PDA

View Full Version : favorite First-Person shooter

Healos
2007-03-05, 05:20 PM
What's your favorite fps? Mines Halo, Battlefield 2 and 2142

Erloas
2007-03-05, 05:22 PM
I prefer the Rainbow Six games, though I haven't got to play them too much lately. I played RS3 a decent amount single player but didn't get a chance to play it too much multiplayer, played Rogue Spear a lot multiplayer though.

TheThan
2007-03-05, 05:31 PM
For the ultimate in deathmatch goodness nothing beats Quake, not Quake II or Quake III but the original Quake (complete with appropriate mods like Rocket Arena and Team Fortress). Number two on my list I’d say goes to Unreal Tournament (the original again) I don’t have a third. Now if we’re talking about massive online action I’d say either battlefield or tribes not sure which one I like better. For single player it’s StarWars: Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight, with Halflife and Unreal coming in second and third.

The Orange Zergling
2007-03-05, 05:35 PM
For gameplay, Renegade. For story/characters, Dirge of Cerberus. *prepares to be stoned to death*

Amotis
2007-03-05, 05:57 PM
Counter Strike, The old Rainbow Six, Team Fortress Classic, Battlefield 1942, System Shock 2, and I'm missing a lot...

TheThan
2007-03-05, 06:13 PM
System shock 2 is a great game but I group it in horror as that’s what its about plus X-play rated it one of the scariest games they’ve ever played. I think it was 3rd on the list.

Timberwolf
2007-03-05, 07:20 PM
It's still a great FPS though. As is Deus Ex (the original)

Murongo
2007-03-05, 08:47 PM
CS:S. I'm boring.
boom headshot

jjpickar
2007-03-05, 10:19 PM
CS:S. I'm boring.
boom headshot

CS:S is NEVER boring. But I actually like DoD source best for multiplayer. As for single player, the original Half-Life. And not the source remake either.

TheOOB
2007-03-06, 01:30 AM
Deus Ex all the way!

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-03-06, 01:37 AM
Goldeneye, 'nuff said. (although Perfect Dark is probably a close second with Halo 3rd)

Archonic Energy
2007-03-06, 07:30 AM
Daikatana....

what?...

ok seriously. HL2 and DE are my favorites

Baalzebub
2007-03-06, 07:52 AM
For single playing Doom III

For multiplayer Halo 2

Logos7
2007-03-06, 07:54 AM
I'm actually getting a lot of fun out of F>E>A>R
Great Game I'd recommend

and the standbys of course who can forget them

DUKE NUKEM!

LCR
2007-03-06, 01:00 PM
Deus Ex, F.E.A.R. and HL2.

Did I mention how much Deus Ex 2 sucked?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-03-06, 01:25 PM
Fav FPS? It's an oldie... Wolfenstein. The one that started it all. Before Quake, before DOOM, there was Wolfenstein.

Of course, these days it's UT and UT2k4. I wish they had made a UT2k4 map similar to the original UT map 'Pressure' which had a trap you could use to kill players. Flack Monkey and Headhunter all the way, man...

I never did get into Quake, dunno why. The nail gun sounded like a lot of fun to play with anyways.

Artanis
2007-03-06, 01:31 PM
System Shock 2 here. Although in August, it'll probably change to BioShock :smallbiggrin:

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-06, 02:16 PM
Alien vs Predator: Gold Edition, Half-Life, Jedi Knight 2

Maxymiuk
2007-03-06, 02:25 PM
For story, Deus Ex.
For gameplay, Half-Life.
For multiplayer, Day of Defeat.
For climate, AvP (the marine campaign).

For sheer length... hmm... could I count Morrowind as an FPS? If I made a bow using character? :smalltongue:

And yes, length is important. Way too many FPS games these days can be easily beat in what, 10 hours? I want my money back!

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-06, 02:33 PM
Air Buccaneers. Because the only thing better than a ship full of pirates is a floating ship full of pirates.

Its a shame the devs stopped supporting it, and the online community is essentially nil at this point. :/

Swordguy
2007-03-06, 02:33 PM
System Shock 2 for sure. More complexity to its gameplay than any FPS before or since, and a cracking good story as well.

And I absolutely love Call of Duty (with number-limited weapons, so 1 sniper per team).

After that, Counterstrike (with AWP disabled) rocked. As did BF:1942. One I really enjoyed was Joint Operations:Typhoon Rising. While VERY short-lived, you got better graphics, better sound, much bigger maps, and the capability of having 200 people on a map simultaneously with little or no lag.

I also point out that an FPS really only shines on a PC. Mouse/Keyboard FTW!

Enaloindir
2007-03-06, 03:06 PM
For me, it would most definitely be Ghost Recon (the original)...

Enaloindir

Shikton
2007-03-06, 03:17 PM
I only really liked Call of Duty. Not played the sequels though.

Dragor
2007-03-06, 03:45 PM
For online, its almost a tie between Day of Defeat and Counter-Strike. For consoles though, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark still rule the roost.

--EDIT--

How could I forget Deus Ex...? And the eternal question which determines what people think of you: did YOU go into the UNATCO ladies toilets?..... I did, thinking there would be no consequences. It was darn funny though.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-06, 06:54 PM
Storyline? Deus Ex, no question. And yes, I went into the ladies' toilet. ;D

"Uhhh, J.C.?"

Console? Halo: Combat Evolved, without a doubt.

Multiplayer Fun? Battlefield 2 or Counter-Strike: Source.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-06, 07:21 PM
I adored the single player of Half-Life 2. Felt it slowed down during the Nova Prospect sections, but apart from that I found it to be gaming genius. Nothing new there I feel...

Yep, and to add to the repetition, I really enjoy playing CS:S too, I stay on the European Dust2 and Assault server mostly. But since I've yet to reinstall it, I haven't played for ages. Enjoyed UT2004, but it's gonna be CS for me now, I prefer the more realistic style of multiplayer shooter.

For the consoles, I still enjoy Goldeneye every so often, and I'd love to get my own copy of Perfect Dark after so many years! Yet my favourite FPS series is Timesplitters. With the second one remaining my favourite I think...although I play as Jo-Beth way too much in Future Perfect...

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-07, 04:01 AM
What, no love for Max Payne? Unpopular as it may be to say this, I loved Max Payne 2. I finished it in a matter of hours, but it was still a lot of fun for those couple of days.

I would also have to give a vote for the Jedi Knight series. Jedi Academy was my favourite, but all of the games since they added force powers were fun.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-07, 06:41 AM
What, no love for Max Payne? Unpopular as it may be to say this, I loved Max Payne 2. I finished it in a matter of hours, but it was still a lot of fun for those couple of days.

I would also have to give a vote for the Jedi Knight series. Jedi Academy was my favourite, but all of the games since they added force powers were fun.

wasn't Max Payne 3rd person, not 1st?

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-07, 09:33 AM
On that technicality, isn't the Jedi Knight series more third-person than FPS? I mean, nobody actually uses anything but the light-sabre, do they?

Hmm... Rise of the Triad?

IncredibleGeek
2007-03-07, 02:59 PM
Lessee...

Deus Ex, NOLF (1, 2), Half-Life (1, 2, OpFor, Blueshift, Minerva mods), Far Cry, Doom (1, 2), Hexen, Serious Sam, Ghost Recon (And Desert Siege), Dark Forces, Jedi Knight (1, 2, MotS, Academy), Rainbow Six, Duke 3D, FEAR, Quake (1, 2), Red Orchestra... (Probably more I forgot.)

...And you want me to pick a favorite!? :D

Miles Invictus
2007-03-07, 03:19 PM
#1. Doom/Doom II
#2. Quake
#3. Half-Life
#4. Deus Ex
#5. System Shock 2

Why, yes, I am old school.

Honorable mentions: Dark Forces, Jedi Knight series, Unreal Tournament, Far Cry, Half-Life 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Swordguy
2007-03-07, 03:27 PM
#1. Doom/Doom II
#2. Quake
#3. Half-Life
#4. Deus Ex
#5. System Shock 2

Why, yes, I am old school.

Honorable mentions: Dark Forces, Jedi Knight series, Unreal Tournament, Far Cry, Half-Life 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

You're not old school. There just aren't any good recent FPSs. :smallbiggrin:

Setra
2007-03-07, 03:36 PM
Battlefield 2142, it's very fun, especially once you learn how to knife people well. I'm sorry, your Voss couldn't save you :smallamused:

Though I do love HL2. My friends are always begging me to play CS:S so I tend to dislike it out of spite.

Dhavaer
2007-03-07, 05:48 PM
Unreal Tournament, Soldier of Fortune, Unreal.

I don't really consider Deus Ex an FPS, more of a FPRPG.

blackout
2007-03-07, 09:48 PM
:)

1: Doom 3
2: AvP 2 + Expansion.
3: Halo
4: Timesplitters: Future Perfect((FORCE MANIPULATOR!))
5: Halo 2

:)

Miles Invictus
2007-03-07, 10:11 PM
You're not old school. There just aren't any good recent FPSs. :smallbiggrin:

Ah, but if I wasn't old school, wouldn't I think the new stuff was good?

One I forgot: Terra Nova. Think "Starship Troopers FPS" (from the book, not the movie). Very, very fun game, based on tactical movement rather than twitch skills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Nova:_Strike_Force_Centauri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Nova:_Strike_Force_Centauri)

caolle
2007-03-07, 10:28 PM
we talking online? in wich case 2142 stomps all others into mush
solo...gears of war floated my boat pretty well, but i think The Thing was about the best i remember

theKOT
2007-03-07, 10:31 PM
Halo(the series). In my opinion, the engine of that game is one of the best ever made for any genre.

IncredibleGeek
2007-03-07, 10:58 PM
I haven't liked much that's come out lately. (And GoW isn't an FPS :smallwink: )

What bugs me is how popular the Battelfield games are. It's like CS on a bigger scale. Wow, that's fun. :P

Best Multiplayer FPS? Red Orchestra. :smallcool:

P.s. And don't get me started on Halo... :P

caolle
2007-03-07, 11:18 PM
i said the Thing! :D

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-08, 04:33 AM
Hmmm... Alien vs. Predator...

That is a very good point; there is very little in any FPS to beat the joy of dropping off the ceiling, biting a marine's head off and disappearing into an air-duct...

I once played a three-way with one of each race (in the original AvP, though AvP2 has its merits) and you could tell when I scored a frag by the reaction. The predator scores a frag and we laughed at the head pinned to the wall. The marine scores a frag and we congratulate him. The alien scores a frag and the poor victim screams like a girl and nearly wets himself.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-08, 08:48 AM
I totally forgot about Far Cry, it was right there on the side as I was writing my previous post and it's way up there in my favourite FPS(s)! Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees I guess.

I adore Splitters and all, but the Force Manipulator really was a poor man's Gravity Gun. I would certainly have preferred a newer temporal uplink, with Anaconda and Astrolander again! I didn't really know how much better the GG was until I got HL2 though.

Timberwolf
2007-03-08, 08:57 AM
On that technicality, isn't the Jedi Knight series more third-person than FPS? I mean, nobody actually uses anything but the light-sabre, do they?

Yes, I use the lightsabre a lot but I also use the Jedishredder (Imperial Heavy Repeater) and the E11 blaster rifle a lot as well. On Jedi Academy I also use the Concussion Rifle because it's the only thing that will deal with those really big stormtroopers in a hurry. Actually, the first ever Jedi I fought on Jedi Outcast I killed with a Thermal Detonator to the face. That did me nothing but harm but it blew him off the edge of the Bespin air shaft.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-03-09, 02:35 AM

Hmm... Rise of the Triad?

A large part of the game is 3rd person, but before you become a Jedi, it's first person. Personally, I'd call it 3rd person. I think it would be like calling KoToR games first person.

Crazy Owl
2007-03-09, 02:45 AM
A large part of the game is 3rd person, but before you become a Jedi, it's first person. Personally, I'd call it 3rd person. I think it would be like calling KoToR games first person.

Why? If you can play it in first person you can't really compare it to a game with no First person.

416365416c
2007-03-09, 03:29 AM
My favorite FPS is Unreal Tournament 2004. The reason I like it best is that I actually detest realism in FPS games. The attempts at realism tend to use a lot of graphical processing power for a less interesting result. More importantly, I do not like violence in real life, so the more realistic the violence is, the less I find it enjoyable. I do not find UT2k4 very realistic at all, and find it a very fun game which implements the game part very well.

Iron_Mouse
2007-03-09, 10:35 AM
Oooh, someone said Hexen...both parts (and the expansion for part 2) were so cool, although I suffered some sanity loss from the level design in the first part. Managed to still get through it, somehow :smallsmile:
For single player, I would also say: System Shock 2, Doom 3, Undying, Wheel of Time and Voyager: Elite Force.

Zaggab
2007-03-09, 11:30 AM
I don't play fps's much, so I can name every fps I have ever played more than a few minutes on one hand. And still have a finger left to do something with.

My favourites, though, are Halo and Halo 2

The other two games that I have played enough to say something about is Half-life and Half-life 2.

Damn, I'm boring...

Healos
2007-03-09, 11:48 AM
I totally forgot about Far Cry

Speaking of Far Cry, take a look at Crysis. Holy crap that's got good graphics and the completely destructible world. Personally I can't wait for Halo 2: Vista.

Samiam303
2007-03-09, 12:18 PM
Goldeneye, 'nuff said. (although Perfect Dark is probably a close second with Halo 3rd)
QFT. This man cube knows what he's talking about. :biggrin:

The Evil Thing
2007-03-09, 01:00 PM
So many games to choose from...
System Shock 2, Half Life 1, 2 and relevant expansions (minus Blue Shift), NOLF 1 and 2, FEAR, Deus Ex, C&C Renegade (just kidding), UT, Unreal (not any sequels), Quake series.

Did I mention how much Deus Ex 2 sucked?
Unnecessary, given that it was ported over to PC from a console, it's implicit.

Pronounceable
2007-03-09, 01:15 PM
The reason I got a computer in the first place: Doom 2.

Then there's Hexen and Jedi Outcast. Jedi Academy wasn't that good ("I'm just a padawan. But I can shoot lightning like Palpatine on my third mission on the field!" Yeah, right.)

And no one likes Blood? "No one wants to play with me..." The second was awful though.

Swordguy
2007-03-09, 01:22 PM
The reason I got a computer in the first place: Doom 2.

Then there's Hexen and Jedi Outcast. Jedi Academy wasn't that good ("I'm just a padawan. But I can shoot lightning like Palpatine on my third mission on the field!" Yeah, right.)

And no one likes Blood? "No one wants to play with me..." The second was awful though.

I gotta defend Jedi Academy for the utter spiffyness of its expanded lightsaber combat engine, which I felt was FAR improved over Jedi Outcast. I still play it, not bothering with the game. I just load up a nice open area from a previous savegame, and spawn a bunch of dark jedi and just fight for hours.

Jiktori
2007-03-09, 01:36 PM
Soldier of Fortune Two. To me this is by far the best FPS ever, if not game, as it's the only one that I've managed to continous play for 5 years.

Dragor
2007-03-09, 01:38 PM
Personally I can't wait for Halo 2: Vista.

You can't wait? Well, you're going to be pretty darned annoyed, because the Xbox Live merging with PC thingymegummy is still in flux. Microsoft are saying it'll be able to do that, and Bungie are shaking their heads solemnly. (Or something like that- if I'm wrong, correct me.)

And speaking of Perfect Dark, I really need to start playing it again. There's nothing better than shooting an friend in the back with a FarSight. Classic.

IncredibleGeek
2007-03-09, 05:02 PM

I've tried my darnedest to play Blood, and I just can't get it working, even on an old 98 laptop. (Which I use for Dark Forces and Ultima Underworld.)

Can I also say how much I thought GRAW sucked? It felt like I was playing a console port, not a Ghost Recon game. :P

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-09, 05:58 PM
Speaking of Far Cry, take a look at Crysis. Holy crap that's got good graphics and the completely destructible world.

It is looking totally phenomenal, especially the customisable everythings. More excited about the beautiful Bioshock though, but I doubt either will run on my PC, I'll certainly check out the spec at least.

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-10, 11:03 AM
Ah, but if I wasn't old school, wouldn't I think the new stuff was good?

One I forgot: Terra Nova. Think "Starship Troopers FPS" (from the book, not the movie). Very, very fun game, based on tactical movement rather than twitch skills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Nova:_Strike_Force_Centauri
I found thst game at a car boot sale. Wouldn't run on my PC.

Leon
2007-03-11, 01:22 AM
Hmmm... Alien vs. Predator...

That is a very good point; there is very little in any FPS to beat the joy of dropping off the ceiling, biting a marine's head off and disappearing into an air-duct...

I once played a three-way with one of each race (in the original AvP, though AvP2 has its merits) and you could tell when I scored a frag by the reaction. The predator scores a frag and we laughed at the head pinned to the wall. The marine scores a frag and we congratulate him. The alien scores a frag and the poor victim screams like a girl and nearly wets himself.

AvP All the way - i play nothing but Alien and it is very satisfing to hear the screams through the house

That said - Halo:CE, Battlefield 1942 DC, UT & UT04, Perfect Dark, Golden Eye and Call of Duty are all good fun too

Amotis
2007-03-11, 02:58 AM
You can't wait? Well, you're going to be pretty darned annoyed, because the Xbox Live merging with PC thingymegummy is still in flux. Microsoft are saying it'll be able to do that, and Bungie are shaking their heads solemnly. (Or something like that- if I'm wrong, correct me.)

What? Is that how it could work? That's awesome...

I have perfected my super sniper jump in the air while shooting someone reflexes. Mouse and keyboard ftw.

Captain van der Decken
2007-03-11, 03:58 AM
That'd be good.

Halo (PC), Halo 2, or Gears of War, if it counts.

Lord of the Helms
2007-03-11, 09:30 AM
If you go by a broader definition, then definitely Deus Ex, though FPRPG actually does describe this game better.

If not then it's N.O.L.F. 2 first, followed by F.E.A.R., the original Half-Life, Gunman, Far Cry and Prey for solo. Honorary mention for Duke Nukem 3D for its sheer coolness factor.

As for multiplayer, the original UT without a question (I hated UT 2004 and did not bother with what came after), with an honorable mention for Counter-Strike beta 6.5 or so (the one where the Colt M4A1 still had a scope).

Oh and goddamit I hated Halo for those incredibly repetitive and dull interior levels. Seriously, you pass through a room and come into a room that is EXACTLY THE SAME, except filled with tougher enemies. I actually got completely lost near the end because all rooms looked identical and I could no longer find the way forward. Urgh. Did Halo 2 screw up in a similar fashion?

Captain van der Decken
2007-03-11, 01:51 PM
Oh and goddamit I hated Halo for those incredibly repetitive and dull interior levels. Seriously, you pass through a room and come into a room that is EXACTLY THE SAME, except filled with tougher enemies. I actually got completely lost near the end because all rooms looked identical and I could no longer find the way forward. Urgh. Did Halo 2 screw up in a similar fashion?

:tongue: That never seemed to bother me.

Did you play multiplayer? That's a great part.

Artanis
2007-03-11, 07:17 PM
I actually kinda liked it. It made the ships and buildings I was running around in feel more like ships and buildings than like just corridors in a vaguely ship- or building-themed FPS level.

IncredibleGeek
2007-03-11, 10:44 PM

Goodness, hated that part of Halo... It was fun during the extremely rare outdoor levels, and I like the story and the flood (I've got a soft spot for space operas), but I barely made it after the n-th time through the same damn room with the same damn monsters over and over and over and over...

Seriously, it made Serious Sam look downright diverse. :P

Metroid Prime gets a mention, even though it's more of an adventure game. (Which was great :smallsmile: )

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-12, 05:08 AM
Oh yeah, I second the Metroid Prime mention, (the first one, not Echoes).

I also despised the corridy nature of a lot of Halo. I enjoyed the indoor sections with the Flood, but they were the exception. It was the outdoor levels that I thought were really fun, notably The Silent Cartographer and that level just after you land on Halo. All in all, I enjoyed certain elements of Halo, but I certainly didn't think that it was as good as people made out.

BTW now that my sound is back on my PC I've been playing HL2:Episode One for a few days. Now that's an FPS for me. I know that it's really short, but much better than anything I've come across in Halo.

RMS Oceanic
2007-03-13, 03:28 PM
I don't play FPS that much, but I'm quite fond of Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force.

Why? Because you can blow up Neelix again and again and again! How can you fail? :)

The Evil Thing
2007-03-13, 05:50 PM
Yeah, Elite Force was pretty good. Probably the only darn ST game worth any money. I heard EF 2 was ok but I've never played it.

And Prey is a blast. Kind of gross but still fun.

Lord of the Helms
2007-03-13, 09:48 PM
Yeah, Elite Force was pretty good. Probably the only darn ST game worth any money.

Armada was decent, if somewhat simple, fun. Armada 2 supposedly was better (more tactical dephth and such), but I never got around to trying it.

Joosbawx
2007-03-14, 04:10 PM
...Now if we’re talking about massive online action I’d say either battlefield or tribes...

Dude, you just made my nice list for remembering Tribes! I loved that game.

Currently, I'm playing mostly console fps, so Halo2 and Call of Duty 3. Much more CoD3 than Halo2. I don't have a 360, otherwise the list would probably include Gears of War.

When I'm not in the run'n'gun mood, I like about any of the Rainbow Six 3 games, though the original is still my favorite.

But Tribes...wow...still one of my absolute favorites even though I havent' played it in too long. Wish it was still active. Ah, nostalgia.

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-15, 02:22 PM
Hmm. All us GITP AvP fans should all have a multi-player match. I'd un it myself but my PC sucks at running servers. (Warning, I'm a MAJOR n00b)

Amotis
2007-03-15, 02:31 PM
I'm down for tribes or tribes 2. Heck yea!

Timberwolf
2007-03-15, 02:46 PM
Huh, frickin pop tart with your super sniper jump (Amotis - forgot to quote)

I liked Blood, whoever mentioned that btw.

Amotis
2007-03-15, 03:08 PM
Heh, it's why I continue to play halo. None of that power weapons crap or vehicular stuff. Sniper rifle and jump. Massive fun. For me anyway.

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-15, 03:11 PM
Just went back on AvP for the first tim in ages. Didn't realsie just how out of practice I was. I got PWNED by a couple of aliens on skirmish. I'm embarrased. I kept making newbie mistakes like firing grenades at point blank range, not strafing, and wilding firing rather than taking careful aim at their heads.

Timberwolf
2007-03-15, 03:12 PM
Pop tarts used to be the bane of my life on Mechwarrior 4 (it's 1st person, does it count ?) until I discovered the delights of sneaking up on them while they were concentrating on someone else and blowing off their butts.

*smokes cigar, dons avaiator shades, opens beer with someone elses teeth and blows smoke ring*

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-15, 03:17 PM
I've always liked Halo for Warthog Jousting.

You load up the Gulch, try to snag a Warthog, and go at it. You use Warthogs and grenades only. No guns unless you get in the back of the Warthog.

It can lead to some REALLY zany moments as players back away while throwing grenades, run over the top of a hill and duck (and hope the guy chasing them is going fast enough to clear them), or just running around in a circle trying to get in the back of the Warthog so you can take down other players trying to destroy you.

All it takes is one jerk to ruin the entire game, though.