PDA

View Full Version : Shaester's Falcons IC

Pages : [1] 2 3

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 11:59 AM
Shaester's Falcons

You are in the wood-paneled office of Shaester, the leader and founder of the mercenary troupe that bears her name. It is a large organization, and you have only met her once before -- the day you were allowed to join. Similarly, you have only been in this well-appointed office once before, and the show of wealth and power on display here reminds you why you chose this group among the dozen or so reputable corps in Ironwall.

Lining one wall is a mahogany bookcase. The exotic wood is both rare and beautiful, and ridiculously expensive. Certainly, the tomes lining its shelves are of high quality as well, but you have not found the opportunity to peruse those leatherbound spines. A large window dominates another wall, providing an overview of the largest and best-equipped training hall in the complex. Opposite the window is a liquor cabinet, and some serving utensils.

The old dwarven woman behind the large reddish brown desk, Shaester, sits a moment and appraises you as you file in. She has five wooden chairs arranged in a half circle around the front of her desk, and you choose one and sit down. She has thick gray hair kept in a short military style, and a long, well-groomed mustache and beard. Though she doesn't fight anymore (that you know of) her broad shoulders and strong hands speak to a strength that hasn't waned in her twilight years. With a strong voice clearly used to giving orders, she begins your briefing.

"This is your big break. As you know, we start our recruits with simple guard duties, but you five have shown exemplary promise. As such, I've decided to form you into a unit, and dispatch you for field work. Your mission should be simple: the village of Onionseed is a small farming settlement that has a bandit problem. They have a militia you can coordinate with, and are adamant that the ringleader of the bandits, Luther "the Red" be killed; they want his head. Onionseed is a solid day's march west from Ironwall, so you will set out first thing tomorrow. Our information about Luther is that he is a skilled warrior, so try to engage him alone if possible. Completion of the mission nets your unit 320 gold. Remember our motto: 'Falcons get the job done!' Here is your field dispatch kit." With this, Shaester dismisses you. Your nascent unit is given a small satchel with two healing potions and a fist-sized gray stone you know to be one of a pair of Sending Stones. With this magical item, you may communicate once a day with the base of the Falcons, and report any extraordinary circumstances that arise on missions, and request backup if you are in dire straits. Naturally, you are encouraged to perform your tasks without backup if possible.

From here, you have about three hours of daylight to do with as you please.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-12, 12:20 PM
Aiden nodded, though his lip curled in distaste at the mention of the people wanting the leader dead. It wasn't that he expected such a mission could have been accomplished without violence - although one could always hope - but still, he much preferred for it to be the last resort, not the stated goal. Nonetheless, for the bandit to have so earned the ire of the town, he must have caused great harm.

Illven
2014-08-12, 12:26 PM
As Mellia walks in the mahogany bookcase catches her eye above all else, trying to reach out and stroke it before being herded into her sheet, clearly happy if she gets the chance.

Do you know how many bandits Luther has working for him? She asks, leaning forward slightly.

Jötunn
2014-08-12, 12:32 PM
Once the group is out of Shaester's study, Shem turns to inspect the rest of the group. He eyes the humans of the group for a while, before sparing a glance for the dwarf and elf.

"Well. Seems like we'll be working together, for now at least. So, I guess we should introduce ourselves. I'm Shem, and I can handle our stealth needs as well as a few other little tricks which you - and I - have probably never seen before."

He chuckles half-heartedly at this last little joke.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 12:43 PM
Do you know how many bandits Luther has working for him? Mellia asks, leaning forward slightly.

"The militia report is vague and unprofessional. It states 'Luther has returned with a horde of brutal and ruthless goblins.' We have never known the man to work with more than a small group of untrained bandits, so take this 'horde' with a grain of salt. If a sizable force really is operating in the area, use the Stone to report back to us and wait for backup." Shaester answers before you leave her office.

Illven
2014-08-12, 01:02 PM
As they leave, Mellia bends over grabbing and shaking the halfling's hand.

Hello, Shem, my name's Mellia and it's a pleasure to meet you. She says with a broad smile.

As for me I'm a people person, and my time with the fey has taught me a few tricks. She says concentrating as she changes her shape from her normal blonde, blue eyed form, to a curvy redhead.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-12, 01:04 PM
"I am Aiden," he said with a warm smile. "Scout and healer."

Batpope Scott
2014-08-12, 02:21 PM
Boli claps a hand to his breast with a resounding clank of gauntlet on scale with a slight bow, introducing himself gruffly to his team. "M'names Boli Ironskin, dwarven smith of the grey mountains. As such, ah'm a warrior and a scholar. Pleased to be meetin' ye."

bekeleven
2014-08-12, 04:26 PM
"I'm Bliss. I keep people alive. Not that I... I mean, I think we should try to do this without killing mister The Red." She pauses. "Not that... I mean if we have to, we can... I'm a good hunter. Game. I hunt game." She smiles. "I can keep us alive in the forest, at least."

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-12, 04:44 PM
Aiden gave Bliss a sympathetic look. "I tend to agree, although I rather doubt we will have much chance to alter the mission parameters." His voice was calm, but the note of distaste was clear.

Jötunn
2014-08-12, 05:51 PM
Shem looks a bit angry and confused, like you've touched upon a sore spot.

"Don't you think that he should get what's coming to him? I mean from all reports he's scum. I don't want innocent people to get hurt just because one of us was too soft to kill a murderer."

He sighs.

"Look, sure, we'll look into this and try to find out the story or something. But Shaester knows what she's doing, she wouldn't have accepted the request if she hasn't agreed or at least thought we were capable of making that decision. If by chance we meet him on the way there, don't expect me to show mercy."

bekeleven
2014-08-12, 06:31 PM
Bliss purses her lips and turns away.

Anyone that makes this check may hear her mutter something about, "just doing what he thinks is right..."

Batpope Scott
2014-08-12, 06:33 PM
Boli crosses his arms and sighs before firmly stating"Ah'm afraid I agree wit' Shem on this one, lass. Luther's a bandit, not a thief. He's either killed or will kill and it ain't our place ta decide that his life has more meanin' than the well-being of good folk. I'll put him down myself, if you don't want to, but he's workin' wit' goblins an' those monsters are more than enough proof that he can't be allowed to go on."

He looks upwards for a moment before adding "I won't say ya have to like it, but it's the right thing to do. Think of all the people that will be hurt if we don't."

I'm going to assume Boli didn't hear anything, since his Listen is +0, but he probably would've responded the same anyway.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 06:37 PM
Whether you pass the rest of your day in eager anticipation or tense trepidation, the next morning comes. At dawn, the members of the unit meet in one of the common rooms of the complex, and move out together to the city gate. The sky is overcast and the air has a bit of a chill to it. Ironwall has well-maintained highways leading out of it, and you find the going smooth and comfortable for an hour. Travelers are common and not unfriendly. When you leave the main trade road and move onto the smaller route leading towards Onionseed, the going is a bit tougher but much more lonely; you don't see a soul for another hour.

The next traveler that you see is remarkable. He is a well-dressed human wearing an embroidered silk vest and well-tailored trousers. Leading a well-bred horse, he looks quite out of place on this country road. The horse is pulling a small wooden cart with a canvas over it, obscuring its contents.

He eyes you somewhat suspiciously and makes a non-commital "Good afternoon." before continuing on his way past you, away from your destination.

Jötunn
2014-08-12, 06:46 PM
[roll0]

Will edit depending on success.

Shem nods at the dwarf in thanks for his agreement, before turning away to begin preparation for the morrow.

-----------------------------------

Matching the traveller stare for stare, Shem steps to the side and passes on the other side of the road.

The rest of the time, Shem travels quietly, padding along the side of the road with a practised traveller's gait. He keeps to himself for the most part, but matches like for like with greeting other travelers, never raising his voice above a conversational level.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-12, 06:46 PM
Aiden walked along mostly in silence unless spoken to directly, and even then he was more likely to answer with a nod, a smile, or a shake of his head than words. He didn't keep distant from the others or anything, and if they were speaking he clearly paid attention, he just didn't actually say overmuch. The human with the horse he greeted in the same way he had pretty much everyone they had passed that day; with a friendly smile and raised hand of greeting.

bekeleven
2014-08-12, 06:51 PM
Bliss smiles and waves, with the hand not on her walking stick. "Good afternoon! Nice seeing you!"

Illven
2014-08-12, 06:54 PM
Mellia smiles at the man's presence

Hello, sir. How are you this fine afternoon? She asked brightly.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 07:07 PM
"Uh, f-fine, just fine. Beautiful day for a stroll, eh?" the man says in response to the bright greetings he receives.

Sense Motive Success
Aiden: you have a hunch that something is wrong with this man; he seems very nervous

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-12, 07:11 PM
"Sir? Is...everything alright?" Aiden asked softly. He started paying particular attention to that covered wagon.

Listen check to attempt to hear movement or talking in the wagon: [roll0].

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 07:20 PM
"F-fine, yes, everything's fine -- best be on my way," the man shiftily darts his eyes around the party, then puts his head down and tries to ignore you and lead his horse along the road. As he does so, your keen ears pick up a distinct metallic jingle from his vest pocket -- not the movement in the cart you were looking for, but it sounds like he is carrying a sizable amount of coinage in his vest.

bekeleven
2014-08-12, 07:27 PM
Bliss stops to avoid running into Quellian's back, and looks slowly over the man and his baggage.

Spot Check: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Sense Motive: [roll2] (minus 6 or so)

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 07:35 PM
With a keen eye, Bliss looks the man, cart, and horse over. His dress, the lack of callouses on his hands, and the fine riding horse he leads all tell you that he is no farmer. There are some bulky shapes beneath the canvas, but you can't quite tell what he has under there. His dark brown hair is slicked back with some sort of styling moose into a helmet-like shell, but bits of it have come loose, giving him a somewhat frazzled appearance beneath your scrutiny. Perhaps he left somewhere in a hurry? The horse does not have proper tack for pulling a cart a long distance, and is wearing a riding saddle.

Illven
2014-08-12, 07:39 PM
Mellia presses two fingers to her temple, and speaks a few words of magical power, before her eyes briefly glow blue and she scans the cart.

Invoking Magic insight, which is functioning as detect magic.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 07:45 PM
Mellia is confident that there is nothing magical on the man or in his cart.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-12, 07:51 PM
Aiden eyed the man a bit skeptically. "Sir, to be perfectly honest, you do not seem fine. Are you sure you do not require assistance?" Aiden wasn't a particularly suspicious person himself, but he was a helpful one by nature. He did not really think the man was a threat or anything, although he did feel that he might be in danger, or possibly fleeing from something up ahead that they would be better off knowing about before-hand.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 08:02 PM
He ducks his head as though caught trying to escape and uses both hands to slick back his already slicked back hair. "I just need to be on my way," he begins, his cadence and volume getting a bit louder and more hysterical as he speaks, "there's nothing back that way but death and destruction and I just need to get as far away from it as possible!"

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-12, 08:08 PM
Fur just a moment, the barest heartbeat, fury flashed across Aiden's face. Deep, burning rage that for that instant transformed the man from a humble healer to a fierce elven warrior.

Then it was gone. "Be calm, man," Aiden said, his voice still soft, but just a bit firmer, a hint more commanding. "Tell us what happened, please. Is this destruction the work of Luther the Red?"

Jötunn
2014-08-12, 08:09 PM
Shem finally cottons on to the fact that his teammates have stopped to question this man. Wandering back a few steps, he catches the last part of the conversation and his face goes grim.

"I think you need to tell us what's down this road and quickly. Were we too late to protect Onionseed?"

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 08:14 PM
"S-so you're the mercenaries?" the man says, with something close to relief showing on his face. Beads of sweat dot his brow. "Yes!" he agrees emphatically and -- happily? -- to your suggestion that Luther is behind this. "I mean, y-yes, yes the village is being overrun by Luther and those things! They aren't goblins -- they're something worse!"

Jötunn
2014-08-12, 08:25 PM
Glancing sideways at Aiden while taking a leaf from his companion's book, Shem suppresses a sigh of irritation.

"Calm down and take a deep breath. Tell us everything you know - while you're with us you're as safe as you would be in Ironwall."

That's probably a bluff check :smalltongue:

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 08:32 PM
"I've -- err -- known of Luther for a long time. He comes by in the fall and takes from our harvest, and he usually has some toughs with him for extra muscle. Two years ago, we formed a militia and drove him off. He came back this year but came back changed! He has these bloodthirsty goblins with him and they chant this grub grik thing and kill people in the streets -- he was never a killer before! S-so, when he came to my room in my sleep and woke me up with a dagger to my throat and he was foaming at the mouth and I swear he wanted to kill me but he said 'you take this and you dump it into the well' I really had no choice and I had to leave and save myself! Right? You b-believe me, right?"

Goblin:
Aiden speaks Goblin and knows that 'grub' means 'blood' and 'grik' means 'skull'

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-12, 08:36 PM
"We do. What, exactly, did he have you dump into the well?" Aiden asked.

He looked to his companions. "'Blood Skull' is what that chanting means. Hmm..."

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0], in case I can figure out from the words if that chanting means anything magical.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 08:42 PM
Roll Knowledge (Religion) instead for the Grub grik thing.

"I-it was... Arsenic." he peeps, clearly hoping you don't know what that means.

Illven
2014-08-12, 08:48 PM
Why would you poison people? Mellia asked starting to tear up from imagining all the people falling over dead.

Why not, lie and say you would then run.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 08:52 PM
"I-I had no choice...?" he squeaks, shrinking in on himself in shame and the fear on his face that you all will kill him right here. He touches his vest and then jerks his hand away, slicking his already slicked back hair instead.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-12, 09:01 PM
Aiden didn't recognize the purpose of the chanting. His features became grim at the mention of the poison. "I have had little experience with treating poisons. It may be wise to use our Sending for the day. If Shaester can send healers, and we can remove the threat of the goblins, it may be that they can still save those who have drunk from the well," Aiden put forth hopefully, though in truth, he simply had no knowledge of how long someone who was exposed to arsenic might have. He kept his words pragmatic; there was little benefit to scolding the man at this stage. "Was the attack still in progress when you left, and how long ago was that?"

bekeleven
2014-08-12, 09:10 PM
"All right." Bliss circles around to the man's other side and slams the butt of her staff - her javelin - into the ground. "You're coming with us and making things right. I don't..." She purses her lips. "You did what you thought you had to do. So now you have to do better. I don't know what that means yet. Probably won't until we arrive."

She gazes down the road towards the town. "I guess we'll find out together."

Jötunn
2014-08-12, 09:12 PM
Shem shakes his head in disgust. He hates those who attack innocents, but he's not sure how to handle a situation like this one.

At Bliss' suggestion, he nods once.

"That's not a bad way of putting it. You're coming with us, whether you like it or not. Remember, you are safe with us... from Luther and his goblins at least."

He turns to Aiden.

"Also not a bad idea. I'll do it."

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 09:35 PM
"I left about two hours ago. I think they w-wanted to wait for the poison to take effect before attacking because I didn't see the bloodthirsty creatures on my way out of town."

"I will give you 80 gold pieces if you let me go and pretend like you never saw me!" he practically shrieks. He looks like he is about to bolt, though you surround him and he would not get anywhere.

Illven
2014-08-12, 09:49 PM
Absolutely not. Mia replied hands on hips, clearly offended at the prospect of being brought.

Look if you come with us, we'll keep you safe. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, and I have a feeling you won't kill again. She says her face soften up.

But... you do need to come with us. She insists firmly.

Trying a diplomacy check here.

[roll0]

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 10:02 PM
"B-but they'll kill me..." he whines, but turns his horse and cart around and follows the group.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-12, 10:11 PM
Aiden gave the man a consoling clap on the shoulder, and started moving again, with renewed urgency.

bekeleven
2014-08-12, 10:16 PM
After walking for a couple of minutes, Bliss will take her tent out of her pack and place it in the man's wagon bed.

Illven
2014-08-12, 10:16 PM
Mellia flashed the man a warm smile stating You'll be fine.. And she follows the group as they move out again.

Jötunn
2014-08-12, 10:55 PM
Shem follows along behind the wagon for a little while, before following Bliss's lead. Then, on second thoughts, he hops up into the wagon himself, digs out the Sending Stone from his pack, and sits down in a meditative position, stone cupped in his hands. He focuses hard on the stone while thinking the words of his message:

This is Shem, reporting from road to Onionseed. We have reports of arsenic in the well water, requesting healer capable of helping with poison.

Assuming this is based of the sending spell and the message has to be 25 words or less, that message is 24 words.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 11:20 PM
When Bliss places her tent in the wagon, she gets a glimpse of the contents. It looks like the man had packed up as much as he could -- she sees two chairs, some folded clothing, and a few leather bags and sacks in the cart.

The response comes at once through the Stone:
"Roger. Immediate clerical assistance en route. Arrival due around nightfall."

The group continues down the road for another two hours or so, the man sweating and growing more and more nervous all the way. Conversation is slilted, but you do find out that his name is Geoffry, and he has lived in Onionseed for about four years. He served as the town doctor, it seems. He never joined the militia.

At long last and at about three o'clock in the afternoon, Shaester's Falcons arrive at Onionseed. The dirt road you've been following ends in the small village square, which is a collection of six wooden buildings arranged in a circle. Farmers tend fields and live in cottages on their farms, so only the town doctor, mayor, tavern, blacksmith, general store, and church are concentrated here in town. Long ago, the clouds burned away and the sun has been steadily shining down on you for the entire afternoon, leaving you comfortably warm.

The town square is a scene from hell.

A circle of red chalk filled with bizarre runes and designs about six feet in diameter is drawn in the center of the pounded dirt clearing between buildings. Three tall goblins with thick, gnarled, reddish hide stand hunched over, holding morningstars and shields at the ready. Their crazed faces glare about and a red foam sizzles on their lips and rolls down their chins. They wear black leather armor with brass buckles and straps, though it looks like their tough hides offer as much protection. A pile of four male human bodies in studded leather armor lies motionless on one side of the circle. In the center of the blood red chalk circle, a short, squat goblin holds a fifth human, squeezing blood out of his open neck so it can fall into the center of the circle. This goblin's skin is yellowish and is not a thick hide, but it is covered in red and black tattoos. A morningstar hangs at its belt. Finally, you spot a lithe and birdlike goblin atop the church. This creature is nearer than the others, and it appears to have buzzing insect wings sprouting from its back, and it wields a shortbow and has a quiver on its hip bristling with arrows.

Geoffrey lets out a terrified squeal when the scene comes into view and he faints straight away. The horse whinnies but stays put.

As it stands, you are about 50 feet out from the town square and the four goblins there, and about 30 feet from the top of the church where the archer goblin is on the roof.

You get a surprise round, and may act now.

Goblins [roll0]
Falcons [roll1]

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-12, 11:31 PM
Aiden had taken a moment to...scout the surroundings, yes, that was definitely what he was doing, when Geoffery had mentioned his profession. He had been trying not to judge the man. He really, really had. But for the town doctor to do what he had...

Even Aiden's patience could only extend so far.

The sight when they reached the town sickened him. Sickened and enraged him. He hadn't felt so angry since he had learned of someone hunting unicorns in his home woods. Well, Shaester's mercenaries had handled that particular evil. Now he would help this new unit thwart another.

There was neither time nor need for parlay. Aiden preferred not to resort to violence, but lives were at immediate risk and the sight of what could only be a blood magic rite - the most corrupt, perverse feat of the arcane he had ever heard of - stripped all the compassion from the elf's thoughts. The rage that shifted his visage to an elven avenger did not only flicker across his face for a moment this time - it stayed, and it fixed on the goblins with intent fury.

He loosed an arrow straight for the squat goblin in the center of the circle in a desperate effort to save his captive's life.

Standard Action: Shoot the guy who's bleeding the human. [roll0], [roll1] damage.

Jötunn
2014-08-12, 11:32 PM
Shem acts immediately, moving forward and drawing a pair of steel daggers. Having spotted the goblin above, he attempts to keep obstructions between himself and the goblin's line of sight.

Shem's eyes fill with a cloud of darkness, like a furious shadow struggling to escape. His eyes are completely black.
A crackle of black lightning courses over their bodies.

They have to make a DC14 Will save or suffer from a -1 to attack rolls and tumble checks for as long as they're within 15ft. They also take 1d4 extra damage whenever I attack them. If they succeed on their save, they are immune for 24 hours.
Shem moves 20 feet forwards, and draws his two daggers. If possible, he tries to avoid being an easy target for the goblin on the church.

Hope it's alright to make other players make spot checks.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-12, 11:37 PM
With incredible elven accuracy, Aiden puts an arrow through the yellowish goblins head. It stands still for a moment, and then collapses in a heap on top of the bleeding human. The three hulking goblins snarl in surprise and yell out "Grub et Khorne Grik et Griknoth!"

Goblin: "Blood for the Blood God Skulls for the Skull Throne!"

Shem deftly moves forward, drawing his weapons.

Illven
2014-08-12, 11:40 PM
Mellia sighs. Her mind in turmoil. Doctor, huh. It was a good thing we didn't let him leave. Maybe he'll be able to treat some of the victims. If we could find any wands or scrolls I could try using them. She steps to cover the man's body, then puts her right hand out, as if she were one handing a crossbow.

May you find peace in the next life. She states, shooting a ray of eldritch energy at the flying goblin on top of the chruch.

Using Eldritch spear invocation to have a range of 250 feet.

I check touch to hit.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

bekeleven
2014-08-13, 01:26 AM
Bliss tosses her spear in the air, where it bends down in an arc and thins. She catches a sling, lengths of elven rope securing direwolf hide, and places a round stone into the cradle.

Heroic Spirit Include: Archer David. Lasts 5 rounds, including this one.

Sadly, it's a move action, and you only get one action in a surprise round. Ah well, she couldn't have gotten any other weapon out faster.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-13, 08:40 AM
Bliss arms herself and Mellia narrowly misses the goblin on the roof.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-13, 12:51 PM
Boli marches forward in a fury as he looses his axe from his hip. He raises his axe in the air to shout "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai menu!"

Dwarven: Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!

NotScaryBats
2014-08-14, 03:31 AM
The goblins beat their morningstars on their shields and surge forward. They move without any sort of militaristic caution or formation, but rather rush headlong into melee with the two Falcons that have taken point. Two engage with Boli, while one attacks Shem. Only one of the flailing morningstar attacks hits, and it hits the dwarf with a heavy thud.

Upon the roof, the winged goblin buzzes its wings and nocks an arrow, firing it at the warlock who attacked it. It lands a glancing blow upon her arm. The creature then lets out a high pitched howl that resonates across the battlefield.

Boli is hit for 3 damage
All 3 goblins charged, they are -2 AC until start of next turn
Mellia is hit by an arrow for 1 damage

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-14, 03:40 AM
In grim silence, Aiden drew another arrow, loosing for the flying goblin.

The noise that shriek produced was worrisome. He listened closely to try and hear the sounds of more approaching foes, and what direction they might be coming from.

Standard Action: Shoot the flyer at [roll0] for [roll1].

Move Action: Attempt a Listen check at [roll2].

EDIT: I'd have been...perfectly happy switching those two rolls :smallsigh:.

Party Status (I tend to keep track of this when I'm playing a healer):
Aiden: 9/9.
Boli: 11/14.
Mellia: 7/8.
Bliss: 12/12.
Shem: 10/10.

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 03:44 AM
Bliss fires a pair of stones at the goblin in the air, then stretches her sling in her hands as it elongates into a sturdy metal staff with a bulb on one end..

Bliss uses the noble phantasm Hamash Avanim, giant-killing stones.
First attack: [roll0]
Second attack: [roll1]
First damage:[roll2] + [roll3]
Second damage:[roll4] + [roll5]

All damage from this attack is nonlethal.

Her first include ended, she then installs Archer Nanoha and holds a masterwork quarterstaff.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-14, 04:25 AM
The winged goblin dodges an arrow and a stone, but the third attack loosed against it in such rapid succession proves too much for it. It clatters to the roof of the church in a mess of bow and arrows and limbs and rolls off the roof onto the ground, unconscious or perhaps dead.

A blood-chilling howl resonates through the air -- sounding uncomfortably close -- in answer to the winged goblin's shriek. Aiden estimates the howler to be no more than a minute away.

Jötunn
2014-08-14, 04:54 AM
Shem grins at the goblin in front of him, slashing with both his daggers. When they hit, there is a tiny crackle of lightning coruscating around the blade. Mid-fight, Shem also gestures at the closest goblin in combat with his companion, the dwarf.

Attack 1:[roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]+[roll2]
Attack 2:[roll3]
Damage 2: [roll4]+[roll5]

Swift action to use my only malefaction on the nearest goblin that isn't affected by my aura, DC14 will save or he gets penalties to diplomacy and casting spells. Not important, but it means when I move on to him he's vulnerable to my Torment the Weak extra damage.

Illven
2014-08-14, 11:09 AM
Mellia cries out as the arrow pierces her. More from pain, then shock.

Steadying her left arm with her right hand, she used her left hand to generate the eldritch ray this time.

Aiming for a goblin attacking Boli
[roll0]
[roll1]
If Threat [roll2]
[roll3]

NotScaryBats
2014-08-14, 01:00 PM
Shem sees his Malediction take hold of one of the goblins engaged with Boli, just as a blast of eldritch blast from Mellia slams into it. The creature looks wounded, but keeps its feet. The halfling then takes advantage of the furious goblin's reckless charge and opens up a gaping wound across its belly. His other attack surely should have slit its throat, but the tough hide there repels his blade.

Before your eyes, the bleeding gash you have created closes partially -- it is clear that these goblins are taking reduced damage from your melee weapons.

Shem hits with his first attack and just barely misses with the second. You should have done 5 damage with that first hit, but it was reduced by some amount. You still damaged it, to be clear.

Mellia hits and deals full damage.

This is not regeneration, but is Damage Reduction. I just wanted that to be clear.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-14, 03:42 PM
Taking one morningstar to the shield and the other to his shoulder, Boli lets out a howl of rage as he slashes at the healthier of the two goblins with his axe.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit Confirm
[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Critical Damage

NotScaryBats
2014-08-14, 04:06 PM
Cleaving through hide, flesh, muscle and bone, Boli cleanly decapitates one of the goblins he is fighting. Its body stumbles and falls sideways, as the head lands a few feet away.

This leaves just two goblins, each wounded. It seems that the goblins' wounds are getting the better of them, for a poorly telegraphed swing allows Shem to easily dodge one attack, while Boli is merely bruised by another weak strike.

A second howl resonates across the battlefield, closer this time.

Just two goblins left, both injured.
Shem is missed
Boli is hit for 1 damage

Illven
2014-08-14, 04:19 PM
Mellia aims at the goblin, that she had just hit again, as she rubbed her shoulder.

Keep on target. She whispered

Eldritch ray
[roll0]
[roll1]
If threat, crit confirm. [roll2]
[roll3]

NotScaryBats
2014-08-14, 04:25 PM
The melee fighting is very chaotic, and Mellia's shot goes wide, missing the combatants.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-14, 04:26 PM
Aiden advanced, moving up to assist the dwarf and halfling with an open-handed strike to the most injured goblin. If he hit, Boli would feel a certain sense of almost vibrating warmth in his chest, and the pain of his injuries would fade.

Move Action: Approach the most injured goblin.

Standard Action: Crusader's Strike at [roll0] for [roll1]. On a hit, Boli receives [roll2] healing.

Party Status:
Boli: 10/14.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-14, 04:34 PM
Boli laughs heartily at the goblin's head flying away, shouting "Never was there a goblin that could best a dwarf!" before hacking wildly at his injured foe.

I somehow forgot my +1 Racial Bonus to Attack Rolls against Goblinoids.

Using Power Attack for 1
[roll0] Attack Roll
[roll1] Critical Confirm
[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Critical Damage

NotScaryBats
2014-08-14, 04:40 PM
Despite his injuries, the goblin is able to evade Aiden's attack. However, its tough hide is nothing to Boli's fine dwarven steel, and which buries itself in the creature's chest, breaking bones and slaying the creature.

There is just one goblin left, engaged in a dance of death with Shem the halfling.

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 05:00 PM
A rune flashes in the air, and Bliss touches it with her staff, sending a bolt of energy arcing towards the last goblin.

Bliss used her cartridge as a swift action, to empower her orb of force.
Shot: [roll0] (ranged touch, assumes -4 penalty)
Damage [roll1] (empowered, so 7)

Potential crit: [roll2]
Potential crit damage: [roll3]

If it's still alive, she'll move closer.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-14, 05:19 PM
The Orb of Force collides with the goblin, sending it flying backwards, where it remains.

Shaester's Falcons look around the scene, seeing the slain goblins splayed about it on the packed earth of the Onionseed town square.

Two rounds have passed. The third round begins, but we will stay in combat initiative order for now, because another encounter is approaching, as Aiden could hear.

What do you do? Search the bodies? Set up a defensive formation? Tend the man bleeding to death in the chalk circle? Something else?

Illven
2014-08-14, 05:29 PM
Mellia turns to Aiden.

Can you heal him? She asks pointing to the injured man, clearing worried.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-14, 05:30 PM
"Whatever that howling is it will be here in under a minute," Aiden warned. He wanted to patch up the others before then, but the dying man was the priority. He moved quickly to him, rubbing his hands together rapidly - one could just make out a sort of glow coming from his palms, not like light shining from his hands, but almost as if some source of light and heat was resting just under the skin. He set his hands on the man's injury, the heat helping seal the wound while a transfer of Chi helped to stabilize him.

Depending on how much time he had, he would then do what he could for his companions, and get into position to meet the next threat.

I'm not sure if we should be posting round by round or kinda all at once, but for purposes of speed I'll post my current intended actions together.

Round 3: Move adjacent to the dying man. Standard: Spend a point of Chi Healing to stabilize him.
Round 4: Move adjacent to Boli. Standard: Spend four points to Chi Healing to get him back to full.
Round 5: Full Round + Swift: Recover Crusader's Strike maneuver.
Round 6: Move adjacent to Mellia. Standard: Spend a point of Chi Healing to get her back to full.
Round 7: Get behind cover relative to the direction the howling is coming from and attempt to Hide at [roll0].

If I don't have that much time, just let me know where I'm interrupted. Or if we should go round by round, I just do the first one for now.

Party Status if everything goes through:
Boli: 14/14.
Mellia: 8/8.

Current Resources if everything goes through:
Chi Healing: 6/12.
Maneuvers Readied: Crusader's Strike, Vanguard Strike.

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 05:34 PM
Bliss hurries over to the man on the ground, healing him if able.

Look like that's covered. Bliss will head over to the goblin she knocked out and make sure it's not bleeding from its fall.

Cure Light Wounds: [roll0]

She wouldn't use a CLW to stabilize a goblin. If he looks like he's bleeding out, she'll use a Cure Minor.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-14, 06:06 PM
The grotesque goblin does indeed have large insectoid wings, like a fly. Bliss sees that the creature broke some of its bones during its 20 foot fall from the church's roof, and is slowly hemorrhaging to death. She stabilizes it with a minor cantrip, but it does not regain consciousness.

The scene at the chalk circle is grisly, with four human men dead by exsanguination, judging by their pale skin and the gashes in their necks. Aiden is able to stabilize the dying man in the center of the circle with his Chi. He notices that there is no blood anywhere in the circle, but doesnt' have time to investigate further. He moves quickly over to Boli and mends his wounds, then takes a moment to regain his composure.

Illven
2014-08-14, 06:34 PM
Mellia scans their equipment quickly, her eyes flashing blue.

Using magic insight. Any magic auras?

Batpope Scott
2014-08-14, 06:34 PM
Boli walks over to the downed goblin as Bliss attempts to save it's life and silently puts his axe into it's throat.

He sternly looks at her and states, firmly, "Ah have nothing against ya or yer beliefs, lass, but ah will nae stand ta have a goblin shown mercy. Too many o' mah kin 'ave died to goblin blades."

He then walks off, thanking Aiden for the healing, and does a bit of stretching to get pumped for the next fight.

Turn 1: Move over to the Goblin
Turn 2: Full-Round coup-de-grace [roll0] Damage; Fort Save DC 47 or death
Turn 3: Moves over to the pile of bodies and stands above them, listening for the creature.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-14, 06:48 PM
Boli executes the goblin, unless Bliss acts to stop him.

Mellia scans the town square for magical items. She detects nothing on the warriors or the archer, but there is most assuredly something in the chalk circle. She spends a few seconds studying it and determines that there is one strong magical aura coming from -- not the circle itself, but something in the circle, beneath the dead goblin and the stabilized human.

Make a DC 21 Spellcraft check to determine the school of magic involved here.

Illven
2014-08-14, 07:17 PM
Spellcraft (No ranks) [roll0]

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 07:21 PM
Bliss walks straight into the nearest house, searching for survivors.

4 rounds later, her include will end, turning her staff back into a javelin.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-14, 07:33 PM
Mellia is unsure what schools of magic she is seeing here, but the fact remains that the aura is strong.

Bliss tries to walk into the nearest building -- the inn, she suspects from its size and the Prancing Pony sign hanging in front of it, but finds the door either locked or barred. It doesn't budge an inch. There is faint sobbing to be heard through the door.

"We have weapons! We'll kill you if you open this door!" what sounds like a young person calls out in common.

Illven
2014-08-14, 07:48 PM
Mellia calls out.

Hey guys, there's a strong magical aura under the bodies. I can't tell what school it is though. She says waving her hands gesturing for them to come over.

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 10:11 PM
On her way over, Bliss passes Boli.

"You had reasons for doing what you did. Next time, use words before actions you can't take back."

If you'd like her to roll an intimidate check for that, I can. She has -1 to the skill, so the result would likely be laughable.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-14, 11:17 PM
The group clusters around the red chalk circle. It is a thick outline of blood red chalk, filled with runes and bizarre shapes. After moving the yellow-skinned goblin priest out of the center, the Falcons see a dark purplish-red stone, the size of an infant's fist. This is undoubtedly the source of the strong magical aura. It is also noteworthy that even though all present saw the goblin actively drawing blood from the stabilized human's neck, the ground is dry and clean, apart from the chalk.

Another howl breaks the silence. Looking up from the circle, a pair of sleek, black wolves turn a corner and stand 50 feet from your position. The two lupines have glowing red eyes and the same bloody foam around the corners of their slavering jaws as the goblins had. Spurs of bone break up the sleek, greasy fur of their legs and backs.

We'll start a new init count. No one gets a surprise round.
Falcons 20
"Wolves" 15

It is your turn. The creatures stand about 10 feet from one another, 50 feet from your position.

Illven
2014-08-14, 11:26 PM
Mellia squeaks at the dogs. Unsure to see them as enemies, or as friends of the fey for the briefest of moments. Then she saw the bones and fired.

Hitting the closest one not in melee
[roll0]
[roll1]
If threat. [roll2]
[roll3]

She then moves back 10 feet.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-14, 11:42 PM
Aiden had seized on the same strategy as Mellia; against bestial foes, they almost certainly had ranged superiority, and should force the enemies to come to them. He retreated a short distance, firing at the same creature as he did so.

Move: Vicinity twenty feet back, so I'm about seventy feet from them. And a bit to the side to keep a clear line of fire.
Standard: Shoot at the one Mellia attacked at [roll0] for [roll1].

Party Status*:

Current Resources*:
Chi Healing: 7/12.

*Based on GM post following mine, I assume only three rounds passed so I wasn't able to top off Mellia. Correct me if I'm wrong.

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 11:49 PM
Bliss sucks a bit of ambient light into the bulb of her staff, then fires it off between the two canines, where it explodes. As she fires, her staff is already changing back into a javelin, its blade wrapper shrugged off by the shifting size.

By my count Bliss has 3 rounds left in her include (or 2 depend on how you count them), but either way, she's discharging them with her phantasm. Both wolves take 1D6+2 damage unless they make a reflex save (DC 14) for half.
Damage: [roll0]

Bliss is now out of includes!

Jötunn
2014-08-15, 12:52 AM
Having been looking around thoughtfully - especially inspecting that strange stone on the ground - as the wolves appear Shem follows Aiden's lead, sheathing his daggers and reaching for the shortbow on his back, all the while backing away.

"Did you really have to kill that goblin-thing," he asks the dwarf as he goes, "we could have at least tried to get some answers out of it."

Don't really want to drop my daggers, so waiting a turn before firing it is.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-15, 12:57 AM
Yes, it has only been 3 rounds -- the wolves have a very high movement speed, and arrived more quickly than you expected them to.

Once again, the Falcons' training and focused fire win the day. The Eldritch Blast, arrow, and magical Orb all hit the same wolf, killing it where it stands. The Orb then ricochets and smacks the second beast, though it maneuvers out of the brunt of the blast.

A bit battered and fiercely growling, one black wolf still stands.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-15, 05:34 PM
Boli readies his shield and prepares for an oncoming attack, but does gruffly answer Shem's question.

"Wit' all o' this healing magic around ah dinnae like the idea of risking it being alive during our fight."

Readying an attack against the wolf's charge

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit Confirm
[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Crit Damage

NotScaryBats
2014-08-16, 12:58 AM
Predictably, the wolf charges forward at full speed. It collides with Boli's shield, harmlessly biting and scratching at him. He was ready for the attack, but misses with his swing.

The wolf charged, and is at -2 to AC until its next turn.
It is now your turns.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-16, 01:05 AM
Aiden immediately reversed, closing with the wolf and striking, a swift, graceful attack that allowed him to find his center.

Move Action: Close.
Standard Action: Crusader's Strike on the wolf at [roll0] for [roll1]. On a hit, I'll heal myself [roll2], spending an Immediate Action to convert the healing to refresh my Chi Healing pool. EDIT: Hrm...I'm not having the best of luck with that attack... :smallsigh:

Party Status:

Current Resources:
Chi Healing: 7/12 (Pending).

bekeleven
2014-08-16, 01:18 AM
Bliss drops her javelin and runs behind the wolf, drawing a dagger along the way, and goes in for a slice.

Regular move (can be combined with drawing a weapon) around to flank the wolf with Boli, or Aiden. It's actually like a 50% chance that she can manage a flank while taking no AoOs in her 30 foot move, after I did a couple configurations out on a grid. So add +2 to the attack yourself if you think it's feasible. I'm assuming she's adjacent or 5 feet from Boli, given that they were clustered around the circle and neither has moved.

Attack (without +2 for flanking):
Roll [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Crit confirm [roll2]
Added damage [roll3]

Batpope Scott
2014-08-16, 02:05 AM
Boli swipes at the wolf, his first attack having left the job undone, and gives a mighty "Yah!" as he attempts to hew the creature's skull.

Regular attack

Add +2 if Bliss is flanking
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

[roll2] Crit Confirm
[roll3] Crit Damage

Illven
2014-08-16, 08:40 AM
Mellia moves to shoot at the creature

[roll0]
[roll1]
If threat. [roll2]
[roll3]

NotScaryBats
2014-08-16, 09:36 AM
The Falcons move to surround the wolf and begin to attack it from all sides. No one is able to connect except for Boli, who cuts deep into the beast's shoulder. Blood oozes from the wound, thick and black, but the creature still stands.

Jötunn
2014-08-16, 11:25 AM
Shem makes a grasping gesture towards the wolf before drawing his bow and firing, aiming hesitantly in order to not hit his allies:

Attack: [roll0] <- Including the -4 for firing into melee
Damage: [roll1]

As a swift action, if the wolf fails a DC14 will save he will suffer a -3 luck penalty to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Gather Information checks, as well as a 20% spell failure chance on spells with a verbal component.

Somewhat more importantly, he will take [roll2] extra damage from Shem's attack if it hits.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-16, 10:50 PM
The wolf succumbs to Shem's Malediction, but evades his arrow. Surrounded and bleeding profusely, the beast strikes out again at Boli, the one who has harmed it so extensively. It's maw fills with an unholy energy as it does this, and it crunches the dwarf's leg in its vicelike jaws. The wolf quickly attempts to pull Boli's feet out from beneath him.

The wolf uses Smite Good on Boli, hitting for 6 damage. It attempts to trip him as a free action, and gets an 8 on its opposed trip check.

It is now your turns.

Illven
2014-08-16, 11:17 PM
Mellia fires another ray at the wolf, squeaking in fear and sympathy as Boli is harmed.

[roll0]
[roll1]
If threat [roll2]
[roll3]

bekeleven
2014-08-16, 11:30 PM
Bliss steps around to flank with Aiden, then stabs once more.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Confirm [roll2]
Extra damage [roll3]
Flanking with Aiden because Boli is currently quantum grappled, meaning he may or may not provide a flank.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-16, 11:56 PM
Regardless of whether or not Boli ends up on the ground, his allies finish the beast before it can do any more damage. It shudders once, then moves no more, collapsing.

A moment of quiet and cessation falls upon the town square. Bodies are everywhere -- human, lupine, and goblin, and nothing makes a sound.

The wolf's bodies, if searched, reveal no treasure and no magical items, but Mellia feels confident in calling the creatures Fiendish wolves. That is, wolves native to the lower planes that were Called to this one.

What do the Falcons do from here?

bekeleven
2014-08-17, 12:02 AM
"The man. Luthor. Did anybody see him? Do we know where he is?"

Having said that, Bliss heads to the nearest building besides the inn.

"I'm looking for more people. Tell me if you find out where he's gone."

Illven
2014-08-17, 12:19 AM
Mellia's going to walk up to the barred door, and knocks gently on it.

Please let us. We're the Falcons, and we're here to help. We have some questions.

Diplomacy [roll0]

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-17, 01:05 AM
Aiden rubs his hands together once more, a transfer of Chi serving to mostly heal Boli's recent injury. If he had any opinion of the dwarf's prior execution, he prudently kept it to himself. That done, he took another few moments to recover his focus, and then turned his attention to the stone in the circle. He had a couple guesses what it might do, but he tried to recall if he had ever heard of anything quite like it.

Chi Healing Boli for 5. Boli, Mellia, I have two points left so I can top you both off if you want, but I think it might be prudent to save a bit in case of emergencies, at least until I can recover some. Assuming I can ever land a Crusader's Strike, of course :smalltongue:. Also recovering that while I'm at it.

Knowledge (Arcana) to see if I know anything about the stone: [roll0]

Party Status:
Boli: 13/14.

Current Resources:
Chi Healing: 2/12.

Jötunn
2014-08-17, 02:54 AM
"Well. Do you think that's all of them? In the town at the moment, at least - we know there's at least one more human out there to hunt down."

Now that things are relatively peaceful, Shem replaces the bow on his back, and with a general air of frustration begins to wipe the blood off his twin daggers. That done, he joins Bliss in the search for other people, heading in the opposite direction round the square and knocking on doors.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-17, 09:32 AM
At the barred door, Mellia's soothing voice reaches whoever is on the other side. It opens a crack. You see a ten or eleven year old human boy, who looks at you suspiciously. His eyes dart around the courtyard, and he says, "wow, did you do this? You've come to save us?" A look of naked admiration is on his face.

At the circle of chalk, Aiden handles the mysterious stone and feels a well of arcane energy within. This reservoir churns and roils within the stone, wanting to be released. An arcane caster could likely draw upon the energies within the stone to replenish her own.

Bliss and Shem begin to search the other buildings in the area. Shem finds the blacksmith's home and shop ransacked, but doesn't find anyone inside. Bliss explores the general store, and finds it in much the same condition.

The doctor's, the mayor's, and the church remain unexplored.

Illven
2014-08-17, 09:49 AM
Mellia nods Yeah, we fought them off for now. And later we'll drive them all off. She says crouching down to eye level with the boy.

But for right now, can you tell me what happened?

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-17, 10:35 PM
"I imagine if anything remained nearby they would have moved on us by now," Aiden speculated in answer to Shem's question, although he shrugged to indicate it was more a guess than anything. The stone he eyed almost...mistrustingly for a moment. He had rather wanted to smash it and be done, but if it held potential value it was not his place to destroy it out of hand. "This stone seems to store magical energy. It might be usable as a power source to a mage," he said, speaking a bit loud so the others could hear as they went about their tasks. He set the stone down outside the circle. It may have been an innocuous ritual component and merely the purpose it had been used for corrupt, but he wasn't sure of that and did not much want to handle the device further.

He went over towards the church, figuring it was a fairly likely place for more people to congregate in times of danger, and knocked twice on the door.

bekeleven
2014-08-17, 10:42 PM
Bliss will search the doctor's for survivors. If they were sick, that's where they'd head, right?

Batpope Scott
2014-08-18, 01:07 AM
Boli followed Aiden over to the church, depositing his axe in a belt loop, and states "This dinnae seem like a goblin horde to ya, does it?"

NotScaryBats
2014-08-18, 01:39 AM
"When the bad people came, we all hid. People started to get sick, and my Papa and the militia went out to make us safe," the boy answers quietly. He opens the door a small ways and you can see a few sick people on bedrolls.

Then, several things happen at once.

Bliss explores the Doctor's, and as she is about ten feet from the door, it is kicked out. A frightening-looking man stands in the doorway, wearing hide armor, and holding a longsword in one hand while pulling an unconscious woman by the hair with the other. He is of average height, but is quite bulky, with short curly red hair. The man drops the woman on the floor with a thud, and wipes a bit of bloody foam from the corner of his mouth. He looks at you with crazed eyes.

At the same time, about 40 feet across the town square, Shem, Boli and Aiden approach the church. This door, too, swings open and a five foot tall black and red spider crawls out. It has a bundle of coppery web on its back with a few human limbs sticking out of it. Next, a four foot tall goblin in chainmail armor exits the church, mounted on another Fiendish Wolf. Hanging from its neck is a skull-shaped holy symbol, and the creature has a regal bearing. It calls out in common to the human, "Kill them all."

Then, in Goblin, it adds, "Don't dally. Bring the remainder to Dryad's Circle when you are done."

The regal goblin turns its wolf and begins to ride off. The spider follows suit. The man grabs the sword with both hands and rushes up to Bliss. His swing is wild and avoidable, but you can tell it has incredible power behind it. "Stay still so I can kill you!" he growls as his sword passes over your head.

There was no surprise round. The enemies just won initiative.
The wolf rides 50 feet away, and the spider moves 30 feet. They are headed out of town, towards the fields and away from the road you came in on.

It is now your turn.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-18, 02:02 AM
"Certainly not a normal-" Aiden began to reply, when the enemies came out.

Dryad's Circle, he thought, keeping that piece of information in mind. The goblin didn't appear to have hostages and was mounted; stopping him now wasn't necessary. Aiden went after the spider instead, once more attempting the single graceful strike that brought his body, mind, and Chi into harmony.

Move: Move 30' to close with the spider (I...assume I can reach it since we basically started at the same place).

Standard: Crusader's Strike at [roll0] for [roll1] and [roll2] healing. If it hits, I'll use an Immediate action to convert the healing to Chi Healing. (If I can't reach it, replace with a longbow attack, adding +1 to hit but doing the same damage with no healing).

Party Status:
Boli: 13/14.

Current Resources:

bekeleven
2014-08-18, 02:05 AM
Bliss steps back and incants a spell. "No, you stay still!"

5-foot step outside of his longsword range (and a bit closer to the group), then cast Sleep. Will Save, DC 13.

...Worth a shot.

Illven
2014-08-18, 10:05 PM
Mellia takes aim at the goblin on top of the wolf.

Don't you dare flee. She calls out taking a shot.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

NotScaryBats
2014-08-18, 11:27 PM
Mellia lands a potent shot on the fleeing goblin, which causes him to growl a curse at her in goblin. He begins to pull his wolf around.

Aiden, true to form, lands a killing blow on the monstrous spider. Its chitin crunches loudly beneath the strike.

Bliss weaves her magic over the frightening man, but he shakes it off.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-18, 11:48 PM
Boli charges the man swinging a sword at his companion, the barreling dwarf roaring for all he's worth as he flies into the human at full speed.

DWARF FULL BODY TACKLE!

Charge action and then a grapple at the end. Because I don't have my axe out. I provoke an attack of opportunity since I don't have the improved grapple feat, but hopefully he misses. -2 to AC, bringing it to 15 and +2 to this attack roll.

[roll0] Touch Attack
[roll1] Grapple Check

NotScaryBats
2014-08-19, 01:14 AM
Boli charges impressively at the crazed man with the sword. The red-headed man turns and stabs the dwarf as he attempts to tackle him to the ground. As the longsword cuts through his stomach, Boli feels cold, filthy energy enter his body.

The attack of opportunity is successful, and inflicts 10 damage, and 1 point of vile damage, ruining the grapple attempt.

Jötunn
2014-08-19, 05:33 AM
Taken by surprise, Shem draws his daggers and charges the crazed human, seeing his dwarf friend in trouble. Once again he reaches out towards the man with a grasp of crackling black lightning, eyes filled with darkness.

I'm going to charge the human warrior through Bliss's space, drawing daggers and stopping in the square diagonally to the top right in order to make my attacks.

DC14 to save against my aura/malediction (that's two saves). If he fails against the aura he gains -1 to attack rolls and tumble, if he fails against the malediction he suffers a -3 to social checks and 20% spell failure chance.

Attack1:[roll0]
Damage1:[roll1] + [roll2] if he suffers from either the aura or malediction
Attack2:[roll3]
Damage2:[roll4]+[roll5] again if he suffers from aura or malediction.

Shem's AC is reduced to 14 for a turn.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-19, 10:25 AM
Shem deftly maneuvers into melee, casting his Maledictions at the man. The halfling draws two bleeding dagger wounds into the human's side, and can feel him succumb to the crackling black lightning.

In response, the man roars his defiance, a fresh spray of bloody foam dribbles down his mouth. You see one of the wounds begin to close before your very eyes, as he yells "It's a witch! Burn it! Tiny little witch!"

His blade cuts through the air with devastating speed, and catches Shem across the belly. A deep, bleeding gash opens across his stomach, and he feels like his blood has been replaced by cold seawater. A dark purple ruby set in the crosspiece of the longsword glows with a faint light, and a trickle of Shem's blood creeps up the blade. The hungry stone stops glowing, and the dagger wounds on the man's body heal further.

The goblin on the wolf curses when it sees its spider get crushed. Weaving some magic of its own, black energy flows from its fingertips down its hand. The goblin commands its wolf to carry it forward, and it reaches out and attempts to inflict whatever terrible curse on Aiden. The monk is able to dodge the touch attack, and the black energy continues to roil along the goblin's hand.

You hit with both attacks, and both the aura and Malediction hit.
On his turn, he Fast Heals a small amount. Then, he hits Shem for 8 damage, plus 1 Vile damage. As the blow connects, he Heals another small amount.

The goblin casts a spell, but misses with its Touch Attack (19 Touch AC! Wow!) so it still holds the charge.

It is now your turn.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-19, 11:56 AM
Aiden wanted - desperately - to go heal his companions, but the simple fact was he could not get there quickly enough, and certainly not with the goblin and wolf worrying his heels. He gritted his teeth, put his trust in the party to be able to hold, and cut loose with all his martial skill, lashing out at the spellcaster with a hard jab to the chest followed by a powerful haymaker, trying to make an opening to get closer to the melee. "Mellia! Help them! I'll hold this one off!"

Standard (Yay Revised TWF!): Attack the goblin at [roll0] for [roll1] and [roll2] for [roll3]. If the first attack drops the goblin, the second will go for the wolf.

Move: If I drop the goblin, I'll risk the AoO from the wolf and move 30' closer to the others (note to self: just because you're going to be getting huge Tumble bonuses in a couple levels and have a high Dex doesn't mean you get to ignore the fact that it's a trained only skill, you imbecile).

If I don't drop the goblin, I'll 5' step in that direction because it's better than nothing.

Party Status:
Boli: 2/14. 1 Vile.
Shem: 1/10. 1 Vile.

Current Resources:

NotScaryBats
2014-08-19, 12:17 PM
Aiden may feel a cold lump form in the pit of his stomach, as he recognizes the spell being cast. It is a Corrupt Spell -- foul, malign magic that requires a terrible sacrifice body and soul from the caster. Though this is the least of such spells, Seething Eyebane, it is still capable of dealing incredible damage and permanently blinding its victim.

This horrible realization doesn't disrupt Aiden's focus, however, and he is able to land a solid blow on the goblin, who is unable to force his wolf to take the hit, though his coup de grace misses. The goblin is bruised and battered, but keeps its saddle and glares balefully down at the monk.

Jötunn
2014-08-19, 12:28 PM
Shem grins at the man's cry of "Witch!" - that is, until the axe opens up his belly and Shem is gripped with an icy chill. He staggers back, one hand warding off the crazed warrior, the other clapped to his torn stomach. Once out of the reach of the wildly swinging axe, he turns and runs, afraid for his life.

Shem is going to use the withdraw action, moving twice his speed towards Mellia and, if possible, inside the inn, hoping to find safe refuge. He doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity from the first square he leaves.

Illven
2014-08-19, 01:23 PM
Mellia seems to focus on the goblin spellcaster for a moment, waiting for him to start casting, to fire a ray at him.

Taking a ready action to shoot the goblin spellcaster if he tries to hit with corrupt eyebane, or cast another spell.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-19, 02:29 PM
Boli draws his axe and swings it menacingly, though his strength fades. He tries to keep his defenses up, though it's wearing on his ability to fight.

Move: Draw weapon
Standard: Attack while Fighting Defensively
Free: I target him with my Dodge feat.
+3 to AC, -4 to Attack

[roll0]
[roll1]

bekeleven
2014-08-19, 02:50 PM
Seeing her last spell fail, Bliss tries once more to remove the man from the fight.

Cast sleep again, same DC (13). Again.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-19, 11:30 PM
Boli misses with his attack, more interested in defense than offense.

Bliss steps backwards, once again attempting to ensnare the man's mind with her magic.

Shem moves out of the melee.

Mellia sees the goblin again attempt to inflict its terrible spell upon Aiden, though once again the cunning monk avoids the touch.

The man cuts through Boli's defenses and incapacitates the dwarf, before succumbing to the Sleep spell and falling unconscious on its own.

Boli is hit for another 10 damage, plus 1 Vile damage, putting him at -9.
Luther fails his Will save and is put to sleep.
the goblin misses its touch attack again, triggering Mellia's readied action

It is now your turn.

bekeleven
2014-08-19, 11:42 PM
Bliss runs over to Boli and uses her last spell to make sure he doesn't get worse.

Glancing at the sleeping red, she mutters, "Rope! How did I forget rope!" before grabbing her javelin and looking over at the fighting.

Bliss is now out of class abilities and spells, at least for the next ~4 minutes.

Cure Minor Wounds on Boli, then swap out her dagger for her javelin.

Luthor is asleep for 1 minute. And no, Bliss isn't the CDG type.

Illven
2014-08-19, 11:45 PM
Mellia's readied action from last turn

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

She will take the same readied action again.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-19, 11:54 PM
Mellia's Eldritch Blast again crashes into the goblin, nearly killing it. The creature snarls and spits, unwilling to die.

Bliss stabilizes the wounded dwarf, preventing him from bleeding to death.

Illven
2014-08-20, 12:34 AM
Mellia instead fires at the goblin again in quick succession.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

NotScaryBats
2014-08-20, 12:47 AM
Mellia's arcane aim blasts the goblin yet again. This proves to be the Eldritch Blast that broke the goblin's neck, for he slumps in his saddle and falls from the wolf in a heap. The wolf turns and attempts to flee the scene.

Do you let the beast go?
How do you deal with Luther?

bekeleven
2014-08-20, 01:27 AM
Seeing the last enemies flee, Bliss looks around for items of use.

"Does anybody have rope? Or cuffs? And something for Boli?"

Spot check: Looking for ropes, a leather thong, stocks, or anything else that can tie a person about Luthor-sized.

Spot: [roll0]

Illven
2014-08-20, 01:29 AM
Anyone have any healing for Boli? Mellia replies running over to him in a panic.

She looks at Shem for the potions.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-20, 02:27 AM
Aiden gave a hard swallow when he recognized the spell, dodging fitfully to keep ahead of the goblin's magic-charged hand. He didn't have an opening to counter until Mellia's rapid blasts felled the caster.

He let out a relieved breath, raising one hand in a wave of thanks to her as he turned to the other fight. That foe was down too...but so was Boli. He rushed over, rubbing his hands together, and pressed them on the dwarf's chest, his skin momentarily glowing a soft red all over as the energy he had gathered rushed through him, out of him, and into the dwarf.

Breathing heavily, he stood straighter, shaking his head. "That's all I have left," he said.

Spending 7 Chi Healing to get Boli...up to -1 :smallsigh:. But a potion should get him back in action now.

Party Status:
Boli: -1/14. 2 Vile.
Shem: 1/10. 1 Vile.

Current Resources:
Chi Healing: 0/12.

Jötunn
2014-08-20, 10:10 AM
Shem staggers out of the inn after seeing Luthor collapse to the ground. He has the good grace to look ashamed of his actions, and he is still clutching his belly as he walks over to Boli and pours a healing potion down his throat before drinking the other one himself.

As soon as the dwarf wakes up, he begins apologising profusely: "Boli, I don't know whether you can forgive me, I didn't have your back, I ran away like a coward because my own life was in danger and yet so was yours..."

If he's not interrupted, he eventually trails off, tears welling up in his eyes.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-20, 04:35 PM
Boli sputters as the last bit of potion does it's job, groggily listening to Shem's apologies before doing his best to say "It's alright, lad. Ah'm still kickin'. Ah can't blame ya fer runnin'; not many would stay when it looks like yer gonna die."

He sits up and readjusts his helm before looking at the sleeping Luther and saying "Is somebody gonna kill him? Ah don't feel like gettin' up at the moment."

NotScaryBats
2014-08-20, 09:58 PM
Boli is healed for [roll0]
Shem is healed for [roll1]

Illven
2014-08-20, 10:33 PM
Mellia walks over, and gives Shem a reassuring pat on his shoulder, leaning down to do it.

Hey, not like I've entered melee combat. She points out chuckling.

She then looks him right in the eye You only have one life, so don't waste it. She says lingering gaze with him before turning to the goblin.

I'd rather keep the goblin alive. We can ask him for info later, and we can throw him in prison when we get back to the Falcons.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-20, 11:46 PM
You gather the two unconscious enemies together. Luther's wounds have completely closed up, and you only have about a minute to decide what you ultimately want to do with him. His sword is of extremely fine craftsmanship, but is not magical -- the purple gem set in it is. The goblin has an iron anklet that is also magical.

Illven
2014-08-21, 12:04 AM
Mellia looks at the gem, and the anklet for aura strength.

I wouldn't trust the gem, it might have made his sword inflict those cursed wounds. She suggests.

Magic insight on the gem and anklet.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-21, 12:04 AM
Aiden...was not a big fan of slaying defeated foes. He also wasn't naive, and knew both their mission parameters and the most practical course given the situation. Regardless, he didn't plan to allow the warrior the chance to cause his friends more harm. He'd take the fighter's sword and place it a good ways off for further examination by the party, along with any other weaponry or devices he or the goblin might have been carrying, conducting first a quick visual scan before checking manually to make sure he didn't miss anything. He went about his task silently, offering no counsel regarding the larger question, although he did nod in response to Mellia's suggestion.

Aiden will Search Luther and the goblin twice, the first time at [roll0], [roll1]. The second time he'll take 10 on each for 20 total. Any weapons or other items that look like they could be harmful/useful/magical he'll remove to say fifty feet away.

Party Status:
Boli: 4/14. 2 Vile.
Shem: 8/10. 1 Vile.

Current Resources:
Chi Healing: 0/12.

Illven
2014-08-21, 12:15 AM
Mellia also pulls out her rope out of her pack, and unties it as she passing it off to Bliss.

You needed this? She asked.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-21, 12:19 AM
Aiden conducts a thorough search of the two foes. Luther was apparently only carrying the sword with the gem in it. The gem has a faint magical aura glow, while the anklet has a moderate one. You cannot tell the schools of magic, however.

The goblin is carrying many items. On its belt is a rolled up piece of paper in a scroll case. This paper is written in a goblin cipher (Decipher Script DC 25). It also has a morningstar, a metal holy symbol with a skull and spikes on it, and chainmail armor. A small sacrificial dagger shaped like a kris sends a chill through your body when you touch it, but has no magical aura, though it is of exquisite craftsmanship. The goblin also carries a pouch of money and small gemstones. Finally, tucked within the tunic it wears under the armor in a leather sheath is a beautiful mirror made of cold iron. The mirror looks conspicuous, of course, but also has no magical aura.

Illven
2014-08-21, 12:31 AM
Mellia points to the gem.

That gem has a faint aura. She then points to the anklet

That's moderate. Does anyone want to try it out? She offers picking it up and holding it.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-21, 04:45 AM
Boli gets to his feet, brandishing his axe towards Luther and asks loudly "Afore I kill him, is anyone gonna fight me about it?"

Illven
2014-08-21, 01:23 PM
Mellia speaks up

I'd really rather keep him alive. She says one hand on her hip.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-21, 03:50 PM
Boli sighs a bit as he gets ready for an argument from multiple sides. "Yea, ah know lass. Problem there bein' that our orders say otherwise. He is to be found dead or we haven't completed our duty."

He stands over Luther, stretching his sword-arm, before saying "It's not like ah enjoy killing him while he's sleeping, either, it just has to be done."

NotScaryBats
2014-08-21, 04:07 PM
An older man exits the tavern, with the boy and a handful of other citizens in tow. He has a salt and pepper mustache, and is nearly bald. His clothing marks him as something other than a farmer; there are no patches in his pants, and his buttons are made of metal. Grim brown eyes regard you five as he approaches you. "You must be Shaester's Falcons? Thom, fetch me Bobby's axe -- he won't be needin' it no more," he begins in a country accent. As the boy scampers off to retrieve the axe, the man continues, "we've got seven children an' two women unaccounted fer. You can leave Luther to me, but you gotta find the missing people afore somethin' like this," he waves generally at the massacre in the town square, "happens ta them."

Two grown women are detangling the spiderwebbed bodies, and call out quickly, "Jean, it looks like Sue, Bella, and the kids are here! They're still breathing!"

To this, Jean nods and amends his previous statement, "Make that four children unaccounted fer."

Illven
2014-08-21, 04:16 PM
Have all the buildings been searched? Mellia asked holding a single finger, in a thoughtful position.

bekeleven
2014-08-21, 04:21 PM
As she tends to the woman Luthor had been dragging, Bliss nods to the new man. "Fine then. You take charge of him."

Sense Motive, for kicks: [roll0]. Is he planning on killing anybody?

Heal check, since you can't do anything with a result of 10: [roll1]. She's mostly looking to assess the woman's condition, and stop bleeding if there is any.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-21, 04:32 PM
"The spider came from the church," Aiden said, heading back in there to look around for the missing children.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-21, 04:34 PM
The woman is bruised, but doesn't seem to be bleeding externally. You have a very strong impression that execution is on Jean's mind.

At this point, the buildings have all been searched. The missing children are in neither, however, and you only find the insides ransacked.

Aiden recalls what the goblin priest shouted to Luther before the brutal fighting occurred.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-21, 04:41 PM
Aiden came back out of the church. "They aren't in there. The goblin had wanted Luther to go to a place called Dryad's Circle after finishing here...they may have been taken there," His voice hit on a grim note. He had hoped they'd have a chance to rest before checking that place out. He looked to those townspeople who were present. "Are any of you familiar with that place?"

NotScaryBats
2014-08-21, 04:46 PM
"It's only about two miles north from here," one of the women says, struggling to remove the sticky, metallic spiderweb from one of the incapacitated women. "Cursed place. I'm not surprised they went there!" the other woman chimes in, working on one of the children in web.

Illven
2014-08-21, 05:16 PM
Do you have a map? Mellia asked. Or is it a straight path? She also suggested.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-21, 05:17 PM
Aiden nodded, and went to assist in removing those who were still trapped in the webbing.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-21, 06:14 PM
Boli put his axe back in it's loop and states "If that's where they been taken, that's where we 'ave to go too."

Imma make some knowledge rolls here.

For Dryad's Circle
[roll0] History
[roll1] Local

And then a roll for Dryads, since I'm sure it'll come up.
[roll2] Nature

NotScaryBats
2014-08-21, 08:21 PM
Thom returns to Jean with Bobby's axe. It is a simple weapon, but Jean intends to put it to work. He executes first Luther, with no to-do or final words. The goblin is next on the chopping block, assuming no one attempts to interfere.

Aiden succeeds in working off the sticky, tough spider fibers from the children and women there. They seem relatively fine, though they were beaten to unconsciousness.

Mellia is furnished with a detailed description of the path to the Dryad's Circle, and can easily find it.

Boli uses his encyclopedic knowledge of history and the area to recant the lore surrounding this mysterious area:

Before Onionseed was founded, the area was widely unsettled. Those few who lived in the area worked alongside the Fey creatures that made this place their home. The fertile grasslands were ideal places for farmers, however, and as the demand from cities like Ironwall grew, settlers began to make farming communities like Onionseed. It was the Dryad's Circle where the confrontation between the new settlers and the Fey of the area took place. The leader of the Fey, Namina, was a dryad. When she refused to back down and allow the settlers free reign of the area, her tree was cut down. The Dryad's Circle is an unpleasant place, and no one has settled within a mile of it since that fateful day that civilization conquered nature.

Dryads are Fey creatures whose spirits are tied to ancient oaks. If their tree is destroyed, so are they. They have some druidic magic, and are friends of wild animals and plants. Like most Fey, Dryads resent civilization's inexorable march, and wish to be left alone.

Illven
2014-08-21, 08:53 PM
Mellia is not in the room, or within line of sight of the executions.

After Boli finishes his explanation, Mellia chuckles.

You'd think making a fey pact with a nymph would come with all this info, but for some reason I only know things about demons and angels.

It's strange. She mutters, before perking up. But don't worry, I'll make sure to check the Dryad's circle for hostile magics. She says, pulling out the anklet again

On the magic note. Who wants to try this out?

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-22, 02:59 AM
Aiden raised one hand to Mellia in a forestalling gesture, and shook his head. He tried to avoid the temptation offered by magical trinkets.

"If there are children in our foes' clutches, I suppose we can ill afford patience. Nonetheless, our healing capability is limited at this point, so caution is warranted. Once we near the circle, it would, I think, be wise for Shem and I to see if we can scout it. With luck, there won't be too many enemy forces remaining there."

He went over to the man with the axe, although he kept his gaze notably averted from the slain. "Jean, was it? A word, please," he requested, speaking softly so as to keep others from overhearing. "I do not know the best way to bring this to the attention of your people, and would not want to incite a panic, but we have reason to believe your well has been poisoned. There are clerics on the way to deal with it and treat anyone who has been exposed, but for the time being it would be best if you and your people avoided drinking the water."

bekeleven
2014-08-22, 04:42 PM
Bliss averts her eyes from Jean. She collects her dropped things and grabs her tent from the wagon, gaze on the ground outside of occasional glances to the north. Finally, she heads over to the inn and leans against a wall, waiting.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-23, 01:31 AM
"When people began to get sick, we'd thought we'd been curst. But how do you... No. It's fine. Thanks for the warning and all you've done so far. I pray you can find the kids..." Jean responds.

The Falcons begin to prepare to move out again despite their weariness from the lengthy combat. The sun is still high in the sky and the heat of the day is steady. It is about two hours until dusk.

Traveling north from the town square, you quickly see how forbidden this part is. There are no buildings, and the road looks like it was abandoned many years ago. The going is not too difficult, however, and before long you have gone about a mile and a half.

Up ahead, you see a sinister black cloud hanging low over a ravine half a mile from your position. The cloud casts its shadow over the ravine, and the rain pouring out of it is so thick it looks black from here.

Are you sending a small scouting force up ahead? everyone at once?

Illven
2014-08-23, 01:36 AM
Mellia starts scanning the area for magic.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-23, 01:40 AM
As they walked, Aiden couldn't help but keep a concerned eye on Boli. He knew better than to ask the dwarf if he wanted to stay behind, but he was worried about his injuries nonetheless.

Regardless, there was little to do for it at the moment.

The sight of the...likely-unnatural storm didn't exactly bring him ease and comfort. Nonetheless, as they neared, he slipped off to the side and started keeping to cover. He wouldn't argue with the others if they wished to all move in together, but if they wanted to allow he and Shem to scout ahead, it was as good a cue as any for them to slow down or hold back.

Taking 10 on Hide and Move Silently for 19.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-23, 02:58 AM
Boli frequently had to conceal a displeased grunt as they walked from the pain of his wounds, the dwarf preferring to conceal how he wanted to rest rather than allow himself the weakness.

As he notices the dark storm, he sighs and states quietly that "The sneaky ones among us should go first to scout ahead. Ah'm in no shape to even make the attempt an' my armor'd be in the way, as much as I'd love to go first an' crack some goblin skulls."

A darkness falls over the dwarf's face as he mentions his injuries, the severity of the situation not lost on him.

bekeleven
2014-08-23, 03:10 AM
Bliss shifts to walk in front of Boli, spinning her javelin absently between her hands. "Don't worry. I'll protect you."

Jötunn
2014-08-23, 07:23 AM
Shem is quiet most of the time - he follows Boli, attempting to be helpful and apologising profusely when anything regarding the previous fight crops up.

Shem's sorry.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-23, 09:29 AM
Aiden slips ahead and scouts. The half mile to the ravine is deserted, and when you get beneath the cloud, you find that blood is pouring from the sky in a sticky red mess. It is horrifying.

Should you press on, the bottom of the ravine is quickly reached. It looks like it might have once been a pleasant place, with a tiny pond, a ring of stones, and a great tree trunk. At this moment, however, whole scene is washed in red, a large cage sits beside the tree trunk with four children aged 5-10 in it. Standing before the circle of stones, you see an eight year old girl in blue homespun dress. Her hair is limp from the bloody rain, and hangs around her head and down her face. She seems to be in a daze, and does not notice you.

From the moment you enter the rain, make a DC 20 Will check. Failure gives you a -1 morale penalty to attack and damage rolls, saves and skill checks for the next 24 hours. After 20 minutes, the rain stops but the cloud doesn't go away.

Aiden is free to scout and return, or the entire group can move forward.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-23, 11:44 AM
Aiden's stomach lurched at the sight of the rain of blood, but features set determinedly he made his way in, regardless of if the others followed.

He would rate the next several minutes as the worst of his life thus far. The blood rain was both primally unnerving and utterly disgusting, to say nothing for being an affront to life and nature both. Aiden truly believed that all life was interconnected and any death diminished the world, but even so, he resolved that if he managed to learn who was responsible for such a blight, he would end them.

Nonetheless, he persevered, making his way stealthily to the bottom of the ravine. Seeing the children in such a state, in such a place, only further sickened and horrified him, and he almost moved boldly to free them immediately. Instead, he forced himself to retain his focus. Rushing in blind and getting killed would aid no one.

Instead, he cased the area carefully. If the others had stayed behind, he'd spend a few minutes scouting the perimeter and keeping a close eye on the goings-on within, before determining his next move.

Will vs. Things Which Should Not Be (DC 20): [roll0]. EDIT: So close. WAIT! Is this an Enchantment? I have +2 vs. Enchantments!
All things considered, that's likely to fail, so I'm incorporating the penalty into my skill checks. On the off chance it succeeds, increase all below totals by 1.

First off, Spot and Listen to check for hidden enemies/dangers/whatever. If Aiden is alone (or only with Shem), he'll Take 20 while also moving about the perimeter of the area. [roll1], [roll2]. Replace with 25 total if he has the time to Take 20.

Also, Sense Motive to see if I can determine anything/get a hunch about the girl outside the cage. [roll3].

While he's at it, he'll take a standard action to study the girl closely, looking for any sign of illusion. Will [roll4].

Regardless, if the party is present, he'll then look to them to devise a plan of action. If not, he'll head back to them unless it becomes apparent that the children are in imminent danger. In which case I'll have to come up with a new plan :smallbiggrin:.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-24, 12:27 AM
Aiden scouts forward on his own. The Rain of Blood is not an enchantment, and Mellia does not detect any magic in the clouds or the rain. Aiden stealthily explores the area, and nothing moves or reacts to his presence at all. The girl continues to stand, dazed, looking off in the distance. When you study her, you get a Very Bad Feeling, but are fairly confident she is not an illusion, at least.

After taking the time to ensure there are no hidden enemies, Aiden returns to the party, drenched in blood. The rain stops by the time he returns to them; about 30 minutes have passed. The storm clouds make no signs of clearing.

Illven
2014-08-24, 12:32 AM
Mellia seems to avoid Aiden, putting the back of her hand over her nose she speaks up

Learn anything? She asks.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-24, 02:21 AM
It was a wretched figure that game shambling back to the group, crimson from head to toe and soaked to the bone. "The first thing I do when we get back to Onionseed," he had his companions know, his voice sounding like he was about to cry. Or scream. "Is take a long, hot ba-"

And then he remembered the poison in the well.

Aww-ww...

All of life is connected. Every death diminishes the world. All of life is connected. Every death diminishes the world. All of life is connected. Every death diminishes the world. He repeated the mantra over and over in his head. If he did it enough, then maybe, just maybe, he would be able to restrain himself from killing Doctor Geoffrey when they returned.

"Dryad's Circle is at the bottom of the ravine. The four children are down there, being held in a cage. They did not appear hurt. There was also a fifth child there. She was not in the cage. She appeared oblivious to her surroundings. Something was off about her. I cannot put it into words. I would regard her with extreme caution. I did not locate any other apparent enemies or dangers." Aiden was generally soft-spoken, but his voice as he gave the report was completely flat.

bekeleven
2014-08-24, 02:37 AM
"Then follow me." Bliss walks by the monk without slowing her stride.

[roll0] Actively spotting for anything out of place.

Edit: Well, I was thinking of taking 10...

Jötunn
2014-08-24, 07:41 AM
By the time Aiden returns to the group, Shem seems to have gathered himself together somewhat, although he is still apologetic.

"There is a fifth child? Perhaps this is the dryad Namina, or another fey related to her. The situation you describe certainly has an unearthly quality." Shem looks down at the ground, before speaking again and apologising for the last time. "I apologise once again, I have been out of sorts. This wound... I believe there is something strange about it, but I am back with us now. I won't let you go alone next time." He steps forward and moves after Bliss towards the ominous cloud.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-24, 09:52 AM
The marching order is resumed, and the Falcons tromp down the path. The tangy, sour smell of blood is all you can smell as you walk around puddles of red liquid and your boots squish in sanguine mud. Though the rest of you are unaffected by the extraordinary consequences of the Rain of Blood, it is still a sight unlike any you have seen before. No birds or insects make a sound, and as you pass beneath the cloud, the weird twilight world of the ravine is like a dream.

Finally, the bottom of the ravine is reached, with its reeking pond, circle of stones, massive tree trunk, cage of children, and mysterious girl. She hasn't moved an inch since Aiden saw her last, but she looks up at your approach now. Her hair is hanging wet and tangled over her face and her arms are limp at her sides. She speaks in a high, childish voice, "Who are you? You are not who I was expecting."

Those more interested in the children in the cage can see from this proximity that they are breathing, but seem to be passed out from the stress and horror of the day. You cannot tell if what covers them is their own blood or just the Rain.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-24, 11:09 AM
Aiden stood silently, a wary eye on the girl. He honestly had no idea how best to respond to her.

Illven
2014-08-24, 11:54 AM
Mellia moves up to the front of the group to speak to the child.

Hello, dear. My name is Mellia. What's your name? She says brightly.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-24, 09:31 PM
"Hello Mellia. Griknik and his goblins called me Doresain. Luther called me Maurezhi.You may call me what you wish. Did you kill them? Is that why you come in their stead?" The girl's voice continues to be high and sweet.

bekeleven
2014-08-25, 02:50 AM
Bliss walks up to the circle's edge, careful not to point her (re-wrapped) javelin forward. "I am Bliss. Thank you for speaking to us, stranger."

"We're here to bring back anybody that doesn't wish to stay. Like the children in the cage. You may make your own choice."

Illven
2014-08-25, 06:43 AM
Mellia throws Bliss a glare, but waits to see what the little girl's response is, before saying anything herself.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-25, 08:46 AM
"Hello Bliss. Do you know why a mortal's life is so precious?" the girl turns her head slightly to look at Bliss, hair still covering her face and obfuscating her features. "It is because you have so much potential. Tell me why you value these four above Griknik, his goblins, or even Luther, who looked as you do? If they must die and these must live, surely you have some rhyme or reason for the decision? Have you already judged me?"

Illven
2014-08-25, 09:06 AM
We want the children because they haven't harmed anyone as far as we are aware. Mellia answers slowly. Luther and the goblins did harm the town, and I still wanted him alive.

And no dear, I haven't judged you. Mellia replied.

Jötunn
2014-08-25, 09:07 AM
"Uh... I'm called Shem." he says, before looking slightly sheepish at following the pattern. "I value those four above Luther and his cronies because these four have not taken an innocent life unjustly. How could we have judged you similarly? This is certainly a strange place that you reside in, but I would not presume to judge you for it."

He is very clearly phrasing his words carefully as he speaks - he may have acted rashly in the past but this situation is screaming at him to step carefully with what he does and says.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-25, 09:22 AM
"I see. Doing harm to others is makes a life less worthwhile? If you wanted him alive am I to understand that he is no longer? Have you done harm to others? Did you kill anyone today?" the girl asks of Bliss.

"Hello Shem. Taking an innocent life unjustly... If you slaughter a calf to eat it, is this just? If you slaughter a halfling to sacrifice it, is this just? What about a farmer whose ancestors committed atrocities against Nature? What if the sacrifice will empower you, allowing you to do more good or dispense more justice in the future?" Her voice is full of curiosity, like a young child asking its parent why it rains.

Illven
2014-08-25, 09:38 AM
Doing harm to others unjustly, makes a worst world. Mellia explains.

I'm really not qualifed to answer these questions. Why don't you come with us, and we can have priest explain these questions.

bekeleven
2014-08-25, 11:24 AM
"I have not killed today. But I... watched as others killed those I captured. I took no pleasure from it.

I want to resolve this without more bloodshed. Nobody else has to die. Let the children free. Please."

Bliss looks down at the stone circle in front of her feet.

[roll0] (Edit: this is a diplomacy check)

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-25, 01:48 PM
Ah. Ethical debates. That was something Aiden could contribute to. The normally quiet elf went into a downright discourse. "All of life is connected, and any death does indeed diminish the whole. However, if a living being is going to cause more death, then the total diminishment for slaying that one being is still less than if it is allowed to continue to kill. In the ideal, such individuals can instead be contained, rehabilitated, and redeemed, but doing so is a difficult process, neither certain nor without risk. To kill in the heat of mortal battle or execute a murderer is not the preferable course of action, but is also not an unreasonable one."

"To kill for food is another matter. All life is connected, but death is part of life's cycle. All creatures need to consume other living things, even if only plants, in order to survive. That is the way of nature, a simple truth that has existed for long before mortal beings were sufficiently mentally advanced to comprehend such ethical questions as you ask. One should always take care that the cycle of life is not unduly harmed by one's consumption, and to subsist on less rich fare than others so as to protect animal lives is, I think, an overall positive thing. But it would not be unethical to refuse to do so, any more than it is unethical for the wolf to eat the rabbit."

"As for these children, my companions have provided sufficient explanation, but I would also add that as children, these four are entitled to a greater degree of protection by their society than an adult who can fend for itself, which likewise is entitled to more protection than a warrior trained to fight, who likewise is more worthy of protection than those like us, adventurers who choose to pit our luck and skills against unknown dangers for the good of our communities. We will protect them, because it is our duty and our privilege to protect those who cannot protect themselves."

NotScaryBats
2014-08-25, 10:17 PM
"You should study the Abyss more, Mellia. Qualify yourself to answer these difficult question," the girl says fondly to Mellia.

"'All of life is connected...' An interesting thought. Would you gladly rest in your grave if the fight had gone differently and the goblins destroyed your eyes and harvested your blood? Would you be content that you were murdered in the heat of battle, since that is not an unreasonable course of action?"

"I believe you misunderstand the situation. You may free the children if you wish; I would never infringe upon the freedom of a sentient being."

bekeleven
2014-08-25, 10:30 PM
Bliss nods and steps into the circle, moving towards the cage.

Take 10 to see how the cage is closed/locked, result 14.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-25, 10:41 PM
"Would I be glad for it? I dare say not. That being said, I went into that battle in full knowledge that had I and my companions not been skilled enough, I could have met that fate. And similarly, having joined that battle, I would not hold my own death against the goblins. For them to slay me in battle, in that situation, would not have been unethical, for I was their enemy and bringing violence against them. Just because it was their evil deeds that led us into conflict with them does not mean that once the conflict began they had no right to defend themselves."

He all but forced himself not to look at Bliss as she moved towards the children, keeping his attention on the girl.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-25, 10:44 PM
The cage has a simple lock.

DC 20 Disable Device to unlock it, or you could probably break it.

Jötunn
2014-08-25, 10:49 PM
"Here, let me give that a shot."

Shem moves towards Bliss and the gate, into the circle.

Open Lock:[roll0]

NotScaryBats
2014-08-25, 11:09 PM
With a flick of the wrist and a POP, the lock clicks open.

"That is good to know." The girl says quietly. She straightens slightly, and addresses the group, "the discussion has been fascinating, mortals. Translate Griknik's note, follow it, and we shall meet again."

Soundlessly, the girl vanishes.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-25, 11:21 PM
"...I...do not want to know what we just debated ethics with, do I?" Aiden asked, to no one in particular. Shaking his head, he joined the others at the cage.

Jötunn
2014-08-25, 11:22 PM
"...All I know is that if we do meet her again, as she says we might, you're the one doing the talking."

bekeleven
2014-08-25, 11:24 PM
"I think I would like to speak with her again some day."

But for now, Bliss has other priorities. She checks the status of the children, and if possible moves them out of the cage.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-26, 12:05 AM
Boli finally speaks up, the troubling apparition of a child finally gone, and states "Ya best hope it weren't some ghost come back. If'n it took a fancy to ya, I dinnae envy you."

NotScaryBats
2014-08-26, 12:44 AM
Immediately after the girl disappeared, the black clouds overhead begin to clear. It is nearing dusk at this point.

The children are easily taken from the soggy cage, and distributed among the Falcons. It doesn't take long to determine who is fit to carry a child and who isn't, and Boli takes the largest, Bliss the second largest, Aiden and Shem share the next largest, and Mellia manages to take the smallest.

The trip back to town is much faster than the trip out. Though night has fallen by the time you trek the two miles back to town, you are likely in high spirits.

Back at the town square, you see that the bodies have been disposed of, the chalk is cleaned up, and a trio of intriguing characters are conversing just outside the inn. You recognize them all as senior members of Shaester's Falcons.

Cestrasza the kobold is speaking with Kiki the gnome and Seven Thousand the warforged. You understand these three to be a retired mercenary party, with Cestrasza the arcane caster, Kiki the divine, and Seven Thousand the muscle. The kobold throws down the cigarette she was smoking and stomps on it, lighting up another as she approaches you. Her scales are polished gold and her garments fine red silks.

"Hey, heroes of the day! You did some great work today. Kiki took care of the poisoned townsfolk soon as we got here. You look like hell -- do you need healing? Those the missing children? " her speech is very rapid after such a long day, but at least she has a cheerful demeanor. Her companions stay behind so as to not crowd you.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-26, 01:29 AM
"Excellent," Aiden said warmly. "And some of us need healing, yes. Personally...I would be most grateful for a casting of Prestidigitation," he said, his voice hovering somewhere between dry amusement and...shameless pleading.

bekeleven
2014-08-26, 01:33 AM
Bliss nods to her superiors before staggering into the inn, depositing her child on the nearest flat surface, and then collapsing herself.

"I'll rise again with the sun," she mutters. The bedroll bundled on her back was somehow too far away.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-26, 01:54 AM
"Hey sure thing," Cestrasza says, easily casting the cantrip and cleaning the group. As she does so, she asks for a report. "Looks like some pretty heavy stuff for your first time -- everyone okay? That was some ****, all right. You did good with the goblins and the ringleader though. Real good. Anything to report? You find anything you need identified?" Again, the words spill from her tiny dragon mouth as fast as you can make sense of them.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-26, 03:25 AM
Boli coughs a bit, muttering that "My wounds don't feel right. Somethin' strange, though it could jus' be me losin my head. Might want to mention the strange girl we found, too. She was asking all these strange questions afore she vanished into thin air."

Illven
2014-08-26, 06:43 AM
I think it was connect to the Maurezhi. Mellia explained. The strange girl that is. She elaborates.

She then pulls out the gem and the anklet. Yeah, we liberated these from the goblins. Any idea what they are?

NotScaryBats
2014-08-26, 10:39 AM
Cestrasza nods seriously and calls Kiki over. The gnome frowns and inspects Boli. She is gaunt for a gnome, with a shaved head and dozens of holy symbols around her neck. She motions for everyone to gather around and brandishes one of the holy symbols as a burst of positive energy fills your hearts with strength. As the Vile wounds refuse to close, her brow knits together and she inspects the blistered, damaged flesh more closely.

Kiki looks gravely over at Cestrasza and there seems to be a silent communication between the two. The kobold explains, "these are Vile wounds. Whatever did this to you was truly, deplorably evil -- it's such an evil violation of your body that it can only be healed in a holy place. Kiki's gonna prepare the proper spells to deal with it tomorrow." She lets out a soft whistle and shakes her head. "Man, that's some ****. You saw a strange girl? What kind of questions did she ask before she vanished?"

After Mellia speaks up, Cestrasza perks up and rubs her claws together. "Now this I like. Here, gimmie gimmie lemme have a look at that." The exuberant kobold spends a few moments examining the magical items before nodding appreciatively. "Townsfolk said Luther had a Vampiric Sword, but turns out it was jus' this gem doing the heavy lifting. It's a Crystal of Life Drinking and it'll drain vitality from foes you hit with your weapon. Then you got an Anklet of Translocation which you can use to teleport a short distance. I'd call it more telehopping than anything, but if you're in a bind, it can be a neat trinket to have. Kiki wears one. This last gem is kinda unique. It has a reservoir of arcane magic inside. You can draw out a bit at a time to replenish your own magical energies. We call 'em Pearls of Power but this one was made by draining the life forces of those four militiamen in the ritual you stopped when you got here. I'd understand if you don't wanna keep it, but it's not like their souls are writhing around inside or anything -- they're gone on now -- so there's nothing evil about using it.

"If you wanna ditch the Pearl I'll give you, say, 500 for it."

You received the following Loot:
Medium Masterwork Longsword
Small Masterwork Dagger
(Arcane) (Blood) Pearl of Power level 1
Anklet of Translocation
Least Crystal of Life Drinking
Mysterious Mirror worth 250 gp
100 gp of coins and gems
Encrypted Note

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-26, 11:52 AM
"Thank you," Aiden said emphatically. "She asked us questions of ethics mostly. If the goblins were dead, whether and why we felt they deserved to die. She appeared to be an eight year old girl, though obviously she was not. She didn't impede us from recovering the children, but she had said she had been waiting for the goblins. Whether she was in league with them or just an in-" he paused. Hrm. Gonna go ahead and take a guess of 'no' on that one. "Or just a bystander, I do not know. However, the clouds around Dryad's Circle vanished when she did, and they had been raining blood prior."

"Also possibly of consequence is that there was something...strange about the goblins. Their injuries healed slightly as they were inflicted, and one of them had wings. I am not sure what magic might have caused such mutations."

"That one there was apparently the leader. Luther seemed to be taking orders from him."

He didn't move to claim any of the magical gear. Such things were luxuries he had long since forsworn. But he did add, "We also found this note. I believe it's written in goblin, but it's in some kind of code. Would any of you be able to break it, by chance?"

NotScaryBats
2014-08-26, 12:23 PM
"It was raining blood?" the kobold loses her genial grin and looks serious for the first time since you've seen her. "If I'm adding this together correctly, it sounds like you met a powerful demon. The Prime recoils against potent Outsiders walking around with evil weather, and these goblins looked like they were touched by the Abyss -- the infinite planes of chaos that demons hail from. You guys are lucky to be alive. If it was strong enough to evoke Rain of Blood and warp these goblins and open Vile wounds..." she trails off.

Taking the note, the kobold regains some of her panache, "I don't read goblin, but the Falcon's have some good code breakers. Give it to Shaester during your report and she'll get it translated as quickly as can be."

Jötunn
2014-08-27, 07:31 AM
"We definitely met something out of the ordinary today. And what's worse, it said we would meet again if we translated that note. I get the feeling that if we translate that note, we're going to have to follow it up.

Shem shudders from the tip of his toes to the tallest tip of hair.

"As for that pearl, you're more than welcome to it. I'd take my share of gold over that thing any time of year.

Illven
2014-08-27, 07:53 AM
She also said for me to study the abyss, to qualify myself to answer difficult moral questions. Mellia also stated.

So yeah, that girl is probably sounding like a demon. I'll brush up on it, when I get to the next library. She states, thinking hard.

And yeah, I can't use the pearl. She says as a clear afterthought.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-27, 09:24 AM
The exhausted Falcons are invited to stay the night at the inn. Your dreams are filled with images from the day -- twisted goblins and the mysterious girl.

When morning comes, the town is trying to get back to normal. Your three superiors are waiting outside, and Kiki is spreading silver dust and holy water in a wide circle about where the chalk circle was yesterday. She wordlessly beckons you into the circle and uses the now sanctified area to cleanse your vile wounds and heal them. Relief flows through your body as the itchy, cold violations close and vanish, leaving only thin, purple scars.

Seven Thousand has arrested the bad doctor, and leads him in handcuffs to Ironwall to face justice for his actions. The nine of you leave Onionseed together.

On the road, you reflect upon your mission, and realize that you saved dozens of lives yesterday. Though the village will undoubtedly never be the same, you are confident that life will go on.

Without event, you arrive back at Ironwall, where the group disperses. Seven Thousand takes Geoffry to the guard, Kiki wordlessly departs, and Cestrasza continues to jabber on even if no one is listening. When you make your way to the Shaester's Falcon compound, you are greeted with warmth by your compatriots. It seems that being bloodied has raised your status among your fellow mercenaries, and though you are still among the most junior members, you feel more like members than when you left.

Shaester meets you to discuss the mission in her office, as is customary.

"That was excellent work for your first mission," the old dwarven woman says proudly, stroking her dark mustaches. "I knew I wasn't wrong about you. As promised, here is your share of the reward." A very bulky sack of pure gold coins is brought out with a solid 'ka-chink' and placed on the table. "Get some rest and stay sharp. We'll work on translating that note you found. Do you have anything to add?"

It is up to Bliss, the only arcane caster, if she wants to sell the Pearl or not. Cestrasza said she'd buy it for 500 gp. (otherwise you can sell it for 333 gp in Ironwall)

In case you forgot, the reward for successful completion of the mission is 320 gp for the party.

Otherwise, you are all free to take some down time in town. You may sell any unwanted items for 1/3 cost here in Ironwall, and any mundane or magical item worth 1,000 gp or less is available in the myriad shops you have access to. Let me know if you want to purchase anything.
The Crystal of Life Drinking can be socketed into any Masterwork of better weapon if you want to use it. It will sell for 125 gp if you don't want it.

It is time to level up to Level 2! Work on your sheets and if you could give me a quick lowdown of what's changed, I'd appreciate it.

Illven
2014-08-27, 09:54 AM
Have you been briefed on the demoness girl we found? Mellia asked putting her fingertips together.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-27, 01:44 PM
Aiden...made the very likely mistake of continuing to listen politely to Cestrasza for...quite a bit longer than was strictly necessary. After finding no opening in the kobold's discourse to even try to slip in some words of leavetaking, and determining in was very possible the kobold was not even technically aware of his presence, he finally discovered the limits of his own patience and slipped away. He mentally thanked the Cestrasza for teaching him something new about himself.

He was quiet through the briefing, his responses generally being limited to face and head movements, and simply shook his head at Shaester's last question.

When the debriefing was finished, unless one of the others had some other suggestion, he'd return to his simple room to go about his training and meditations.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-28, 12:42 AM
"Why don't you tell me in your own words, Mellia," Shaester responds to Mellia's question.

Illven
2014-08-28, 06:37 AM
Well. She spoke to us about questions of morality. Then why I was hesitant to answer she suggested I read up on the abyss more. When she vanished away, the rain of blood disappeared. Mellia explained.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-28, 11:49 AM
"Unsettling," Shaester responds, clearing wracking her brain trying to piece together what she knows of this entity. "We'll proceed with caution from here -- if it's trying to lure you into a trap with this encrypted note, the Falcons won't stand for it."

You have a week of downtime as the note is researched, decrypted, and discussed by your superiors. If you have anything to accomplish, like a week of smithing or research, you may do so. If you don't have anything in particular to do, just let me know you are passing the time.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-28, 12:09 PM
With the time to spare, Aiden availed himself of the library, consulting references to blood magic and enchanting, seeking some information on whatever the goblins had been doing to, as best he could figure, enchant the Pearl. He kept an eye out for references to the exact chants they were speaking as well.

Illven
2014-08-28, 12:12 PM
Mellia is studying in the library about abyssal information.

bekeleven
2014-08-28, 07:42 PM
Bliss looks for a service to wire 50GP back to Cliffswatch.

If you'd like a gather information check, [roll0]

NotScaryBats
2014-08-29, 10:22 PM
AIDEN
Getting to the library is simple enough, but researching the vile acts he witnessed at Onionseed proves difficult. A woman wearing a black robe approaches him. She is a tall, willowy human with long fingers and a hooked nose. "You are looking for this information for purely academic reasons, yes? It is a difficult subject to research because it is strictly forbidden! The theory is that creating a magical item properly uses a magician's personal life force and energy. An evil crafter can theoretically use the life force of unwilling subjects through grisly torture and ceremonial sacrifice." She taps her large nose and eyes Aiden in a curious manner.

MELLIA
At the library, Mellia finds two books on the subject of the Abyss: The Gospel of the Pantheon, the religious text of the pantheon of gods that rule all creation, and The Black Scrolls of Ahm Abridged Version.

The two tell a very different story. The Gospel says that the gods created everything, including Baator and the Abyss (as places to send souls in need of punishment). These planes are ruled over by the civilized devils and the frothing, wild demons, respectively. The Scrolls suggest that in the beginning, there was nothing but the Abyss. It is from this cauldron of cosmic chaos that everything sprang, including the gods. The editor of the book calls this position reprehensible, citing that nothing is powerful enough to create the gods. The Scrolls go on to say that the ancient Obyriths, or True Demons are beings of pure chaos, and are not inherently evil, just like the plane they hail from. Naturally, the editor takes issue with this point as well, citing that all demons are irrevocably evil and incapable of higher thought.

BLISS
Bliss is able to find a place to wire money. The woman helping her smiles and says, "You got ah lovah ovah theah in Cliffport, hun?"

bekeleven
2014-08-29, 10:43 PM
Bliss shakes her head. "Family."

She adds a note:
Headman Quanda -

All is fine. In Ironwall protecting people. More to come. Please tell da and little Kibwe.

-Bliss

Illven
2014-08-29, 11:01 PM
Mellia thinks to herself. The original copy of the Black scrolls might be a valuable find. The abridged version's editor clearly needs to brush up on his or her demonic knowledge. Demons are not good, but many are on par, or smarter then ordinary humans. Even if few choose to use it to plan.

Jötunn
2014-08-29, 11:30 PM
Shem spends his week of downtime sparring with other Falcons. He'd like to get to know other people in the mercenary band, and also get some tips from more experienced fighters. He doesn't show off his magical powers unless he meets someone with similar abilities or who might know something about them, however.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-30, 12:49 AM
Shem is exposed to dozens of different fighting styles, many as unusual as his own. Here in Ironwall, and especially in the Falcons' training rooms, eclectic teaching styles have given rise to people who blend magic with steel, bizarre double-sided weapon users, unarmed combatants, and those who modify their own body to belch flame and grow pseudopods.

Just as every race is welcome among the mercenaries, no one judges Shem poorly for his Maledictions, should he choose to unveil them.

There are of course many fighters more skilled than the halfling, but he has the potential to some day be among the best in the company.

Batpope Scott
2014-08-30, 03:44 AM
Boli spends his time in and out of the tavern, spending his time carousing or sparring along with the other falcons. Sometimes doing both at the same time.

He spends a little time at the library, brushing up on the basics of the planes as it was a subject he'd previously been uninterested and knew little about.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-30, 03:59 AM
"Academic, yes. My team and I recently encountered individuals making use of this form of magic. I thought it prudent to conduct research into what other capabilities they might possess. They already surprised us with injuries that resisted healing. Are there any non-restricted materials offering a descriptive overview of such magic?"

NotScaryBats
2014-08-30, 09:48 AM
AIDEN
The woman looks at you for a long time, her weird gaze unblinking and her head cocked to one side. Then, she leads you to a door under lock and key. Here, people can review forbidden texts. She takes you to a well-lit table among the deep darkness of this silent and impressive room and piles three books upon it: a thin tome bound in very smooth flesh called Blood Rituals of Khorne, a scholarly looking text named Pain as Fuel, and a rolled parchment The Shattered Gate.

The first describes in lurid detail the hows of making blood sacrifices to Khorne, the god of violence and blood. Rituals both alike and dislike the one you saw the goblins performing are included in this book, which you note is most like a cookbook in that it simply explains each ritual with diagrams and disturbingly descriptive text. The second book is the opposite, and seems to be where the woman you talked to got her material from. It explains that since all life is intrinsically connected to divinity, from which it sprang, the act of ending a life offers one a brief window in which to utilize the released spark that occurs when death sets in. It also controversially explains that adventurers naturally do this, which is how they grow so potent in power so quickly -- they harvest the life force of the increasingly powerful foes they kill and defeat. The final piece of parchment looks to be a folk tale. It explains that there is a gateway separating the Prime Material Plane from the Outer Planes. Put there by the Pantheon, this gate protects the world from extraplanar influence like marauding demons and oppressive angels. It was created using the souls of all the sinners who made pacts with forbidden forces at the dawn of the world, and serves as a warning to mortals not to dabble with forces beyond their understanding. You've never heard this folk tale before, and the parchment looks to be quite old.

Suddenly, the door opens and a man with spectacles and a fine suit comes rushing in. "Who are you and why are you among the Forbidden Texts?" He demands angrily. Your guide is nowhere to be found.

BOLI
Boli's sparring goes just as well as Shems. The scholarly dwarf's research takes him to studying the planes. There are four Superplanes connected to the Prime, which correspond to an Ethos, an Element, and a Cardinal Direction. It is said that an intrepid traveler can literally pass into the Superplanes on foot, by walking solely in one direction. This has never been done that you know of, however. Nonetheless, in the four poles are actual countries which can be visited, though they are strange lands, foreign to a denizen of Ironwall.

To the North, the Plane of Angels and Ice is known as Celestia. Here, Law is absolute and unmoving, just like the frozen castles the angels live in. There is a permanent settlement called Mount Celestia here on the Prime, far far to the north and nestled among icy mountains.

To the South, the Plane of Demons and Water is known as the Abyss. Here, Chaos rules and everything is fluid as the waters that swirl about. There are dozens of temporary settlements among islands and beneath the waves, with ever-changing names. Far to the south you will find tropical archipelagos peopled by all manner of pirates and sea creatures, living in lawlessness and freedom.

To the East, the Plane of Eladrin and Wind is known as Arborea. Here, Chaos rules and everything is free as the winds that blow over the desert sands. There is a traveling tent city called The Glade that moves about the searing desert sands. All are free and respected here.

To the West, the Plane of Devils and Stone is known as Baator. Here, Law is absolute and unmoving, just like the rigid tunnels and black citadels the devils call home. There is an enormous underground metropolis called Avernus far to the west and through labyrinthine caverns.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-30, 01:07 PM
Aiden gave a soft sigh. He wasn't used to the idea of forbidden knowledge. His people tended to assume that if information was dangerous, the person researching it would have the wisdom not to use it. But perhaps that was a bit naive. "My name is Aiden Breezerunner, I am a member of the Falcons. I am researching some corrupt magic that was recently put to use by some enemies we defeated. I was let in by...well, by a tall human woman in a black robe. I didn't get her name. What is yours, by the way?" Hey, no sense making the same gaffe twice, he figured.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-31, 09:55 AM
The librarian rants. "I'm Herald, the head librarian here. I swear, you mercs are all the same -- think you can just walk in through locks and warning signs -- the rules don't apply to you, do they? When I was your age I heeded the rules and ..." he continues for some time.

SHAESTER'S FALCONS

After the week of training, rest, and research, the group is told that the letter has been translated. You meet with Shaester in her office, with an old, scholarly looking elf sitting next to the mercenary company leader. The elf is clearly very old, and though her face has kept the timeless youth of her race, her body has an almost ethereal and otherworldly quality. Her loose-fitting gray robes further cement the impression that she will blow away in a gust of wind.

"According to my translations..." the elven woman begins in a slow monotone, "the note was meant for a Griknik -- Skullchewer in the Goblin tongue -- and are orders coming from a superior officer. It reads:

"Grub et Khorne Grik et Griknoth! Fulla the necromancer is desecrating the tomb of Grubsnath. Bring the Blood Mirror to her and prepare to open the Gate."

Now, the first line is a salutation to Khorne, god of blood and violence. Now, Khorne is not a true God of the Pantheon, I will remind you, but many worship him as one. The salutation means 'Blood for the Blood God (that's Khorne) and Skulls for the Skull Throne (which is where he sits). We did some research on 'Fulla the necromancer' and came up with nothing. Surely, this is either an unknown apprentice, or a pseudonym (a nickname, if you prefer). The tomb of Grubsnath (Grub is 'blood' and snath lacks a proper Common translation but I liken it to 'author' and my full translation of the name is 'One who writes with (or using) blood') anyway, the goblin in question was a very potent wizard, who hid his tomb quite well. To the best of our knowledge it has not been tampered with since the man died some two hundred years ago. A Blood Mirror is a magical item created to house the souls of innocents, particularly children. It is like a battery for evil blood magic rituals. The word they use for 'Gate' is archaic and was a particularly difficult translation to come up with, because it just is not in the lexicon anymore. I would almost call it more a 'portal' than a gate."

The elf's lecture appears to be over. Do you have any questions about the translation before Shaester moves on?

Illven
2014-08-31, 10:47 AM
Mellia raises her hand.

I believe we claimed a strange mirror during the battle. She states. Could this be the blood mirror? If she's holding the mirror, she'll take it out of her bag.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-08-31, 11:14 AM
At first, Aiden was about to argue, reiterating that he had been allowed in by another librarian. As the man kept talking, though, Aiden's defensiveness gave way to some uncertainty. At about the point where the librarian's speech could be fairly termed a "ramble", he had settled in to just listening blankly with elven patience. When he finally stopped speaking, Aiden thanked him for his time, bid him good day, and left.

--

"My research turned up a tale - although I cannot determine its veracity - of a gateway meant to separate the Material from the Outer Planes. If it has credence, it may be that the goblins are seeking to summon some extraplanar being. Or perhaps many."

NotScaryBats
2014-08-31, 09:19 PM
The elf squints and adjusts her spectacles. "Perhaps it is capable of being enchanted as a Blood Mirror. If my reading of your mission report is correct, I would hypothesize that you stopped the goblins from enchanting it as such.

"If there is such a thing, it would be in our best interests to prevent its opening. Shaester, I advise you send these young adventurers to stop whatever plot this 'Fulla the necromancer' is hatching."

Shaester, for her part, has been quietly listening to you all speak. When Celeste addresses her, the old dwarf purses her lips. "Very well. Do you accept this mission to investigate and put a stop to whatever the goblins are planning?

Illven
2014-08-31, 11:00 PM
I would still feel safe leaving the mirror here, while we investigate the tomb of Grubsnath. Mellia stated.

Assuming my companions also agree to investigate it. She adds on further thought.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-31, 11:17 PM
"Yes, that seems wise; best not deliver their mirror straight to them."

Quellian-dyrae
2014-09-01, 01:59 AM
Aiden simply nodded. Anyone who practiced this sort of magic had to be stopped. "That is wise," he agreed in regards to the mirror.

bekeleven
2014-09-01, 06:44 AM
Bliss purses her lips. "Please, Ma'am, state our mission exactly."

Jötunn
2014-09-01, 08:25 AM
Shem mulls over the meaning of the translation of the note, but when the group is asked to take on the mission he leans forward, eyes gleaming.

"I'm in."

NotScaryBats
2014-09-01, 08:43 AM
"Very good. There is no contract for this mission, so use your discretion in the execution of your tasks. You are to investigate the Tomb of Grubsnath and put a stop to the rituals of Fulla the necromancer. If this is part of something bigger, then find whatever evidence you can to show how expansive this group is." Shaester grimaces and adds "I find it hard to believe this is all the work of a few mere goblins."

Celeste adds nothing, and continues to sit in tranquil silence.

The mercenary commander reaches behind her desk and brings forth two more potions of healing. She passes them across the desk. "Make me proud, team," she says simply.

Illven
2014-09-01, 10:28 AM
Mellia bows in her seat as the commander passes the potions. Thank you, commander. And we will make you proud. She states, as she gets up to leave.

Batpope Scott
2014-09-01, 11:39 AM
Boli listens quietly, nodding his assent at the mission request. "If'n we do find this Fulla, we'll hafta make sure he ain't in a position to weave his magics. That dinnae sound easy..."

He follows Mellia, mumbling to himself about dark magic and the sorry affair that this all is.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-09-01, 12:09 PM
Aiden once more gives only a determined nod, and stands to follow the rest of the others.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-01, 11:48 PM
The Tomb of Grubsnath is approximately two days' travel to the east.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n78/genkiloli/TOMBOFGRUBSNATH.jpg

You can either go straight to the tomb in 1.5 days, or head to the nearest town of Fairport in 1.5 days. This is travel by foot.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-03, 12:08 AM
The group decides to move out at once and head straight for the tomb. Mellia leaves the mirror with Shaester and Celeste, and the Falcons move out.

The day is overcast and gloomy as you head out of Ironwall and along the road connecting Fairport and the mercenary city. Most trade traffic takes the river out of Ironwall and a ship up the coast to reach Fairport, so the land route is ill-used. You pass a small handful of other travelers along the way, but hear nothing of trouble in the seaside city or the surrounding lands.

As dusk draws nearer, you begin to see commonly used campgrounds along the side of the road. Since this is the general halfway point between the two cities, it seems many travelers have walked this route before you.

There is always the possibility of bandits in the space between cities, and you take turns with the watch during your first night out as a team. Luckily, the night passes smoothly and without extraordinary event.

-----

Dawn the next day comes late, and the brooding clouds overhead have grown thicker. From here, your path takes you off the well-worn trade road and the going is not only more difficult, but also more dangerous. There are no major settlements in the wide, craggy foothills to the north of Fairport, so the path is in poor repair and is never patrolled.

Your map tells you that the tomb you seek is carved into the side of a small valley that is almost invisible until you are upon it. According to your research, the wizard Grubsnath was a very jealous and covetous goblin, and sealed all of its material possessions with it in the tomb. Because of this, the tomb has been sought after, but apparently its incredibly magical protections have never been breached.

After about a half day's grueling travel on rough and uneven footing, you see a patch of black clouds that stand out against even the darkened clouds of the afternoon sky. This patch alone is pouring down rain on what turns out to be a deep valley cut into the surrounding crags. Were it not for the signalling rain, you may have walked right past the valley without even noticing it.

You will have to move single file into the claustrophobic valley that ends in a six foot diameter circular disc that must serve as the door to the tomb.

What is your marching order? How do you approach the door?

bekeleven
2014-09-03, 12:56 AM
Bliss volunteers to knock on the door and see who's inside.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-09-03, 01:01 AM
Aiden gave a slender grin at the offer. "It would, I think, be preferable to approach in a more cautious manner," he said gently, but with some amusement.

Illven
2014-09-03, 07:55 AM
Yeah, let's not let the Necromancer know we're here to save the day. Mellia said in agreement. Focusing she starts to look at the door with magic. Let me see if there's a magic trap on the door. She mutters concentrating.

Invoking Magic insight. If the door has a magic trap (or any magic) I should pick it up.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-03, 09:05 AM
Mellia's magical sight reveals a magical trap upon the door. With a word of warning, Shem moves towards the door to search for the trigger mechanism and disable it.

Make a Disable Device check, plus any other precautions you'd like to make.

Batpope Scott
2014-09-03, 06:00 PM
Boli begins to stretch and roll his shoulders as he stands waiting, unhooking his axe from his belt. He gives a sigh as he thinks to himself This necromancer... he can't be the only caster around. Ah'll have ta stay on my toes.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-06, 09:37 AM
A moment stretches and seems to last for days as Shem makes his way up to the door and quietly begins to work on disarming the trap on it. Clearly, this is a difficult task, and after three minutes and some poking and prodding, a lightning bolt is discharged from the disc-shaped door that arcs through the entire valley, hitting the party of mercenaries with electrical energy.

I rolled for you, but since you got an 8 you accidentally activated the trap.
Make a DC 16 Reflex save for half damage, or take 14 damage from the lighting bolt trap. It hits everyone in a line from the door, which is everyone in the party.

Illven
2014-09-06, 10:09 AM
That seems a little extreme. If I fail my save, I'm dying.

Reflex [roll0]

Mellia shocked as the trap lets loose a electrical discharge, fails to even try to move out of the way. Shrieking, she collapses instantly to the ground, her breath rough.

Quellian-dyrae
2014-09-06, 12:20 PM
For all his agility, there is just no room for Aiden to dodge the bolt in the narrow corridor. It catches him solidly and he staggers against the wall, just barely clinging to consciousness by sheer force of will. He began breathing slowly, rhythmically, letting the flow of his chi run through him and soothe some of his injuries. Enough to quell the pain, anyway, so he could focus on doing what he could for his friends.

Aiden goes to 0 and is Disabled. He'll use the single standard action he can take to use Chi Healing on himself for 6.

Current Hit Points: 6/14.
Chi Healing: 26/32.

bekeleven
2014-09-06, 12:37 PM
Bliss grits her teeth as a shock passes through her, then moves to help the others.

We were literally standing behind him in single file as he worked on the trap for 3 minutes? Why would we even leave the treeline? :smallconfused:
[roll0]

Batpope Scott
2014-09-06, 04:18 PM
Boli tries his best to shunt himself over to one side, shrugging off some of the shock in the process. "Tha' coulda gone better."