PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic party ideas

Kafana
2014-08-12, 03:01 AM
Alright, so I have an extensive playlist of various RPG compilations, musics from games from the elder scrolls series, dragon age, witcher, etc. I have a some ambient music, basically rain, jungle, etc.

Now, I wish my PCs to attend a party hosted by an organization somewhat similar to the Wayfinder Foundation from Ebberon. This is pretty much the adventurer's guild who is one of the most powerful organizations in the town. The party will be attended by many powerful people, who have seen a great many things in their life.

What I'm looking for is some ideas and music. Party music. Since this is an organization that prides itself on stipending various expeditions and profits immensly from them they can afford to host such parties. What I really need is as many ideas for "interesting stuff", basically catalysts for my story points, which are in and of themselves interesting. This can be anything from a scorpion sting challenge (e.g. a group of ten or so people, which are tipsy, have musterred the courage to be stung by a special kind of scorpion whose venom can be dangerous, but offers great short "trips"), to something trivial like a dance-off.

As for music, I really want to use some party music (if it can be "explained" without just -magic- it would be even better). I also want something very unheard of, so that the PCs aren't likely to recognize it, something very alternative that will remind them as little of the real world as possible.

So ideas and links? :D

Storm_Of_Snow
2014-08-12, 08:13 AM
If they want to show off their wealth, power, and having sent people to various places around the world, you could probably start with non-european/north american music styles - south american, asian, african.

They might also have brought in exotic entertainments from the explorations - dancers and musicians, snake charmers etc, and would almost certainly have exotic foodstuffs and drinks as a part of the party.

Alternatively, use music styles that your players might know, but have them come from unexpected sources - say, a series of crystals, or an ornately decorated vase.

The members might also wear clothing styles from some of the places they've been to - so you could have a mix of costumes.

Challenges like your suggestion might be located in small rooms off the main party area or in screened off areas, rather than out in the open. The players might be invited, or they might have to find their way to them, proving their skills and curiosity to do so.

Kafana
2014-08-14, 12:39 AM
Surely someone can think of some more ideas? What about music, is there anything really alternative and "underground" that you listen to which could fit this.

braveheart
2014-08-14, 04:05 PM
You could describe an acapela version of dubstep to the party. I would also think that there would be some sort of arena where the adventurers could either challenge each other, or particularly dangerous monsters just for fun (and xp)

Bulhakov
2014-08-15, 01:56 PM
Lightning bolt music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee5evlN8Bbs

As for strange "underground" party music that might fit the theme, try Brainbug (techno with cellos, choirs and eerie sounds):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJCzFoVvANY
The three good songs I know are Nightmare, Benedictus and 8th dwarf and there are a ton of remixes on youtube.

Vereshti
2014-08-15, 08:12 PM
Lightning bolt music?

Maybe throw in a conductor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdrqdW4Miao)?

Kafana
2014-09-01, 02:20 AM
Bump. Could use more ideas for both music and mini events.

Oneris
2014-09-01, 03:14 AM
Maybe an open bar stocked with magical and exotic alcohols and drugs that gradually affect the behavior of the party attendees. As for events, a party of this size could attract vendors of strange exotic goods and tellers of tales of wonder, maybe even an auction or a prize drawing. Strange and wonderful plants and pets stalk the halls, possibly snapping at visitors, their owners nowhere in sight. Servants offering tidbits of exotic appetizers to guests. Dens of drinking and gambling lead eventually to midnight duels out on the patio.
Combine with this piece (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Umh-intCQ) for a rather decadent feel.

Bulhakov
2014-09-01, 07:15 AM
How about common party games "spiced up" with magic?

- musical chairs... that teleport to random spots in the room (some high under the ceiling or on the walls)
- pin the tail on the donkey... golem (and don't get kicked)
- hot potato... that polymorphs the loser to a sheep for 10 minutes

Some form of a body swap game? All game participants put on tiaras that mix up their minds and bodies. You can swap bodies with someone by headbutting a willing participant. There can be various goals - hunting down a specific mind, finding your own body first (and convincing the host to swap with you), or do it blindfolded?