PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] New feat - PEACH

Thurbane
2014-08-12, 10:15 PM
HUMANOID HERITAGE [RACIAL]
Prerequisite: Monstrous humanoid
You are treated as a humanoid for the purpose of adjudicating all effects. Your type (and subtype, if applicable) does not change, but you can be affected by spells such as Charm Person or Enlarge Person. You also count as humanoid for feat and prestige class requirements, and to determine if you qualify for templates.
Special: This feat may only be taken at 1st level.

So, does this feat seem reasonable? Is there any wording I need to change? Does it open up horrible game breaking consequences I haven't considered?

Cheers - T

Cidolfas
2014-08-14, 10:28 PM
If anything, I would say it's a bit limited given that it is only available at 1st level and really doesn't change anything about your character aside from determining what you are affected by and what PrC's you can take. This can matter, but on the flip side it could also be totally inconsequential because most classes don't exactly require the character to be just a humanoid. If there is a race requirement, it typically demands a certain one, which as written this feat doesn't necessarily account for (it could if you interpreted it very liberally).

Feats are valuable, you only get six or seven through the course of leveling with standard 3.5, maybe nine or ten if you throw in flaws and bonus feats here and there. So for me, I think any feat has to really do something substantial in order to make me actually want to take it. And I don't get that vibe from this. Maybe if it had a more universally applicable benefit tacked on it would be more appealing, but I don't have the slightest idea what could be added that would be both sensible and strong enough to make this feat better than the alternatives that a character could take at level 1.

Glimbur
2014-08-16, 07:41 AM
Maybe some of your human heritage should manifest immediately. It would be a little silly for the feat to grant a free feat, but it might give +4 skill points and +1/level.

Thurbane
2014-08-17, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Stiq
2014-08-18, 03:05 PM
You might consider an effect more among the lines of:

"Whenever you are subjected to an effect that relates to creature type (such as Charm Person) or faced with a creature type-based prerequisite, you may choose to be treated as a Humanoid rather than a Monstrous Humanoid for purposes of resolving the effect or meeting the prerequisite. If you are unconscious, you are considered a Monstrous Humanoid for purposes of creature type-dependent effects."

jiriku
2014-08-20, 01:09 AM
Since in many ways, this is a vulnerability rather than a benefit, I'd say improve it so that you count as either humanoid or monstrous humanoid, whichever would be more advantageous to you. Thus, enlarge person works on you, but not charm person, etc.

jqavins
2014-08-20, 11:54 AM
If anything, I would say it's a bit limited given that it is only available at 1st level and really doesn't change anything about your character aside from determining what you are affected by and what PrC's you can take. This can matter, but on the flip side it could also be totally inconsequential because most classes don't exactly require the character to be just a humanoid.
This looks clearly like something designed to open the gates for a particular build. If you're planning to develop a character in a particular direction that will need this then you take it, but no one else would. And it makes sense to me that it has to be taken ahead of time, at first level, since I guess it represents the result of upbringing in a humanoid family or community, or something like that.

If it represents such an upbringing, it could also cause other people to respond to you more as a humanoid, say halving any Cha penalty the monsterous humanoid race would normally have. "My, my, Constance, have you ever met such a polite and handsome grimlock?"

DracoDei
2014-08-20, 08:32 PM
How many Large or larger monsterous humanoids are there? Because getting up to Huge or larger size seems to be the main application for this.

Thurbane
2014-08-30, 07:39 PM
There are quite a few large + Monstrous Humanoids out there.

But would this make it unbalanced, considering the Psionics lets you do pretty much the exact same thing anyway?