PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help a DM build a literal banhammer.

Spacy
2014-08-12, 11:47 PM
Hello Playground,

Long time lurker first time poster here trying to build an amusing character for a game I'm setting up. The premise is simple, every time I run a game there is some sorta fun/silly in game effect when players start to drift into metagaming. For the last campaign this took the form of storm clouds appearing over players heads and starting to rain on them, if they persisted it would strike them with lightening for some nasty but non-fatal damage. The in-game explanation was that the god of Continuity was getting pissed at them for doing more damage to his domain, as it was a game based on Chrono Trigger. For this one there will be less direct conversations about time and continuity, so I need to stat something else up.

The idea so far:

All of the PCs and the most powerful of the NPCs can take and buy off up to LA+2.
The Petal is a LA +2 Tiny race with some pretty good stat adjustments, only losing 8 to strength according to this link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?189980-3-5-LA-1-amp-LA-2-Player-Race-List).
The Major Titan Bloodline lets any creature use a Gargantuan Warhammer "without penalty"
A Gargantuan warhammer weighs 40 lbs, meaning that a Mythril Gargantuan warhammer weighs 20 lbs.
20 lbs just so happens to be the maximum amount that Gloves of Storing (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Glove_of_Storing) can store.
Gloves of Storing allow both retrieval and storage as free actions.

What I'd like the Playgrounds help for:

Make the Petal capable of hitting a level 9-12 party with a -4 penalty for non-lethal damage
Make the Petal do enough non-lethal damage to get the attention of a 30+ con barbarian
Make the Petal good enough at hiding that the party has great difficulty finding it.

I'd like this to be done as RAW as possible without too much GM fiat, as it would be unfair to my players to give myself something that they could not create. Additionally I'd like that the petal not have a maximum level of 15 (ignore the LA).

Don't forget to take the 3 required levels for the Titan Bloodline into account:smallwink:

Thank you all in advance for your help:smallcool:!

Kazyan
2014-08-13, 01:34 AM
I had a nice build, but messed up on a prerequisite--A point of BAB got lost somewhere--so here's something more conventional. It's not fully written up, but it's late over here.

Ferocity Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian 1/Overwheming Attack Monk 2/Ranger 9/Titan Bloodline 3

Get a Feycraft Mithral Gargantuan Warhammer with whatever ubercharging enchantments you want. Feycraft lets you treat the one-handed weapon as light, only for the purposes of Weapon Finesse, which means that if you wield it in two hands, it acts like a two-Handed weapon for Power Attack but your still add your enormous Dexterity modifier instead of your piddling Strength. Ferocity Barbarian also increases Dexterity when "raging". Requirement #1: check.

Standard ubercharging techniques go here (they're all over the place). You need OA monk to get prereq-free Improved Bull Rush so you qualify for Shock Trooper; otherwise you just can't meet that STR 13 requirement earlier in the feat chain. Note that Shock Trooper itself does not require STR 13, nor does Leap Attack. Ubercharging does a lot of damage. Requirement #2: Check.

Another item you want is a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. Hiding is suddenly very easy with that; it grants large bonuses to the relevant skills. Ranger is there to get Hide and Move Silently as class skills without losing BAB, by the way. Size category and high Dexterity (Petals get +10 to Dexterity) should do the rest. Requirement #3: Check.

Giddonihah
2014-08-13, 01:42 AM
Why not just use the Merciful enchantment instead of taking the -4 to hit for non-lethal, extra 1d6 damage to boot.

Spacy
2014-08-13, 09:13 AM
I had a nice build, but messed up on a prerequisite--A point of BAB got lost somewhere--so here's something more conventional. It's not fully written up, but it's late over here.

Ferocity Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian 1/Overwheming Attack Monk 2/Ranger 9/Titan Bloodline 3

Get a Feycraft Mithral Gargantuan Warhammer with whatever ubercharging enchantments you want. Feycraft lets you treat the one-handed weapon as light, only for the purposes of Weapon Finesse, which means that if you wield it in two hands, it acts like a two-Handed weapon for Power Attack but your still add your enormous Dexterity modifier instead of your piddling Strength. Ferocity Barbarian also increases Dexterity when "raging". Requirement #1: check.

Standard ubercharging techniques go here (they're all over the place). You need OA monk to get prereq-free Improved Bull Rush so you qualify for Shock Trooper; otherwise you just can't meet that STR 13 requirement earlier in the feat chain. Note that Shock Trooper itself does not require STR 13, nor does Leap Attack. Ubercharging does a lot of damage. Requirement #2: Check.

Another item you want is a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. Hiding is suddenly very easy with that; it grants large bonuses to the relevant skills. Ranger is there to get Hide and Move Silently as class skills without losing BAB, by the way. Size category and high Dexterity (Petals get +10 to Dexterity) should do the rest. Requirement #3: Check.

Looks good, but I have a couple of questions.

Does leap attack, work with flight?
What book is Faycraft from?
Would it be worth trading one more point of BAB for Factorum 3 for the int bonus?

Also thanks for the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, that's a beautiful item.

Spacy
2014-08-13, 09:19 AM
Why not just use the Merciful enchantment instead of taking the -4 to hit for non-lethal, extra 1d6 damage to boot.

Mostly because I forgot that enchantment existed. Thanks!

Kazyan
2014-08-13, 09:30 AM
Does leap attack, work with flight?
What book is Faycraft from?
Would it be worth trading one more point of BAB for Factorum 3 for the int bonus?

Also thanks for the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, that's a beautiful item.

Leap Attack does not work with flight. Come to think of it, the -12 penalty to Jump from such a low move speed would make it too hard to use Leap Attack without help. Boots of Agile Leaping (MIC) will allow the using Dex in place of Str for jump, and are dirt cheap. Combine them via MIC's item combination rules with a pair of Boots of Striding and Springing and there will be few problems from there on out. Did I just invent Dexterity-based uberchargers?

Feycraft is an item template from DMGII.

As for Factotum, probably. +Int to Hide and Move Silently, spend an IP for +Int to damage; it's useful.

Vhaidara
2014-08-13, 09:44 AM
Kazyan, the problem is that I don't think we can so ubercharging because of the Str score. Power Attack (the beginning feat in any ubercharging feat chain) requires a 13 Str. With a -8 penalty, you're going to run into problems qualifying for it.

Hiro Quester
2014-08-13, 10:08 AM
Kazyan, the problem is that I don't think we can so ubercharging because of the Str score. Power Attack (the beginning feat in any ubercharging feat chain) requires a 13 Str. With a -8 penalty, you're going to run into problems qualifying for it.

Overwhelming Attack Monk gets PA for free, as a bonus first level feat. And improved bull rush at second level.

WhamBamSam
2014-08-13, 10:28 AM
Leap Attack does not work with flight. Come to think of it, the -12 penalty to Jump from such a low move speed would make it too hard to use Leap Attack without help. Boots of Agile Leaping (MIC) will allow the using Dex in place of Str for jump, and are dirt cheap. Combine them via MIC's item combination rules with a pair of Boots of Striding and Springing and there will be few problems from there on out. Did I just invent Dexterity-based uberchargers?I don't actually see any particular reason why you can't jump while flying, apart from common sense. Just fluff it as a extra hard flap of the wings or whatever?

Kazyan, the problem is that I don't think we can so ubercharging because of the Str score. Power Attack (the beginning feat in any ubercharging feat chain) requires a 13 Str. With a -8 penalty, you're going to run into problems qualifying for it.He's getting Power Attack/Improved Bull Rush from Overwhelming Attack Monk. Monk bonus feats ignore prereqs.

EDIT: Swordsage'd