PDA

View Full Version : Accidental TO

paperarmor
2014-08-11, 10:36 PM
Has anyone else ever had a campagin dip into TO territory on accident?

ryu
2014-08-11, 10:43 PM
Does it count if each individual action involved was fully intentional on the part of the person doing it, but they didn't understand the full meaning of the power they'd obtained until afterward? Many years before I had the optimization chops I do today I kinda sorta experimented with teleport through time and wound up completely annihilating an entire layer of the abyss.

paperarmor
2014-08-11, 11:21 PM
Yup, that's actually exactly what I mean. Or if, as in my case, the DM allows thought bottles and Fusion + Astral Seed shenanigans and lets you find an ooze that splits when slashing damage is dealt to it, and oh so many more bad things, it ended poorly.

ryu
2014-08-11, 11:25 PM
Yup, that's actually exactly what I mean. Or if, as in my case, the DM allows thought bottles and Fusion + Astral Seed shenanigans and lets you find an ooze that splits when slashing damage is dealt to it, and oh so many more bad things, it ended poorly.

Incidentally I regret nothing. The succubus layer had it coming anyway, and the knowledge gained would later come in handy during the greatest plot hook of all time in a different campaign.

Necroticplague
2014-08-12, 07:18 AM
In one game I was in, I basically accidentally discovered d2 crusaderdom. Was playing an rkv who would sometimes dabble in healing allies, had the luck domain in case of save or dies. Was disarmed, so I quickened heal on myself, drew and threw a shuriken. After turning the enemy into a fountain of blood, we then proceeded to quietly forget it ever happened.

Segev
2014-08-12, 08:22 AM
Was disarmed, so I quickened heal on myself, drew and threw a shuriken. After turning the enemy into a fountain of blood, we then proceeded to quietly forget it ever happened.

I always envision this, in my head, as the target de-rezzing in red pixels, as the infinite damage obliterates even the blood.

Talar
2014-08-12, 08:56 AM
We had a campaign where each adventure was ran by a different DM so things were not consistent. One DM gave us 52 million gold (we did not play after that, thank pelor) But things just kept piling on in small ways, so my druid is the most powerful character of the party (others in the group probably would argue this, but my character does not break any rules, I know one person is guilty of this. Most likely from a bad interpretation or ignorance)

But yeah we became unkillable and killed a couple deities. And took one a room filled with just about every demon prince/lord in the Fiendish Codex and won with little difficulty.

icefractal
2014-08-12, 12:43 PM
It's happened a few times. Hasn't actually shattered any campaigns, but there's been several occasions where I realized I had NI power on my hands and had to just pretend it didn't exist.

"Simulacrum's a pretty cool spell. Maybe I could make a guardian for that fort or something."
"Wow, it costs so much money and time. Is there an easier way?"
*finds way of doing it for free and quickly*
"Huh - now I could have an unlimited number of minions, actually, and they could each be as powerful as myself."
*sweeps quietly under the rug*

Similar things happened with Astral Projection (unlimited everything), supernatural Wish (likewise), and demiplane shenanigans.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-12, 12:58 PM
Because I'm still new here and have no idea what's going on: What does TO mean?

Segev
2014-08-12, 01:03 PM
Because I'm still new here and have no idea what's going on: What does TO mean?

Either "Theoretical" or "Total" for the T, and "Optimization" for the O.

In either case, it refers to optimization at the extreme edge of the rules as written (RAW) being taken literally and programatically with no application of common sense nor any dedication to it being conducive to a good gaming experience.

In short: TO is never really meant to be used at a table, any more than the extreme fashion designs shown at top-end fashion shows are ever meant for real wear.

Both are meant more to showcase what can be done and serve as a source of ideas for more practical builds/designs. (Often called "practical optimization" or "PO.")

Lightlawbliss
2014-08-12, 01:14 PM
as a dm, I accidentally made a pali/solar that was immune to all damage (including ability damage and drain) and couldn't be crowd controlled or tricked.

Talya
2014-08-12, 01:20 PM
Incidentally I regret nothing. The succubus layer had it coming anyway, and the knowledge gained would later come in handy during the greatest plot hook of all time in a different campaign.

You got rid of the BEST layer of the abyss. Sure, they're still evil murdering demons, but at least they're sexy. I'd rather get rid of the Babaus, Dretches, Glabrezus and Balors.

ryu
2014-08-12, 01:24 PM
You got rid of the BEST layer of the abyss. Sure, they're still evil murdering demons, but at least they're sexy. I'd rather get rid of the Babaus, Dretches, Glabrezus and Balors.

The first time was an accident when I didn't know what I was doing. The second time was WAR!

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-12, 01:29 PM
Either "Theoretical" or "Total" for the T, and "Optimization" for the O.

In either case, it refers to optimization at the extreme edge of the rules as written (RAW) being taken literally and programatically with no application of common sense nor any dedication to it being conducive to a good gaming experience.

In short: TO is never really meant to be used at a table, any more than the extreme fashion designs shown at top-end fashion shows are ever meant for real wear.

Both are meant more to showcase what can be done and serve as a source of ideas for more practical builds/designs. (Often called "practical optimization" or "PO.")

Ah, thank you. The acronyms are what get me, every time (my first post on the Wizards of the Coast forum was to ask what "WotC" stood for :smalltongue: )