PDA

View Full Version : Custom Background: Shinobi

Yagyujubei
2014-08-13, 12:22 PM
Made this for a Monk/rogue character I'm thinking up. Tell me what you think.

Background:
Shinobi (slightly tweaked criminal)
You have been raised deep in seclusion amongst your secretive clan. Since childhood rigorous training in stealth, agility, hand to hand combat, and traditional techniques of illusion and deception have rendered you all but a shadow to the rest of the world. Though you have moral flexibility as to right and wrong, you follow your own self set code with absolute diligence believing in only yourself and very few others.
Skill proficiencies: Stealth, and Deception or Acrobatics
Tool proficiencies: disguise kit, poisoners kit
Equipment: a length of rope with a grapple hook, A set of dark common clothes including a hood, and a pouch with 2 smoke bombs

Shinobi specialty:
The secretive Clans of these ancient assassins are few but varied among the lands of faerun. As such each clan shows expertise in maneuvering quickly and unnoticed in their local domain. choose your preferred terrain type of choice or roll on the Table below. You can move in this terrain at full speed regardless of difficulty:
-Tundra
-Arctic
-Coast
-Desert
-Forest
-Grassland
-Mountain
-Swamp
-Underdark

Feature: Clan Master
The master of your clan is a formidable and terrible force. They are the ancient holder of all clan secrets and among the initiated of the clan his word is law. He may call upon his subjects as his own whim. And will reward loyalty accordingly through information, power, or wealth.

Suggested Characteristics:
Shinobi follow a varying moral compass. Some value power and knowledge at all costs, while others stick strictly to their code and the codes of their clan. Honor and treachery, light and dark, one will find all qualities in this spectrum throughout the ancient shinobi clans of faerun.

Personality traits:
1. I always have a contingency plan for when things go wrong, and know the escape from any situation.
2. I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never let my emotions control me.
3. I am incredibly slow to trust, outsiders values and honor cannot be counted upon.
4. I despise those who don’t have the strength to follow their convictions, the frivolous disgust me.
5. I prefer to be alone and only rely on my own strength. I travel with others not by choice.
6. I idolize a hero of my clan, and style my life an honor after his example.
7. I collect information on new people and places compulsively, knowledge is power in my business.
8. I’ve been isolated among the clan for so long I rarely speak to outsiders, preferring gestures and the occasional word.

Ideals:
1. Honor
2. Logic
3. Power
4. Self-perfection
5. Tradition
6. Balance
7. Loyalty
8. Knowledge

Bond:
1. Something important was taken from my clan, I will stop at nothing to return it.
2. I would do anything for the members of my clan and those I trust.
3. My loved one was murdered and I am to avenge them.
4. I Protect those who cannot protect themselves when possible.
5. I have a strong connection to the land I was raised in. I will protect it with lethal resolve.
6. I have a dark secret that I must protect at all costs from my companions and my clan.

Flaw:
1. I am hunted tirelessly by assassins from a rival clan.
2. My mission is everything. Beyond that morals, friendships, and politics mean nothing.
3. I judge others harshly, and myself even more so.
4. Once I set a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of other aspects of my life.
5. I am unable to communicate well with others, and cannot express my feelings well.
4. I am never satisfied with myself and the world around me. I always hunger for more, be it knowledge, perfection, or power.

Naanomi
2014-08-13, 12:48 PM
I would change it to just Stealth + Acrobatics; as other backgrounds don't give the versatility of a choice.

Also, you appear to have 'two advantages' (Clan Advantage and Terrain), whereas most backgrounds only have one. If you keep the Terrain Mastery advantage, I would just use the full list from the ranger class... after all, Drow Shinobi need their Underdark terrain mastery right?

Apart from these mechanical hiccups (I always try to keep my home-brew from being better than existing options, even on minor points), looks fine. That being said; Criminal, Charlatan, and Outlander could all be used for different 'Shinobi Clan' representations as well

Seppo87
2014-08-13, 01:08 PM
This is the description of a narcissist. Not sure it's a good idea to play that.

Yagyujubei
2014-08-13, 01:26 PM
well I pulled from a bunch of the current archetypes for the bond/personality/flaw stuff.

and I don't know what you mean by clan advantage. if you're talking about the Clan master thing, it's mostly for flavor and the DM could opt to never even mention the clan master in the campaign, or he could make you take a detour or do something really dangerous or compel you to do something. I didn't really intend for it to seem a perk.

and yeah, I was totally looking for that terrain thing before and couldn't remember where I saw it, I'll edit it.

oh and as for it seeming like a narcissist, it's not like you actually have to choose to use the options they're mostly there as vague directional guidlines

Beleriphon
2014-08-13, 10:33 PM
and I don't know what you mean by clan advantage. if you're talking about the Clan master thing, it's mostly for flavor and the DM could opt to never even mention the clan master in the campaign, or he could make you take a detour or do something really dangerous or compel you to do something. I didn't really intend for it to seem a perk.

No, the Terrain thing is kind of not in keeping with other backgrounds. It provide almost too much of a mechanical perk in comparison with other background features. I'm suggest something along the lines of always knowing where to find weapons on the cheap or knowing the location of shinobi supply caches suitable for whatever environment you find yourself in.

CyberThread
2014-08-13, 11:03 PM
You sorta missed a common obvious one..

City as a terrian.

Yagyujubei
2014-08-14, 03:03 PM
You sorta missed a common obvious one..

City as a terrian.

doesn't really fit with the flavor, these are secluded villages of people living ancient traditions, they aren't in cities like that.

as for the terrain thing being to powerful, I think weighed against free healing/care/lodgings and stuff like in the acolyte BG or having a whole working false identity like a charlitan would are much weaker depending upon how good you can put them to use really. sure free movement is really useful in the most obvious battle sense, but it doesnt have any of the skill or story applications other ones have, and it's only one type of terrain too. I dunno, didn't seem to strong to me but that's why I wanted opinions.

I could see how this could be abused in say, and all underdark campaign. it would be broken in that instance, but in a campaign that goes all around i think its balanced