PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Infinite Skill Cheese?

Solace of Tides
2014-08-12, 11:42 PM
I have seen this mentioned, but have not been successful in my google attempts. If anyone could give my knowledge check a boost on this one, I would greatly appreciate it.

edit: info on other cheese would also be greatly appreciated.

2nd edit: also, is a pure 20 artificer build usually suggested? I was thinking of multi-classing a cleric, but wasn't sure if taking away from artificer levels would be a bad idea.

Promises Kept
2014-08-13, 12:38 AM
The only infinite skill cheese I know of offhand is the Omniscificer, which does use Artificer as originally formulated. See the third post here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=663.0).

Owl Prowler
2014-08-13, 12:45 AM
2nd edit: also, is a pure 20 artificer build usually suggested? I was thinking of multi-classing a cleric, but wasn't sure if taking away from artificer levels would be a bad idea.

I would suggest picking up at least one level of Cleric, along with the Magic domain, so that you can cast any spell off an arcane or divine wand without having to make a UMD check. Given that making those UMD checks can be more difficult/more important early game, I would suggest making your first level Cleric, and then going straight Artificer.

Then again, You basically stop getting class features in Artificer after level 16, so you can really fill those 4 levels with anything you want. Well, 3 levels after the Cleric dip.

Vaz
2014-08-13, 03:38 AM
Do you mean the Omnisicifer?

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=663.0;msg=3639

Aharon
2014-08-13, 04:45 AM
I think there was also an infusion that lets you change the type of a bonus, so you can get all these +x to skill x items and make them dodge instead of enhancement boni. It isn't infinite, but high enough to pass any check, which suffices in PO.

Aquillion
2014-08-13, 05:59 AM
Most of the time, the Omniscifier is more an amusing trick than an actually practical exploit, since you have to set up a very specific situation just to invoke it. This is why its application is generally limited to knowledge checks.

Chronos
2014-08-13, 09:01 AM
IIRC, Item Alteration specifically disallows dodge bonuses, as well as sacred and profane... but there are still a ton of different types of bonuses around, so you're not likely to run out before you reach the total bonus you need. There's still insight, luck, morale, enhancement, competence, circumstance, perfection, alchemical, racial... And that's just limiting to bonus types which canonically can be added to a skill check. Can you then also get a resistance bonus to a skill, or a natural armor bonus? No rule ever says one way or the other.