PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else see "kill it, cook it, eat it"?

Archonic Energy
2007-03-05, 06:37 PM
they showed the process of slaughtering a cattle, preparing the
Carcass, and cooking it...

it was so informative it grossed my sister out... lots!
but when i said "where do you think Mc Donalds got the meat for your Big MaC" she understood why i wanted to see it.

tomorrow they do Lamb... (i'm not looking forward to that)

Discuss.

FdL
2007-03-06, 01:09 PM
it was so informative it grossed my sister out... lots!
but when i said "where do you think Mc Donalds got the meat for your Big MaC" she understood why i wanted to see it.

Erm, do I tell him or does anyone want to break the news to him? :p

Flying Elephant
2007-03-06, 01:12 PM
:smalltongue: It's not from cows, thats for sure!

Thiel
2007-03-06, 06:28 PM
Well technically it is. You take all the things that the normal meat industry don't use (the skin, bones and so on) and then you ad a lot of stuf that ins't allowed in animal fodder and the you put it through a large meat grinder and voila: Beef the McDonald Way.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-06, 07:15 PM
Meh, this programme just seemed like the BBC were trying to gross their way into creating more vegetarians. But there is a real problem that kids and teenagers today are displaying a worrying ignorance of where their food actually comes from. But maybe something like this wasn't the right way to tackle it?

FdL
2007-03-06, 07:59 PM
Why would the BBC or anyone for that matter want to create vegetarians?????????????
I will agree that young people's alimentary habits are quite bad, but IMHO (and probably few will agree) vegetarianism is an extreme. Possible one that's just healthy, but an extreme nonetheless. And I know what I'm talking about because my ex-girlfriend was vegetarian.

Anyway, I think the most nutritional element of a McDonalds burguer is the packaging and receipt. I used to enjoy eating that crap, but lately I find it bland at best.

Silkenfist
2007-03-06, 08:09 PM
I've seen similar documentaries, recommended by my dear vegetarian/vegan friends. They thought, graphic images could bring me on their side. They were wrong

J_Muller
2007-03-06, 10:50 PM
I don't eat at McDonalds anyway, so even if I lived in England and saw it, it wouldn't really matter. I'm a devoted carnivore regardless of how they get the meat, though, as long as it's good.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-03-07, 07:45 PM
Wasn't it Ted Nugent who put out a cookbook called something like Kill It and Grill It?

Edit: Amazon, take me away! (http://www.amazon.com/Kill-Grill-Shemane-Nugents-Preparing/dp/0895260360/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-6643666-3912166?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173315361&sr=8-1)

caolle
2007-03-07, 09:47 PM
hmmm , saw a bit of this program (i think) in the boozer earlier , and well... a bunch of veggies and a bunch of ...normal eaters get to watch summit slaughtered right? how the hell is this not supposed to encourage vegetarians?
guarenteed it wont turn the veggies , wereas it may turn a Carniverous young chap or lass , personally im a farmer and thus immune :D

just as an example I know several people who wont eat my meat , cos its tainte...errr cos they saw it when it was young ect, seems weird to me but hey what ya gonna do? theyre perfectly happy to eat tesco lamb though ....wich potentially might be mine it just costs a lot more and they dont know :p

so how exactly is showing something being electrocuted in the head or having its throat slit or whatever method they use thses days gonna do anything but discourage eating meat?

Tofu sponsers?

Setra
2007-03-07, 10:10 PM
Meh, people can't handle eatin a poor little now-dead animal? Give it here!

I'll kill your cow, and eat it myself!

That reminds me, who knows what Gelatin is made from? I do, but I wanna see if anyone else does.

caolle
2007-03-07, 10:43 PM
yup :D
must type yup again for some reason?

Beleriphon
2007-03-08, 12:22 PM
That reminds me, who knows what Gelatin is made from? I do, but I wanna see if anyone else does.

Real gelatin is made from bone marrow.

Jibar
2007-03-08, 12:26 PM
I'm a vegetarian.
My friend described an episode with pigs to me.
If I did not have this burning love of milk, I would go vegan right here, right now.
My God...that...that just didn't sound...
I would have been sick if I had seen that episode.
I'm not going to watch this in case I am.

bosssmiley
2007-03-08, 03:35 PM
Watched it, will watch it again. Would love to see it made part of food sciences classes in schools.

I have to agree with Gordon Ramsey, Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall and all the other foody types here in the UK over this kind of thing: you can't truly appreciate or make judgements on your food until you know and understand what has gone into making it.

Reinforcing the connection in people's minds between the food on their plates and the animals it comes from can only ultimately be good for conditions in the stock-rearing industries. Who wants to eat the meat of a scabby, hormone-doped, cage-raised animal? Far better (for both the beast and ourselves) to treat food animals well, slaughter them humanely, and then make something delicious out of them.

Pyre
2007-03-08, 06:52 PM
I find torture brings out the flavor.

And I thought gelatin was made from ground up hoof.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-08, 07:51 PM
I have to agree with Gordon Ramsey, Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall and all the other foody types here in the UK over this kind of thing: you can't truly appreciate or make judgements on your food until you know and understand what has gone into making it.

QFT.

last night tonight the "best" bits...

i find it amazing how many people are grossed out by this, and then go on to eat at Mc D.

i'd love to say "it has really opened my eyes" but since i watched "the F word" i've already seen animals slaughtered so it wasn't too shocking...

i could do with a steak right about now...

FdL
2007-03-08, 08:21 PM
I know the animals I eat are killed. Seeing it doesn't change anything. As it doesn't change anything to see vegetables being cut, eggs being lain (layed? sorry), milking, etc.

I doesn't have anything to do. It's only natural to be disgusted by seeing an animal being killed. IMHO it has nothing to do with what you do afterwards with it.

Are people actually so dumb to have to actually see things like this to understand where meat comes from?? Unless this is just vegetarian propaganda, in which case is pretty risible.
It actually seems like a weird thing to put in TV.

Rumda
2007-03-09, 07:34 AM
Well technically it is. You take all the things that the normal meat industry don't use (the skin, bones and so on) and then you ad a lot of stuf that ins't allowed in animal fodder and the you put it through a large meat grinder and voila: Beef the McDonald Way.
I know people who work for mcdonalds and the meat in the burgers IS the same meat that the rest of the meat industry uses, so all the 'scare stories' are just that stories

Holocron Coder
2007-03-09, 08:36 AM
I haven't seen this show, but I doubt it'd bother me any. I know it wouldn't pull me away from eating the meat I like. I'm one of those people that will try almost any meat once, including former "pet"-types, such as dog, cat, etc... (though I draw the line at bull testicles, etc -gag-).

FdL
2007-03-10, 12:51 PM
Mmmmm...criadillas :p