PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question on BAB

1pwny
2014-08-11, 07:48 PM
This is just a really quick question that's been bothering me for a while.

So I take levels in two classes; one gives me +4 BAB, and the other +3. So is my BAB +7/+2 or just +7?

To rephrase that, if the BAB would stack to give iterative attacks, but the BAB is from different classes, do I get the iterative attacks?

This hasn't actually come up in any games/characters I've played, but I was wondering nonetheless.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-11, 07:54 PM

So I take levels in two classes; one gives me +4 BAB, and the other +3. So is my BAB +7/+2 or just +7?

To rephrase that, if the BAB would stack to give iterative attacks, but the BAB is from different classes, do I get the iterative attacks?

This hasn't actually come up in any games/characters I've played, but I was wondering nonetheless.

A character can, in a full attack, make additional attacks beyond the first at a cumulative -5 BAB (that is, first attack is at -0, second is at -5, third is at -10, and so on), with a maximum of four attacks per full attack action and a maximum penalty less than (and not equal to) their BAB (hence only getting a second attack at +6 BAB). Doesn't matter where the BAB is from, even if BAB progressions are of different levels. A fighter 2/rogue 3/wizard four has BAB +2/+2/+2 respectively, for a BAB of +6. Thus, they also gain a second attack at +1 BAB.

TL;DR yes BAB from different classes stacks for determining number of attacks.

Khedrac
2014-08-12, 02:14 AM
Actually a BAB or Base Attack Bonus is never "+7/+2" - it is simply "+7", however WotC usually write it as "+7/+2" to remind people about the iterative attacks. (The BAB is 7, then one iterative is available at +2.)

Anyway this means that when you add BAB gained from different classes you just look at the total to determine iterative attacks.

AnonymousPepper
2014-08-12, 03:10 AM
Actually a BAB or Base Attack Bonus is never "+7/+2" - it is simply "+7", however WotC usually write it as "+7/+2" to remind people about the iterative attacks. (The BAB is 7, then one iterative is available at +2.)

Anyway this means that when you add BAB gained from different classes you just look at the total to determine iterative attacks.

No, it is +7/+2, because you stop gaining iteratives after four attacks, thus your BAB at high levels should be properly written as +30/+25/+20/+15, not +30, because the former specifies that there is a separate rule about iteratives beyond the fourth, and the latter does not.

Chronos
2014-08-12, 01:20 PM
What does that have to do with the fact that your BAB is only one number? And how are you getting a BAB of +30, even at high levels? A 20th-level fighter has a BAB of +20, and even a 40th-level fighter has a BAB of +20 and an EAB (epic attack bonus) of +10.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-12, 01:45 PM
No, it is +7/+2, because you stop gaining iteratives after four attacks, thus your BAB at high levels should be properly written as +30/+25/+20/+15, not +30, because the former specifies that there is a separate rule about iteratives beyond the fourth, and the latter does not.

What does that have to do with the fact that your BAB is only one number? And how are you getting a BAB of +30, even at high levels? A 20th-level fighter has a BAB of +20, and even a 40th-level fighter has a BAB of +20 and an EAB (epic attack bonus) of +10.

What Chronos said pretty much sums up epic-level attack bonuses; there's a sidebar in the DMG (page 207) that describes the difference between base attack bonus and epic attack bonus. Because having more than 20 monster HD does not make something an "epic" creature, creatures with hit dice that would grant a BAB of +21 or higher can in fact have BAB of greater than 20; the example given is a 21-HD titan with a base attack of +21. This is why there is, in addition to a class-level BAB cap of whatever you get out of the first 20 levels, a limit of four attacks per full attack action.

jjcrpntr
2014-08-12, 01:57 PM

Simple answer, yes they stack to give you the secondary attack once your BAB reaches 6. You get an extra attack per round every 5 points of BAB after level 6. So at a bab of 6/11/16 you get a another attack for 4 total swings on a full round action at BAB 18

This came up with me on my first 3.5 character. I had never played table top gaming before. I was looking at taking my cleric into the war priest PC but didn't want to lose out on those extra attacks. Thankfully my DM at the time was patient and explained how it worked.