PDA

View Full Version : Cleric spells that should be on the paladin list

maniacalmojo
2014-08-12, 10:49 PM
Trying to create a list of spells that are on the cleric list that actually seem more fitting of a paladin. I have seen them before and it is the reason why many players choose to play a cleric when they want a paladin theme.

bekeleven
2014-08-12, 11:19 PM
It's not really unbalancing to give paladins access to the entire cleric list. Your post implies you may want to remove spells from the cleric list as well, is that correct? Cause clerics have a ton of spells.

T.G. Oskar
2014-08-13, 01:59 AM
For Cleric spells that fit the Paladin theme, I always default to Shield of Faith, because it's such a simple buff they can place on themselves or on others, that it makes perfect sense.

I also like to pad out their offensive capabilities with Searing Light and Holy Smite, but YMMV on that one: the damage is not that great, but it's something (particularly if combined with Battle Blessing, speaking in 3.5 terms). The lack of flight capabilities also makes Air Walk a sensible, if non-sensical, choice (it can be cast on anyone, including the Paladin's special mount; PF has rules specifically to train mounts for Air Walk, whereas 3.5 has intelligent mounts that can probably figure how to walk as such). Also, Freedom of Movement: it's a superb buff, and nearly all 4-level classes except them have it.

However, considering to add the entire Cleric list from 1st level to 4th is no bad idea, really. Take the Cleric spell list as a basis, make wide removals (to be brief, as I don't like to do self-promotion: I worked with removing all Chaotic- and Evil-aligned spells, plus all Necromancy spells and Conjuration spells of the calling/summoning subschools that weren't in the Paladin spell list already), then add all Paladin spells to it. If a spell is in both lists, use the version that appears the earliest. Some great spells might end up being missing (Righteous Might comes to mind, being a superb 5th level spell), so you might want to consider downgrading some spells for earlier access (as a rule of thumb, 5th level spells can be downgraded to 4th level Paladin spells, and subsequent). That should pad the Paladin with lots of useful spells.

Kaeso
2014-08-13, 02:41 AM
If you want to be skeptical, you could say that a cleric with the war domain is a paladin, except better in every way. I tend to see paladin as cleric-light, for those who want to play a holy warrior without wrecking the game.