PDA

View Full Version : Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum! IC

qwertyu63
2014-08-13, 11:45 AM
This is the IC thread for Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum! You just joined a pirate crew on a ship called the Rusty Tuna. You are currently docked at a small island known as Tsun; Tsun is a one island nation known for "overlooking" pirates, so long as they avoid causing trouble...

dupersudi
2014-08-13, 02:54 PM
Throg wakes up from his nap and looks around for his familiar, seeing it he orders it to go hunt and keep an eye on the surroundings. He then takes down the tarp he has on the deck for shade and rolls it up. He is simply too large to fit comfortably below decks, so he just sleeps curled up under a tarp near a mast. He grabs his axe as he staggers off the boat, mumbling to himself and still half asleep and wanders into the closest tavern. Or at least, the closest tavern's doorframe. Cursing at his clumsiness he manages to squeeze through the doorway and clears several chairs from the bar before sitting on the ground. "Bartender, a barrel of grog and half a pig." Only after ordering does he look around the tavern.

dextercorvia
2014-08-13, 02:59 PM
Erdak

Erdak stood a bald head taller than most of those on the dock. Arcane tattoos covered most of his exposed flesh. His thin frame seemed out of place considering his giant blood. Only Erdak knew that was the price he paid. Those same tattoos channeled his physical strength away from his body, replacing it with metaphysical power.

He wove carefully through the crowd, heading for the Rusty Tuna. Three days ago, the Barred Roc sailed off and left him behind while he slept off an all-nighter. The whole mess probably had something to do with beating Jimmy, the first mate, too many times at dice.

He had signed on to the Tuna last night as ship's mage. This time, I won't gamble with anyone. I've learned my lesson. He swore to himself again, as he stepped onto the gang plank.

He shouted up to the deck, "Erdak, ship's mage, reporting in. Permission to come aboard?"

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/303/d/6/red_wizard_by_artastrophe-d4ejrts.jpg

rs2excelsior
2014-08-13, 03:29 PM
Gaeralagos walks up onto the deck, stretching and blinking to adjust his eyes to the bright sun. He steps off the gangplank, nodding a greeting to Erdak as he passed. He watches Throg stumble into the tavern (literally), and decides the Half-Ogre has a good idea. He'd developed a taste for Human ale and mead, despite his Elven blood. He follows Throg into the tavern, trusty rapier and axe both tucked into his belt, and orders a pint of ale.

asdflove
2014-08-13, 03:50 PM
Amelia Cameron is a wisp of a girl. Standing only 5 ft tall and very thin as she is. Her long, slightly oversized, though very nice, coat didn't help with the image of her being quite small. Her hair is blond, though it seems to have a blue sheen to it, and it's cut short in the back, though her fringe, sideswept to the right, goes down to her shoulders. She's leaning against the edge of the boat on the deck and whistling merrily to herself. She doesn't seem to be paying any attention to the others right now. "We are the pirates who don't do anything..." She sings softly to herself.

Pelor
2014-08-13, 07:52 PM
Leaning on the other end of the boat that the small girl is, Tiggs sits idly by, his long tail flipping back and forth. Tiggs is a tall and lithe Catfolk with the body markings of a Bengal Tiger. He wears a red, silk blouse over a beautiful chain shirt and dark leather trousers. He has two wickedly sharp and curved kukri's tucked into his waistband. He picks himself up off his perch and mosies on over to the girl to introduce himself. "This one calls himself Tiggs. This one is pleased to meet you."

asdflove
2014-08-13, 08:38 PM
Leaning on the other end of the boat that the small girl is, Tiggs sits idly by, his long tail flipping back and forth. Tiggs is a tall and lithe Catfolk with the body markings of a Bengal Tiger. He wears a red, silk blouse over a beautiful chain shirt and dark leather trousers. He has two wickedly sharp and curved kukri's tucked into his waistband. He picks himself up off his perch and mosies on over to the girl to introduce himself. "This one calls himself Tiggs. This one is pleased to meet you."

"'Ello!" She grins, standing up straight. Up close you can tell her skin, which just looked like she may have been sick before, is actually a pale blue-green color. "Call me Amelia. Amelia Cameron." She adjusts the crystal sword she has on her back. "So, what're you bringin' to this here crew?"

Pelor
2014-08-13, 11:08 PM
Tiggs smiles a toothy smiles to Amelia. "This one is pleased to meet you Amelia. This one is capable fighter who is agile, fast, and quite handy as a general rule. This one can quickly run up the mast and batten down the hatches or any other task. You?"

bekeleven
2014-08-13, 11:19 PM
Tavern patrons looking up may notice a tiny grin somewhere in the rafters. Then again, it's unlikely any are that keen-eyed. If they were they could see a young woman, just over a foot tall, with yellow skin and green freckles. From her belt hung a full-sized bottle of wine, extending inches below her own feet.

Hopping between the boards, Tien looks down. Not that table. Hop. Nope, not that one.

Another two hops, and she found it: A table with ribs. She wasn't sure the bar served ribs. Maybe the patron brought their own. Seems unlikely. The important part is that they were here now, and so was she.

"It's been a decade since I've tried ribs," she announces to nobody in particular, and flies down to land next to the plate, the wine bottle hitting the table with a clunk.

Hide check while in the rafters: [roll0]
If you want a random factor to just who was eating those ribs: [roll1]
She's landing pretty much regardless. Maybe not if it's orcus.

asdflove
2014-08-13, 11:33 PM
Tiggs smiles a toothy smiles to Amelia. "This one is pleased to meet you Amelia. This one is capable fighter who is agile, fast, and quite handy as a general rule. This one can quickly run up the mast and batten down the hatches or any other task. You?"

"I'm good at makin' friends stronger and sometimes other people weaker. 'M also not too shabby at the whole fightin' thing. Recently started learnin' how to use my songs to control storms and such too."

Pelor
2014-08-14, 01:58 AM
"This one thinks that he would like to hear you sing. More importantly this one thinks we will be good friends." The Tiger looking creature named Tiggs has a big smile in anticipation of a song.

qwertyu63
2014-08-14, 09:16 AM
Old Iris comes up from below deck. "Greetings everyone... It looks some of ye ain't here." He looks around. "Alright, first order of business: find the rest of the crew and bring them back here; drag them if you must. They should be somewhere on this island."

dextercorvia
2014-08-14, 09:45 AM
Erdak

"I'm a-handlin' it, Cap'n. Makin' things appear be a magician's job." The lanky mage walked down the gang, to the wharf. He looked around, and picked a likely youth. "You, lad. Run, don't walk, to ev'ry dive in this miserable town. Tell 'em all the Tuna sails wit' the tide. It's worth a gold crown -- two if yer back afore the Cap'n rings the bell. If'n you skip one, I'll find out, an' when I do, I'll rig this ship wit' yer entrails."

Erdak flashes a coin to show he's serious about payment.

Take 10 on knowledge local (19), to pick someone out of the crowd that might actually do the job.

I prefer to think of it as carrot vs. stick negotiation rather than straight up Intimidate, but I'll take 10 on that for a 15 if necessary.

qwertyu63
2014-08-14, 09:52 AM
Erdak

"I'm a-handlin' it, Cap'n. Makin' things appear be a magician's job." The lanky mage walked down the gang, to the wharf. He looked around, and picked a likely youth. "You, lad. Run, don't walk, to ev'ry dive in this miserable town. Tell 'em all the Tuna sails wit' the tide. It's worth a gold crown -- two if yer back afore the Cap'n rings the bell. If'n you skip one, I'll find out, an' when I do, I'll rig this ship wit' yer entrails."

Erdak flashes a coin to show he's serious about payment.

Take 10 on knowledge local (19), to pick someone out of the crowd that might actually do the job.

I prefer to think of it as carrot vs. stick negotiation rather than straight up Intimidate, but I'll take 10 on that for a 15 if necessary.

The young lad replies "Alright sir."

A few minutes later he walks into the tavern where the rest of the crew is. He clears his throat and says "The Rusty Tuna sails with the tides." He then departs.

asdflove
2014-08-14, 10:39 AM
"This one thinks that he would like to hear you sing. More importantly this one thinks we will be good friends." The Tiger looking creature named Tiggs has a big smile in anticipation of a song.

"A song? Mayhaps we should wait till ev'ry one else is aboard an' I can sing us a proper sea shanty t' get us goin'."

Pelor
2014-08-14, 10:45 AM
Tiggs

"This one thinks that would be splendid." Tiggs gathers around and prepares to go after the other crew members, but stands fast when he sees the other crew member beat him to it. Tiggs stretches, and yawns lazily, with his tail swishing back and forth as he waits for the others to arrive.

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 11:11 AM
A figure buzzes onto the wharf, seeks out Iris, flies to where his right hand rests by his waist, and grips it to shake in her own. "Aye aye cap'n!" She's quite small. Or maybe she's just far away?

"Does the ship have ribs?"

dupersudi
2014-08-14, 12:36 PM
Throg grumbles a bit when the boy comes, but he has already finished his food, and most of the barrel. He swiftly chugs the rest and walks outside, surprisingly enough with more grace than when he entered. He walks over to the ship and gets on board. "Hullo Cap'n, want me to haul the anchor up and send the hawk about?"

dextercorvia
2014-08-14, 01:26 PM
Erdak tosses two coins to the boy, then climbs back aboard.

"Does the ship have ribs?"

Aye, lass. You can be seein' 'em in the hold, all along the keel. Watch that yer not eatin' by a rat.

rs2excelsior
2014-08-14, 04:24 PM
Gaeralagos eagerly accepts his frothing mug of ale, when he hears someone hurriedly enter the tavern. "The Rusty Tuna sails with the tides," the boy says, before dashing off again. Sighing, he drains his ale in one long gulp, leaving the mug and a silver piece on the bar, smiling at the barmaid before he turns to leave for the ship.

Looking at the Rusty Tuna, he sighs and shakes his head. "She's nothing like the Revenge, but she'll do." Of course the Revenge, his old ship, was at the bottom of the sea, burned and sunk by ships of the King's Navy. Rusty Tuna was small, but at least he was getting back out to sea, and really that was all that mattered. Shaking his head, he climbed back aboard.

qwertyu63
2014-08-14, 07:53 PM
Old Iris says "Now the crew be together." he turns to face Throg and continues "Raise the anchor and we'll get on our way."

dupersudi
2014-08-14, 08:10 PM
"Alright Captain, it'll be up in a minute." Throg wanders over to the anchor and just starts hauling it aboard. He then calls out to his familiar. "Oi birdie, go see if there are any ships outside the harbor."

rs2excelsior
2014-08-14, 08:20 PM
Running to his cabin to retrieve his spyglass, Gaeralagos clambers up the rigging to the crow's nest. "I'll help the bird keep an eye out," he calls over his shoulder as he is climbing.

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 10:18 PM
After a quick scan of the docks, Tien flies up to the crow's nest and shakes the elf almost-elf's hand. Well, it's not much of a shake. She hovers in front of his hand, grabs it with both of hers, and does what can best be described as pull-ups.

"I'm Tien! I'm a fairy and I put holes into people and then fix them."

Pelor
2014-08-14, 11:27 PM
Tiggs says nothing but begins climbing the rigging and preparing the sails to get underway.

Climb:[roll0]
Profession Sailor:[roll1]

rs2excelsior
2014-08-15, 08:11 AM
After a quick scan of the docks, Tien flies up to the crow's nest and shakes the elf almost-elf's hand. Well, it's not much of a shake. She hovers in front of his hand, grabs it with both of hers, and does what can best be described as pull-ups.

"I'm Tien! I'm a fairy and I put holes into people and then fix them."

Smiling at the little fairy's attempt to shake his hand, Gaeralagos nods and replies, "I am Gaeralagos, and I put more holes in people than I fix. I don't know, but it seems like it'd be easier to just stick to one or the other. You make more work for yourself otherwise. And if you don't mind me asking, how did you come to be aboard a pirate ship? Don't see many of your kind on ships like these.

bekeleven
2014-08-15, 03:24 PM
Tien thinks before answering. She has to figure out how to explain exactly why she'd come.

"I've never been a pirate before!"

That settled, she flits up to the railing and stands on it, looking out to sea.

qwertyu63
2014-08-15, 03:41 PM
At the moment, the seas appear empty except for the island you are leaving.

Old Iris says "Our first stop is Casins to find out what's shipping right now. Hopefully we find something shipping on the way, but ye never know."

Casins is a central trading hub of a nearby empire named Gaan.

dupersudi
2014-08-15, 04:21 PM
"I stay on deck in case Hawk spots something. Or anyone needs me." He goes and sits in a shaded are and calls out for his hireling. "OI, DERRICK, COME 'ERE!" Derrick runs up quickly. "Yes sir?" Derrick says. "Go count our provisions, especially the alcohol. And find me a fishing pole, I want some fish."

I'm assuming there is a fishing pole on this boat, and that if needed someone will ask for Throg.

dextercorvia
2014-08-15, 10:24 PM
Erdak stood, barechested in the prow of the sloop. One hand gripped the rail, the other held a rod. The mage focused on the exchange of energy happening right under his skin. He barked out words in an ancient infernal dialect. His tattoos rippled, and seemed to move on their own. There is a faint shimmer behind him, just for a moment, then he stops chanting, and his tattoos still themselves.

Erdak points to a tangled mess of rope on the fore deck, "Coil that rope." The rope seems to untangle itself, and after a few minutes neat coils appear where once there was just a heap of cord.

Unseen Servant (cast with a rod of extend) will perform Erdak's mundane duties for the next 12 hours.

rs2excelsior
2014-08-16, 01:45 AM
Tien thinks before answering. She has to figure out how to explain exactly why she'd come.

"I've never been a pirate before!"

That settled, she flits up to the railing and stands on it, looking out to sea.

The half-elf smiled at the fairy. "Makes sense. I guess I've never been anything else, on some level." He grimaced as Tiggs scrambled across the rigging, controlling the indecipherable puppet strings that controlled the sails. He'd have to get the Catfolk to show him how it worked. Aboard his last ship, he hadn't much worried about sailing it. He'd gotten quite good at scrambling from one ship to another when the other didn't want him there, though.

I'm definitely putting a skill point into Profession (Sailor) next level...

Pelor
2014-08-16, 06:30 AM
Tiggs, Upper Riggings of the Salty Tuna

Seeing that he is the only one preparing the ship to get underway, Tiggs yells to the others. "This one say do not worry if you don't know what to do. I will gladly show any who wishes to learn in their spare time. It is easy to pick up the basics, but takes years to master."

bekeleven
2014-08-16, 12:50 PM
"Why would I have to know what I'm doing to do it?" Tien calls back, flying over to help grab the lines it looks like he's going for.

Take 10 on aid another.

Pelor
2014-08-18, 12:34 AM
Tiggs, Upper Riggings of the Salty Tuna

Tiggs finishes prepping the Salty Tuna then jumps down awaiting further orders.

qwertyu63
2014-08-18, 08:18 AM
"Alright, on our current heading, it will take us about 2 days to get to Casins. That's assuming the wind stays in our favor."

Now is the time to start breaking out those spot checks.

Pelor
2014-08-18, 08:24 AM
Tigg's keeps an eye but, is usually too preoccupied with keeping the ship afloat to notice anything.

Spot: [roll0]

dextercorvia
2014-08-18, 11:43 AM
Erdak has plenty of time to scan the horizon while letting his magicks work for him. Unfortunately his laziness when it comes to mundane chores means he is often thinking about some arcane curiosity instead.

Spot check. [roll0]

bekeleven
2014-08-18, 12:33 PM
Tien takes out a massively oversized (for her) game board, and plays a game with herself as she watches from the crow's nest.

Spot: [roll0] (-2 for distraction)

dupersudi
2014-08-18, 12:56 PM
Throg's Hawk continues circling about the vessel.

Hawk has +14 to Spot.

[roll0]

rs2excelsior
2014-08-18, 02:56 PM
Gaeralagos pulls out his spyglass and begins scanning the horizon.

[roll0]

I don't know if the spyglass qualifies me for any kind of bonus.

dextercorvia
2014-08-19, 09:34 AM
Erdak had always been on larger vessels before, where he earned his pay purely for his expertise. The Tuna was a different ship. It was a small sloop that could be handled by a small crew, but there wasn't much room for specialization. As such, he found himself learning quite a bit about how the rigging, rudder, and wheel worked. Much of it was intuitive for him, given his natural intelligence and understanding of machines. He found himself quite adept at using the stars or sun to calculate their course, for instance. But, given his higher than usual center of gravity and modest sense of balance, Erdak preferred to stay out of the crow's nest.

qwertyu63
2014-08-19, 12:12 PM
About 90 minutes of sailing later, a boat appears on the horizon. It appears to be a bit bigger than the Tuna.

dupersudi
2014-08-19, 12:54 PM
The hawk comes plummeting out of the sky and lands next to Throg squawking repeatedly. Throg, thanks to the Emphatic link, sort of understands what the bird is going on about. "Oi Captain, the bird saw a ship, bit bigger than the Tuna!"

dextercorvia
2014-08-19, 01:21 PM
What heading and distance? Erdak shields his eyes from the Sun and takes another look.

Move action to try a failed spot check again.
[roll0]

bekeleven
2014-08-19, 01:26 PM
Tien flies closer to try and determine what kind of ship it is, and its crew count.

Retrying spot check, although feel free to adjust the DC due to 60 feet less of distance modifiers.
[roll0]

qwertyu63
2014-08-19, 08:04 PM
The vessel be roughly 500 feet away.

Tien see that it be a cutter with a crew of 12.

Size 5

bekeleven
2014-08-19, 08:17 PM
Tien flies back. "They're bigger than us and they have ten people. Couldn't see what they're carrying. But it needs 10 people to carry it, so it must be good!"

rs2excelsior
2014-08-19, 09:20 PM
Gaeralagos looks through his spyglass to see if the ship or it's crew are armed, or if there's anything particularly unusual about it.

[roll0]
Already added in +2 for the spyglass.
I've been playing too much Pathfinder recently, I was confused about why I couldn't find "Perception" in my skills :smalltongue:

dextercorvia
2014-08-19, 09:28 PM
"What do ye say, Cap'n? Shall we offer our help in carryin' that 'eavy load?"

Pelor
2014-08-19, 11:37 PM
Tiggs prepares the rigging's and sails to make sure she is as fast as can be as they approach the other ship.

Profession: Sailor - [roll0]

qwertyu63
2014-08-20, 07:52 AM
"Aye, I say we go and make it ours. Someone man the cannons!"

Gaeralagos, both they and the ship are armed. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Profession (sailor) for the Helmsman: [roll0]

Also, as of right now, all of you get a +2 morale bonus to attack rolls, skill checks and saving throws. Tiggs, feel free to add that to your Profession (sailor) check.

asdflove
2014-08-20, 01:07 PM
Amelia has been fairly quiet since the ship took off, but at the order for the cannons to be manned, she jerked up and rushed over there, muttering something about a magic coat.
Once over there she smiled up at Tiggs. "How 'bout that song I promised!?" She started to sing, quietly at first, but then louder and Tiggs may feel just a little more skilled at what he's doing.

I realized that my coat gives me a +5 on profession sailor. I'm also using Inspire competence to give Tiggs a +2 on his profession sailor.
[roll0]

rs2excelsior
2014-08-20, 02:05 PM
Gaeralagos climbs back down from the crow's nest and rushes into his cabin for a moment. He comes back out twirling a grappling hook, his shortbow and quiver slung across his back. "Cannons. No style to them. Let 'em get close, I'll show them how to fight properly." He goes over to see if he can help Amelia with the cannons until the cutter closes in enough. "I might not know how to fire these things too well, but I imagine another hand loading and moving them couldn't hurt."

I'll try and use Aid Another to do what I can, even if it's just bringing ammunition back and forth to the guns.

bekeleven
2014-08-20, 02:20 PM
Tien steels herself for a fight and flies back over to the other ship. Is it reacting to them yet?

Cast: Protection from Arrows. DR 10/Magic Vs. Ranged weapons, absorbs up to 30 damage.

dupersudi
2014-08-20, 11:36 PM
Throg steels himself for battle. Making sure his chainshirt fits and his greataxe is securely strapped to his side before hefting his crossbow and moving to the fore of the boat.

Pelor
2014-08-21, 07:52 AM
Tiggs prepares a rope so that he can swing across and board the ship.

Use Rope: [roll0]

dextercorvia
2014-08-21, 08:41 AM
As they close on the ship, Erdak readies his mind to cast. With the ship close enough to see clearly now, the mage analyzes the configuration of the other ship, hoping to spot an advantage. There! "Tigg! See how they be listin' ta the port. Their cargo be off center. They'll have trouble handlin' a starboard crosswind. Can ye convince 'em ta turn slightly? We'll have tha peg up on 'em then!"

Aid another on Tiggs [roll0] (auto succeed) take another +2 there my friend.

My description would probably be more helpful to the helmsman, but this is largely because OOC, I have no idea what a rigger does. Please accept my humble offering in the spirit in which it was intended. I promise to learn more about Piracy from wikipedia before our next battle. That is unless anyone thinks that info on the DMCA would be useful in this situation. :smallcool:

qwertyu63
2014-08-28, 01:30 PM
The unknown cutter opens fire, and misses the Rusty Tuna.

[roll0]

damage [roll1]

base 2+0 helm+1 gun+2 advantage

bekeleven
2014-08-28, 03:16 PM
Tien flies closer, squeaking at the top of her tiny lungs, "Surrender and prepare to be boarded!" As she does so, she grows tiny animal ears and her outfit changes to a set of tan breeches, a cotton shirt, and a bandana... in fact, about what Old Iris is wearing now.

Heroic Spirit Install: Tamamo-no-Mae (Move action thanks to the Quicker Install feat). 7 Rounds remaining.
- Her install grants her +2 intelligence and her caster level rises from 3 to 6.
Noble Phantasm: Bestial Sky. (Standard action thanks to the Faster Phantasm feat). Consumes 1 round, so 6 rounds remaining in the install.
- Until the end of her next round, cold damage taken is halved, and cold damage dealt is doubled + Int.

5-foot fly closer.

Spell Slots remaining: 4/5/3.

dextercorvia
2014-08-28, 09:41 PM
Erdak traces his finger along one of the tattoos on his left arm. Then he pulls a pinch of soil from his pouch and blows it from his hand. The dirt disperses on the wind and a fine mist wafts down over the approaching ship.

Casting Kelgore's Grave Mist centered on the main mast of the opposing ship. It is a 20' radius 20'high. There is no saving throw. Anyone in the area is fatigued (-2 Str and Dex penalty, can't run or charge). Over the next 6 regular rounds, all of which happen during a single ship to ship round, they will take [roll0] points of cold damage (one of those per round if it matters).