PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can resurrect by clone be delayed?

With a box
2014-08-13, 07:41 AM
Dose someone can choose wait for a month to if someone has a way to resurrect him without level loss and have vacation in heaven and later chooes to wake in his clone if nobody wakes him up?
Clone already compeltly made before he died.

KingAtomsk
2014-08-13, 01:42 PM
From the text of the spell, "If the original individual has been slain, its soul immediately transfers to the clone."

So no, they can't wait for a month to see if someone Resurrects them first.

Zanos
2014-08-13, 01:46 PM
Clone lacks the wording of ressurection that forbids you from regaining the lost levels with magic.
(Greater) Restoration can restored a lost level, with Greater Restoration giving you your highest obtained experience value and regular Restoration granting you the minimum experience value for that level.

You could keep an items of it around or just visit a cleric.

With a box
2014-08-14, 05:09 PM
I cast resurrect thread.
not too late to revive, isn't it?

Psyren
2014-08-14, 05:12 PM
The threadomancy rule is 6 weeks, so no.

Greater Restoration only reverses level drain - not level loss.

Chronos
2014-08-14, 05:52 PM
Note also that if the clone has finished growing before you die, it's useless. Well, it could be used to fake your death by planting the corpse somewhere for someone to find, but it's not going to do anything for you if you die.

Pan151
2014-08-14, 06:15 PM
Note also that if the clone has finished growing before you die, it's useless. Well, it could be used to fake your death by planting the corpse somewhere for someone to find, but it's not going to do anything for you if you die.

Which is exactly why you cast gentle repose on it once it's finished...

holywhippet
2014-08-14, 06:39 PM
I'm still unsure if that works by RAW. I mean gentle repose will keep the clone from decaying, but the rules don't specifically say your soul will transfer to it if the real your dies after it has finished growing. I can't see any obvious reason to disallow it though.

I've also wondered what would happen if a person makes a cloned body then becomes lich, then has their lich body and phylactory destroyed. Does their soul return to the cloned body?

Psyren
2014-08-14, 08:19 PM
I've also wondered what would happen if a person makes a cloned body then becomes lich, then has their lich body and phylactory destroyed. Does their soul return to the cloned body?

Once your body and phylactery are gone, your soul is free and most likely willing to return (since the alternative is probably Hell or the Abyss.)

For your first part I agree, it's not clear how clone works if the clone is completed before you die. You can, however, coat in Quintessence to keep it from growing, then have someone scrape it off at any time after you die and your soul should transfer just fine.

Zanos
2014-08-14, 08:41 PM
Stasis Clone exists and is 9th level.

Psyren
2014-08-14, 08:51 PM
The existence of that spell implies that a completed clone is indeed useless if it finishes gestation while you're alive. So yeah, Quintessence (or Unguent of Timelessness if you prefer to avoid psionics.)

Graypairofsocks
2014-08-15, 01:34 AM
Clone lacks the wording of ressurection that forbids you from regaining the lost levels with magic.
(Greater) Restoration can restored a lost level, with Greater Restoration giving you your highest obtained experience value and regular Restoration granting you the minimum experience value for that level.

You could keep an items of it around or just visit a cleric.

Thought Bottle allows you to regain levels lost due to being raised from the dead, but you have to use it before you die.

Stasis Clone exists and is 9th level.

Where is the spell found?

With a box
2014-08-15, 02:10 AM
Where is the spell found?[/QUOTE]

I found it at dndtool (http://dndtools.eu/spells/lords-of-darkness--95/stasis-clone--1522/), but it's 3.0 material

Sith_Happens
2014-08-15, 02:25 AM
From the text of the spell, "If the original individual has been slain, its soul immediately transfers to the clone."

So no, they can't wait for a month to see if someone Resurrects them first.

Clone still requires that the soul be willing to return, so you can totally decide to not transfer to your clone. You may or may not be able to change your mind later, though.

The "Bringing Back the Dead" section of the magic overview, however, includes it.

For your first part I agree, it's not clear how clone works if the clone is completed before you die.

It's pretty clear if you ask me:

If the original individual has been slain, its soul immediately transfers to the clone, creating a replacement (provided that the soul is free and willing to return).

If you die and have a clone, you enter the clone. Stasis clone just keeps you from having to preserve it the meantime.

Zanos
2014-08-15, 08:43 AM
Thought Bottle allows you to regain levels lost due to being raised from the dead, but you have to use it before you die.

Where is the spell found?
Lords of Darkness. It is 3.0 material, but as always, it's perfectly legal for 3.5 games.

Psyren
2014-08-15, 08:50 AM
If you die and have a clone, you enter the clone. Stasis clone just keeps you from having to preserve it the meantime.

No, if you're already dead and have a clone, you enter the clone. "Has been slain" - past tense. If the clone is finished while you're alive and then you die, it seems nothing will happen - they will have to cast another one to pull your soul back. It's not a phylactery. The existence of stasis clone (which does save you if you make it and then die) makes RAI clear.

Basically, clone will only function as a phylactery if you die during the "gestation period." The clone has to finish growing after you die, not before.

Chronos
2014-08-15, 09:20 AM
The spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/clone.htm) specifically states

A duplicate can be grown while the original still lives, or when the original soul is unavailable, but the resulting body is merely a soulless bit of inert flesh, which rots if not preserved.
Inert flesh doesn't do things like absorbing ambient souls. It's inert. It doesn't do anything, beyond lying there and rotting.

Yes, this means that Clone sucks by comparison with divine magic, as a way of bringing back the dead. This is by design. Clerics are supposed to be better than wizards at bringing back the dead; that's part of their schtick.

Psyren
2014-08-15, 09:55 AM
What you should do instead is remove a 1x1 piece of your body while alive (a tooth is good because they last for quite awhile) and preserve that. Then they can make a clone from it after you die and it will pull your soul from wherever.

Making a clone before you die will only work if you die before it's finished (which means you will need one of the tricks above to slow or halt its gestation.)

Gorfnod
2014-08-15, 10:19 AM
So then do you roll the 2d4 or does the DM? Are you aware of how often you need to have clones made for contingent ressurection or do you just need to start a new one up every 2 months just in case?

Psyren
2014-08-15, 10:31 AM
I would say the caster rolls it (who may not be you.) Basically the person who is making the clone should have an idea of how fast it is growing.

Chronos
2014-08-15, 11:21 AM
The tricky thing with taking samples "just in case" is that the level the clone comes back at depends on the level at the time the sample was taken, so you'd want a new sample every time you level up. Which means you're going to start running low on teeth or fingers or whatever you're using. You could get them back with a Regenerate spell (hey, look, an actual use for that spell!)... but if you have access to a Regenerate spell, then you also have access to Resurrection, so why are you bothering with Clone?

Really, I think that Clone is mostly intended an NPC spell, to give the DM an excuse for an arcane spellcaster to be a recurring villain even after the party has killed him. It works fine for that, since the DM can retroactively say that the villain saved away a tooth and started growing a new body right before the party kicked his butt. If you want to really play it up, you can describe the villain as missing sever teeth/fingers/whatever when the party meets him.

Psyren
2014-08-15, 12:54 PM
The tricky thing with taking samples "just in case" is that the level the clone comes back at depends on the level at the time the sample was taken, so you'd want a new sample every time you level up. Which means you're going to start running low on teeth or fingers or whatever you're using. You could get them back with a Regenerate spell (hey, look, an actual use for that spell!)... but if you have access to a Regenerate spell, then you also have access to Resurrection, so why are you bothering with Clone?

You only need to cast it once per level, so your access may be too limited for regular use but just available enough that you can get it that infrequently. Say, you level up and go visit your cleric buddy, or you level up and bind a planetar to do it for you, paying him for his time as appropriate.

Really, I think that Clone is mostly intended an NPC spell, to give the DM an excuse for an arcane spellcaster to be a recurring villain even after the party has killed him. It works fine for that, since the DM can retroactively say that the villain saved away a tooth and started growing a new body right before the party kicked his butt. If you want to really play it up, you can describe the villain as missing sever teeth/fingers/whatever when the party meets him.

Oh I agree, it has "recurring bad guy" written all over it. But they did throw it in the Players' Handbook.

Tvtyrant
2014-08-15, 02:15 PM
As a side note, I just realized my character can cast clone, kill themselves, gentle repose their corpse, level and Animate Dread Corpse their own body.