PDA

View Full Version : Player Help An unusual Gestalt build.

PraxisVetli
2014-08-11, 04:28 PM
So, I have a buddy wanting to play a Dragonkin Artificer//Dragonfire Adept.
Obviously, there are some optimal routes here, but we're specifically just doing whack things here.
But.
We're having some confusion. None of us have seen either of these classes in play before, so we don't know a lot of what to do.
Now, we did find janusjones' DFA handbook, and it's immensely helpful.
But with artificer, we don't know what to do.
It seems like the class is fairly self sufficient, should we put the RHD on the artificer side? Then just take Forge ring at 12/15?

This would allow him to focus his feat selection more on DFA, which is his main schtick (hence the race).

PraxisVetli
2014-08-11, 05:50 PM
Also, are there any prestige classes that progress DFA? My google-fu turned up negative, but maybe I didn't know what to look for?

Aegis013
2014-08-11, 05:58 PM
Anything that progresses Arcane Spellcasting should progress DFA's invocations in the same manner it would for a warlock. There aren't any PrCs that directly progress the breath weapon though.

A 1 level dip into Heir of Syberis is still a possible consideration, as it will improve the Breath of Syberis Dragonmarked feat, making it add 2d6 to the breath weapon instead of 1d6. That 2d6 really gets impressive when used in conjunction with Tiamat's Fivefold Breath, giving a total of 10d6 bonus damage.

PraxisVetli
2014-08-11, 06:19 PM
Anything that progresses Arcane Spellcasting should progress DFA's invocations in the same manner it would for a warlock. There aren't any PrCs that directly progress the breath weapon though.

A 1 level dip into Heir of Syberis is still a possible consideration, as it will improve the Breath of Syberis Dragonmarked feat, making it add 2d6 to the breath weapon instead of 1d6. That 2d6 really gets impressive when used in conjunction with Tiamat's Fivefold Breath, giving a total of 10d6 bonus damage.

Where is that?

ThatKreacher
2014-08-11, 06:28 PM
In the sidebar at the bottom of page 24 of Dragon Magic it discusses the advancement of a the DFA adept in prestige classes. Invocations known are increased and so is breath weapon damage.

Aegis013
2014-08-11, 06:31 PM
Where is that?

The PrC is in Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 80. It may need some slight alterations for a non Eberron game. I'm not 100% sure on the feat. They're both from Eberron though.

Edit: The feat is from an Eberron Setting book called Dragonmarked. It took me a bit to find it.

PraxisVetli
2014-08-11, 07:14 PM
In the sidebar at the bottom of page 24 of Dragon Magic it discusses the advancement of a the DFA adept in prestige classes. Invocations known are increased and so is breath weapon damage.
Duly Noted!!
Off to go read that..

The PrC is in Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 80. It may need some slight alterations for a non Eberron game. I'm not 100% sure on the feat. They're both from Eberron though.

Edit: The feat is from an Eberron Setting book called Dragonmarked. It took me a bit to find it.

Right on, I'll check that out too!

Okay. So, upon reading the sidebar, What classes are suggested?
Though the way I look at it, I don't know that any are particularly necessary..?

Aegis013
2014-08-11, 07:44 PM
Honestly, I don't recommend taking many levels of PrCs for a DFA. It's hard to match the benefit of Tiamat's Fivefold Breath late game, and you won't get breath effects from PrCs.

PraxisVetli
2014-08-11, 08:54 PM
Honestly, I don't recommend taking many levels of PrCs for a DFA. It's hard to match the benefit of Tiamat's Fivefold Breath late game, and you won't get breath effects from PrCs.

That's what I was seeing too.
So then.. If he just goes Rhd7/Artificer13//DFA20, is that fine?
It's just rare to see such a simple build it seems.

Aegis013
2014-08-13, 04:20 PM
Sure that's fine, and simplicity and elegance are great, but it won't hurt if you/he wants to take up to 5 levels of PrCs (especially at levels 16-20) on the DFA side, if you can find some interesting dips. Since you can pick up the biggest baddest breath effect at 15.

Taking a dip into Heir of Siberys I mentioned earlier and a dip into Mindbender for telepathy and the Mindsight feat are potentially interesting options, for example, but they're not strictly going to be total straight improvements.