving clues around he had to follow up on them as soon as possible. Well he wasn't a red wizard, but he was one by blood. Which would mean something if it was a hereditary position. But he knew their ways of magic at least. In a way.

No need to mess about - not only was their next mission within, but it seemed like so was his chance to meet the a red wizard. Having little tact, Milrok walked inside of the store and immediately headed towards the man. "Excuse me," Milrok asked when there was a lull in the conversation. "I saw something on your window shutter outside. Do you have any information about it?"

Arjen the Red
2014-09-07, 12:31 PM
Carric peered around the shop nonchalantly but didn't see anything out of the ordinary save for Hal's excessive nervousness. The shop keeper seemed incredibly uncomfortable in his own shop at the moment. Carric kept a steady eye on him and Milrok approached but Hal failed to give anything away.

"I have no idea about those markings," Hal said when asked about the carvings into the wood of his window shutter. "I found them a few days ago but don't understand their meaning," he said before asking the group how he could help them.

MLucas
2014-09-07, 01:55 PM

Belian raises an eyebrow at Milrok's question, then asks him "Markings? What markings?"

Anubis Dread
2014-09-07, 02:19 PM
Milrok the Red

"I'll tell you later. Maybe," Milrok evaded for now. Though the fact that Red Wizards were now just magical merchants but still quite active was common knowledge, it was still more than a little rude to the members of the loose order to share too much information about their inner workings. What inner working there were in any case.

"In any case," the red wizard went on. "Our real reason for coming here is... sensitive. And for a certain man who's name begins with a K directly, if you catch my drift," he attempted to lay on the fast talk. "Apparently he's been playing a game of chess with our employer, and we've come to discuss terms for our employer to forfeit the match." It was a bald face lie, but he was good at those. He never had much talent for history or book magic, but when his father had deigned to teach him a little of politics he'd taken to it like a fish to water.

The Actor feat gives advantage to Deception rolls to pretend to be someone else. I'm not sure if it will apply in this case, but I'll roll as if it were and you can just take the first roll rather than the best if it doesn't.

Deception: [roll0] [roll1]

niks97cobra
2014-09-07, 03:41 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
The dwarf waits patiently to hear Hal's answer. In the mean time he roughly looks over some boots, letting a few fall over.

Arjen the Red
2014-09-09, 08:02 PM
Hal looked nervous, his eyes shifting quickly to all corners of the shop. "Yes, I think I do have a pair of black leather boots in your size," he said in an almost awkwardly loud voice. He motioned Milrok towards him and spoke in a whisper: "Look, I don't want any trouble here. I just help my cousin out. He's the thief around here. I don't want to be a part of this but he's family, you understand don't you?" He continued to quickly tell Milrok that his cousin paid him well to hide them in his shop. In exchange Hal was able to afford the shop rent, quite high in this neighborhood.

Amidst the comments of boot sizes and leather quality he managed to point out a secret door under a table in the rear of the shop that lead to an underground chamber.

"Have you decided on any boots gentleman? If not, I need to close up for the afternoon," he added, the nervous look still etched across his face.

niks97cobra
2014-09-09, 08:19 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
The dwarf likes what he hears. He loudly boasts, "I'll take this pair."

He then quietly continues in a hushed whisper, "Why don't you go lock the doors, don't want no one interrupting."

Volshak scans for for any weapons the shop keeper might use against them

Investigation
[roll0]

Anubis Dread
2014-09-09, 08:56 PM
Milrok the Red

"I'll just look for those boots in the back room then," Milrok replied, following where the man was pointing. So Hal was the thief's brother? Who would be up here in the shop while they went down below...

Covering his face as he examined the secret door, the red wizard could scarcely hide his grin as a plan formed. Of course it all hinged on if he could remain out of sight of both Hal and the thieve's below long enough, but it could earn them a strong edge in their coming fight.

Foodle
2014-09-09, 09:34 PM

"Not for me, no." Carric replies to the nervous Hal.

Figuring there must be someone within earshot, or someone watching the shop, that's making the shop keeper so nervous, Carric can't help but suspect the half-elf woman of being the source. Moving to a spot out of her view, he leans against the wall and watches her carefully.
"I'll just wait for my friends though," he calls to Hal.

Scrutinize the half-elf for anything suspicious, guild tattoo's, hidden weapons, boots suited for sneaking, etc.
He might just be being paraniod.

I'll cover anything that might count.
Investigation: [roll1]
Insight: [roll2]

I guess he'll never know with rolls like that :smallyuk:

Arjen the Red
2014-09-10, 05:13 PM
The half-elf woman looked made casual eye contact with everyone in the shop, took her purchase, and left quietly. Carric watched her go down the street from the window but soon she faded into the horizon.

Turning his attention to the store, Carric didn't see anything save for shelf after shelf of boots. If Hal had anything hidden it was effectively so.

Milrok could see the subtlest of gaps in the floor boards beneath the table that indicated a trap door.

"Thank you all for your business," Hal said. He looked nervously at the trap door and then made for the door. "Please....please don't make a mess," he whispered before walking out the door and down the street. Like the elven woman, he was soon gone into the horizon.

MLucas
2014-09-10, 05:37 PM
Belian Maison

Belian closes and locks the door behind Hal, then stands with his back to the door and mutters, "I didn't expect that".

Anubis Dread
2014-09-10, 05:53 PM
Milrok the Red

He was gone? Perfect!

"Alright, I have a plan," Milrok told the others with a grin. "But we should work out how we're approaching this before I put it into action. Are we going in hard and mean, or are we trying the diplomatic approach first?"

Foodle
2014-09-10, 06:51 PM

With Hal leaving them alone in his shop Carric can't help but glance wishfully at the unattended counter. Shaking his head he silently moves across the room closer to Milrok, pulling his bow free and taking an arrow from his quiver. In a hushed voice he says "Best to prepare for the worst, i'll cover the trap," he nods towards the table, "what's your plan? By the way Hal was acting, i'm guessing they're pretty free with the violence."

Anubis Dread
2014-09-10, 06:59 PM
Milrok the Red

Milrok struggled for a few moments, the pain clearly on his face. On the one hand, he was a bit of a show off and wanted to surprise his comrades. On the other hand, that was actually a horrible idea from a tatical stand point...

Sighing, he decided that his companions needed to know. "Hal is our targets brother, right?" Milrok began. "I'm a good actor, and I have a spell that allows me to take the form of another person. If I use that and appear as Hal, we can either gain his trust by making him think he's talking to Hal, or 'hold me hostage' to prevent them from acting brashly!"

niks97cobra
2014-09-11, 01:19 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"I hope we didnt make a mistake letting Hal leave," the dwarf grumbles. "Disguise yourself, I'll come down behind you. Say I'm a special customer. I can try and charm Kovic. We may be able to do this without a fight."

Volshak prepares himself by casting mage armor.

MLucas
2014-09-11, 01:49 AM
Belian Maison
"Hal was acting like we were being watched, but it can't hurt to try subterfuge first." Belian nods to Volshak, "I'll be right behind you. Or in front, If you'd prefer some armour infront of you."

niks97cobra
2014-09-11, 09:02 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"What? Cause I cast spells I can't take a hit?" He lightly touches the top of his warhammer."I thought I showed that against them drunks."

MLucas
2014-09-11, 09:20 AM
Belian Maison
Belian shrugs, "Up to you. I cast spells too you know."

Anubis Dread
2014-09-11, 12:17 PM
Milrok the Red

"Subtle it is then. I hope you have a dagger on hand you can put to my throat just in case though," Milrok noted, before concentrating and casting his spell.

If he hadn't had a good conversation with Hal this would be a fruitless exercise. As it was he was able to replicate the man entirely, right down to the clothes. "I'd best lead the way then," Milrok spoke in as close a tone to the man as possible, which was incredibly accurate considering he'd trained hard in the arts of deception.

After ensuring everyone was ready, Milrok opened up the secret door and lead the way down.

Actor is awesome. Not only do I get Advantage on checks while under diguise as Hal, I can replicate his voice with the other effect.

Wild Surge on the other hand is a little strange. Basically I roll 1d20 whenever I cast a 1st level or hgiher spell, and on a 1 there's a surge... IF the DM decides that I should roll. So it could trigger on every spell or no spells depending on DM decision. Unless I Wild Surge in which case it happens on the next spell pretty much no matter what. So for the sake of simplicity I'll roll a d20 and a d100 on each spell cast, and Arjen can decide whether or not it counts.

That said, casting Disguise Self.

[roll0] [roll1]

Foodle
2014-09-11, 05:51 PM

Carric squints at the illusionary Milrok-Hal and nods appreciatively. That's a handy trick. Moving forward he pulls his dagger from his belt and offers it to Volshak incase he needs it, before following Milrok-Hal down inside.
Once he's down, he glances up worried at the hatch trying to think of a way to jamb it open, he'd hate to get trapped down here and have no way out. Taking one of his steel headed arrows, he places it into the space where the trapdoor pivots, near the hinges. So if someone were to try close the door, it shouldn't close properly.
Happy with his work and hoping his fears were for nothing, he waits for the others to climb down and enter, while he takes up the rear.

Arjen the Red
2014-09-11, 07:42 PM
The trap door opened with a soft clicking sound. Light from the shop beamed down from the hatchway to reveal a spiral staircase that lowered 12 feet into the chamber below. You descended the stairs carefully, Milrok/Hal in the lead, the rest in order.

At the bottom of the stairs you emerged into a 30 by 50 foot room. Directly ahead facing the stairs was a 10 foot by 10 foot area on the floor inscribed with glowing blue lines. In each of the four corners a golden disc was set shimmering with its own light as well. The wall behind it held a few sconces with candles burning. To the left you could see two large tables, one in the far corner of the room sat upright with stacks of books and food, which the one closer to the left had been turned over, the top facing you. In the corner opposite the large table was a platform ten feet above the ground, a set of stairs leading up to it from the floor.

Just as everyone moved off the stairs into the room a figure jumps up from behind the turned over table, a short sword raised for attack in hand. It made a start towards you then stopped suddenly. In the better light you noted that it was a wererat. "Hal, you moron! You tripped the alarm again! he said lowering the sword. "Wait. What's going on? Who are these guys? he asked, puzzled. As he finished his question you noted two bandits emerging from the shadows near the platform and a hafling from up on the platform.

Anubis Dread
2014-09-11, 08:17 PM
Milrok the Red

Eesh, that would have been messy if they'd just walked on in with no attempts at subterfuge. As it was if they sprung into action right now they'd still have a stronger edge than they would have had even five seconds ago. But that was still less than idea when they could get a chance at an even better opportunity later on.

Okay, Hal had seemed kind of upset to have his brother hiding out at his home, and wanted nothing to do with this business. But his brother was a violent man and a wererat, so it seemed he'd at least be a little afraid of him... trying to put on the appropriate face, Milrok began to speak to his 'brother'. "I know I shouldn't be down here, but these guys demanded an introduction," Hal began.

"They said they had an offer for you for your ears only. Something about a surrender or a big haul? I don't speak thief..." Unfortunately Milrok couldn't take the lead here. It would be a sure fire way to blow their cover. But it could at least put the thieves at ease.

Deception: [roll0] or [roll1] (Advantage)

EDIT: How do you roll a 7 with advantage?! Well 13 is still above passive insight...

Foodle
2014-09-11, 10:51 PM

Hurriedly slinging his bow back over his shoulder, hoping the shadows and his companions shielded him enough from view, he then strides confidently forward to introduce himself. Bending at the hips and extending an arm forward in a slight flourish, Carric bows towards the Wererat, straightening he tilts his head to the side and appears to be looking down his nose at the creature before speaking. "While we were unaware of your... affliction," he pauses pursing his lips before continuing, "it matters not."
"You brother was mislead," he states after a second, "there is no deal to broker. I represent the interests of certain individuals, whose identities will stay masked," he emphasizes the last word.

"My employers are impressed with your initiative in trying to consolidate the various riff-raff of our city under you. But you are infringing on plans that are already in motion and you shall cease your racketeering while you remain a guest in the City of Spendors."

"Now understand this; this is not a request. Failure to obey will have most unpleasant consequences."

"You understand?" he asks tilting his head meaningfully towards Milrok-Hal.

Dice gods gimme luck!

Sleight of Hand: [roll0]
Deception: [roll1]
Performance: [roll2]
Intimidation: [roll3]

Oh wow, two 20's

niks97cobra
2014-09-12, 12:47 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak attempts to stay behind Hal, where he is not noticed. Once Carric begins speaking, he begins mumbling his spell, attempting to cast charm person on the wererat. (Wis save)

Checks to quietly cast the spell.
Sleight of Hand [roll0]
Arcana [roll1]

Arjen the Red
2014-09-14, 11:11 AM
Volshak quietly slipped behind Molrok and whispered the words needed along with a subtle movement of his hands. A wisp of a spark came in and onto of existence above the Wererat and which point he sheathed his sword and motioned to the others. The hafling and the two bandits also put their weapons away.

"Of course friend," the were rat replied. "But what specifically are you talking about? We've been fencing here for years. What has changed?" The wererat sounded completely confused. The bandits eyed Hal with stern eyes.

Foodle
2014-09-14, 10:33 PM

Bloody vague dwarves. Typical Heljara's recent wasn't just a couple of weeks, but years. Pausing to consider his next words, the sound of his blood pulsing loud in his ears, Carric then attempts to roll with it and bluff some more.
"This is mainly to do with those operating from River's Square, they need to be left free to act without interference," he says gesturing nonchalantly in the direction of the square, "the rest of the city is of little concern for the time being."

Not sure if i need to continue to roll or not since he's now friendly, but just incase, here's another one.
Deception: [roll0]

niks97cobra
2014-09-15, 01:09 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak, knowing that the spell will wear off, attempts to gather as much information from his new friend. "Do you know anything about the robbery at Moonstar Mansion by chance?"

Arjen the Red
2014-09-15, 04:31 PM

Bloody vague dwarves. Typical Heljara's recent wasn't just a couple of weeks, but years. Pausing to consider his next words, the sound of his blood pulsing loud in his ears, Carric then attempts to roll with it and bluff some more.
"This is mainly to do with those operating from River's Square, they need to be left free to act without interference," he says gesturing nonchalantly in the direction of the square, "the rest of the city is of little concern for the time being."

Not sure if i need to continue to roll or not since he's now friendly, but just incase, here's another one.

You can assume that the charm spell has the were rat as friendly as one could expect. The other bandits don't seemed worried about it at all.

Arjen the Red
2014-09-16, 06:47 AM
One of the bandits carefully crept up next to the were rat. You could just make out his whispers: "Fang, something is strange here. Hal would never bring anyone down here." Fang waved him away curtly, obviously completely charmed under the spell. The bandit seemed annoyed by this response but bowed back, keeping sharp eyes on the party.

"Oh yes, the sextant. My crew and I were hired to get that item. A curious fellow, gnomish as I recall. He asked us to hit up the estate, the sextant was for him and the rest for us. We made out all right. Nothing personal against them. Trying to make a living here, that's all," the were rat said at length. He walked back over to the table, lifted it back upright and set the chairs back in their place and then took a seat.

"The gnome is staying somewhere in the Trade Ward but only briefly. He mentioned something about leaving Waterdeep shortly," he added motioning for everyone else to sit. ""Now, who is it that wants us to stop our business?" he asked pleasantly.

Anubis Dread
2014-09-16, 09:29 AM
Milrok the Red

Milrok continued to listen in the guise of Hal, trying to look suitably weary and scared. He could chime in with a concern or two, but right now anything he said would have to be based on Hal's knowledge. And he had no idea how much Hal knew. Did he know about the sextant, did he not know about the sextant, he had no idea. Thankfully Hal seemed the quiet type when around so many criminals, so it wouldn't be unusual to stay silent for now.

niks97cobra
2014-09-16, 04:48 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volahak shakes his hand at being offered a seat. "We will not be bothering you much longer, please, your friends should sit."

He makes a sweeping gesture with his hand motioning for the other thieves to sit. "Our employers name is not important. It should be sufficient enough for you know that they are powerful, well funded and much more dangerous than you. For your sake, I urge you to leave town. Take your earnings here and head to Baldur's Gate, take up shop there, or anywhere else for that matter."

He pauses for a moment, before continuing, "About this gnome, do you have a name or anything else useful about him?"

Arjen the Red
2014-09-18, 07:04 AM
"Not much," the were rat replied. "We've never dealt with him before. His name is Orlamm Rivenstone, that much I remember."

niks97cobra
2014-09-19, 12:33 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"So, you gonna leave town buddy?" the dwarf asks.

Arjen the Red
2014-09-22, 06:46 AM
"Sure, we'll leave," the rat said. His companions looked at him, confused. They whispered some words to each other but didn't make any other moves. The charm over the were rat was doing its job, however, you had the feeling that when it wore off in an hour that he may not be so agreeable. Fang took out his pipe and lit it, taking a deep puff of the fragrant leaves. He blew a few rings into the air and kicked his feet up onto the table.

niks97cobra
2014-09-22, 04:15 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Great! Fang, Hal, would you two please accompany us to the door upstairs? There is one last thing I'd like to speak to you two about in private. It is about your family. I have some terrible news," the dwarf sounds very solemn. He looks at the rest of the thieves, "You boys have a good day."

He turns his back to the thieves and mouths silently to Carric, 'Knock him out up there.' He gives a nod to the wererat.

Anubis Dread
2014-09-22, 04:19 PM
Milrok the Red

Okay get in character... Hal seemed to not like his brother too much, but did take care of him because he was family. So it made sense he'd seem saddened at this... wait, did they even HAVE any other family? He didn't remember Hal saying one way or another, but if they had parents Fang would be squatting with them instead right? So... curiosity and confusion.

"Alright," 'Hal' agreed, not saying much more than that. He'd passed the test, anything else he could say would risk blowing his cover.

MLucas
2014-09-22, 04:37 PM
Belian Maison
Belian steps to one side of the doorway and nods to Hal as he passes, then keeps an eye on the thieves, waiting to see what Fang does.

Foodle
2014-09-22, 05:25 PM

Cyric's balls! This might work.
Tipping an imaginary hat and nodding to the rest of Fang's little group, Carric turns ready to follow close behind the Wererat as he passes.

If we get upstairs without Fang's buddies stopping us, Carric will wait til Fang's looking away or distracted by Volshak or Milrok-Hal, then smack him over the back of the head.

If instead we'll need to get him to 0hp to knock him out... aka FIGHT!

SURPRISE ROUND
Shortsword Attack: [roll0] | Damage: [roll1] piercing
(Bonus Action) Dagger Attack: [roll2] | Damage: [roll3] piercing
If either attack hits - Sneak Attack Damage: [roll4]

Initiative: [roll5]

Arjen the Red
2014-09-22, 07:07 PM
"Of course," Fang said, rising from his chair. "You all clean up the mess down here. I'll be back down in a bit," he added. He made his way to the spiral stair case and walked up without a care.

The last thing he remembered was the hard thud to the back of his head. His body slumped down in the middle of the shop.

Foodle
2014-09-22, 07:24 PM

Carric quickly catches the unconscious were-rat under the arms as he falls and drags him away from the trap door, to prop him up against a wall. Quickly and quietly he steps back over to the trap door and removes his arrow from the jamb, gently swinging shut the hatch once everyone was out and gesturing for some help to move one of the shelves to sit on top of it.

"What now?" he asks.

Anubis Dread
2014-09-22, 08:09 PM
Milrok the Red

Milrok winced in distaste. He didn't like doing things this way. But once they'd charmed the wererat they'd had no choice. Violence was not his forte.

"We can't kill him, and now that we charmed him and knocked him out we can't let him go," Milrok replied thoughtfully. "Our best bet is to put him in a sack and bring him back to our new employer. If they wanted him off the streets, odds are they can find some use for him."

Arjen the Red
2014-09-24, 03:54 PM
By the time Fang had been bound up and put to the side the sun had set outside. The shop was covered in the shadows cast from the torches and other magically enhanced lights from the street. A scattering of people walked here and there, but in general it was quiet outside.

Just as you began to deliberate what to do next you heard knocking sounds from the trap door. Muffled, you heard the voices of the thieves. "Fang! Let us up! What's going on up there? The banging continued for a few more seconds but the shelf was doing its job. It then quickly went silent as you heard the sounds of the thieves rushing back down the stairs.

Anubis Dread
2014-09-24, 06:51 PM
Milrok the Red

This wasn't good. If they were rushing back down, that meant there had to be a second exit hidden somewhere down there. If it was a sewer pipe or some other tunnel rather than a way next door it would take them a while to get back at least, but...

His diguise having ran out some time ago, Milrok began hauling up their captive. "One of you grab the other end and we'll run for it," the red wizard advised. "We could beat those guys if we had to, but it's better to just cut and run since we have what we came for." He did not like complicating a smooth con like this with corpses.

Foodle
2014-09-24, 07:45 PM

I just mentioned the area... I didn't mention the inn specifically did i? Seemingly lost in thought Carric worries, unable to remember if he'd given the rest of Fang's crew their probable destination. "Good idea," he replies unlatching the front door. "I'll range ahead, we might have a hard time explaining carrying him all tied up like that though. I'll try stay in view and warn of any patrols," with that he pops through the door and dissapears up the street.

Avoiding unnecessary notice
Stealth: [roll0]

Checking for dangers/gaurds
Perception: [roll1]

niks97cobra
2014-09-25, 01:59 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak helps Milrok. "Lets get this bugger out of here."

Arjen the Red
2014-09-25, 06:47 PM
The two shop windows only allowed a small field of vision from the streets so it didn't seem that anyone noticed what was happening inside the shop. And if any passerby did notice, they certainly didn't seemed interested to investigate further. You heard the chaotic sounds of movement from down in the hidden room, particularly the sound of metal clanging together and then silence.

Anubis Dread
2014-09-25, 06:50 PM
Milrok the Red

No time to worry about what that was, they had to get out of here. Giving Volshak a thankful look, Milrok lead the way out onto the street. Carrying their captive between them.

Arjen the Red
2014-09-26, 03:43 PM
The streets were covered in shadows as the dead of night set in. The crowds of people were beginning to disperse and it had become much more quiet outside. You figured that you would need to get to the alleys, and quickly to avoid making a scene.

MLucas
2014-09-26, 04:04 PM
Belian Maison
Belian closes the shop door behind himself after everyone has left, then follows the group from a short distance, acting as rearguard.

Anubis Dread
2014-09-26, 04:13 PM
Milrok the Red

The alleys it was then! If they could get their mission accomplished with nothing more than a little bluster and no bodies, Milrok would be happy to say the least.

Foodle
2014-09-26, 07:07 PM

Leaning out from an alleyway and catching Milrok's eye, Carric waves them over towards him. "If we keep off the main streets we should be able to avoid any patrols, and maybe Fang's buddies if they managed to get out."

niks97cobra
2014-09-27, 03:49 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak huffs as they carry the wererat through the streets, hoping this plan worked.

Arjen the Red
2014-09-28, 07:25 PM
You made your way into an alley a quarter of a mile from Hal's shop. With every step you took each of you felt you were being followed. You'd stop and look, but nothing would be seen. Perhaps it was all just nerves? Regardless, you wondered how long you had before this gnome skipped town.

Anubis Dread
2014-09-29, 01:36 PM
I didn't want to make a full on post that boiled down to 'Milrok keeps running', so... Milrok keeps running. Slowing down to work out who's watching them while they have a body between them and thieves on their tail would be ill advised.

Foodle
2014-09-29, 03:20 PM

He kept looking over his shoulder as they ran, the sensation of being watched causing his skin to crawl, but with his quick glances he wasn't able to catch sight of anyone so he kept running, keeping pace with the others carrying their body.
For what must have been the fifth time he looked back as the crawling sensation on the back of his neck started again, but saw nothing again. Fed up, as they rounded a corner he signaled to the others to carry on ahead and ducked into the space between a rubbish heap and some broken crates pushed against the wall to wait watching back the way they'd come.

Carric's going to find out who or if they're being followed. (Don't think there is a "Take 10" option, so hopefully he doesn't roll a 1 on stealth :smalleek:)
He'll wait for 30sec or so, if he doesn't see or hear anything coming this way he'll break from his hiding place and sprint back after the others.
OR
If a single person is sneaking/tracking them he'll probably jump out at them if he thinks he can take them.
OR
If there is more than one, he'll stay hidden until they're gone, then circle around and try connect back up with the rest of the group.

niks97cobra
2014-09-29, 08:38 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak continues to carry the wererat with Milrok.

Arjen the Red
2014-09-30, 04:15 PM
Carric waited silently in the alley behind the others for some time but nothing past save for a few drunkards stumbling out of the taverns near by.

Meanwhile, Volshak and the others continued their march through the alleys with the unconscious were rat in tow. They came to the end of the alley that opened up into a small square. Torches were mounted at regular intervals serving as street lights leaving no shadows in the area. In the center was a small fountain, dolphins frozen in mid leap, water spouting from their mouths. On the opposite side of the square from where you stood a half dozen of the City Watch stood on guard, talking quietly among themselves.

Anubis Dread
2014-09-30, 04:24 PM
Milrok the Red

Guards... hm... Milrok frowned in thought for a few moments. "I remember looking at those laws of Waterdeep... kidnapping isn't on there anywhere. Wounding is, but I don't think we wounded anyone. We just sort of put him to sleep. So that means... we can just go out, because what we're doing is perfectly legal," he nodded.

Wait... "Unless this counts as robbery," he admitted. "But we can't be stealing him because no-one owns him - slavery is illegal, so if anyone did own him they'd have an even more serious offense! So we should still be okay."

Foodle
2014-09-30, 04:26 PM

27... 28... 29... 30. Nothing. Sheathing his blades, Carric breaks from his spot and takes off at a quick pace in the direction the others took. Catching up to them stopped at the mouth of an alley "Didn't see anything," he manages to pant out, catching his breath with his hands on his knees. "Why are we stopped?" he asks looking up and past the group, "Oh."

niks97cobra
2014-09-30, 06:16 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"If they ask, he is just drunk." Volshak pulls out his flask, "My home brewed Bloodgarnet Vodka."

The dwarf tosses a little bit around wererat's mouth, being careful not to wake him. "Lets put his arms on our shoulders and drag him. Give the stumbling drunk effect."

Anubis Dread
2014-09-30, 06:23 PM
Milrok the Red

Was that really necessary? They weren't doing anything illegal... then again, the guard didn't necessarily know that. What if they assumed he was dead? Or that they were enslaving him?

"Alright, it will save some time if the guards don't question us anyway," Milrok agreed.

Arjen the Red
2014-10-01, 08:37 AM
As you walked into the square one of the guards notices the scene you have prepared and they cut off from their crass joke telling. None make a move for their weapons but one does approach the lot of you.

"What do we have here citizens?" he asked in a flat, even tone.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-01, 12:50 PM
Milrok the Red

If Milrok told the truth, the guards would just let them go. After all they weren't doing anything illegal! But the others seemed to think that was a bad idea. So he might as well go along with the plan as it was.

"Well, the short version is we're trying very hard to abide by the Laws of Waterdeep," Milrok replied. "See our friend here likes to drink a lot. And he gets noisy when drunk. Since excessive noise is a crime, and we don't want to disrespect the people of Waterdeep, we decided to take him home while he was still quiet but out of it. We don't want any trouble after all, but our friend here is a little less civil minded when he's had a few. I'm sure you can understand officer?"

niks97cobra
2014-10-01, 04:02 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak clearly does not understand the rules of such a hodge podge city, "Hmph, where I'm from you don't get stopped for carrying the drunks home, you get thanked."

Arjen the Red
2014-10-02, 12:24 PM
The guard casted a cold glance at Volshak. "It's our business to keep the people of this city safe. You would never know how many scenes like this we see that are not in good faith," he said, curtly. He leaned in and took a whiff and recoiled with a sour face from the smell of the booze. "Be on your way sirs. And thank you for your help," he said, dripping with sarcasm.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-02, 12:32 PM
Milrok the Red

Rude! They weren't doing anything illegal after all. They were just kidnapping someone after knocking them unconcious with a blunt blow to the head.

"Thank you officers! You're doing whatever god you may or may not worship's work," Milrok thanked the officer before moving on. The sooner they finished their mission the better.

niks97cobra
2014-10-04, 01:34 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Lets get to our destination."

Arjen the Red
2014-10-06, 03:40 PM
The sun was just beginning to rise when you reached the doors of The Font of Knowledge. Upon asking, a middle aged priest dressed in rough spun robes directed you to Geth's quarters, although he pointed out that Father Stormlight would not be in for a few more hours. "You all look tired, especially the wererat friend of yours. Perhaps you'd like to rest a bit before Geth arrives?" he asked, looking a bit curiously at Fang. The wererat was beginning to stir some and mumble in his semi unconscious state.

The priest led you to a comfortable waiting room appointed with three comfortable couches arranged in an L shape against two of the walls in the corner. A medium sized table was situated in the center of the room covered in books.

It is clear now that Fang is beginning to come to from the nasty bump on his head. This room is semi-secluded but any sort of a struggle would most likely draw the attention of the priests.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-06, 04:38 PM
Milrok the Red

"Thank you kindly," Milrok thanked the priest as they were lead to the waiting room. This... could get messy. He was all out of magic for the day, so he couldn't just put their target back to sleep that way. And he didn't really have the muscle to just pop them over the head again...

"Oh hey, these look like some interesting books," Milrok noted as he waited for the priest to leave. "I've been looking for an excuse to... HIT... the books. I'm sure they're full information about the local area that would KNOCK YOU OUT from how interesting they are." The red wizard gestured with his head at their hostage.

Foodle
2014-10-06, 06:11 PM

The sight of their destination set Carric at ease, he was half expecting Fangs friends to leap at them from every shadow and he'd found himself holding his breath as they darted around each corner, ready to throw himself into a roll to dodge the phantom attacks.

Easing himself down into one of the armchair he took a moment to close his eyes and relax, almost missing what Milrok was saying. Opening one eye he looked over Fang doubtfully, "Not sure the book would survive another good reading..." he says leaning forward and resting his elbows on his thighs. "Though we might not have much choice," he says standing and moving over to the waking were-rat before looking back over to Milrok for confirmation, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword.

niks97cobra
2014-10-06, 07:55 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Lets just tie him up," the dwarf says as he begins tying the wererat up.

Arjen the Red
2014-10-07, 08:57 AM
Just as his limbs were bound, Fang began to regain consciousness. Still dazed and more or less confused, he started to come to terms with his surroundings,

"Hey! What are you doing? Where am I? Untie me!"

Fang began to thrash about and his voice rose in volume.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-07, 09:47 AM
Milrok the Red

The fact their captive was a wererat actually worked in their favor. Since he had a bit of a snout on him Milrok could rap both of his hands around it to keep it shut.

"Come now friend, keep it down," Milrok urged in a friendly tone. "You've caused enough trouble already! We didn't have to bring back alive, you know. You should be thankful!"

Arjen the Red
2014-10-07, 04:23 PM
Fang was having none of it. He thrashed harder and bit down on Milrok's hand with a snap.

1 damage for the nasty bite mark left in your hand (You pick which hand you were using!)

Foodle
2014-10-07, 04:40 PM

As Fang thrashes about Carric flips his dagger into his hand and rests the point lightly between the wererat's eyes, "Calmly now. They just want to talk, but i hear being dead doesn't stop a priest from doing that. Your choice."

Anubis Dread
2014-10-07, 04:42 PM
He was using both, so... I'll say the right as that would probably be in the place most likely to be snappable.

Milrok the Red

"Son of a siren's left teet!" Milrok cursed, pulling his hands away from their hostages mouth, before slapping him across the back of the head. "Behave! Whether we came along or not you'd have been dead if things went on as they were. If you just relax you'll make it through all this alive."

Not... not the best way to deal with their hostage, but that had really hurt!

Persuasion: [roll0]

Wait... does this mean Milrok is going to contract lycanthropy? :smalleek:

niks97cobra
2014-10-07, 07:31 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak quickly fashions a noose and slides it over the rats maw, and then slides the knot down to tighten it.

Arjen the Red
2014-10-07, 08:31 PM
He was using both, so... I'll say the right as that would probably be in the place most likely to be snappable.

Milrok the Red

"Son of a siren's left teet!" Milrok cursed, pulling his hands away from their hostages mouth, before slapping him across the back of the head. "Behave! Whether we came along or not you'd have been dead if things went on as they were. If you just relax you'll make it through all this alive."

Not... not the best way to deal with their hostage, but that had really hurt!

Persuasion: [roll0]

Wait... does this mean Milrok is going to contract lycanthropy? :smalleek:

CON saving throw versus DC 10 I'm afraid. :smallfrown:

Arjen the Red
2014-10-07, 08:33 PM
With the loose tightened around Fang's mouth and a knife in his face he realized his struggle was futile. His limbs relaxed and he resigned himself to his predicament.

niks97cobra
2014-10-08, 04:51 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Do we just wait here?" the dwarf questions.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-08, 04:53 PM
Son of a sea serpent that hurt! Sucking on his wound, Milrok nodded before taking his hand away and replying.

"Do we have a choice? This is our only contact. Even if they weren't, we don't really have anywhere else to drop this guy off. Except a guard station I guess," the sorcerer admitted.

Foodle
2014-10-08, 05:01 PM

"Hopefully we don't have long to wait, we still need to go pay that gnome a visit before he skips town too," Carric adds. "Looks like it's going to be a long night."

Arjen the Red
2014-10-09, 06:57 AM
Your waiting wasn't much longer as soon after Fang was subdued Geth walked into the room with the slightest of smiles on his face. He wore a priest robe of red rough spun with a silver chain around his neck.

"Good morning my friends," he said as he approached Fang and looked at him curiously. "Am I to assume that this is the culprit who had the sextant?" he asked.

niks97cobra
2014-10-09, 07:18 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
The dwarf coughs, clearing his throat. "Well, had is the correct word. Seems he stole it for a gnome staying briefly in the Trade Ward. Figured we would drop this here thief with you, since, you know, you said the courts could handle it and all. Heard of any illegitimate gnomes lurking about?"

Arjen the Red
2014-10-10, 11:06 AM
Geth sat down in the center couch and looked Fang up and down with curious eyes.

"No, I can't say I have heard anything about a gnome, but this is a big city. I was hoping you would have retrieved the sextant by now," he said with a touch of disappointment in his voice. "Very well, you try to track down this gnome and I will take care of our friend here." He rose to his feet again and thanked you for solving one piece of the puzzle.

"Feel free to rest for awhile here, perhaps have some breakfast," he added as he motioned to another priest to enter and help him move Fang.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-10, 12:58 PM
Milrok the Red

"Breakfast sounds amazing," Milrok admitted, before yawning despite himself. They'd been up all night... he was not a night person. He woke up early and slept early, so all of this was taking it's toll. "And some sleep... if this gnome is as straight a person as our friend here he isn't going to be walking around in the day anyway."

niks97cobra
2014-10-11, 02:27 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Food and rest sound good. That rat ain't light," complains the dwarf.

(long rest I am assuming?)

Foodle
2014-10-12, 01:24 PM

Rest sounded so good about now, but the rat had said the gnome would be skipping town soon and he didn't want to lose their chance at a payday. "Do you think our employer would have some lackeys at his disposal? Besides us i mean, to watch the gates around the trade district for this Orlamm Rivenstone guy and follow him to see which way he's heading?"

niks97cobra
2014-10-12, 03:39 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak finds a comfortable spot to nap, completely exhausted.

Arjen the Red
2014-10-13, 06:37 AM
Geth looked to the ceiling for a moment, deep in thought.

"Yes, I can have a few sent out to watch the docks and the gates. However, I would recommend that you be on your way by lunch time," he added, as he turned and walked out the door.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-13, 12:26 PM
Milrok the Red

By lunch time... they might need to take a late lunch. Because aside from taking some time to have some breakfast, Milrok was intent on getting as much rest as he could. He needed at least six of sleep and two with light activity to restore his arcane power after all, and without that he was nothing but a dead weight to the others.

He hoped this gnome business would be resolved quickly... he didn't know how much longer he could keep his fellow red wizards waiting.

Foodle
2014-10-13, 01:13 PM

"Excellent," Carric thanks Geth and moves off to find some breakfast, returning with an armload of fruit, some fresh bread and cheese. Taking a seat in the shade on the floor he devours his food then stretches out with his hood drawn up over his eyes to get some rest.

niks97cobra
2014-10-13, 06:31 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
*whenever his full rest is up* Volshak hops up, ready and alert for the day. He grabs some fruit and squeezes it into a glass with a touch of mixer from his flask, then studies his spellbook. He then waits to go look for the gnome until everyone else is ready.

Arjen the Red
2014-10-13, 06:42 PM
Exhaustion had clearly gotten the best of all of you. You all are jarred awake to the sound of a large wooden spoon slamming into a medium-sized cooking pot. Geth stood over all of you with a thin smile.

"Get up, the lot of you! It's almost mid afternoon!" he stated bluntly as you each sat upright and rubbed the sleep from your eyes.

"It would seem that your apprehension of our friend Fang has caused quite the commotion," Seth said, the thin smile growing slightly wider. "After a bit of persuading, our friend Fang told me that he and Orlamm Rivenstone have worked together before. My priests looking out at the gates have heard that this gnome is holed up with his guards in The Gentle Rest, a small inn on High Road and Waterdeep Way. He's none to pleased that Fang is in the care of the City Watch now but is planning to leave by tonight via the South Gate. He is packing as we speak but still waiting on some unknown person before they make off."

Geth motions to the door making it abundantly clear that it is time to get moving.

Foodle
2014-10-13, 06:46 PM

"Ah, you're awake at last," Carric says from a seat in the corner putting down The brief life of Mr Spooky, a book he'd picked off one of the shelves and had started to read. "Did you realise you talk in your sleep?"

"Just Belian and Milrok to wake now. I almost went and checked on those men Geth put in place, but i didn't want you all to wake and find me missing.""Elves don't sleep..." Carric says through gritted teeth, opening his eyes a slit and watching the banging spoon as if he could cause it to burst into flames.

niks97cobra
2014-10-13, 06:47 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Why should we be off? This means we get to rest longer." The dwarf stretches and continues, "he is leaving the city tonight, lets just jump outside the gates."

Foodle
2014-10-13, 06:53 PM

Carric nods along, "Volshak makes a good point, we'd also not be held responsible for all the laws this city has if we take him outside it's walls."

Anubis Dread
2014-10-13, 07:52 PM
Milrok the Red

Oh wow did he feel awful! He wasn't used to sleeping during the day like this. Still for now he'd better get used to it. It seemed a lot of their adventuring would happen during the evening rather than during daylight hours.

"I don't know," the sorcerer admitted thoughtfully. "If we wait, it will be the only chance we get. It might be better to pull something during the day, so that we can fall back on an ambush if all else fails. If we have a plan B, we shouldn't skip plan A for it right?"

niks97cobra
2014-10-13, 08:00 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"Well, the gnome has to be captured alive, so as long as we don't kill anyone, we can apprehend them without breaking the law, right? Citizens arrest... that is assuming he has the stolen item on him." He wonders if his words a true for Waterdeep. Not that he was that worried about breaking the law, but more of does he have to break the law if he doesn't need too.

Arjen the Red
2014-10-15, 06:09 PM
Each of you looked around the room as if hoping the right course of action would present itself. Regardless of the choice itself, you all realized that you had to make a decision somewhat soon.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-15, 06:13 PM
Milrok the Red

Right! So the two options were to jump the gnome in his lair, or when they left the city. "Let's just go in spells slinging, so to speak," Milrok suggested. "We can fall back on an ambush, but we should at least check out the place our target is in case there's a quicker solution."

Foodle
2014-10-15, 06:26 PM

Carric moves over to where he was resting and picks up the boots he'd discarded. Pulling them on he then hefts his pack onto his back and picks up his bow, running an eye over the wood checking for cracks. "Fair enough," he says to Milrok moving towards the door, ready to leave. He was eager to go now, having had a moment to think over it a bit more and coming to the conclusion the gnome would hopefully have less guards with him while in a city with laws and such around to stop an outright attack, than he would have if he were to leave the city and travel across country.

niks97cobra
2014-10-15, 08:03 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak readies himself to go after the gnome.

Arjen the Red
2014-10-16, 07:01 AM
It was early evening by the time you made your way to the bustling Trade Ward where the dinner hour had arrived. The sun had just dropped behind the tallest buildings, casting shadows amongst the remaining rays of light.

The Gentle Rest was an old, five story inn located right on the corner of Waterdeep Way and the High Road. Behind the inn in the alley was the stable, currently filled to capacity with the mounts of the guests. (Orlamm's should be there as well you all reasoned.) The best the priest could do was to locate the inn; where inside (if he remained at all) Orlamm and the sextant were was anyone's guess.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-16, 12:02 PM
Milrok the Red

Horses! That complicated things a fair bit. Whether they approached the gnome here or set an ambush for them, odds were that the horses would give them enough speed they could just escape with ease. Still, what could they do about it? Let all the horses loose in the city? That was just asking for trouble. And they couldn't really seperate either. He guessed they'd just have to hope that the gnome never made it to the stables.

"I think the gnome will either be in the common room or in their room right? In that case, we should probably just head right in right?" Milrok suggested.

Foodle
2014-10-16, 02:01 PM

"We could make sure, in case he's left already," Carric says moving off towards the stables. The best way to get information was to ask the people everyone else ignored, and provide some incentive for their help too of course.
Calling out for the stableboy as he gets to the stables he asks "Evening, my friend was supposed to be staying here. He's a little gnomish fellow, might have given you a fake name, but i know him as Orlamm, probably has a couple of muscled friends with him. I'm hoping he's still here and didn't want to disturb the innkeeper during the dinner rush, but i thought you might be able to help me?" he finishes smiling and shruging his shoulders while holding up a silver piece between his thumb and forefinger.

niks97cobra
2014-10-16, 03:47 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak awaits the mans response, checking his own coin purse.

Arjen the Red
2014-10-17, 06:02 PM
The lad looked around to his right and left, to the coin in Carric's hand and then right and left again before opening his mouth.

"I may know of a gnome, but sometimes my memories not so good. The cleric's tell me a gold coin in my pocket does wonders though," he said
with a wink.

Foodle
2014-10-17, 07:10 PM

Carric gritted his teeth and cursed inwardly, he should have known to not try being friendly and just demanded the information. The boy was probably used to being ordered around and wouldn't have tried to con more money out of them. Forcing out a smile he dips his hand into his money pouch and fishes out a gold coin, holding it up between two fingers where the boy could see.

"What do you know?" he asks, indicating to the boy he would get the coin once they had the information they needed.

Arjen the Red
2014-10-20, 08:57 PM
"Orlamm, yeah, that name rings a bell. He and his mates are on the third floor. Room 306 if I remember correctly. Seemed a bit pissed lately. Grumbling something about a were rat not being worth two craps of a mule." The boy reached up and grabbed the coin from Carric's hand and stuffed it in his pocket.

"Back to work for me," he said, picking up a bucket and disappearing into the stables.

niks97cobra
2014-10-21, 12:52 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"To the third floor then?" the dwarf asks the group.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-21, 12:54 PM
Milrok the Red

"Sounds like a plan. If he is on the third floor at least he can't jump out the window without spraining something. ...unless gnomes bounce. Do gnomes bounce?" He didn't think they did, they were basically little people right?

Foodle
2014-10-21, 02:14 PM

"We might be able to test that if he's reluctant to give up the item," Carric says with a slight laugh. He wouldn't really throw someone out a window for fun, probably.
On their way into the Inn though, he does a quick check for any fire escape/back door stairs or spouting that might provide the gnome a retreat that didn't involve bouncing off the cobbles.

Investigation: [roll0]

Arjen the Red
2014-10-22, 03:56 PM
Carric noticed that every had a single door on the south end that opened up onto a balcony that ran the length of the building. On the north end was a staircase that allowed access to the alley and the stables. A few guests on the fourth floor looked down at the group while smoking pipes but aside from that, not much else was going on.

Foodle
2014-10-22, 04:49 PM

"Hmmm..." Carric looks over the stairs and back to the front door considering quietly to himself for a moment before turning to the others, "I'll come in the back and catch up with you up there and make sure he doesn't try sneak out, Room 306." Then indicating the the stairs at the side of the building, he starts into a slow jog over the steps before casually walking up them.

At the top, he listens briefly to make sure no one is on the other side then checks to see if the door is locked before entering the building.

Listening at the door

Not too sure what is needed for a thieves' tool roll. At the moment, the rolls below are just d20 + 2 (proficiency).
If needed dex (+4) or int (+1) to the rolls.

Carric wants to enter into the building, so if the door is locked he'll attempt to pick it.
Lockpicking: [roll1]

Once inside he'll attempt to re-lock the door and then jam the lock so it can't be unlocked.
Re-locking then breaking the lock: [roll2]
Possible extra d20's if needed: [roll3] | [roll4]

Arjen the Red
2014-10-22, 06:34 PM
Carric carefully made his way to the top of the stairwell in the back of the building. The door leading into the third floor hallway was unlocked. He slipped quietly into the dimly lit hallway and checked the number of the closest door; room #301. The gnome must be at the other end of the hall.

Should I assume that you are waiting here until the others make their way from the inside?

niks97cobra
2014-10-23, 04:04 AM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak leads the way up stairs.

Arjen the Red
2014-10-23, 07:20 AM
Carric leaned against the wall pretending to be a guest relaxing for the evening. He was startled as a door opened at the end of the hallway. He watched carefully as a small green-scaled reptile beast stepped into the hallway as the door shut closed again. It glanced down at Carric, stared for a moment, and then stood at attention.

Volshak and the others reached the third floor on their side and noticed a similar arrangement. Another lone drake stood guard outside the room that had to be #306.

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/318968/Guard_Drake.png

Anubis Dread
2014-10-23, 12:24 PM
Milrok the Red

Hm... he could try and blow the lizard up, but it seemed a little cruel. Plus he didn't have many spells that blew things up. He didn't like making things so messy. If they could get past it without hurting the thing it would be ideal, but Milrok didn't know how to make that happen.

"Any ideas?" he whispered to his comrades.

Foodle
2014-10-23, 01:37 PM

Noticing the others on the far end of the hallway, Carric raised a hand in greeting and started towards them. The lizard guards were unexpected, he wasn't even sure what they were, were they animals? Guard drakes perhaps? He pauses as he neared the room and looked inquisitively at the reptiles, "Excuse the rudeness, but *what* are you?" he asks not particularly sure they were even capable of speech.

niks97cobra
2014-10-24, 03:33 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
"What sort of inn lets drakes just stand guard in the hallway? Some kid could... well you know, get ate."

Arjen the Red
2014-10-26, 03:20 PM
As Carric approached the drake and asked what it was, the creature turned and shoved him off hardly, letting out a guttural grunt of a sound. It clearly didn't speak Common.

The drake on the outside balcony hallway looked over at Volshak and grunted as well but made no move.

Foodle
2014-10-26, 04:08 PM

"Hey now! No need for that, i was just asking a question." Carric says flowing back with the shove before straightening his clothes. He'd need to take care of this lizard thing, but after feeling the strength in that shove he didn't like the thought of tackling it head on.

"Fine then," he says turning on his heel and heading back the way he came and out the door, leaving it open behind him. Better to do this with some distance. Out of sight on the landing he unslings his bow and prepares an arrow. Hoping the drake is distracted he crouches low and leaning around the corner lets loose at arrow at the lizard.

Hiding outside

Longbow vs Drake (Advantage if hidden)

Attack: [roll1] | [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] | Possible Crit Damage: [roll4]
Sneak Attack: [roll5]

Initiative (if needed): [roll6]

Arjen the Red
2014-10-27, 06:52 AM
Carric's stealth was impeccable. Before the drake knew what had happened the arrow had found its mark it the soft spot below the collar bone. The lizard fell to the ground letting out a sickening wheezing sound; the arrow must have punctured one of its lungs. It tried to rise but was unable instead letting out a yell in a language you didn't understand while pounding on the door to room 306.

Upon hearing the commotion the second drakes spun on his heel, opened the door, and rushed into the room.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-27, 12:03 PM
Milrok the Red

The drake was out of their way. Sure it was still in the room, but if he could just burst in and sleep the gnome they could get away with no risk of them escaping before hand!

Sliding out into the hallway, Milrok caught his foot in the door before it closed before swinging it open. "Halt in the name of the law! Wait... we're not the law... halt in the name of us!"

Foodle
2014-10-27, 02:23 PM

Nice shot, Carric congratulated himself before cursing softly when the drake starting pounding on the door. Rushing forward and drawing his dagger he was ready to end the drakes suffering if it wasn't dead by the time he got to it.
Then pressing his back to the wall next to the door his longbow exchanged for his blades, he waits quietly in ambush, waiting for something to check what the banging was.

Is the drake still alive? If so Carric will end it. Then wait out of sight next to the door.
(If needed)Dagger @ Dying Drake: Advantage vs Prone

Attack: [roll0] | [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Sneak Attack: [roll3]

If the drake is dead when he gets there, he'll just wait by the side of the door and ready a action to attack and try knock out whatever comes through the door, if anything. (using the above rolls i guess)

niks97cobra
2014-10-27, 05:32 PM
Volshak Bloodgarnet
Volshak awaits to help in whatever way possible.