PDA

View Full Version : I want to be...a tree

JellyPooga
2007-03-05, 08:09 PM
Well, maybe just for a few years...

Anyway, the point of this thread is a fairly simple one. I want to make a character that is a shapeshifter (with little to no spellcasting preferably)

However, though I have Complete Warrior (for Natures Warrior and Warshaper), Complete Adventurer (for MoMF and some Wild Feats) and Complete Divine (for Wild Feats), I don't have the PHBII.

I have been led to believe that the PHBII has a Druid variant based on Shapeshifting, but have no idea quite how it is different.

Could someone give me the gist of the Shifter varient (or whatever it's called) please? (I don't want anyone to break liscensing or anything, I just want the gist of it)

TheOOB
2007-03-05, 08:22 PM
The shapeshift varient gives up animal compainion and wild shape for the unlimited ability to shift into various predefined forms. The two big changes is that the forms improve, not replace your stats(acually they just improve str), and you get a limited selection of forms, not any form from any book you have.

EDIT: There is a "Forest Avenger" form that can be tree-like :P

Aximili
2007-03-05, 08:33 PM
And it's a swift action.
But it doesn't work with Wild Feats.

TheOOB
2007-03-05, 08:41 PM
And, key point, you can't cast spells while shifted.

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-05, 09:05 PM
Well, you could also just use a regular druid, with regular druid Wildshaping, and simply build your character with wisdom 12. That takes care of the "little to no spellcasting" requirement nicely.

Aximili
2007-03-05, 09:14 PM
If you're not going for spells use the wildshaping Ranger (Unearthed Arcana). At least you get full BAB, and more skills.

PinkysBrain
2007-03-05, 09:17 PM
Spiderbrigade, depending on the group you are playing with that could be a very bad idea.

The only plant only wildshaper is the landforged walker from secrets of xendrik. With tbe books you have though your only options are druid 5/MoMF 7 or druid 12 ... the PHB2 variant is not useful, you can't turn into a tree with it.

Aximili
2007-03-05, 09:31 PM
Neither can the druid. It has to be a plant creature.

Ramza00
2007-03-05, 09:35 PM
Ranger 5/Master of Many Forms 10/Warshaper 5
Ranger using this variant
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger

JellyPooga
2007-03-05, 09:42 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll probably just go with a Druid 5 and take it from there. Although the unlimited shapeshift thing is tempting, I'd prefer to be able to take on a wide selection of animal forms. MoMF should take care of frequency (combined with the Halfling Druid substitution level at 5th).

In regards to spellcasting, I doubt s/he'll be getting any spells over 3rd level anyway (and that only if I take Nature's Warrior, otherwise its' 2nd lvl tops) and DC isn't a problem as the only spellcasting I really want is stuff like Goodberry and Vigour (from Complete Divine).

Oh, one other thing, does anyone know of any pre-epic way of getting all the abilities of a creature you wildshape into? (I know you can get all extraordinary features from MoMF, but I haven't seen anything pre-epic to grant Sp or Su abilities)

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-05, 10:11 PM
Spiderbrigade, depending on the group you are playing with that could be a very bad idea.What, because you've intentionelly gimped yourself? How could that possibly be bad :smallbiggrin:

I mean, sure, if you're in a group with two wizards and Clericzilla, you're not going to contribute. But I think in a group with, say, a fighter, a bard, and a ranger, your wildshape and animal companion, plus some selected low-level spells, will still be pretty good.

Isn't that what people say about the Druid, anyway, that it can be a better fighter than the fighter...AND it gets spells? Drop out the spells, you're still not bad.

TheOOB
2007-03-05, 10:56 PM
It can become better then a fighter because of the spells

Kantolin
2007-03-05, 11:18 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/treeShape.htm

Wisdom 12 is the way to go. ^_^ Now you're tree!

Alternately, you could play a normal wizard and simply select spells that are not too overt. Goodberry, Pace without trace, Detects, endure elements, general buffs, Animal messenger, possibly snare, ... none of those are overtly 'magic' and thus may fit your theme just as a druid.

Heck, plant growth could also fit into that.

Ramza00
2007-03-05, 11:24 PM
It can become better then a fighter because of the spells
Wildshape is still good and can make a wildshaper better than a fighter. Look at the wartroll form it can assume at lvl 12. Str 31, Dex 16, Con 29. Dr 5/Adamatine, Regeneration 9, Dazing Blow (Fort Save of 25 after attack or be dazed). Plus you can still wear magic items.

Ranger 5/Master of Many Forms 7 does it.

Wippit Guud
2007-03-05, 11:37 PM
If you can use 3.0 stuff, Masters of the Wild has a Verdant Lord... ranger than eventually becomes a treant.

Ramza00
2007-03-05, 11:38 PM
There is also a 3.0 prc in Faiths and Panetheons that became more "treant like" like forest lord or something.

Wippit Guud
2007-03-05, 11:43 PM
Close... Forest Master

Variable Arcana
2007-03-06, 11:22 PM
If your goal is to be a tree, why not just play a Treant?

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-07, 12:57 AM
just buy some potions of tree shape and be a fighter