PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow Within

Grimtina
2014-08-13, 12:49 PM
Hamshin (http://www.krath.org/arania/Shadow%20Within/village.jpg) is, by all means, not a regular village. The leftovers of an old trading post on a formerly important trade route, it has a small walled in area with houses better placed in the city, and an inn called The Laughing Prince outside the walls, together with the former trade storage and a ssizable farm which seems to raise mostly goats, a few sheep and donkeys, and surprise surprise in this part of Faerun, camels. A few chickens can also beseen resting in the shadow of the large granary that is part of the farm. How people make a living here is unclear.

The sun is scorching hot during the day, so nothing much moves. Yet, you have a feeling you are expected. Not watched, exactly, just that someone here knows you are coming and can't wait to see you.

Vhaidara
2014-08-13, 01:04 PM
Talreth sighed. There had been reports of drow activity in this village, so his elders had seen fit to send him here , alone, to investigate. Clearly they expected him to fail, since they knew investigation was far from one of his strengths.
He touched the hilt of the black bladed scimitar at his side, Dancer's Death, and felt reassurance from the blade. He would defy them. He would succeed.
But where to look? The dark elves wouldn't be out until dark, so he would have all day to ready himself.

Starbin
2014-08-13, 01:30 PM
Kahlindal had been traveling for awhile now, and the desert sun hadn't become any less unrelenting. He was pleased when he saw the town on the horizon, touching the symbol at his neck with a small smile. "The Blessed One always provides ..." When he arrived at the edge of the small town, he paused for a few moments to take in the scattering of buildings, some out outside the wall that encircling the rest of the settlement. His gaze stopped when he saw a sign with the picture of a crowned boy laughing aloud. With a nod to himself, he walked to the inn and entered, happy to be out of the sun for a few moments.

Once inside, the halfling looked around for someone to talk to about food, drink and perhaps a room for the night. He couldn't quite place his finger on it, but his Lady had brought him here for a reason ... something was going to happen. Until it did, he might as well have a bite to eat while he waited.

JusticeZero
2014-08-13, 01:56 PM
Ulubriecce pauses at the sight of the walls, running her hand over her face.. Dark skin becomes pale ice blue, red eyes to green, grey hair covered by a wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off her face.
(Disguise:[roll0])
She squints her eyes and pulls the hat lower onto her face.
:: A road map helps, though.. ::
She tags along behind the halfling, peering around for any sign of the criminal element and visibly relaxing as the closing inn door seals the sun away behind her, scanning the crowd.

souffle_girl
2014-08-13, 04:57 PM
Rhea had been in Calimshan less than a week, and she already decided she hated it.

She was supposed to meet Bryce and Triel in the village, but apparently she'd been early by a few days. Most of the day, the sun was unbelievably hot, not to mention bright, forcing her to spend her time at the inn drinking whatever cool beverage they had. Almost everyone in town had come to see the foreigner and give her aggressive stares, likely believing she was one of her much less friendly relatives from the Underdark. No amount of healing people for free or tipping the local bard and innkeeper managed to make them like her, but she didn't blame them. In fact, if she had met a half-drow for the first time she wouldn't trust her either.

But what she really didn't expect, and a source for much disappointment, was how poorly men treated women here. After all, they were the ones that carried children; they were the ones giving life and, in the twisted mockery of a society the drows maintained underground, they had the right to take it back. She'd learned that in many places on the surface things were different, but only now she was realizing to what extent. It was ironic, considering the pride she took in having been transformed by her goddess.

She gave only a glance at the door when it opened, expecting just another villager. The one who walked inside, however, was a halfling, definitely another traveller. And soon after him, Bryce followed, not so difficult to spot despite her different than usual skin tone.

"Hi, Bryce," she simply greeted her, calling the woman to her table.

Diachronos
2014-08-13, 06:15 PM
Serana let out a small sigh as she crossed the threshold into Hamshin. It would be good to finally get out of the sun for a change; while she hadn't inherited her father's weakness to sunlight, her eyes were still sensitive to bright light. And after almost a week in the desert, her eyes were constantly sore from the exposure.

She promptly headed into the tavern when she saw it, almost feeling like she was being called to it. Behind her trudged a gaunt, armored figure; the figure's body was entirely covered by its armor and clothing, not even part of its face observable from beneath the eye slits in its helmet. One of its hands rested on the pommel of a well-crafted longsword, and it moved closer to the young woman each time someone passed by.

She pulled her hood down once she entered the tavern, revealing her dusky skin and violet eyes. At first glance she could be mistaken for a half-drow, though her fuller face and lack of pointed ears were evidence enough that that assumption was false. The woman sank into a chair at the nearest empty table with a relieved sigh, and the armored figure silently assumed a watcher's stance behind her. Anyone who looked closely would be able to see that the woman's cloak and the armor on the other figure both bore the same emblem (http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.13669058.3040/fc,550x550,black.u5.jpg).

JusticeZero
2014-08-13, 06:26 PM
Bryce nodded her head toward the table, finishing her glance around.
:: Sounds like the Blessed One isn't the only one calling. ::
She drifts over that way nonchalantly, slipping quietly into a seat and glancing over to meet the glance of a serving girl for a moment. ::It is hotter than a damned forge out there. Not a lot of people on the roads this way.:: She scans around a bit more. ::Hmm. I'm not sure I like the way people are looking this way. Are you in any trouble?::

Vhaidara
2014-08-13, 07:39 PM
Talreth makes his way to the tavern. After all, drow had to go inside during the day to protect their eyes, and a tavern seemed like a place for their foul debauchery. So he enters, and looks around, one hand still on his blade.

Ellowryn
2014-08-13, 08:30 PM
Off on the other side of town comes a somewhat shadowing figure, carrying what looks like a pole. Listening close enough anyone can notice a tune being whistled, of which seem to be a melody that makes no sense.

Eying the sign for the inn on the outer wall, he tips his fishing cap and begins to make his way into town.

The sight of others, even if unfamiliar heartens him, especially since they seem to be headed to same place as him. A cool beer, some friendly chatting, and perhaps some directions to the nearest fishing hole will brighten his mood.

"Perhaps crossing a desert on foot wasn't the best way to get to a secluded fishing spot"

souffle_girl
2014-08-14, 02:17 AM
"About as much as you can expect, given my skin tone. But nobody tried to drive me away yet. How was your trip, and who is your companion?" Rhea asked, then turne to the halfling,

"Greetings. My name is Rhea and I'm a travelling priestess of Eilistraee, if you know about her. I... assume you're some kind of clergyman too?" she asked, scanning his clothes for any sign she was right. Maybe he was just a very devout man.

Yet more patrons were coming in, all of them foreigners. She intensely scanned the other dark skinned woman, she obviously had drow blood in her veins too, and her intimidating bodyguard, wondering what he had to hide to walk around in full plating under the hot sun. Was he a full blooded drow? She doubted it, considering how tall and bulky he was. Maybe he wasn't a he at all, but just a suit of animated armor. That made much more sense.

Finally, an elf walked in, and Rhea found herself wondering why his face was familiar. She had met him somewhere before...

Grimtina
2014-08-14, 04:04 AM
The other patrons of the inn - a traveling salesman who seems well nown around here, servants of the minor nobles in the estate and a few farm hands - begin to take interest in all the strangers. The only one tending the inn at this time - a young halfling lad with red-locked hair who is definitely not a native - is also the only one not to give the newcomers any courious glances. "Hello there," he shouts with a voice you'd expect in a large ork. "I'm alone right now, if you want something, just shout and I'll bring it over." Then he goes back to washing mugs and plates.

Vhaidara
2014-08-14, 06:14 AM
Talreth looks at the barkeep.
I'm looking for drow. My elders had visions that there were some here/ Do you know where they are hiding?
Talreth's voice is strong, arrogant, and confident.

Fireheart
2014-08-14, 07:10 AM
Triel followed behind Rhea by a few days. Hoping it would give her eyes time to adjust to the bright surface sun. Even after 2 years, the sun still hurt her eyes. The sun in Calisham seemed even brighter than the Sanctuary. Night was a welcome relief.

Why the lady saw fit to send them to a place hotter than the seven hells was beyond her but her job was to follow Rhea. So that's what she did.

Keeping her cloak up, she enters the inn, dry and dusty from the road, just in time to hear an elf say...I'm looking for drow. My elders had visions that there were some here/ Do you know where they are hiding?

Bright lady, already? she thinks as she loosens the straps on her short sword. She looks around the inn for Rhea and begins to move quietly in that direction.

Stealth [roll0]

Grimtina
2014-08-14, 07:30 AM
"Drow?" the boy pauses, as if unfamiliar with the term but not wanting to admit it. "I don't think I have seen any."

souffle_girl
2014-08-14, 07:42 AM
Rhea smiled at the sight of Triel sneaking closer to her.

"Triel, you pop up in town and an arrogant elf starts looking for dark elves. What did you do to upset him?" she asked in a whisper, snickering. "How was your trip?"

Ellowryn
2014-08-14, 08:24 AM
Entering the inn, Ahran takes in the room. Seems mostly normal, except the high number of what look like drow. Perhaps something interesting might happen yet.

Moving to one of the open tables not far from odd looking group, he spies the server running around.

"Excuse me good sir," gesturing at the halfling "if i might get something cold, wet, and if possible alcoholic i would be most appreciated."

Forgot to note that as of current i am in human form. Disgues check of (1d20+15)[24]

Stupid dice roller wont work with a d20 roll, anybody know how to fix? had to copy from a dice roller for this last one

Fireheart
2014-08-14, 08:25 AM
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/fireheart1974/1520548/76781/76781_original.jpg

Triel smiles at the half-drow and shrugs. "It wasn't me. This time. Hot...and bright." The drow crosses her arms and leans against the wall near the table. She nods to Bryce. "Bryce. Nice to see you made it. And with company?"

Hidden beneath the cloak, if one looks hard enough, one can see dark ebony skin and, rare for drow, blue eyes. Her pointed ears are pierced and dangle with jewels. Triel is tall and lithe. She wears a chain shirt of silvery material that seems to catch the light over leather pants and a rose colored shirt. A pair of matched shortswords hang from a belt at her hips and a dagger is strapped to her thigh.

Going on the assumption that Bryce and Triel know each other as well. Added a picture and thought some descriptions might help... I'm a visual person.

Grimtina
2014-08-14, 08:31 AM
"Cold wet and alcoholic," the halfling grins - he knows what that looks like. "Ale coming up, sir." And indeed, he's quick to serve you what looks to be a solid brew, fresh from the cool basement.

JusticeZero
2014-08-14, 10:12 AM
Bryce tightened her jaw some as the hunters question drifts over. ::Yes, this is Kahlindahl, a Paladin. Professional good influence, but I'm a bit too tall to even think about converting. He's got it in his head that there's something important here. I haven't the key, so you'll have to hear it from him, Holygirl stuff. I met him a couple towns back, ridiculous story.. But he's incredible at keeping the creepers away, and I feel safer with the company.. ::
::Hmmm. Whether to get food.. I'd hate to get a good drink just to leave it on the table running from some greenhand adventurer looking to get the first notch on their blade. :: She moved a bit on the seat, making sure the comforting weight of her smallbows was there hidden.
(Concealed weapons :[roll0])

Diachronos
2014-08-14, 11:30 AM
Serana pulled herself to her feet and started to head over to the bar counter upon hearing the halfling's announcement. Her companion followed close behind, though in the back of her mind she could hear his remarks about how keeping a low profile. Her response went back to him through their mental link.

"Honestly, Ries, sometimes I swear Father sent you along to be my babysitter, not my bodyguard."
"Then perhaps you should try to stay out of trouble for a change. There have already been more than enough instances of your lack of caution to warrant Lord Denth putting me back in the tombs. The incident with the nomads-"

She wheeled around to glare at her companion. "The shaman attacked me first!" At first she didn't realize that she's said it out loud, though she did when she found herself drawing stares from several of the other patrons.

Grimtina
2014-08-14, 11:59 AM
"Pardon me Miss?" the halfling says in confusion, not having really noticed them before. "You are ashamed about who's fist?"

Starbin
2014-08-14, 12:38 PM
Kahl nodded to the woman in front of him, bowing in response to her greeting. He is a well-built, lean halfling with an air of calm kindness about him. His sandy hair is in disarray, and his bright blue eyes peer out from under the mop. There is a faint scar across his right eye, which seems to have clouded it, but it doesn't seem to have lost focus. "As my lovely companion has already stated, I am Kahlindal. Kahlindal Bristleblott to be more precise, and apparently a paladin to boot." He smiled at Bryce gently, then continued. "However, I would hate for you to think my name and title are compensating for my lack of stature ... therefore, please call me Kahl. I am a simple servant of the Blessed One, Yondalla. I have heard of your goddess, and you strike me as an excellent representative of her tenets." He is clad in armor, but wears a surcoat with the symbol of a cornicopia on it, as well as a darkwood shield with the symbol carved across the front. He has a shortsword, openly worn on one side, and a quiver on the other.

Before he could continue, another woman slipped forward, greeting the two ladies he was with. With a raised eye, he looked to all three, realizing this was something of an omen ... three female drows in one place. He started to comment on the fact when he heard a loud demand for where the drow were hiding. Closing his mouth, he turned to look at the elf, then back at the women.

"This seems to be a fairly ominous portent ... three ladies of similar descent, and an ertswhile cousin to your kin demanding to know where you are. Is there something I should know, before the situation turns ... ugly?" His smile is genuine, but there is a glint of caution in his eyes ...

Sorry for the delay ... had to remember that we were travelling together, JZ! So onward and upward !

Grimtina
2014-08-14, 12:54 PM
(remember one of the drow is in disguise)

The door bangs open again, and a row of badly dressed halflings and a human enter, looking at the floor. "Couldn't go in at the back," the human mumbles apologetically. "Back door is broken again."

They rush to the back of the room and out of a door as quickly as possible, and no one spares them more than an annoyed glare.

JusticeZero
2014-08-14, 12:57 PM
::That's the question. I suppose we could just invite the fool over. He's going to be using his eyes in a minute once he finishes with his mouth, and then he'll probably say he was justified to wreck the place because we were *hiding* by sitting at a table..:: She sighs and makes a bit of a face.
::And here, I was hoping i'd get a chance to get something to eat without worrying it was poisoned.::

((Kahl knows who I am, and my disguise is just whiteface.))

Ellowryn
2014-08-14, 01:05 PM
"Hrm, apparently somebody was in a hurry" as he downs the Ale. "A most wonderful brew my good keeper. Is there a brewery nearby or is this imported? Also, another if you please!"

"And to my other short friend," Looking at Khal, "that depends on if being surrounded by many a beautiful woman would be considered a problem, and the situation could only get ugly if they are indeed in disguise!"

Grimtina
2014-08-14, 01:13 PM
Handing out another beer, the young halfling smiles. "It's an import indeed, from up north around Waterdeep. Small villages usually don't get that, but the merchant's team master has a thing for the lady in the manor, if you know what I mean. So he stays here every few months, and pays in ale and wine. Works for us."

Fireheart
2014-08-14, 01:33 PM
Triel spares a glance at the group of halflings and human who run through the taverns front door and then out the back. Her brow furrows. Well, I am not in disguise, she says quietly with a tug of the hood of her cloak, I just prefer to be more...subtle when in a strange area. She gives a sigh, I suppose you are right though. If we don't invite our surface cousin to speak with us, he is certain to put the worst spin on things.

Diachronos
2014-08-14, 04:34 PM
Posting from my phone, I'll go back and colorize the dialogue once I get home

Serana looked at the bartender, an embarrassed tint of red coloring her cheeks. "N-never mind, it's not important." She sat on one of the barstools and slid a couple of gold coins across to the halfling. "What sort of wine selection do you have?" Her annoyed expression changed to one that was both outgoing and apologetic, and she gave a brief, teeth-exposing grin to the bartender.

Grimtina
2014-08-14, 05:02 PM
"We have red, dark wines with different tastes of adventure, some a bit sour, some a bit bitter, and some a bitfruity, a light red one that makes you feel crazy when you drink too much, a very heavy almost black one making you think of nightly romance, sweet ice wine from far up north making you feel all sparkly, and a dry white wine that makes you wanna dance," he smiles. "Chupa, that's the owner of this place, knows them all with names, but I really only remember the look and the taste."

Diachronos
2014-08-14, 09:44 PM
"Hm... I think I'll try some of that ice wine." Her fingers drummed lightly on the pair of coins between herself and the halfling as she glanced around the common room, noticing the collection of elves scattered about. She hadn't been here long, but from what little she'd seen of the town it seemed to be mostly human, plus the halfling bartender and the halflings that had just filed into the back room.

"It seems like this place attracts a lot of unusual characters. Though I suppose I'm no exception, considering..." She trailed off, deciding to keep that bit of information to herself; her parents had warned her that those of her heritage tended to draw less than favorable attention when their nature was revealed. "Has anything of interest happened lately that would draw people in?" While she spoke, Ries maintained his silent vigil at her side, his attention divided between the light-skinned elf speaking about drow, the door that the ragtag group had exited through, and the room in general.

Grimtina
2014-08-14, 10:06 PM
"Not that I know of, except of Old Barson's funeral yesterday. A few of the relatives are still in around. Let me get that wine." Quickly, he vanishes down the basment stairs.

souffle_girl
2014-08-15, 04:25 AM
Something clicked in Rheas head as she kept staring at the boisterous elf.

"Oh, Goddess. Now I remember him. He was with a group of slaves Blynn and me freed last year. He just wouldn't quit thinking it was all some kind of elaborate ploy, he couldn't honestly believe we were going to let him go free," she sighed.
"We're here," Rhea said raising her voice to catch the elf's attention, "and don't fret. We have nothing to hide at all."

LtPowers
2014-08-15, 08:37 AM
Kilam walks into the village and nearly turns back around.

The place feels familiar. Too familiar. Yet he's never been here before. Calimshan is new to him; how can he have been here before?

He shakes off the odd feeling and seeks the tavern. The sun is getting to him, and his delicate elven skin is in danger of burning.

When he enters, the other patrons see a Sun Elf, archtypical in every way: golden hair, lightly bronzed skin, green eyes, wearing a light-colored traveling cloak, and carrying a longsword and bow. As his eyes adjust to the light, he looks around and hesitates, an odd look on his face. He nearly looks as if he's about to turn around and leave. Instead he takes a deep breath, furrows his brow, and walks slowly and deliberately toward the bar.

Kilam

Starbin
2014-08-15, 10:54 AM
Kahl raised an eyebrow to Rhea's statement, but he nodded to her as she moved to engage the loud elf. Kahl, heard a comment, and turned to see a man with a pole smiling. He considered a comment about the politeness of not eavesdropping, but instead choice to respond in an equally friendly manner. "Perhaps ... but trouble has a way of finding the ill-prepared. I simply do not wish to see a potentially volatile situation denegrate into violence over a ... misunderstanding. What is your name friend? I am Kahlindal." Kahl approached to keep the man engaged away from the table, his hand extended in greeting. As he neared the man, Kahl noticed a couply of odd things, most notably were whiskers that had been plastered to his face. His smile widened as he thought to himself, Speaking of disguises ...

I guess in the name of 'party gathering' we can stretch the fact that Ahran is engaged in conversation with both the barkeep AND the table of folks in the back w/o shouting :smallbiggrin:.

Oh, and [roll0]

EDIT: Heh ... didn't expect to see through your disguise ...

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 12:01 PM
Talreth looks over.
Ah, found you.
He squints at Rhea.
You look familiar dark one...

Ellowryn
2014-08-15, 12:37 PM
Ahran smiles "Violence is indeed not wanted, especially when it happens over something so simple", he pauses and bows, "my name is..." as he notices his arm, "ah one second" (Drops his Change Shape ability) "much better, as i was saying my name is Ahran, wanderer, fisherman, and occasional purveyor of the arcane arts. Well met Kahlindal!"

Wasn't really worried about anybody seeing through my disguise, but a +15 without any ranks is still nice.

souffle_girl
2014-08-15, 01:45 PM
"You have good eyes, unlike me. I was very different the first time we met. Ten moons ago, my mentor and me helped the lot of you take down the patrol holding you prisoners"

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 01:50 PM
Talreth's eyes bulge.
You! So you have embraced your heritage now, half breed? Unless I am mistaken, you were male when last we met.

Fireheart
2014-08-15, 02:05 PM
Triel holds herself ready when Rhea identifies the first elf as one she had helped rescue some moons ago. Sometimes the rescued do not forgive.

When he insults her, she steps forward from her place on the wall. "It's not nice to insult people," she says softly from within her cloak. She raises her eyes to meet the elf's. Bright blue flashes. "Her name is Rhea and you would do well to address her as such."

OOC: I think Triel is taking on the role of Rhea's not so subtle bodyguard. :) And somehow think she has her own issues to deal with when it comes to sun elves. No idea what they are.

souffle_girl
2014-08-15, 02:07 PM
"I was. My Goddess blessed me with this form and her magic, it is a honor to now be closer to her perfection." Rhea replied. "My name is Rhea now, and these are my companions Triel and Bryce from the sanctuary. And if you question our allegiance, the fact that Kahl, a holy paladin of Yondalla, is with Bryce should quell your fears."

Vhaidara
2014-08-15, 02:11 PM
Talreth's eyes flick to Kahl.
Perhaps, but I was sent here to investigate your activities. If you are here on honorable business, which I doubt, then you will not object to my accompanying you until your business here is accomplished.
He looks at the ground.
Besides, I still owe you for saving my life.

Starbin
2014-08-15, 02:38 PM
Kahl nodded to the kitsune. "Well met, Ahran. I wish you well in your wandering, but given what I have seen of this town, you will probably not find much by way of fishing. Now, if you'll excuse me for a moment, I think I should intervene, before the aforementioned 'ugliness' ensues. Perhaps we shall chat more later." Bowing slightly, Kahl made his way over to the growing confrontation. Smiling his infectuous smile, he nodded to all three.

"Now Lady Triel, fear not such words as half-breed ... it is somewhat of a misnomer, but not entirely inaccurate. I would never have time to rest if every time someone called me a halfling I took offense, for where I am not of a human's size, I am certainly NOT half a ling!" He grinned at the quip, then turned to the belligerent elf. "And you sir, would you accept my offer of hospitality? I am not particularly fond of your tone with my friends and acquaintences, but perhaps it is due to not knowing these nice ladies. Come, sit, and I shall vouch for your safety ... at least as far as these three are concerned. I cannot speak for any others in the room."

With a wink, Kahl pointed to the table, smiling the whole time.

I won't insult you with thinking a diplomacy check will change your mind ... but Kahl has a +9 modifier, so I think that marks him as fairly open and friendly. And if you're a Sense Motive kinda person, he doesn't appear to be trying to fool you (cuz ... well, I'm not :smallsmile:).

Diachronos
2014-08-15, 09:41 PM
Serana let out a small chuckle and sipped at her wine as she listened to the conversation between the elves. This sounded like a story worth listening to, and for a moment she was tempted to inquire about the details of their history. She decided against it, though; some things were better left alone. Prodding too deeply into things that weren't one's own business had a chance of causing problems, even more so when those involved didn't know each other.

She turned back to the halfling as something crossed her mind. "By the way, what was with the group that just came in and went to the back room? Are they regulars here?"

Grimtina
2014-08-16, 08:29 AM
Back to serving food, the halfling stops for a moment, slightly confused. "Oh," he brightens then. "The slaves. Farmer Sharyu aquired them a few months back from a slaver who intended to kill them because they couldn't walk the desert anymore. Can you believe that? Came for almost nothing, too. Slavery is so normal in this country you don't think about it anymore, but I still don't get why there aren't stricter laws about caring for them. My guess is when the three years of ownership duty is over we might simply have a few more citizens."

Fireheart
2014-08-16, 01:18 PM
Triel took Kahl's words to heart and nodded. "Fair enough. But not all of us are as Rhea, if you are going to travel with us, can you handle that?" She let the hood of her cloak fall behind, letting her full face be seen.

Triel's ear twitched as the bartender mentioned slaves.

JusticeZero
2014-08-16, 01:58 PM
Bryce slowly looked around at the faces of the others at the table at the mention of slaves and leaned back in her chair, Glancing over at Rhea, she idly played with her hands a bit.
<Drow Sign: 'Please don't start an action requiring a fighting extraction out of the bar again. I'm still hungry.'>

Starbin
2014-08-16, 02:58 PM
Kahl gazed at the woman, giving her the full weight of his attention as it might be warranted given the circumstances. For a moment, he stood solemnly, letting his gaze rest on each person in the inn, starting with those of dark elf heritage, then to the remainder of the patrons. Finally, he turned back to Triel, pausing with eyes narrowed. Then he grinned again, shaking his head.

"I apologize, but you apparently expected something more dramatic. If I had nothing else to go on than you were friends with Bryce, I would have treated you according to your actions. Yes, most drow have earned the reputation they have, but having met more than one that did not act completely selfishly has opened my eyes a bit."

Reaching over, he patted her arm, speaking softly for the ears of the elves gathered close, his face understanding and gentle. "My lady, the fact that both of your parents were drow make you no less worthy than anyone born on the surface. It simply means you've walked a harder path than most of us ever will, and for that I would be honored to call you friend."

With a grin, he continued speaking in his normal tone of voice. "Besides, who said I'm traveling with you? Perhaps you're traveling with me, to keep an eye on my agile fingers ... you know what they say about us halflings!" With a wink, he smiled, turning to see if the sun elf was going to accept his offer to sit.

souffle_girl
2014-08-16, 05:06 PM
Rhea smiled at the halfling. This little guy was already cheering the mood up, and easing the tension. Bryce always had a thing for choosing the right people to bring along.

"I won't deny that our people earned their reputation, but just because of that much good must be done to atone our sins. I don't expect you to take our word for granted; our actions will speak for us." Rhea simply told the elf.
"And sir, I'm sorry but I don't think I remember your name."

She then overheard the innkeeper talking about the poor condition of slaves here, and winced. If she only could free these people... but she had to remember she wasn't here for that. Freeing the slaves of Calimshan would need much larger resources that what she ever dreamed to possess.

Vhaidara
2014-08-16, 05:11 PM
Talreth looks dumbfounded at the half drow girl
You do not remember me? I am Talreth, legendary Elven blademaster and weaver of spells!

Diachronos
2014-08-16, 06:00 PM
Her eyes narrowed at the explanation of the group's appearance. "I knew the more savage and deplorable races practiced slavery, but to think that those who are supposed to be 'civilized' do so as well..." She set her wine glass down. "I've half a mind to to seek out their owner and have a word with him. At the very least they should be properly clothed and cared for!"

Ries' voice echoed in the back of her mind. "Strange how your family cares more for the corpses serving them than these people do about those who still draw breath..." She turned and gave a small scowl at the armored man, effectively silencing him.

JusticeZero
2014-08-16, 09:15 PM
::Yes.. I would hope that people would have more respect instead of thinking that they should be able to own other people. But I am disappointed a lot. ::
Bryce glanced at the door idly.
::So what can we do for you, Rhea? Is something wrong?::

Grimtina
2014-08-17, 09:08 AM
"Oh," says the young halfling, "I have come to accept that slavery is an everyday thing in Calimshan. I'm originally from A town not too far from Eltabbar, and I'm at least glad to be as far away from the Red wizards than possible now." He points at the backdoor where the slaves went through. "And really, they don't have it too bad compared to most others. They were a sorry lot when they came here, and one, an orc, didn't survive. Sharyu spent all his leftover healing magic from his adventurer days on them. Abandoning slavery in Calimshan is nigh impossible, methinks." His face gets dark for a moment. "I came here as cook for a slave caravan from Entabbar. The Red Wizards sell a lot of slaves to Calimshan. I took the chance to stay here, pretending I was strickien with a sort of whooping cough the area had back then."

Fireheart
2014-08-18, 08:09 AM
Triel couldn't help as a grin flittered across her face. The halfling had quite a sense of humor about him. And given Triel's limited, and usually negative, experience on the surface, she was a bit surprised to find him so welcoming.

She nodded and slid her hood back up, returning to her spot against the wall.

Vhaidara
2014-08-18, 10:58 AM
With a grin, he continued speaking in his normal tone of voice. "Besides, who said I'm traveling with you? Perhaps you're traveling with me, to keep an eye on my agile fingers ... you know what they say about us halflings!" With a wink, he smiled, turning to see if the sun elf was going to accept his offer to sit.

Talreth stares at the halfling in slight shock.
Yes, your people have a nasty reputation. How ever did Yondalla allow that to develop?

Starbin
2014-08-18, 11:07 AM
Kahl smiled gently. "I suppose much the same way Correllon allowed some of your kin to be known only for their arrogance and ego. Fortunately for the world, every race seems to have their exceptions to the norm, aye?" With a wave, he encompassed the assembled elves and himself, the grin never leaving his face. "Perhaps you prefer to stand while we discuss, but I have found that sitting often alleviates the formality of a situation. Would you please sit and join us?"

Vhaidara
2014-08-18, 11:12 AM
This halfling is really unnerving, but if he truly is a paladin...Wait...
How do I know you aren't just a dark elf trick? You seem to share their opinions on my noble kind.

Starbin
2014-08-18, 11:26 AM
Kahl raised an eyebrow. "You mean, like an illusion? Hmm ... I suppose you could disbelieve my presense, which you already seem to be working on. I could regal you with storeis about Yondalla, but unless you knew the truth, you would probably assume I was lying. I could ask you to trust me, but you seem to already have trust issue with ... well, pretty much everything from what I have seen thus far. Oh, I know ..."

Kahl paused for a moment, then detected evil on the entire area. "I have detected evil and apparently I am not. Nor are these ladies sitting with me. Nor are you, for that matter." Looking down at his surcoat and the shield sitting at the desk, both emblazoned with the symbol of Yondalla, he shrugged his shoulders. "Unfortunately, I am uncertain how to convince the unconvinceable ... or open that which you seem intent on keeping closed. I suppose you'll just have to make up your own mind. Regardless, I suggest you either join us, with trepidation if you like ... or find a table from which to scowl and glare ... or you could even stand there and glower. But I am going to return to talking with these ladies, and hope to return the conversation to something a little more polite and light-hearted."

With a bow, Kahl moved to return to his seat.

Vhaidara
2014-08-18, 11:33 AM
Tal glares at the halfling.
I'll be keeping an eye on you. But for now, I will trust your honor halfling.
He takes a seat next to the halfling.

Starbin
2014-08-18, 11:41 AM
Kahl nodded, then looked around the table. He was going to leave it be, but he couldn't help a bit of friendly fun. "Are you sure you have enough eyes? There are four of us. If you like, you can watch me and her, and I'll keep an eye on the other two ... but that leaves somebody out ... hmmm" After a few moments of thought, he smiled. "I've got it! These ladies can take turns keeping an eye on you! That way, no one can be accused of impropriety.

Now, since I have invited you to join us, what might I get you to eat and drink?"

Fireheart
2014-08-18, 11:44 AM
Triel watched the interplay between the halfling and the elf with interest. Catching Bryce's eye, she signed, ::I like halfling. Where did you find?::

souffle_girl
2014-08-18, 12:07 PM
"Things seem to have settled, then. You know, Bryce, I'm not sure myself why we are here. Only that I was... drawn, somehow," Rhea pondered the extent of her statement, realizing there was no real rational reason to have travelled here. "What an odd thing. I guess magic is in play here, but I'm not sure about what kind."

I cast Detect Magic. Spellcraft roll, if relevant:
[roll0]

JusticeZero
2014-08-18, 12:32 PM
<<A helped me excuse myself from one too many talentless bandits. Because retrieving a child's toy.>>
::It is a bit odd. I don't like how that sounds..:: She stands, frowning and looking around again. ::I'm ordering a start; I don't see anyone but the barkeep, and I don't think he'll make it this way anytime soon... Not with the pretty girl talking to him, at least.::

Grimtina
2014-08-18, 02:18 PM
Someone else makes her way into the Laughing Prince right then. At first, she seems nothing spectacular, a slightly bend over female in a olive green dress which fits her snugly and shows her female features well. There is a slight limp, but it is almost unnoticable. Her white hair frames a face shrouded with a dark grey veil covering her whole face. You have already noticed a lot of women and even several men prefaring to hide their faces; some tribes do it out of custom, others more to keep their skin out of the sun.

(perception checks)

Fireheart
2014-08-18, 02:24 PM
[roll0]

Triel looks smiles at Bryce describes her rescue and then glances up as someone else enters the bar.

Vhaidara
2014-08-18, 02:28 PM
Perception: [roll0]

Talreth also looks up as the newcomer enters.

JusticeZero
2014-08-18, 02:56 PM
[roll0]
Bryce nods at the bar and scans over the selection of edibles and drinkables available, nodding at the collection of unusual folk gathered there and flicking her eyes over the people around, sizing them up.

Ellowryn
2014-08-18, 03:21 PM
[roll0] yeah perception from an arcane caster, right....

Busy making smalltalk with just about anybody that will listen, he notices the entrance but sees nothing of importance and goes back to more of his fish stories.

souffle_girl
2014-08-18, 03:32 PM
Assuming she's close enough for Rhea to see her.
[roll0]

Grimtina
2014-08-18, 04:50 PM
The woman sits down at the table in the corner away from the door and proceeds to looks around without being too obvious.

15+ - the woman is trying to seize everyone in the inn up
20+ - she is younger than her hunched walk suggests
25+ the limp is fake
30+ it's a drow

Diachronos
2014-08-18, 05:09 PM
[roll0]
Will act on this once I get home from work

JusticeZero
2014-08-18, 06:33 PM
Bryce nods to the others at the bar.
::When you have a moment, can I get a starter tray for my table?::
She hmms. ::Interesting group of people here, today..::

Grimtina
2014-08-18, 08:31 PM
"Coming up!" the halfling shouts, and a moment later, he apears with a huge tray laden with bread, butter, cheese and ham and the watered down herb-plum juice so common in this area. He's almost invisible behind everything.

Diachronos
2014-08-18, 09:22 PM
Serana turned to watch the halfling carry the tray off, when her eyes fell on the veiled newcomer. Something seemed off about her, as if she was eyeing her and everyone else in the room. The hunched seemed off, until she realized that, by the person's build and slightly limping gait, the person appeared too young to have that kind of posture; was it something she was faking, or had something happened to her that forced her to walk like that?

A glance outside through the window showed that it was still bright out. While she was wanting to continue on her journey, staying here until nightfall seemed like a better idea. At least that way she could avoid the blinding sun when she set out. That meant finding something to distract herself... and what better way than to strike up a conversation with the other obvious travelers in the tavern?

She stood and casually wandered over toward the table of elves, passing a few more coins and an order for a round of ice wine to the bartender when he started to head back to the counter. "Pardon me, but would there happen to be room for one more here?"

JusticeZero
2014-08-18, 10:05 PM
Bryce looks at the elf at the bar and pauses. ::You.. look lost. Is something the matter?::

LtPowers
2014-08-19, 07:14 PM
Kilam indeed looks lost. In thought, in location, and perhaps even in time. His attention at last focuses on the (apparent) Teu-Tel-Quessir in front of him. "My apologies if I've disturbed you, m'lady," he says in courtly Elvish. "This place seems odd to me. Odder than it should for a lonely tavern in an empty village in Calimshan. And when one considers the extremely unusual distribution of races on display, one naturally gets the feeling that something..." He switches to the Common tongue: "something is up" -- then back to Elvish -- "as the humans say."

He gestures for the Halfling bartender. "Wine, if you please. Something Elven if you have it," he requests in Common.

Kilam

Grimtina
2014-08-19, 07:40 PM
"Oh yes, we have elven wine. Blossomsweet or Greewind?" he asks, producing small bottles ow pinkish white and greenish white wine. "We also have Deervalley red, but I was told it's best for taking with food and not alone."

LtPowers
2014-08-19, 08:52 PM
"Oh yes, we have elven wine. Blossomsweet or Greewind?" he asks, producing small bottles ow pinkish white and greenish white wine. "We also have Deervalley red, but I was told it's best for taking with food and not alone."

Kilam blinks as he's forced to divert his attention. "Deervalley is fine, good chap. Bring a hearty bread and some greens to accompany, if you would. Oh -- and whatever m'lady would care for, of course."

Kilam

JusticeZero
2014-08-19, 09:25 PM
::If there's a local effervescent short mead like the Garrisburg, I miss those. I don't expect you'd actually have any Garrisburg, since it doesn't travel or store well. Caramel if there's a variety.::
She turns back to Kilam and murmured back in faintly accented common Elvish. <Elven> I'd noticed a bit of the strange, yes. We were pondering it over at our table, if you wanted to join us. And no, you haven't disturbed me at all.>> She smiles and drifts back toward her seat at the table.

Grimtina
2014-08-20, 03:25 AM
As the halfling hands out the ordered goods, he nods. "We'd have a much larger variety, but a lot of things either don't store well or can't be transported without most of it spoling. But ah, that gives one reason to travel every once in a while to sample the foods of other places, no?"

The woman who had recently entered waves and the halfling quickly hurries over.

souffle_girl
2014-08-20, 04:31 AM
Rhea took in the woman that walked over to their table.

"Feel free to join. My name is Rhea, priestess of the Dark Lady. And who are you and your companion?"

Diachronos
2014-08-20, 09:58 AM
"I am Serana Telleas. My companion's name is Ries." She sat down in one of the empty chairs, with Ries stepping up behind her. "Don't mind his silence, he's always had a sort of grave seriousness about him." She tried not to laugh when she felt the armored man's eyes upon her.

"Is my hearing going bad, or did you really just make that joke?"

Starbin
2014-08-20, 10:47 AM
Kahl stood politely as the lady approached the table, nodding to her as introductions were made. "Good day to you, my lady. Join us and be welcome, as well as your companion." He eyed the companion, who stood protectively near the woman, hand constantly hovering near his(?) weapon.

"But perhaps your bodyguard might do us all a favor and not twitch so much at every movement ... afterall, you chose to join us." Smiling, he gestured to the table for a seat, remanining standing until the lady had sat down.

Fireheart
2014-08-20, 11:48 AM
Triel looks over the newcomers. She nods to the lady's companion given his role seems similar to the one she has taken on for Rhea.

JusticeZero
2014-08-20, 12:37 PM
Bryce followed the food back to the table.
She smiles and pulls out a chair for the elf at the bar, then finds her seat again, listening and making sure she can see the rest of the bar.

LtPowers
2014-08-20, 06:49 PM
Kilam acknowledges the "silver" elf's invitation with a smile, but demurs. This situation is still brewing, and he feels the need to remain apart from whatever is about to proceed... at least for the time being.

Besides which, immersing himself in that table full of ... sheer beauty ... all at once could render him a babbling moron.

Kilam

Diachronos
2014-08-20, 08:53 PM
Serana chuckled and gave a dismissive wave to Ries. "Don't mind him, he's just doing his job. My father sent him along as my bodyguard, and he takes the job seriously." She popped a small piece of cheese into her mouth. "I can't say I don't appreciate Father's concern for my well-being, but I wish he hadn't chosen one of his most paranoid retainers for the job."

Grimtina
2014-08-21, 03:33 AM
Right then, the halfling approaches the table, his face as red as his hair from doing everything alone. "Pardon me, but the lady over there gave me this message for you." He lifts up an envelope and points ot the corner where the limping woman had been, but by now, she was gone.

JusticeZero
2014-08-21, 11:48 PM
Bryce looks over at Rhea and blinks at the sudden silence at the table.
::Well. Let's see what the mystery Drow lady had to say, then?::
Being closest, she takes the envelope and turns it over in her hands to examine it, before looking around the others at the table.
[roll0]

Grimtina
2014-08-22, 02:49 AM
The paper is of the finest making, but it has been reused - the former message, probably a shopping list, has been scratched off.

"Greetings strangers,

as I can see, you have found each other's company already, which is good. You probably wonder what brought you here. I can shed light on it - it was me. I need assistance I cannot get in these parts of the world, so I arranged for people of strout heart and similar goals to come to me.

I would be pleased if you would meet me at the manor tomorrow night, where I am a guest of the Lady Dalain. Food and drink will, of course, be available.

Amara Lusial"

Starbin
2014-08-22, 08:56 AM
Kahl nodded to Serana, a somewhat bemused look on his face, but he didn't say anything. When the halfling rushed over with a note, he stared at it for a moment, then laughed as Bryce finally reached for it and opened it. "To think that something as simply as a mysterious message from a woman pretending to be something she is not would give THIS table pause ... how rich!"

He waited patiently for Bryce to either read it aloud, or pass it around. Once he heard the message, he raised an eyebrow. "It seems we have an invitation. I wonder what mystical means she used to gather this esteemed assemblage of ... unique ... personalities.

If you will excuse, I will leave you all to your best behavoir for a moment ... I cannot stand idly by while our presence creates such discord."

With a grin, Kahl stacks his gear in the corner and slips off his gauntlets before rushing over to help the halfling deal with the increased volume of the inn.

Diachronos
2014-08-22, 10:04 AM
Serana seemed to brighten upon hearing what was in the message. After such a long trek across the desert, it would be nice to have a chance to mingle with nobility instead of keeping to herself to avoid scaring the locals. Not that this place seemed to be that bad, from what she'd seen so far, but the option would be a nice change of pace.

Grimtina
2014-08-22, 10:28 AM
"Oh, thank you," the halfling sighs. "Corian, that is the half-elf usually helping me this time of day, should have been here since a while but I suppose everyone can be late once in a while!"

Fireheart
2014-08-22, 11:15 AM
Triel nodded upon learning the contents of the letter. "Well, that certainly explains quite a bit."

She reaches over and with a raised eyebrow for permission, break off a piece of bread. "An interesting collection, indeed, she has gathered."

souffle_girl
2014-08-22, 11:26 AM
"Good. I'm aching for an explanation about this summoning. Now excuse me for a moment," Rhea calls for the bartender, "Please, give those unfortunate slaves a nice meal and a place to sleep, my treat."

Starbin
2014-08-22, 12:34 PM
Kahl patted his fellow halfling on the back. "Think nothing of it, my friend. My family owned an inn, and there have been a couple of nights where I was the lone wolf manning the floor, so I can appreciate the hard work you do ... and how just a hand can help." Smiling, he followed the halfling, looking around.

"I only have two questions ... first, I apologize if I missed it, but what is your name? Second, where would you like me to start, the kitchen or the bar?"

Let's go with taking 10 on both Diplomacy (19 total) and PS: Innkeeper (15) ...

Ellowryn
2014-08-22, 09:05 PM
Having heard the message read aloud, ahran ponders upon it for a moment.

"Yes indeed, that may explain why i have found myself about as far from any sizable body of water as is possible. Unfortunate as that is, i am intrigued by this whole situation and would be glad to offer my assistance to you fine ladies and stouthearted halfling in whatever business this ends up being."

Grimtina
2014-08-23, 06:17 AM
"My name is Danael," the halfling smiles, "and I..." Then he hears the call for feeding the slaves and putting them up. "As you wish," grins. "On my way.... and I guess that leaves the bar for you right now, there's a map of sorts stuck to the table as to where to find everything. That," he adds, "was my idea because the half-ogre helping out at times never can remember a thing."

LtPowers
2014-08-23, 08:51 AM
If Kilam -- the Sun Elf at the bar -- took notice of the letter's contents when they were read aloud, he makes no indication. Whether his sensitive Elven ears are just not quite sensitive enough to pick up the conversation, or if he's otherwise distracted by other sensory inputs, it's impossible to say.

Kilam

JusticeZero
2014-08-24, 05:26 PM
::Hmm.. So how soon are we going?::

Fireheart
2014-08-25, 08:02 AM
Triel finally gave in and pulled a chair from another table to sit slightly behind Rhea. "It seems that our invitation is for tomorrow evening; perhaps we best find lodging for tonight and plan to meet as the sun sets tomorrow? I, for one, would not mind a night's rest in a bed."

Starbin
2014-08-25, 02:59 PM
Kahl bowed his head. "Pleased to meet you, Danael. I am Kahlindal, but you can call me Kahl."

Stepping up to the bar, he took a few moments to acquaint himself with the layout then started working on filling drink requests, including the sun elf who kept glancing over at the others. "Hail and well met, sir. I'm Kahl, and I'm helping Danael out for a bit ... can I refill your beverage? You'll have to pardon me if I take a moment to find the bottle, but it won't take but a minute.

You don't strike me as a local. What brings you to town?"

Gotta get the other PC in the mix :smallbiggrin:

LtPowers
2014-08-25, 03:59 PM
"I'm not sure, really," replies the Elf. He speaks Common, but his accent is distinctly Elven, almost (but not quite) comically so. He drains his glass but his gestures make clear he doesn't need a refill. "Looking for a place where I can make myself useful, without making things worse. Why here? I can't say. It seemed like a good idea at the time... I suppose I could ask the same of you. A knight of Yondalla? With some very unusual traveling companions?"

Kilam

Diachronos
2014-08-25, 09:29 PM
Serana chuckled and sipped at her wine as she watched the halfling paladin. "Your friend seems a little odd, though considering he's friends with a number of drow women I suppose he fits into the group nicely." Realizing that what she'd said could be taken in a way she hadn't intended, she set down her glass. "Not that Ries and I are much different, of course. He and I are..." She grinned, allowing the others a brief glimpse of her fangs "Well, let's just say that his kind and mine both have a poor reputation among the general populace."

Starbin
2014-08-25, 10:35 PM
Kahl raised an eyebrow, giving the table of his companions a glance before appraising the sun elf with a wry look. "Unusual? Eh ... I suppose. More like understanding, in a way you might no expect. But you say that something brought you here, hmmm? Curiouser and curiouser ... it seems that my companions and I also felt drawn to this place, and now we are to dine with Lady Dalain tomorrow night at her manor.

Perhaps you should join us? It seems a bit too coincidental that so many outsiders would arrive 'drawn' to this small town and not be connected."

... and ready to press whenever y'all want.

LtPowers
2014-08-26, 08:28 AM
"Oh, no," protests the Elf. "I could never attend a formal event without an invitation. I may be an adventurer but I'm not a barbarian."

Kilam

Starbin
2014-08-26, 11:07 AM
Kahl shrugged his shoulders. "I think what I have proferred counts as an invitation, formal or not ... however, to be clear, I believe you are probably invited based on the wording of the invitation. However, you might wish to go to the table over there and read it for yourself.

It invites those who have been 'called' here ... and I would think you qualify. Of course it is up to you!"

With a smile, Kahl moved down the bar to another patron. "Mornin' neighbor, how are you? What can I get you?"

JusticeZero
2014-08-27, 01:05 PM
Bryce hmmms. ::He's charming, and he has a good sense for people. He keeps me out of trouble. What do you do to stay out of trouble, usually?:: She sips her drink and scans the people around again, taking a piece of food.

Diachronos
2014-08-28, 10:41 AM
"Not much, aside from keeping my fangs hidden and Ries keeping his armor on." She plucked a small hunk of bread from the platter. "Of course, my particular craft tends to draw the wrong kind of attention, so I have to be careful about where I practice it."

"You could stand to be more careful at times, Lady Serana. I'd prefer to not have a repeat of Windshear." The armored figure actually spoke this time, and his voice had an echoing, almost ethereal quality to it.

Fireheart
2014-08-28, 02:01 PM
Triel listens as the others talk. Watching. Her eyes widen slightly at the sight of fangs, but given how people are quick to judge the unknown, she keeps her thoughts to herself.

OOC: Nothing like playing a character who doesn't talk much...I'm here but don't have much to input at the moment.

Grimtina
2014-08-28, 02:27 PM
The evening passes amiable, just Danael begins to worry about the no-show of his usual helper.

Rooms are cheap and near perfect - except for the howl of one stupid dog or the other which tends to wake those with light sleep.

The next morning dawns as cool as it does out in the desert, but it is clear even from the inside that there would be a lot of heat later on. The common room is tended by a really fat dwaf woman today, who is waddling around bringing tea and coffee and hot milk with and without spices, while the aroma of fried eggs and fresh bread begin to drift from the kitchen.

Starbin
2014-08-28, 02:44 PM
Kahl thank Danael for the opportunity to hone his skills again. "Twas' a blast, my friend ... but I do not envy your profession. I apologize if my prices were not completely accurate, but as I was uncertain of your standard rates, I took some liberties. Least you be found delinquint, here are some coins to make up my likely mistakes ..." With a smile, Kahl handed over a pile of coins

50 gold to cover any cheap drinks Kahl inadvertantly gave out :smallsmile:

The next morning, he rose, got cleaned up and went downstairs to join the others. After ordering breakfast, he asked the dwarven woman where the mansion was ...

Grimtina
2014-08-28, 06:34 PM
"Ah, can't miss it," she says happily. "Just go through the gate and you'll se it sitting right there. Big wste of space, if you ask me, but then, we haven't even build all the houses we were supposed to build. Not many folks want to live out here."

Diachronos
2014-08-28, 09:35 PM
Serana let out a yawn as she came down the stairs, her hair sticking up in places from when she'd woken up. Despite her hair's unkempt appearance, her clothes appeared to be in fine shape, as if someone had taken the time to clean and press them before she'd put them on. Ries was close behind her, silent but with what she felt as a judging look at the back of her head. She brushed off the notion, though; he always nagged her about how a "proper lady" would do this or that, and her usual response was to point out that not having to deal with the strictures of high society were one of the reasons she'd left home.

She sat down at the table that Kahl had seated himself at, sitting across from the halfling.

Grimtina
2014-08-29, 03:57 AM
"So," the dwarf asks as she brings the "all included" breakfast, obviously very curious. "Why would you want to go to the mansion? The Lord and Lady are away in one big city or the other again. Are you related to that friend of theirs who is using the place right now? You sure have some noble aura around you."

Fireheart
2014-08-29, 07:33 AM
Triel rises and after splashing a bit of water on her face and tucking her hair back into a braid, dresses. Recognizing the day is going to be hot, she foregoes her cloak and hopes that the town is amiable enough to a dark elf wandering around.

Walking downstairs, she spots Kahl and Serena at a table. "May I join you?" she asks, and then covers her mouth, hiding a yawn. "Dang Dog."

Starbin
2014-08-29, 11:20 AM
Nodding to the 'Lady' Serana, Kahl rose as she joined him ... and pretty much for anyone else that arrived. When the dwarf asked about the manor, he smiled, glancing at Serana's hair, her quiet companion, and the yawning Triel. "Oh, verily ... noble of heart, if not profession. But you, dear lady, hold the noblest profession of all, for a life lived in service to others is the only life worth living, yes?" His smile, and belief in what he was saying, was genuine, and he patted her hand kindly.

souffle_girl
2014-08-31, 03:36 AM
When Rhea arrived in the inn's main room, she found the same group as yeasterday already awake. She sat next to Kahl and nodded a greeting to everyone.

"Good morrning, I hope you slept well."

Grimtina
2014-08-31, 07:40 AM
The dwarf nods enthusiastically. "I couldn't think of myself sitting around not serving others, especially in this fine inn," she laughs. More food coming right up.

JusticeZero
2014-08-31, 07:03 PM
Bryce comes wandering down, a bit sluggishly and a bit damp from washing up. ::Good morning.. Did anything else happen while I was asleep?::

Grimtina
2014-09-01, 06:29 AM
Just on que for the question, a bedraggled looking half-elf enters. His light red hair is a mess, there is dirt and dry grass in it and all over his wrinled green-and-blue clothes, a hole torn in the fabric over his knees, which seem to have been bleeding, too. A nasty bump is on his left forehead, and he seems to be crosseyed on top of it. Stumbling to the nearest table, he falls down on a chair.

"Corian!" the dwarf shouts and rushes over. "Danael was all worried about you. Seems he was right. "What happened?"

"Water," Corian croaks, barely able to speak, and the woman hurries off to get some.

souffle_girl
2014-09-01, 06:36 AM
Rhea immediately stands up and reaches for the newcomer.

"Are you hurt? What happened?"

Grimtina
2014-09-01, 07:11 AM
"Ah," the half-elf tries to explain, after drinking some water. "Curious thing, that. I was walking in from the eastern fields, trying to get here in time to start my shift. Was a little late so I was walking quickly, and then, when I turned onto the street, I heard thundering hooves nearby and when I turned around ride and horse were upon me, but they didn't stop! No, they rode me into the ground, the bastard in the saddle didn't even look back! None of the citizens here, either, the horse was dark with a white head. We do not have any horse like that here." He massages his head. "Woke up about half an hour ago, I guess I can be glad to be alive."

Vhaidara
2014-09-01, 09:45 AM
Talreth looks at the half elf with a look of dry amusement.
Maybe the drow have learned to breed their profane coloration into their horses.

Diachronos
2014-09-01, 03:02 PM
Serana came over to sit in the chair next to the half-elf that had come in. "This rider who ran into you... did you happen to catch any distinct features about him other than his horse's coloration? Anything that could be used to identify him?" As she waited for the man to answer, she glanced over to Ries. "Go check with the gate guards to see if any of them saw anything, if the rider's not in town anymore they might at least know what direction they went." Ries nodded and headed out the door, still clad in his armor and seemingly oblivious to the rising heat.

souffle_girl
2014-09-01, 03:19 PM
"Drow don't ride horses in the sunshine," Rhea snapped, giving Talreth a hard glare, made weird by her scarred eyes.
"Now relax, I'm going to heal you," She then told the half-elf.

Rhea casts Cure Light Wounds on the man.

Vhaidara
2014-09-01, 03:29 PM
Talreth scowls at Rhea
So what do they ride in the sunshine? Spiders?

JusticeZero
2014-09-01, 03:36 PM
Bryce rolls her eyes. ::Can you imagine riding a horse in a cave? Those things are huge. And they eat a lot of grass. Hmmm, eastern fields..:: She absently points to the east, thinking. ::What else is that way?::

souffle_girl
2014-09-01, 05:08 PM
Talreth scowls at Rhea
So what do they ride in the sunshine? Spiders?

Rhea smirked mischievously.
"Drow don't ride in the sunshine, period. Now, in a cave... Spiders, yes. Trust me, you don't want one of those things creeping on a wall behind your back. One of them nearly got me once."

Ellowryn
2014-09-01, 06:14 PM
"Perhaps you should invest in making some better pest repellant, you could make a fortune down there it appears!" Ahran said with a large toothy grin before going back to his snack and drink.

LtPowers
2014-09-01, 06:15 PM
Kilam emerges from his room dressed and with all of his equipment, appearing much the same as he did the night before. He'd briefly taken a look at the letter and decided that Kahl was right. Perhaps he had been summoned here. But why all the drow?

The drow still made him visibly nervous, though it would take an insightful eye to divine the precise reason. It didn't appear to be the usual.

He observes the ministrations and activity going on this morning with detached interest. The half-elf's fate is in competent hands, and the assailant is no doubt long gone by now, so he waits patiently until his skills are needed... or the Dwarf starts serving breakfast again.

Kilam

Grimtina
2014-09-02, 04:21 AM
The man thanks you for the healing. "The rider was hooded, but I hink it was a smaller person. Dwarf or small human, probably, But it happened all so very fast."

Fireheart
2014-09-02, 07:59 AM
Triel rises and glances at Rhea, "Should we check out the area? There may be a clue left as to this one's assailant." She pauses..."How close is that to the Manor?" she asks curiously.

JusticeZero
2014-09-02, 12:14 PM
Bryce absently points across the room. ::Manor is that way. It's all walled in with a gate. Looked pretty quiet. ::

souffle_girl
2014-09-02, 04:00 PM
"That seems a sound idea. Go ahead and check the place out, Triel, with my broken eyes I wouldn't be of much use in investigating." Rhea replied, turning to the half-elf again. "Do you feel better now? My name is Rhea."

Diachronos
2014-09-02, 04:09 PM
Ries headed to the eastern gate of the town and got the attention of one of the guards. "One of the local half-elves was run down by a passing rider within the past day. The half-elf said that he was coming from the eastern fields when it happened, but the only thing he mentioned was that the rider's horse was black with a white head. Did anybody on duty see such a rider?"

Starbin
2014-09-03, 01:50 AM
Kahl had not said much, trying to assess the truths of what had happened. However, when the others began to rally, ready to investigate and hunt down the criminal, he chuckled a bit. Standing and patting the half-elf on the shoulder, he looked at his companions. "And what, pray tell, will you do when you find this person? The rider made a mistake, but no one was killed ... and our friend here is now healed, free of charge and with a tale to regale customers and his children for years to come! Do we go to force an apology? Or demand reparations for injuries that no longer exist? Perhaps to demand he be more safe in the future? I agree that I would have words with such a man or woman were they here, but hunting him down based on the failure to notice a traveler on the road is hardly an offense that requires a man-hunt ... unless I am missing something else here?"

Sorry, but I'm not sure how this is 'investigation worthy' unless we are either a) bored, or b) looking for a reason to follow Grimtina's bread crumbs :smallsmile:. Interesting information and certainly clues for the mystery pot, but I'm trying to think what we'd do with him/her once we found him. "Say you're sorry!" "Uh, sorry." "Well then ... be more careful!"

None of us are police, and I'm not sure what medieval crime has been committed, aside from inattention and rudeness. Unless he was scribing or sending while driving and they ban that here :smallbiggrin: ...

Grimtina
2014-09-03, 04:38 AM
"Thank you Rhea, I feel all better now." The half-elf smiles. "There should be a law to put lanterns on horses at night, especially black ones."

The guards look at each other. "We have indeed seen such a rider," one says. "Very rude person, came riding out of the village without greeting or even stopping, very much in a hurry. What's stranger, none of us remembers him or her riding in, and that horse was very distinctive. We made a report to the sheriff but she seems little interested. Nothing's been stolen or damaged, but with what you say, we will sure watch out if we see that individual again."

Fireheart
2014-09-03, 07:33 AM
Triel nods and starts off in the direction of the eastern fields. As she walks the streets, she looks for any signs left by the hurrying rider. She also keeps an eye on the villages expressions as she walks.

Perception Check
[roll0]

LtPowers
2014-09-03, 09:04 AM
Kilam speaks up when Kahl makes his queries. "If I may... I think we all are a little 'on edge', so to speak. It's only natural that any unusual occurrence would catch our eyes, as it may be a clue as to why we are all here. Obviously, it's highly unlikely that any given occurrence would be related, but the mind does seek patterns even where there are none to see."

He smiles slightly. "Of course, one could also describe this incident as a nigh-deadly assault upon a citizen's person; while it may have been an accident, it's also prudent to determine if it might have been deliberate."

Kilam

Grimtina
2014-09-03, 10:04 AM
The evidence of the incident is still on the streets - the ground is disturbed where rider and pedestrian collided, and a trail ration has spilled and opened, maybe from a saddlebag.

In the inn, more people have come and gathered around the unlucky half-elf, everyone wanting to hear the story again. For a while the dwarf will be very busy.

Fireheart
2014-09-03, 12:32 PM
Not that she expected it to mean much, Triel picked up the trail rations back and the scattered contents. She heads back to the inn.

Upon her return, seeing the crowd around the half-elf, she picks a table in the corner and catches Rhea's eye to let her know she is back.

Starbin
2014-09-03, 02:01 PM
Kahl nodded, a merry glint in his eyes. "Well, I'm not quite sure why everyone is on edge, except our friendly, drow-hating elf friend there ... however, if that is the case, so be it. Of course, it still seems we are looking for a reckoning from a person who failed to notice a late employee, rushing out from the fields and across a road at night. Aside from demanding that all late night riders possess some sort of night vision, I find the entire situation more comical than conspiratorial.

But I supose I'm a trusting sort of guy!"

Speaking of which, better do a Sense Motive on our half-elf and see if someone is actually telling the full truth [roll0] ... just in case :smallsmile:

Grimtina
2014-09-03, 02:02 PM
He appears to be truthful

Diachronos
2014-09-04, 09:02 PM
Ries bowed in thanks and returned to the tavern, joining Serana in one corner as the half-elf was assailed by locals interested in hearing the story. He relayed the information to the woman and followed her when she went to join the other travelers who'd been present upon the half-elf's arrival.

"It seems the guards are aware of the rider's departure, but nobody saw him arrive, and the reports they've file with the sheriff were pretty much brushed off. Ries says that the gate guards said they'll keep an eye out for the rider after what happened to Corian, so we might have another chance to find out more about him if he shows up again." She laced her fingers together and rested her elbows on the table, letting her chin rest on her folded hands. "The halfling may be right, though. Unless this rider's done more than just knock a man to the ground in his haste, there's not much for us to do about it. Then again, we may want to ask about the situation while at the manor tonight... perhaps our mysterious host will know a thing or two about all of this."

Grimtina
2014-09-09, 03:22 AM
With the situation as cleared up as it can be, the rest of the day seems to pass rather slowly. Finally, the sun is making its way towards the horizon again. The heat of the day turns into the cool, soon to be cold, of night as you make your way into the village proper and to the mansion.

The first thing you notice is the lack of servants. For a manor this big, even in a village, one would expect at least a maid, a cook and a butler of sorts, or, given the country you are in, a few slaves. The one expecting you in front of the large doors, though, looks to be the stable girl, with hay and straw in hair and clothes and a smell of horses and camels around her. "Lady is waiting inside," she says happily. "Just go through the hall into the dining room."

Starbin
2014-09-09, 06:34 PM
It seemed that the investigative spirit everyone had developed waned over the course of the day, and by evening, the focus was on this mysterious invitation to the manor, vice finding this wild, albeit rude and unsafe, rider. When they arrived, Kahl smiled in greeting to the young lady at the door. Bowing his head, he nodded in response to her direction. "So we simply proceed this way, yes? I am Kahlindal Bristleblott and I give you my deepest thanks, Miss ...?" He let the question hang, waiting for her name in return.

Grimtina
2014-09-09, 09:06 PM
"Tara," she giggles. "I'm just the stable girl though. No need to thank me for anything, but it's nice that you do. Yes please, just proceed, I am sure there is nice food because I could smell it from behind the house earlier."

Fireheart
2014-09-10, 10:29 AM
After spending the day mostly aimlessly, Triel follows the others through town and into the manor house that evening.

Her eyes are constantly moving taking in her companions, the house and as much detail as she manage.

[roll0]

Ellowryn
2014-09-10, 02:52 PM
Also following along, Ahran hums yet another strange unidentifiable tune and upon meeting the 'door maid' bows deeply "Hello my fair lady, Ahran, Wanderer Extraordinaire at your service. It can only mean good things when the one who greets you at the door is a lovely as you!" Raising, he smiles warmly before lightly stepping into the hallway "Unfortunately you will have to excuse me for now as we seem to have business with someone from this house, but i look forward to meeting you again lady Tara." And with that he moves off into the manner after the halfling towards the dinning room.

LtPowers
2014-09-10, 04:06 PM
Kilam treats the situation as he does everything: with suspicion. Not a malicious sort of suspicion, but more of a general sense of wariness, perhaps borne from experience. He acknowledges the stable girl with a nod, but enters the building in silence.

He has left his bow and quiver behind at the tavern, though a flash of steel is still visible under his cloak.

Kilam

Grimtina
2014-09-11, 10:53 AM
Triel notices something really odd - there are as good as no personal knick-knacks around, as you would expect in such a building. Not even wall hangings, asides from a new looking flower scene, or vases, and the two cabinets in the entrance hall, probably for coats and cleaning utensils, smell like mothherbs and smoke- While everything is spotlessly clean, it also appears sterile.

The entrance hall is large, with two big cabinets and wide stairs going up wardto the right. It looks like once there was a matching set of stairs on the left, but they must have been removed for some reason, which makes the servant entrance/exit to the kichens and their chambers unusually visible. The marble floor is polished to mirror your shoes. The doors right ahead, under the stairs, are wide open and the scent of fresh fried meat and other food drifts out to you.

Starbin
2014-09-11, 11:29 AM
Kahl bowed to Tara as well, then proceeded to follow her directions. Walking through the house, he was impressed by how clean it was - if Tara were the only 'servant' then she was very good at her job! Upon reaching the double doors, he proceeded through, eyes ever open for signs of their host.

Fireheart
2014-09-11, 12:18 PM
Triel steps up beside Rhea and whispers. "Interesting. Nothing here speaks to the owner. It is all new. Whoever she is...she hasn't been here long."

souffle_girl
2014-09-12, 05:40 AM
Rhea showed up at the manor perfectly dressed, with her sword gracefully hanging for her shoulders in its ornate scabbard. She didn't mean to offend, but the sword was as holy to her as the symbol engraived on her forehead.

She gently smiled at the stable girl, then followed the others in, and Triel made her comment.
Rhea immediately noticed what she was talking about.

"I know what you mean. Do you think this place is just a facade?" she wispered back, in drow language.

Fireheart
2014-09-12, 08:20 AM
Triel nods. "I do. I think this just seemed like a convenient location. I find it out that the Lady would only have a stable girl as a servant. Something doesn't feel right."

Triel knew she was probably being overly cautious but a magical summons that pulled a handful of drow, some elves, a vampire, a walking, talking fox and a halfling together was more than just minor magic.

I hope i didnt miss any one!

Grimtina
2014-09-12, 04:19 PM
The large roombehind the double doors usually serves as a ballroom, as is evident my the pedestrals for the bards and bands and the intricate pattern on the hardwood floor. Today, there is a long table placed right in the middle, and magic is afloat with unseen servants (or nearly unseen, in this case, as they all carry different colored scarfs) going about putting all sorts of foods on the table. It really smells delicious.

The host sits at the far end of the table, her face covered by a thin veil of blueish-grey material that seems to move on its own. "Welcome," a melodic voice says. "Very nice of you to follow the invitation of an unknown minor noble. Pardon the location, but we had an unfortunate mishap in the dining room recently."

JusticeZero
2014-09-12, 06:36 PM
Bryce looks around quietly, not casing the place out with a burglars eyes. Okay ,she's looking around thinking of what is in the place and how one might break in. Not because she plans to, but because she was taught to. The sparseness is noted along with the powerful magic. Her clothes are still for traveling, albeit a bit cleaner than yesterday. She comes armed with one of her crossbows strapped to her thigh, a bolt case on her belt.
::A.. Mishap? That sounds ominous. Was this before or after you manipulated us to coming here? I will say that I would have preferred something more traditional. A letter, maybe.:; Maybe a bit less than diplomatic, but wouldn't complete acceptance be a bit suspicious?
1d20+9

Diachronos
2014-09-12, 09:12 PM
Serana walked with her hands clasped behind her back, her stride that of a noble. Her attire didn't quite match up to the gait, though; while it was well-made and clean, it was still a travelling outfit. The only things that marked her out as having wealth were the pair of rings on her right hand, one bearing her family crest, and the white cloak that also bore the emblem. Ries trailed along behind her, his hand resting lightly on the hilt of his sheathed sword - perhaps the most relaxed-looking he'd been since arriving at Hamshin.

She gave a smile and a thanking gesture to Tara as she entered, though the look on her face upon seeing the inside of the manor was one of, for the lack of a better word, disappointment. She'd been expecting a larger gathering of people to be present at such a large place. The ballroom impressed her, though; even with the lack of people, the magical servants and the large variety of food presented on the table were a sight to see.

Grimtina
2014-09-14, 07:11 AM
"Thew mishap," the host explains, "is the reason my dear friends, the Umertans, have moved to Calimshan for a while and allowed me to stay here. I have the magic to repair it, eventually, but it will take some time. Time I plan to put to good use, of course, with other things than just repairing. As for simply sending a letter - that would have required me to know you - name, location and all. No, the magic at my disposal only allows me to call for heroes who are suited for the work that needs to be done. In this case, ending a band of slavers who do not even follow the most basic decency in dealing with their "merchandise." I trust my ritual has found the right people?" She seems to be slightly amused. "But let's dine first, and talk business later.,"

Starbin
2014-09-15, 03:10 PM
Kahl patted Bryce on the back. "Easy, friend ... there will be time enough for interrogations later. Perhaps first we should avail ourselves of our hostesses kindness. Besides, she did send a letter, albeit after the calling. Thew mishap, eh? Sounds positively painful, but perhaps we can help with that as well.

I would like to adjourn to the table and discuss your problem with these slavers ..."

Kahl was all smiles, but his voice hardened slightly at the last word.

LtPowers
2014-09-16, 01:13 PM
Kilam raises an Elvish eyebrow. "Someone seems to have mistaken me for a do-gooder," he says to no one in particular. He almost allows himself a mirthful chuckle, but instead makes his way to the table to partake of the hospitality. "I've been on the road long enough not to object when offered a feast of this quality. Besides, it would be rude."

He eyes the hostess carefully, trying to discern who she is.

Kilam

Grimtina
2014-09-18, 08:18 AM
"If you could help with that, the family would be definitely grateful. We had a wizard here trying to fix it, together with his druid friend but they didn't come out of the kitchen again. Henceforth no one dared to enter." The lady shakes her head ruefully. "Creating the thews was a mistake to begin with, but the chance of saving money with having fewer servants to pay and not wanting slaves have caused a misplaced crativity in the old Lord." As the unseen servants carry wine around, she continues to explain. "Lord Hethri sure is a good alchemist, wizard and all-around sage, for sure, but he lacks common sense, quite frankly. In his spell creation as well as in the choice of golems. He made the thews - a modofied sort of flesh golem which is basically all legs and tentacles - to be one task only each. That worked for the small ones doing the cleaning for a while, never mind they broke more than they saved in wages. But the big one in the kitchen - he gave it a bit more mind so it could do a good job not only cleaning but cooking. He didn't count on it to start to like its own food it had to taste. Turns out, thews grow as they eat. Lord's comment was.." She coughs and imitates the voice of an old man. "'I did not add that feature to my creature!' Oh he tended to speak in rhyming words for years but the family still insists he is sane. You can probably imagine how quickly the thew got out of control. More wine?"

Starbin
2014-09-18, 11:24 AM
Kahl nodded thoughtfully. "Well, I can honestly say I did not anticipate the magnitude of your problem, but perhaps one of my companions might have some insight or skill in this area. I, however, would like to hear more about your issues with these slavers."

souffle_girl
2014-09-19, 06:13 AM
"Yes, I'm looking forward to hear more of these slavers. I met some slaves in the tavern, and they lacked food, rest and even clothes. As greedy as a slave owner is, you'd think he would at least keep his servants in the right shape to work."

Fireheart
2014-09-19, 11:19 AM
Triel shrugs and takes a seat. Her knowledge of magic is minimal at best and unless the lady needs something stolen that can help, she knows she doesn't have much to fix these "thews."

She nods in agreement to Rhea's comments. "Indeed, slaves are valuable. It does not speak well of this merchant if he treats his wares as such."

Grimtina
2014-09-30, 06:44 AM
"Believe it or not, the slaves in the farmer's employ have it a lot better than most others in the area." With a sigh, the lady orders more wine from her unseen servants. "The core of the problem is in Calimshan. There are certain rules for the slave trade, of course, as for every other business. One of them is that you need to pay proper taxes for your wares, and because this means slaves already cost money when brought to the city, usually the slavers treat them reasonably well. However, a group of them has recently decided to forego the proper payment of taxes, probably by help of bribing a few overseers. They smuggle their slaves into the city, most likely through underground tunnels and the sewers. I suspect the sewers because dead unidentified people have been found in sewers in the last few months. From the looks of them, it is suspected they are slaves, but the city doesn't call them that. It would mean they would have to admit to being unable to control the slave trade and to keep the sewer system reasonably well maintained. They, of course, worry mainly about diseases spreading, rats feeding on the dead and so on. Which in turn means they expect a lot more dead to show up.

Some associates of mine have tried to pinpoint the place in the sewers those bodies had most likely be dropped, and despite an inclomplete map of the sewers, they are pretty sure the bodies originated from a side tunnel used as drain. Bodies are probably just left somewhere there to rot and have been brought into the sewers by the late unusual spring rains. Such rains are rare around here; they happen but once in a decade or so so the slavers probably didn't count on it." She sips from her wine, looking at everyone carefully. "Some of the slaves found dead have been from underdark races, which is also unusual. In any case, we fear it will get a lot worse before the officials will or can do anything, and we would like it to end a lot sooner."

Starbin
2014-09-30, 12:01 PM
Kahl glanced at the others, then stroked his chin thoughtfully. "Interesting. By assisting in this mystery, we would place ourselves into the position to indirectly be supporting the slave trade. However, while I am glad that there have been questions raised about the continued feasibility of such a trade, I cannot condone the methods that brought us here.

I cannot speak for my companions, but I will offer my services to assist in solving this heinous crime. Of course, I do have to ask ... what concern is it of yours, and why are you bringing it to our attention?"

LtPowers
2014-09-30, 12:33 PM
"Perhaps she thought we might be more amenable to mucking about in sewers," Kilam offers with a mixture of amusement and disgust. "To your larger point, however, perhaps there is a way we could use this reprehensible activity against the legal slave trade. It would require a deft political hand, though, and I'm not sure any of us has the local standing necessary to execute it."

Kilam

Ellowryn
2014-09-30, 05:52 PM
Ahran pauses while enjoying the light meal and wine, before speaking "I too am interested in why you are interested in this business my fair lady, that and exactly what magic you used to gather us. I am no fan of any system of slavery as i believe everyone should have the right to come and go as they please. To many rules just sour the wine, so to speak." He pauses again while he takes another sip of the wine "Also, as it seems the people that have been gathered all seem to share a deep dislike of such a system, why bother to ask us at all? It is quite possible that in the course of our 'investigation' to damage or perhaps even destroy those institutions, which of course would be bad for Calimshan if the slave trade that the city relies on falls apart."

Grimtina
2014-10-01, 06:51 AM
"Oh, if Calimshan destabilizes because they need to start relying on other methods of labour, then she does not deserve to exist. In any case, I doubt that anyone could, at this point in time, stop the practice altogether. Getting rid of the worst offenders is all that is there to do, I fear. As for why this interests me and my friends - well, one of them has been a slave himself, kept as some sort of court jester by a Calimshan merchant. I was asked to perform a ritual I know to get hep in the endeavour, although this ritual never tells me what kind of assistance I will get. It took them a bit of persuading to make me do it because of that. I foudn out the result was people being drawn to this place once it was finished. The last time I cast this specific magic, it brought on a draught to dry out a wasting disease. Which worked but made the area it affected suffer in other ways. So this time I specifically asked for something not affecting the environment. I really have no idea what the magic would have done had I not done that. Caused even more tain flooding the tunnels and kill all the slavers and their victims? It's an old drow ritual, and most of those have the tendency to turn into evil if you don't watch it."

Fireheart
2014-10-01, 03:03 PM
Triel starts when their hostess mentions the spell she used was an old drow ritual. "Well, that certainly explains why it drew so many of us Iillthyri were drawn to this place." She says, with a glance at the other drow blooded.

Starbin
2014-10-01, 03:20 PM
Kahl frowned at the woman's description of events, and the aftermath of her spell. "Yes, I would caution you to think carefully before employing said magiks again. The careless use of powerful spells can have long-lasting ramifications ... especially when they have their foundation in a society known for its draconian measures and lack of empathy for unintended consequences." He leaned back in his seat, letting the others speak, but clearly unhappy with the situation.

Diachronos
2014-10-01, 11:49 PM
Serana sipped at a glass of wine while listening to the others speak. Slavery was both a familiar and foreign concept in her homeland - on one hand, her family's preferred craft was typically used in a way that functioned much like slavery, though with the "slaves" being simple husks that served their master's whims; on the other, her family made a point of treating their created servants well and seeking their consent before binding them into the family's service. Some might find it a vile act, but said individuals would also see her father burnt to a cinder simply for being what he was.

"In short, you'd like us to deal with this particular group that tries to slink around the standard laws and procedures? That doesn't sound like it would be too difficult, aside from locating them in the first place." With a smile she set down her wine glass. "Perhaps their victims will even have a chance at vengeance, if the opportunity presents itself..."

Ries glanced down at her, having taken up a standing position behind Serana after she'd seated herself. "Take care that doing so doesn't bring down the wrong sort of attention upon our endeavors, Lady Serana."

Serana gave him a dismissive wave and a grin. "Of course, Ries. I wouldn't do something to cause a panic." She looked back at him with a pointed stare, driving her point home with a mental notice. "One word and you'll be chasing a stray dog to get your skull back again."

JusticeZero
2014-10-02, 10:15 AM
Bryce stands back and runs her thumb across her throat quietly in thought, listening to each. ::So.. They would have to be dealing with whoever lives there. Do we know who that is? Thieves? Beggars? Something worse? If this is going to cause some strange turf war,we might want to find whose toes the smugglers are stepping on..::
She glances around. ::If we would have friends down there, it would be good to know before we startle each other over knives. It's not always easy to tell just by looking.::

Grimtina
2014-10-03, 05:12 AM
The Lady thinks for a moment. "The beggar's guild would at least have some information, I suppose. We never considered them, I have to admit."

JusticeZero
2014-10-03, 08:38 PM
Bryce nods.
::Yes... nobody does. So about this giant..:: She gestures around vaguely with her hands before making vague claw motions at the air with bent wrists, ::..tentacle.. monster... chef.. whatever...THING...? What kind of wizard was it that went in there? If it was, well. "Flambey Flarman the Fire Master of Fireville", then we would know that fire probably isn't useful.. Or it might eat magic, or.. I don't know how any of that works. Just guessing.::

Grimtina
2014-10-09, 11:11 AM
"I think he said he was specializing in cold spells. Not very forthcoming about the details though. He said the secrets of his personal trade need to be preserved. But he was the only one available, as it so often is."

Starbin
2014-10-15, 01:29 PM
Kahl listened for a moment, then finally spoke. "So we are to find the beggar's guild and began an investigation of the missing slaves, yes? And is it my understanding we are to attempt to help the lady with her mystical help issues?"

This thread seems to be languishing ... and I'm not really sure what's in the next room!

Fireheart
2014-10-15, 02:48 PM
Triel nods. "That seems to be my understanding as well. I can see if I can make contact with the begger's guild but my skills are not going to be much use against creatures such as described."

OOC:
yeah, I'm afraid, I'm not sure what to do either. :)

Grimtina
2014-10-15, 02:57 PM
Somewhere in the manor, a bell is going off. "Excuse me for a moment," the Lady says and gets up. "Something needs my attention." As she rushes out, some of the unseen servants pick up her long dress and follow her, which looks rather funny.

You don't need to deal with the thing in the kitchen, you may as well find someone in the city to deal with it if you don't feel up to it

Diachronos
2014-10-17, 12:50 AM
Serana turned to the others as their host left the room. "Do you think the beggar's guild will be willing to aid us, though? If they have information, you'd think at least one of them would have reported it... there's always a chance that the slavers may be holding something over their heads to keep them quiet."

She clasped her hands together and rested her elbows on the table, tapping her chin in thought. "Unless... unless they already have, and the local authorities aren't actively pursuing the issue? In that case, they may be willing to help us simply to have someone willing to listen." A grin crossed her face. "If it comes down to it, we could always use scare tactics; if that turns out to be the case, Ries and I can handle that. You... may want to avoid being seen around us in that case, though."

LtPowers
2014-10-17, 02:31 PM
"If I may... there is a guild of ... beggars ... in the area?" Kilam asks with some disbelief.

Kilam

JusticeZero
2014-10-18, 08:38 PM
Bryce blinks at the question. ::What? There ALWAYS is. Calling it a "Guild" might be picking words, but you really think they don't talk to each other and organize? It's hard enough living the low life without. You just have to know the right people to talk to.::

Grimtina
2014-10-20, 02:29 PM
To avoid confusion, the main slaver probem is in Calimshar

Starbin
2014-10-20, 02:38 PM
Kahl stood as their host left quickly, a quizzical look on his face. "I confess that I do not understand what mystical problems she has in the other room, but should we offer our assistance?

As for the slavery issue, I think it best those who are interested in helping leave for Calimshar on the morrow. I would hope we could be polite in our investigation," he glanced at Serana and her companion at this, "but I would reserve the right to react as necessary to whatever roadblocks we run into. I cannot turn a blind eye to this ... will you all go as well?"

Kahl wanted to see who was going to accept this quest ...

this seems like a good time to get a roll-call for who is going to keep playing :smallsmile:

Fireheart
2014-10-21, 11:41 AM
Triel brushes a strand of hair from her face. "I will go to Calimshar...though I do not know if my skills will be useful in the lady's magical problems."

JusticeZero
2014-10-21, 01:17 PM
::You aren't getting rid of me that easy, Kahl.:: Bryce checks herself over quickly.

Diachronos
2014-10-22, 01:45 AM
Serana grinned. "It's not like I'm going to go out of my way to cause trouble. I'm merely... suggesting that we may need to do some questionable things to gather information, and depending on what that method would be I'd be willing to volunteer."

Ellowryn
2014-10-22, 01:40 PM
"I will go wherever the winds blow me," Ahran says with a big grin, "And it seems the winds are blowing me to Calimshar. Especially since we seem to be given free reign to do what we want with the slave trade there!"

Starbin
2014-10-29, 11:46 AM
Kahl nodded to the responses, smiling at Bryce in particular. "Well, then, it seems we have a quorem of sorts, and I would be glad to all you all companions. Let me caution you in advance, however - Bryce says that I have a 'heightened sense of duty' and as such, I do not favor the shenanigans you might find in common practice amongst those with little moral fiber. That is not sot say I do not believe in the use of subterfuge, unusual tactics, or unique talents. But I do expect those I travel with to hold themselves above the sort of debasement one might find in adversaries willing to win at any cost. I believe there is always a cost, and the price is definitely not worth it if it involves your soul."

With that said, he suddenly smiled to break the mood. "I am, however, fond of food and drink (within reason), as well as practical jokes and puppies ... so it is not ALL bad! Now who wishes to see if we can help the Lady with her mystical problems? No host should have to miss out on their own dinner party!"

Alrighty, then let's move out ... give us a chance to chat / do something!

LtPowers
2014-10-30, 09:14 AM
"I will lend whatever aid I can, of course," Kilam volunteers.

JusticeZero
2014-11-03, 10:31 AM
::I thought I already said that, but okay. Let's take care of this then. ::