PDA

View Full Version : I was thinking of running a Science Fantasy 5e D&D campaign...

Zeuel
2014-08-12, 03:06 AM
...and I would definitely appreciate some help from people. As far as setting goes, I'm not entirely sure if I want to start from scratch or if maybe I wanted to take the Forgotten Realms, fast forward them a couple thousand years, and drop them into space. Like maybe there could be organizations like the Space Harpers or the Space Lord's Alliance or the Red Wizards of Space. Well not named literally that, but it could possibly be a lot of the same organizations and in some rare cases same NPCs in a more futuristic setting. My other idea was to just have a tabula rasa campaign world and pretty much give PCs carte blanche in writing their background and then take the ideas from the background to write the world.

When it came to equipment I was planning on using roughly the same mechanics but reskinning everything. Full plate would still give you +8 AC and no dex bonus but it might look more like Space Marine armor while half plate might basically just be a flak jacket made out of more futuristic materials. For weapons maybe a long sword is a 40k-esque chain sword or if the player wants it's more like a light saber(although that would be a pretty awesome Eldritch Knight/Blade pact Warlock specific weapon :P ) they could do that as well. I'm not quite sure if I want to add new equipment like maybe a grenade option that is basically cantrip level in power and uses your whole action(so no throwing 4 grenades as a high level Fighter) but requires martial weapon proficiency and Dex+proficiency to set the save DC. I was maybe considering putting some of the power in the player's hands and giving a starting XP incentive for those doing an incredible job of reskinning things(whether it was equipment, classes, races, backgrounds, etc) in a very believable way.

What are some other ideas I could try and incorporate to give a more Science Fantasy feel?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceFantasy?from=Main.ScienceFictionVersusFanta sy

HorridElemental
2014-08-12, 07:42 AM
...and I would definitely appreciate some help from people. As far as setting goes, I'm not entirely sure if I want to start from scratch or if maybe I wanted to take the Forgotten Realms, fast forward them a couple thousand years, and drop them into space. Like maybe there could be organizations like the Space Harpers or the Space Lord's Alliance or the Red Wizards of Space. Well not named literally that, but it could possibly be a lot of the same organizations and in some rare cases same NPCs in a more futuristic setting. My other idea was to just have a tabula rasa campaign world and pretty much give PCs carte blanche in writing their background and then take the ideas from the background to write the world.

When it came to equipment I was planning on using roughly the same mechanics but reskinning everything. Full plate would still give you +8 AC and no dex bonus but it might look more like Space Marine armor while half plate might basically just be a flak jacket made out of more futuristic materials. For weapons maybe a long sword is a 40k-esque chain sword or if the player wants it's more like a light saber(although that would be a pretty awesome Eldritch Knight/Blade pact Warlock specific weapon :P ) they could do that as well. I'm not quite sure if I want to add new equipment like maybe a grenade option that is basically cantrip level in power and uses your whole action(so no throwing 4 grenades as a high level Fighter) but requires martial weapon proficiency and Dex+proficiency to set the save DC. I was maybe considering putting some of the power in the player's hands and giving a starting XP incentive for those doing an incredible job of reskinning things(whether it was equipment, classes, races, backgrounds, etc) in a very believable way.

What are some other ideas I could try and incorporate to give a more Science Fantasy feel?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceFantasy?from=Main.ScienceFictionVersusFanta sy

Eclipse Phase would be a good place to start with science fiction TTRPG.

Zeuel
2014-08-12, 08:39 AM
Eclipse Phase would be a good place to start with science fiction TTRPG.

Are you suggesting that I look at them for ideas or to play their system?

Gamgee
2014-08-12, 09:52 AM
Definitely look into running Numenera. It seems exactly what your looking for as a world and system.

HorridElemental
2014-08-12, 09:59 AM
Are you suggesting that I look at them for ideas or to play their system?

Both really. Playing that system could help you developed what you want to do.

But definitely read up on it, fun stuff.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-12, 10:02 AM
I'm running a science fantasy game right now on myth-weavers. I designed a bunch of equipment to mitigate the lack of divine and arcane magic, but I'm rolling it out slowly. You can see the equipment thread here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28358&tg=40139). There's also some monsters and races. But the most sci-fi stuff has not be revealed yet.

My 3.5e firearm rules can be found here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=255267). These need some adaptation for 5e, for instance, you might want to think about combining some of those feats into single feats like crossbow master.