PDA

View Full Version : swift hunter, greatbow, mounted archery

questionmark693
2014-08-11, 09:38 PM
I'm playing a swift hunter for the first time. I get an EWP feat for free, and I want it to be in greatbow.....but I can't find a way to use it on a mount. Does anybody know of a way to make it happen?

Flickerdart
2014-08-11, 09:51 PM
You can't Skirmish while mounted anyway.

Rebel7284
2014-08-11, 10:32 PM
You can't Skirmish while mounted anyway.

As I recall, there was a dragon magazine article that allowed it, but in exchange you could ONLY skirmish while mounted.

Darrin
2014-08-11, 10:39 PM
but I can't find a way to use it on a mount.

Give your mount a Pearl of Speech (600 GP, MIC) and a Talisman of the Disk (500 GP, MIC). Have your mount activate the disk, and stand on it while you direct your mount to move around the battlefield.

Another option would be to use a Bone Bow (Frostburn) instead. Mechanically, it works just like a composite greatbow (same damage), but nowhere in the description does it say that it can't be used while mounted. Although the text does go on for quite a bit about how it's so large it needs to be braced on something solid, so you might want to check with your DM on that. (Note: you might also want to ask if the bone bow auto-adjusts to your Str bonus, or if you need to pay extra for the Str bonus, same as a composite greatbow... the text isn't clear on this point.)

What exactly are you trying to do with the mount?

questionmark693
2014-08-11, 10:45 PM
Well....I was going to skirmish on it. I somehow missed the fact that I can't. That's kind of disappointing

paperarmor
2014-08-11, 11:23 PM
Well....I was going to skirmish on it. I somehow missed the fact that I can't. That's kind of disappointing

You could try and talk your DM into ignoring that particular part of the errata for complete adventerer as all it does is hurt the scout.

questionmark693
2014-08-11, 11:29 PM
We ended up making it work. Ended up doing shot on the run plus greater manyshot. Thanks for helping me out though :)