PDA

View Full Version : invisibility spell and attacking

bjoern
2014-08-11, 09:49 PM
Level 2 invisibility spell says that if the subject of the spell attacks it becomes visible. But he is allowed to summon monsters and have them attack and remain invisible.

A mage is the subject of an invisibility spell. He along with all his gear are now invisible. He is carrying an intelligent item/construct and the item starts tossing out offensive spells on its own while the mage does nothing. The item isn't the "subject" of the spell but is still given concealment. The spell only says that the "subject" can't attack.

What happens?
1.nothing, invisibility remains in effect
2. Spell is canceled completely
3. Item/construct becomes visible but "subject" remains hidden.

Septimus
2014-08-11, 10:22 PM
From the SRD, "Intelligent items can actually be considered creatures because they have Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. Treat them as constructs." So it is not affected by the invisibility spell the wizard casted in himself at the first place. So the item is visible, but the wizard can hide it under his cloth or whatever to provides it total concealment. But in this case, the item doesn't have line of sight in order to cast 99% of offensive spells. Anyway, the spell is not broken by the item actions, because they don't share the spell.

GGambrel
2014-08-11, 10:24 PM
I expect that the intelligent item would remain visible if the mage were the subject of the invisibility spell as the item is actually a creature itself. I suppose some DMs might allow the item to be made invisible as well since it is "gear." In this case, I think option 2 is appropriate since the item is being considered "gear" rather than a creature, so presumably the mage can be considered to be "using" it. I don't think the intelligent item should be counted as "gear" when the spell is cast, but a creature when determining the spell's duration.

Of course the DM of the campaign in question would be the final arbiter on this issue. However were I DMing I would go with one of the two options mentioned above:

0. The intelligent item is a construct (a creature) and must have a separate invisibility spell cast upon it to turn invisible at all.

2. The intelligent item is considered the gear of the possessor and becomes invisible when its possessor does. Any offensive action by the item breaks an invisibility effect for both itself and its possessor.