PDA

View Full Version : Trying to survive the Hollow Feast

Effero
2014-08-12, 04:24 PM
My DM has put my character in a position where he could be taking part in the Hollow Feast. This ritual includes: being affixed, nude, to a iron frame by hooks and chains until making a DC 30 Charisma check; receiving no food and and once a day getting only a few sips of water while affixed; every morning the hooks and chains are tightened inflicting 2d6 damage; once the saving throw is made then the final segment is receiving acid kisses from a half-demon taking 1d6 per day I was hanging.

I am a Unholy Scion Human Beguiler 2 / Chameleon 2. I was able to meet the requirements for Chameleon with a series of well argued points to a drunk DM, which could be why I'm in this position now, but the DM is fair and will go with the dice, not fudging rolls to kill me. Are there any ways to prepare for this that will help me survive?

StoneCipher
2014-08-12, 04:47 PM
How much time and resources do you have before you have to do this?

Effero
2014-08-12, 05:02 PM
How much time and resources do you have before you have to do this?

About 9,000 gold in liquid assets and one month downtime.

EDIT: Also have one changeable feat from Chameleon.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-12, 05:29 PM
1. What's your current Charisma modifier and hit point total?

2. How nude is "nude?" E.g.- Is jewelry alright; can you be holding things in your hands; you technically aren't "wearing" an Ioun Stone, what's the likely reaction to pointing that out?

3. What's in this for you if you survive, and/or are you being forced into it?

Flickerdart
2014-08-12, 05:41 PM
It seems that the best thing to do is try and pump CHA checks - the non-demon damage is negligible if you have Fast Healing or something. Get Surge of Fortune, Eagle's Splendor and Devil's Ego persisted on yourself (using Ocular Spell to qualify them). That gives you +4 on the check and a guaranteed 20. The remaining 6 is up to you.

If it helps, you can always get Imbued with Spell Ability for a 3rd level spell (that's been Sanctum Spelled down to 2nd level). So you can have an ace in the hole for another bonus.

Know(Nothing)
2014-08-12, 06:10 PM
I think there are rules in PHB 2 that detail rebuilding an existing character. I believe it takes two weeks in-game time, and it will let you re-sort your skills and feats and stuff. This might help you pump the right areas for the task, if you don't already have them maxed.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-12, 06:18 PM
It seems that the best thing to do is try and pump CHA checks - the non-demon damage is negligible if you have Fast Healing or something. Get Surge of Fortune, Eagle's Splendor and Devil's Ego persisted on yourself (using Ocular Spell to qualify them). That gives you +4 on the check and a guaranteed 20. The remaining 6 is up to you.

If it helps, you can always get Imbued with Spell Ability for a 3rd level spell (that's been Sanctum Spelled down to 2nd level). So you can have an ace in the hole for another bonus.

Effero's playing an Unholy Scion and so has DR 5/good or magic, acid resistance 5, and fast healing 4, so if the acid-smooch damage is spaced out at all then starvation and thirst are the only concerns.

Flickerdart
2014-08-12, 06:24 PM
Effero's playing an Unholy Scion and so has DR 5/good or magic, acid resistance 5, and fast healing 4, so if the acid-smooch damage is spaced out at all then starvation and thirst are the only concerns.
From the OP's description, the acid damage is all in one go, which is what makes it concerning. Best to get the whole thing over with as quickly as possible, I say.

bjoern
2014-08-12, 06:26 PM

Ring of sustenance. If your afraid of having it taken away, swallow it. If the DM won't let that count as being worn, then get a custom item with the same effect and ingest that. Or implant it under your skin or some thing.

Know(Nothing)
2014-08-12, 06:41 PM
Or Shrink Item on a bunch of foods and keep them tucked under your tongue/in your cheek.

Effero
2014-08-12, 07:03 PM
1. What's your current Charisma modifier and hit point total?

2. How nude is "nude?" E.g.- Is jewelry alright; can you be holding things in your hands; you technically aren't "wearing" an Ioun Stone, what's the likely reaction to pointing that out?

3. What's in this for you if you survive, and/or are you being forced into it?

1. My Charisma mod is +7 and HP is 28 with no bonuses from equipment

2. As far as I know the DM will rule that if it is "equipment" and "seen equipped" than it is being worn.

3. If I survive then I will have the option to take the Thrall of Graz'zt PrC. (Not great but it is in character)

From the OP's description, the acid damage is all in one go, which is what makes it concerning. Best to get the whole thing over with as quickly as possible, I say.

Each kiss does 1d6 and it is one after another until I have taken 1 kiss for every day.

Food is a concern but so far I have never had to delve into starvation mechanics so I really don't know much about it (will be check on it shortly). About Shrink Item, does 1 day's rations still count as 1 day's rations while shrunk?

StoneCipher
2014-08-12, 09:29 PM
Just to be clear, you are trying to SURVIVE and not otherwise escape, correct?

Bronk
2014-08-12, 09:45 PM
I've never heard of this before... what is it from?

Effero
2014-08-12, 10:34 PM
Just to be clear, you are trying to SURVIVE and not otherwise escape, correct?

That is correct, though it seems easier than I expected since the playground pointed a few things out that I overlooked.

I've never heard of this before... what is it from?

It is from Dragon #360, Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Graz'zt. It details a ritual that Graz'zt uses to initiate his thralls, or punish those that displease him.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-13, 12:34 AM
Food is a concern but so far I have never had to delve into starvation mechanics so I really don't know much about it (will be check on it shortly).

Thought: Do you have to be conscious to make the Charisma check each day? Because technically starvation and thirst only ever cause nonlethal damage.