PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What are gestalt and tristalt?

somethingrandom
2014-08-12, 01:31 PM
A number of pathfinder games in the recruitment thread have given the option of being a gestalt or tristalt character but I have only heard of gestalt in relation to D&d 3.5 and I had never heard of tristalt.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-08-12, 01:35 PM
Gestalt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm) is a variant rule from Unearthed Arcana, where characters are built using a combination of two classes: you get both sets of class features, or the better progression for shared features (including things like BAB and saves). It's usually indicated with two slashes, so a gestalt fighter-wizard would be written as "fighter//wizard." (And at 5th level, would have a +5 BAB, 5d10 HD, 3rd level spells, and so on). It would work exactly the same in pathfinder, as far as I know.

Tristalt would be the same thing, but combining three classes and taking the best progression for shared features.

AmberVael
2014-08-12, 01:35 PM
Gestalt generally isn't an option, its a variant that everyone in a game either uses or does not use. This being said, gestalt essentially is just smashing two classes together every level and getting everything each class gets. Exact rules are here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm) I don't think Pathfinder ever mentions this variant anywhere, but since Pathfinder is basically just 3.5 with some additional content and minor changes, gestalt works exactly the same with it as it would with regular 3.5.

Tristalt happens when you have wacky people who think two classes isn't enough, and decide you get three classes instead. Hence the horribly mangled word "tristalt."

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 01:37 PM
Gestalt is this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm)

You progress 2 classes in parallel, taking the best elements from both.

Tristalt is the same with 3 classes.

Where did you see a PF Tristalt recruiting? Because if it's a play by post, I want to apply.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-12, 01:39 PM
Tristalt is also my favorite kind of whole-wheat snack cracker. wait, that isn't right...

On-topic, a gestalt character gets stuff from both of their classes, unless they overlap (e.g. base attack bonus, skill points, saving throws), in which case they get the better of the two. I hadn't heard of tristalt before this thread, though; is it in some weird sourcebook somewhere or is it a homebrew thing?

maximus25
2014-08-12, 01:41 PM
Has anyone ever actually played in a tristalt game?

Seems like it would get super complicated super fast.

AmberVael
2014-08-12, 01:42 PM
Pretty sure tristalt is just a homebrew idea. Admittedly one I see around here a lot at this point.

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 01:49 PM
Has anyone ever actually played in a tristalt game?

Seems like it would get super complicated super fast.

I applied for one once, but didn't get in. Half Celestial Azurin. Starting level was 6, so I went LA 4/Incarnate 2//TG Oskar Monk 6//TG Oskar Paladin 6. Staff wielding (custom Incarnate Weapon) warrior of justice, blind from birth, saw using a Blindsight ability from the Monk fix.

maximus25
2014-08-12, 01:55 PM
I applied for one once, but didn't get in. Half Celestial Azurin. Starting level was 6, so I went LA 4/Incarnate 2//TG Oskar Monk 6//TG Oskar Paladin 6. Staff wielding (custom Incarnate Weapon) warrior of justice, blind from birth, saw using a Blindsight ability from the Monk fix.

That sounds pretty cool.

I don't even know where I'd start building that kind of character.

Ravens_cry
2014-08-12, 02:02 PM
I'd love to play gestalt Pathfinder. A Ninja//Paladin with a DM who was OK with sneaky, scary, Paladin (think Batman) would be a lot of fun I think.

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 02:03 PM
That sounds pretty cool.

I don't even know where I'd start building that kind of character.

You build for a theme. IIRC, the original poster was a Fey Warlock//Binder//Empyrial (third party class that lets you emulate a fey), playing to the role of the mythical Sidhe deal maker.

Rebel7284
2014-08-12, 02:06 PM
I'd love to play gestalt Pathfinder. A Ninja//Paladin with a DM who was OK with sneaky, scary, Paladin (think Batman) would be a lot of fun I think.

Check out Ruby Knight Vindicator. :)

Ravens_cry
2014-08-12, 02:14 PM
Check out Ruby Knight Vindicator. :)
Don't have access to that book, unfortunately. My 3.X collection is pretty limited, though I did get Tome of Magic and PHB2 recently. Plus, that's 3.5. I said gestalt Pathfinder.

somethingrandom
2014-08-12, 03:35 PM
Gestalt is this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm)

You progress 2 classes in parallel, taking the best elements from both.

Tristalt is the same with 3 classes.

Where did you see a PF Tristalt recruiting? Because if it's a play by post, I want to apply.

Most of the pathfinder games in the recruitment section of pbp on these forum seam to allow player to choose between a single classed character that uses the fast xp track, a Gestalt character that uses the medium speed xp track or a Tristalt that uses the slow track. I could be wrong but this sounds terrible from a balance perspective.

Vhaidara
2014-08-12, 03:38 PM
Most of the pathfinder games in the recruitment section of pbp on these forum seam to allow player to choose between a single classed character that uses the fast xp track, a Gestalt character that uses the medium speed xp track or a Tristalt that uses the slow track. I could be wrong but this sounds terrible from a balance perspective.

Really? I only saw that once.

It's not actually that bad. Casters will take the single class and be normal, and mundanes, while they will be a level or two behind, will be able to pick up a massive amount of ability synergies.

Bluydee
2014-08-12, 05:10 PM
I actually did get in, though I had to drop. Really wasn't much different than normal DnD.