PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Most attacks possible per round...

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-13, 03:51 PM
...without recourse to spells (whether cast by yourself or someone else) or magic items. Non-spell class features (extraordinary, spell-like and supernatural are still fine), feats, etc. (ETA: Maneuvers are fine too). Damage per attack doesn't matter, nor does the number or value of attack penalties applied. Preferably things that don't have a daily limit on use, like the Dervish's Thousand Cuts (once per day, double the number of melee attacks performed during a full attack).

Most I can come up with at the moment is Monk 11/Fighter 10 (or some other class with good BAB) wielding, let's say, a quarterstaff. Eleven levels in monk gets them two extra flurry of blows attacks at their highest bonus, and eliminates entirely the penalty for using FoB. The last level of Fighter would grant epic attack/save bonuses, but the nine non-epic levels crank the total BAB to 17, granting a fourth attack. Their flurry of blows attack bonus, then, is +17/17/17/12/7/2. Six attacks already.

Let's toss some two-weapon fighting on there, because we might as well. First off, there's certainly enough room for TWF, Improved TWF, and Greater TWF, so that makes ten attacks at +15/15/15/10/5/0 and +15/10/5 (after applying the -2 penalties for TWF). Getting better.

We'll assume they've been buffing dexterity at every four levels, and are either a Dex-boosting race or picked up a +2 or better Manual of Dexterity along the way. Brings their Dexterity up to or past 25, qualifying them for Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting (Complete Warrior). Grants them one off-hand attack for each primary attack they have. Makes for twelve, two sets of +15/15/15/10/5/0.

But wait, there's more! Shuriken are monk weapons too, and they're ranged weapons! You know what that means? Rapid Shot (and of course Quick Draw too)! Two-weapon throwing is allowed, so that's an extra attack at -2 each. There's probably enough feats to spare via the fighter that Improved Rapid Shot and its prerequisites can be taken, so we now have fourteen (!) attacks per round as long as we're throwing shuriken, and the attack bonuses are:
+15/15/15/15/10/5/0 and +15/15/15/15/10/5/0

Pretty darn respectable, if you ask me. Now take a look at this thread (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10419.0) to see what you can do with a shuriken.

Anything other ways to gain more attacks that I forgot to include? Any alternate builds that somehow get more?

EDIT because I can't count.

Silva Stormrage
2014-08-13, 03:53 PM
Lightning Maces + Aptitude weapons gets you a free attack whenever you critically hit someone. With the right ways of boosting crit range you can get an almost infinite number of attacks.

Without the TO of the infinite attacks you can still get a significant amount of extra attacks with the combo.

Rebel7284
2014-08-13, 03:56 PM
Maneuvers are EX.

Swordsage/Telflamar Shadowlord for 3 full attacks every round.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-13, 03:59 PM
Maneuvers are EX.

Swordsage/Telflamar Shadowlord for 3 full attacks every round.

Oooh, that's an excellent one. I should read Tome of Battle more.

Also, to clarify, maneuvers were meant to be allowable due to their being extraordinary abilities, as you have pointed out. Will edit that into the original post.

Dread_Head
2014-08-13, 04:00 PM
1 level of barbarian (or one of druidic avenger or two of half orc paragon if you want to keep alignment matching monk) to get rage which you trade for Whirling frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) for an extra attack.

Master Thrower for Palm Throw to throw two weapons per attack?

Edit: Added on top of your build from the first post.

Brookshw
2014-08-13, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure if warshaper violates your criteria or not.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-08-13, 04:06 PM
Slashing Flurry gives you an extra attack at the cost of -2 to all your other attacks.

Red Fel
2014-08-13, 04:07 PM
Does Incarnum count? Because Warblade/Totemist can rack up an awful lot of harm with Draconic Soulmelds.

Flickerdart
2014-08-13, 04:10 PM
1,067,212 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0).

heavyfuel
2014-08-13, 04:13 PM
Gray Elf Factotum with 20 starting Int and with Snap Kick and every possible Font of Inspiration possible.

By lv 20 you have 7 FoI which amount to 28 Inspiration Points. +8 points from the Factotum class (17lvs) that's a total of 36. Add in a dip of Whirling Frenzy Barbarian and a 2lv dip of Monk for additional attacks.

You now have 3 attacks from BAB, 2 from Flurry of Blows, 1 from Whiling frenzy. Use cunning surge for 12 extra standard actions which means 12 extra attacks. That adds up to 18 attacks so far, but each attack also provokes Snap Kick to trigger for possibly 36 attacks (though the saner interpretation of Snap Kick allows for only 31)

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-13, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure if warshaper violates your criteria or not.

The criteria is really only there to prevent Haste, weapons with the Speed quality, or anything else that doesn't require investment of class levels, skills, maneuvers, and/or feats. The Polymorph spell does not in itself grant extra attacks, so the Warshaper and its abilities are fine.

ETA:

Does Incarnum count? Because Warblade/Totemist can rack up an awful lot of harm with Draconic Soulmelds.

Sure. Do you happen to know/have the ability to calculate exactly how much you can get out of that build?

PsyBomb
2014-08-13, 04:23 PM
A Totemist 5/Barb (whirling) 1/Warblade 14 can get a vicious double-full attack via Tiime Stands Still, especially off a Jump. Six levels of Totemist will allow 4 soulmelds (you could go for 5 if you're willing to lose a Bind). I don't have my references in front of me, so I can't recall how many you can get off of it... but subtract one to get a main-hand weapon and do combined attacks plus one off Whirl. Off the top of my head, Girallon Arms and Landshark Boots will give 6, so minimum of 10 doubles to 20. I can probably do at least a couple better once I get my hands back on my books.

Shinken
2014-08-13, 04:28 PM
Slashing Flurry gives you an extra attack at the cost of -2 to all your other attacks.

Isn't is -5?

Also, check this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?127463-3-X-Extra-attacks-natural-attacks-AoO&p=7066595#post7066595). It's missing one of my favourites, Planar Touchstone (oxyryncus), tho.

IAmTehDave
2014-08-13, 05:06 PM
I will always love pimping out the Duskblade Shadowpouncer even though it requires a 2nd level spell.

(Doable as human or with flaws, though your feats will be stuck. With flaws you can get Power Attack and be reasonable)
1-13 Duskblade, spending 40 skill points on Hide and Move Silently
Feats: Blind-Fight , Dodge , Mobility , Spring Attack (required for TS) , Martial Study (Any Shadow Hand) , Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance - gives you the 2d6 sneak attack needed) (You need all these feats by level 13)
14-17 Telflammar Shadowlord

13 Duskblade lets you channel a touch spell with a full attack. (Exact Wording: "[...]the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round. ") Choose "Dimension Hop". It doesn't matter if your opponent saves against the spell, since your last attack will be a touch attack against yourself dealing 0 damage. You voluntarily fail your save v. Dimension Hop, teleport 5-10 feet away, and Shadow Pounce. The fourth attack of that pounce, you hit yourself with a 0-damage touch attack, sending yourself teleporting, which lets you shadow pounce. Wash, rinse, repeat, watch as Mystra rips open the Weave, snags you, and plasters you to the Wall of the Faithless.

Melcar
2014-08-13, 05:51 PM
1,067,212 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0).

What is the CR of this unholy abomination?

Milodiah
2014-08-13, 06:00 PM
What is the CR of this unholy abomination?

The CR probably rounds out to "OH GOD RUN"

Also, if I ever tried to play that, when it came to my turn I'd just roll by filling a 55-gallon drum with d20s, kicking it over, counting the successes until we're far enough for it to have died if every attack dealt minimum damage, and then yelling "ALRIGHT WHO'S NEXT?!?!"

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-13, 06:14 PM
The CR probably rounds out to "OH GOD RUN"

Also, if I ever tried to play that, when it came to my turn I'd just roll by filling a 55-gallon drum with d20s, kicking it over, counting the successes until we're far enough for it to have died if every attack dealt minimum damage, and then yelling "ALRIGHT WHO'S NEXT?!?!"

Granted, it can only get that many attacks once per day; after the first full round, A Thousand Cuts wears off and it only gets half that many.

Milodiah
2014-08-13, 06:39 PM
Granted, it can only get that many attacks once per day; after the first full round, A Thousand Cuts wears off and it only gets half that many.

...oh, well that's nowhere near as exciting. Might as well just switch back to my pikebard if I'm only getting half a million attacks per round :smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2014-08-13, 06:41 PM
You can get a LOT by Full Channeling Dimension Hop, and then hitting yourself with an attack at the end of your combo to trigger Shadow Pounce.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-08-13, 06:52 PM
Isn't is -5?

Also, check this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?127463-3-X-Extra-attacks-natural-attacks-AoO&p=7066595#post7066595). It's missing one of my favourites, Planar Touchstone (oxyryncus), tho.

Critical read failure. Abort feat acquisition!

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-13, 08:23 PM
...oh, well that's nowhere near as exciting. Might as well just switch back to my pikebard if I'm only getting half a million attacks per round :smalltongue:

It also relies on using Palm Throw, so you need 1,111 crescent knives per full attack or it runs out pretty fast. Also, a very large majority of its arms are acquired through the assumption that Monstrous Centipedes have 100 legs; the Monster Manual does not specify how many legs they have, and most real-life centipedes have 42 to 46 (Almost all of the big, predatory, venomous centipedes have somewhere around this number). Assuming proportions remain the same in Monstrous Centipedes, it should lose around half of its attacks, and without throwing 600-ish crescent blades/turn from its other hands, its attack number halves again. Some admittedly very rough math leaves the attack total at around 202,000 after thousand cuts. Not quite as impressive, considering where it started.

strangebloke
2014-08-14, 09:29 AM
Ok, so I'm not much of an optimizer but here goes.

dragonborn (wings) goliath
spiritual lion totem whirling frenzy barbarian 1/cleric of Wee Jas 1/crusader 1/warblade 7/Ruby knight vindicator 10

feats are (with no real attention to order)

battle jumper: Lets you charge after falling onto an opponent.

Extra turningx6: you know what this does.

The trick here is that battle jumper allows you to charge at the end of a fall. By RAW, you could full attack, fall onto an enemy, and charge. If you can jump high enough to qualify, you can even charge as a move action.

Sudden leap from Tiger claw lets you jump as a swift action. Refreshing your maneuvers is a swift action. divine impetus (from the Ruby Knight) let's you spend turn attempts to gain additional swift actions.

In short, if you can hit a DC 40 jump check, (easy) you can charge twice, and then once more for every two turn attempts you expend. Spirit lion totem lets you full attack on your charge, and whirling frenzy gives you an extra attack.

5 iterative attacks per full attack.
14 + CHA/2 full attacks (1 full attack per 2 turn attempts. 3 + CHA + 4*6 + 1 (Reliquary Holy symbol) turns attempts)

70 + 2.5*CHA attacks in a round.

Dragonborn and Goliath help making that jump check.

Telonius
2014-08-14, 09:38 AM
There's always the cheesy Changeling Warshaper interpretation - that you can use actions to gain as many natural attacks as you like. Given prep time, it could add up to a ridiculous number. (EDIT: I see that's been mentioned already).

nedz
2014-08-14, 09:44 AM
There is also the minionmancy approach, I'm not sure what the maximum here is ?

Nightraiderx
2014-08-14, 12:19 PM
Ok, so I'm not much of an optimizer but here goes.

dragonborn (wings) goliath
spiritual lion totem whirling frenzy barbarian 1/cleric of Wee Jas 1/crusader 1/warblade 7/Ruby knight vindicator 10

feats are (with no real attention to order)

battle jumper: Lets you charge after falling onto an opponent.

Extra turningx6: you know what this does.

The trick here is that battle jumper allows you to charge at the end of a fall. By RAW, you could full attack, fall onto an enemy, and charge. If you can jump high enough to qualify, you can even charge as a move action.

Sudden leap from Tiger claw lets you jump as a swift action. Refreshing your maneuvers is a swift action. divine impetus (from the Ruby Knight) let's you spend turn attempts to gain additional swift actions.

In short, if you can hit a DC 40 jump check, (easy) you can charge twice, and then once more for every two turn attempts you expend. Spirit lion totem lets you full attack on your charge, and whirling frenzy gives you an extra attack.

5 iterative attacks per full attack.
14 + CHA/2 full attacks (1 full attack per 2 turn attempts. 3 + CHA + 4*6 + 1 (Reliquary Holy symbol) turns attempts)

70 + 2.5*CHA attacks in a round.

Dragonborn and Goliath help making that jump check.

Or instead you can use travel devotion and use a move action swift to get move as a swift for a minute.
Alot less need for a jump check and a fly speed with wings will be enough, and then using RKV's more famous move to get swift actions for 1 turn attempt a round instead of two.
Edit: The more turning pools you have the better off you are so one can get at least three turning pools using a dragonblooded race (human)

Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1/Cleric of Wee Jas 1 (turn energy alt)/Paladin 4 (rebuke dragons)/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Sacred Exorcist 1 (turn undead)/Warblade 2

3 turning pools.
Travel Devotion Feat
Battle Jump
Pounce
Dragon Wings flight spell

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-14, 12:48 PM
There's always the cheesy Changeling Warshaper interpretation - that you can use actions to gain as many natural attacks as you like. Given prep time, it could add up to a ridiculous number. (EDIT: I see that's been mentioned already).

So the Warshaper's Morphic Weapons description says that "If the warshaper’s form already has a natural weapon of that type, the weapon deals damage as if it were one category larger." Does the ridiculous number of attacks come from the fact that there's no specific list of natural attacks a monster can have. Or does it hinge on the fact that even if you add tentacles to a bear, it doesn't count as having tentacles to begin with and thus adding tentacles grants more attacks rather than greater damage? I can certainly see that there's a way to get excessive attacks, but can't see exactly how.

Red Fel
2014-08-14, 12:57 PM
Sure. Do you happen to know/have the ability to calculate exactly how much you can get out of that build?

Okay. Let's go with a Warblade with a quick dip (at least 2 levels) into Totemist. Base race is irrelevant, but we want the Dragonblood subtype, so either a race that naturally has it (such as Fireblood Dwarf) or the Dragonborn template. For this build, I want to use Dragonborn Warforged, for reasons you'll see shortly.

Alright. Let's plan this at level 20. Let's say it's a total of Warblade 14/ Totemist 6, taking the levels whenever. That gives us a BAB of 18, meldshaper level 6, IL 17 (9th-level maneuvers, yay!), 4 soulmelds shaped, 2 bound, and the totem, crown, feet and hands chakras available. We want 3 feats - Improved Unarmed Strike, Ironheart Aura, and Stormguard Warrior. Since it's Warforged, we also want to take Jaws of Death. Everything else is icing.

Now, let's look at soulmelds. First, why did we want Dragonblood? Because Draconic Soulmelds (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=4) are a great way to get natural weapons without chakra binds.

Now, there are several soulmelds we want. First, obviously, is Girallon Arms. Shaped to the Arms, bound to the Totem, it gives us four extra claw attacks. Ordinarily, I'd suggest taking Sphinx Claws, shaped and bound to Hands, for Pounce. But since we're focusing on quantity over quality, instead I'd suggest shaping Dragon Claws to hands, no binding needed. Because he fights unarmed, he can make his full iterative attacks, then swipe with his claws as secondaries. Next, shape Dragon Tail. which gives us a tail attack. We don't need a soulmeld for a bite, because we already have one from Jaws of Death.

So let's step back and look at what we have so far. First, from our +18 BAB, we get 3 iterative attacks. Next, a slam attack, because Warforged. Next, two claws from Dragon Claws. Next, four claws from Girallon Arms. Next, a tail slam from Dragon Tail. Last, a bite from Jaws of Death. So right now, we're at 3+1+2+4+1+1=12. For your last soulmeld, you can take Dread Carapace (shaped to feet) for bonus natural weapon damage.

Notice I said so far. That's because now it gets fun. First, there are a few maneuvers to consider. One is the ever-popular Time Stands Still, which lets you make your full attack twice. Remember that a Warblade can recover maneuvers as a swift action while making a normal attack - so in between rounds of dealing double-full-attacks, you can still perform a full attack, recovering Time Stands Still to use again the next turn. Another is Raging Mongoose, which grants you a maximum of 4 extra attacks with the weapon(s) of your choice at the highest BAB for those weapons. Still another is Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip, which allows you to add rend damage based on how many attacks you make that strike an opponent. Since you make 12, that means you may be adding 20d6 (average 700) against each opponent you strike. Since Raging Mongoose and Girallon Windmill are both boosts, activated with a swift action, you can use either (but not both, unless you have a source of extra swift actions) in conjunction with Time Stands Still to be particularly sadistic.

Now, what about the feats I mentioned? Well, Jaws of Death is obvious - bite attack. And IUS is obvious - using unarmed strikes allows you to switch freely from unarmed to natural attacks with claws and slams, and adds any bonus for natural weapons to your iteratives as well. (As a bonus, if Dragon Magazine is on the table, consider the Beast Strike feat, which adds your claw or slam damage to your unarmed strikes). But why the other two?

Well, Ironheart Aura is there because it's a prereq to Stormguard Warrior. You could sit in an Ironheart stance - if you do, I'd suggest Punishing Stance, because adding 1d6 to every hit when you're performing 12 attacks per round adds up pretty quickly. (Specifically, it averages 12d6, or 42.) But Stormguard Warrior is the real masterpiece. Here's why: Combat Rhythm allows you to spend one turn making touch attacks, but dealing no damage on them. For each attack that hits, on your next round, each of your attacks deals +5 damage. Since you're making 12 attacks, that means each hit on your next turn will deal +60 damage. Just to total that for you, that's 60 * 12 = 720 damage. And you can spike this every other round.

How's that for you?

EDIT: Since you're only using one bind, you can give up a level of Totemist for Whirling Frenzy Barbarian. It penalizes your to-hit, but gets you one extra primary attack per round.

Vaz
2014-08-14, 01:22 PM
Elan Druid 8/Planar Shepherd of Dal Quor 10/Bloodstorm Blade 2 with Aberration Wild Shape.

Makes a 10:1 Time Bubble, takes Aberration Wild Form for something like a Gibbering Mouther or whatever other creature gets a wedge of attacks (say 8 natural attacks for sanity). With Rapidstrike and Greater Rapidstrike, giving you 10, so you deal 100 attacks.

Telonius
2014-08-14, 01:42 PM
So the Warshaper's Morphic Weapons description says that "If the warshaper’s form already has a natural weapon of that type, the weapon deals damage as if it were one category larger." Does the ridiculous number of attacks come from the fact that there's no specific list of natural attacks a monster can have. Or does it hinge on the fact that even if you add tentacles to a bear, it doesn't count as having tentacles to begin with and thus adding tentacles grants more attacks rather than greater damage? I can certainly see that there's a way to get excessive attacks, but can't see exactly how.

"No set list of natural attacks" is the main thing; the extra damage is icing on the cake.

The regularly-cheesy reading is that you can grow several different sources of natural attack - a claw, a bite, a tentacle, a slam, a horn, a gore, a wing buffet, and so on - at once. (That's where the "as often as you like" clause comes in). Since there's no set list of natural attacks, the number of attacks you'd get would be limited only by the number of attacks you can think of.

The super-cheesy reading is that you can get more than one of a certain type, with the damage stacking on everything after the first; so you'd have a bear claw, a dragon claw, and so on. The logic there being that it never says you replace the current natural attack you've grown, just that it adds damage if you have an existing weapon of that type.

Personally I rule that the description, "allowing a natural attack," means that the intent is for a single natural attack to be added, not that you can walk around like a conglomeration of teeth and spikes. The wording is extremely poor, which makes it abuse-able.

Brookshw
2014-08-14, 01:45 PM

You're pretty close, it comes from " Morphic Weapons (Su): As a move action, a warshaper can grow natural weapons" with no cap on how many you can grow. It's pretty cheesy.

Edit: ninjad

strangebloke
2014-08-14, 01:53 PM
Or instead you can use travel devotion and use a move action swift to get move as a swift for a minute.
Alot less need for a jump check and a fly speed with wings will be enough, and then using RKV's more famous move to get swift actions for 1 turn attempt a round instead of two.
Edit: The more turning pools you have the better off you are so one can get at least three turning pools using a dragonblooded race (human)

Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1/Cleric of Wee Jas 1 (turn energy alt)/Paladin 4 (rebuke dragons)/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Sacred Exorcist 1 (turn undead)/Warblade 2

3 turning pools.
Travel Devotion Feat
Battle Jump
Pounce
Dragon Wings flight spell

We explicitly aren't supposed to use magic, which is why I went with dragonborn instead of of the wings spell.

I somehow missed the thing with travel devotion. And I forgot the extra pools cheese. That really breaks this build.

I think we can still improve this though, since we don't use TWF or flurry of blows yet. We don't need those warblade levels anymore, since we're flying, not jumping. We also don't need 8-10 of RKV, which gives us five levels to play with.

I'd go:
Lesser Aasimar Dragonborn
Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1/Cleric of Wee Jas 1 (turn energy alt)/Monk 1/ranger 2/fighter 2/Paladin 4 (rebuke dragons)/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7/Sacred Exorcist 1 (turn undead)

for feats:
battle jump
snap kick
travel devotion
extra turningx4

That gives us flurry of blows, the full TWF tree, and snap kick.

To sum up:
attacks per full attack:
4 (BAB) + 1 (Frenzy) + 1 (snap kick) + 1 (Flurry of miss) + 3 (TWF) =
Full attacks:
1 (initial charge) + 1 (first swift action) + 60 + 3*CHA(Divine impetus:1 per turn attempt) =
59 +3 * CHA
Turn attempts:
[3 (base)+ CHA + 4*4 (extra turning)]*3 (separate pools)] =
57 + 3*CHA
Attacks:
590 + 30*CHA

If you pump Charisma by playing a lesser aasimar, you end up with a +6 modifier before any magic items. Completely Sans magic, we have:

770 attacks in a single round.

Otherwise, this character is a mess. He's taking -6 on every attack between snap kick and everything, so even though he has 770 attacks he might not actually be that great of a DPS-er

Nightraiderx
2014-08-14, 02:10 PM
We explicitly aren't supposed to use magic, which is why I went with dragonborn instead of of the wings spell.

I somehow missed the thing with travel devotion. And I forgot the extra pools cheese. That really breaks this build.

I think we can still improve this though, since we don't use TWF or flurry of blows yet. We don't need those warblade levels anymore, since we're flying, not jumping. We also don't need 8-10 of RKV, which gives us five levels to play with.

I'd go:
Lesser Aasimar Dragonborn
Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1/Cleric of Wee Jas 1 (turn energy alt)/Monk 1/ranger 2/fighter 2/Paladin 4 (rebuke dragons)/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7/Sacred Exorcist 1 (turn undead)

for feats:
battle jump
snap kick
travel devotion
extra turningx4

That gives us flurry of blows, the full TWF tree, and snap kick.

To sum up:
attacks per full attack:
4 (BAB) + 1 (Frenzy) + 1 (snap kick) + 1 (Flurry of miss) + 3 (TWF) =
Full attacks:
1 (initial charge) + 1 (first swift action) + 60 + 3*CHA(Divine impetus:1 per turn attempt) =
59 +3 * CHA
Turn attempts:
[3 (base)+ CHA + 4*4 (extra turning)]*3 (separate pools)] =
57 + 3*CHA
Attacks:
590 + 30*CHA

If you pump Charisma by playing a lesser aasimar, you end up with a +6 modifier before any magic items. Completely Sans magic, we have:

770 attacks in a single round.

Otherwise, this character is a mess. He's taking -6 on every attack between snap kick and everything, so even though he has 770 attacks he might not actually be that great of a DPS-er

true and those penalties stack up HARD since they last until the beginning of it's next turn.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-14, 02:29 PM
Personally I rule that the description, "allowing a natural attack," means that the intent is for a single natural attack to be added, not that you can walk around like a conglomeration of teeth and spikes. The wording is extremely poor, which makes it abuse-able.

That's a pretty reasonable houseruling of it, and was in fact how I interpreted the ability for a long time before someone pointed out the cheese potential. But then, the Complete books often don't appear to be the most proofread; in my copy of Complete Divine, Shugenja gain eighth level spells/day at the same time/frequency as seventh level spells, and gain ninth level spells when they should have been gaining eighth. Their spells known table has the proper progression, though, so by RAW they can't use those spell slots until the level at which they were supposed to become available. Except maybe for metamagic... but that's probably been fixed in the errata.

Also there's at least one or two places in the book where it tells me to "see page XX". Doesn't give a page number, it actually says "XX" on the page. Oops!

Okay. Let's go with a Warblade with a quick dip (at least 2 levels) into Totemist. Base race is irrelevant, but we want the Dragonblood subtype, so either a race that naturally has it (such as Fireblood Dwarf) or the Dragonborn template. For this build, I want to use Dragonborn Warforged, for reasons you'll see shortly.

Alright. Let's plan this at level 20. Let's say it's a total of Warblade 14/ Totemist 6, taking the levels whenever. That gives us a BAB of 18, meldshaper level 6, IL 17 (9th-level maneuvers, yay!), 4 soulmelds shaped, 2 bound, and the totem, crown, feet and hands chakras available. We want 3 feats - Improved Unarmed Strike, Ironheart Aura, and Stormguard Warrior. Since it's Warforged, we also want to take Jaws of Death. Everything else is icing.

Now, let's look at soulmelds. First, why did we want Dragonblood? Because Draconic Soulmelds (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=4) are a great way to get natural weapons without chakra binds.

Now, there are several soulmelds we want. First, obviously, is Girallon Arms. Shaped to the Arms, bound to the Totem, it gives us four extra claw attacks. Ordinarily, I'd suggest taking Sphinx Claws, shaped and bound to Hands, for Pounce. But since we're focusing on quantity over quality, instead I'd suggest shaping Dragon Claws to hands, no binding needed. Because he fights unarmed, he can make his full iterative attacks, then swipe with his claws as secondaries. Next, shape Dragon Tail. which gives us a tail attack. We don't need a soulmeld for a bite, because we already have one from Jaws of Death.

So let's step back and look at what we have so far. First, from our +18 BAB, we get 3 iterative attacks. Next, a slam attack, because Warforged. Next, two claws from Dragon Claws. Next, four claws from Girallon Arms. Next, a tail slam from Dragon Tail. Last, a bite from Jaws of Death. So right now, we're at 3+1+2+4+1+1=12. For your last soulmeld, you can take Dread Carapace (shaped to feet) for bonus natural weapon damage.

Notice I said so far. That's because now it gets fun. First, there are a few maneuvers to consider. One is the ever-popular Time Stands Still, which lets you make your full attack twice. Remember that a Warblade can recover maneuvers as a swift action while making a normal attack - so in between rounds of dealing double-full-attacks, you can still perform a full attack, recovering Time Stands Still to use again the next turn. Another is Raging Mongoose, which grants you a maximum of 4 extra attacks with the weapon(s) of your choice at the highest BAB for those weapons. Still another is Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip, which allows you to add rend damage based on how many attacks you make that strike an opponent. Since you make 12, that means you may be adding 20d6 (average 700) against each opponent you strike. Since Raging Mongoose and Girallon Windmill are both boosts, activated with a swift action, you can use either (but not both, unless you have a source of extra swift actions) in conjunction with Time Stands Still to be particularly sadistic.

Now, what about the feats I mentioned? Well, Jaws of Death is obvious - bite attack. And IUS is obvious - using unarmed strikes allows you to switch freely from unarmed to natural attacks with claws and slams, and adds any bonus for natural weapons to your iteratives as well. (As a bonus, if Dragon Magazine is on the table, consider the Beast Strike feat, which adds your claw or slam damage to your unarmed strikes). But why the other two?

Well, Ironheart Aura is there because it's a prereq to Stormguard Warrior. You could sit in an Ironheart stance - if you do, I'd suggest Punishing Stance, because adding 1d6 to every hit when you're performing 12 attacks per round adds up pretty quickly. (Specifically, it averages 12d6, or 42.) But Stormguard Warrior is the real masterpiece. Here's why: Combat Rhythm allows you to spend one turn making touch attacks, but dealing no damage on them. For each attack that hits, on your next round, each of your attacks deals +5 damage. Since you're making 12 attacks, that means each hit on your next turn will deal +60 damage. Just to total that for you, that's 60 * 12 = 720 damage. And you can spike this every other round.

How's that for you?

EDIT: Since you're only using one bind, you can give up a level of Totemist for Whirling Frenzy Barbarian. It penalizes your to-hit, but gets you one extra primary attack per round.

That's... Wow. That's beautiful. Crazy pile of attacks, plus insane damage on each.

strangebloke
2014-08-14, 02:34 PM
true and those penalties stack up HARD since they last until the beginning of it's next turn.

only the -4 from snap kick and flurry stack up, but yeah. This guy is going to be rocking a -308 modifier on each attack by the last iteration.

If you wanted to make this a more effective build you could get rid of that feat and the monk level, and add in power attack and take an extra cleric level. You would lose 154 attacks, but gain so much in the way of effectiveness.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-14, 02:38 PM
only the -4 from snap kick and flurry stack up, but yeah. This guy is going to be rocking a -308 modifier on each attack by the last iteration.

Regardless of penalties, though, with 770 attacks you'll be hitting an average of at least 38.5 times per round (because that's about how many natural twenties you'll roll), and all 38.5 of those hits are threats (good luck confirming them, but whatever. A hit is a hit). Still sorta viable, actually. It seems to have reached the tipping point after which penalties to attacks don't matter because there are so many attacks being made.

Red Fel
2014-08-14, 03:02 PM
That's... Wow. That's beautiful. Crazy pile of attacks, plus insane damage on each.

The thing I love about it is how little it requires.

Seriously, think about the stuff involved. Apart from the maneuvers (Time Stands Still, Raging Mongoose, and Girallon Windmill are all pretty high-level) most of it is fairly mundane and low-level. Totemist 5 gets you full use of the soulmelds described. A few more levels of Warblade gets you access to Ironheart Aura and Stormguard Warrior.

Frankly, by level 9, a Dragonborn Warforged Totemist 5/ Warblade 4 can have Jaws of Death, Improved Unarmed Strike, Ironheart Aura (if you dip Warblade before level 6), and Stormguard Warrior all nailed down, plus all of the soulmelds mentioned. You'll have your natural attacks, +7/+2 BAB, and an IL of 6 (meaning 3rd-level maneuvers); you'll have Punishing Stance as well. So you'll already be looking at 2 iteratives + 1 bite + 1 slam + 2 claws + 4 more claws + 1 tail = 11 attacks, +1d6 on each due to Punishing Stance, and the ability to trigger Stormguard Warrior every other round for +55 damage to each of your 11 hits (+605 damage total).

At level 9.

And it's not even particularly cheesy. It doesn't rely on any tricky RAW or unusual mechanics interactions. It doesn't need flaws, traits, variants or adaptations, or Dragon Magazine material (although Beast Strike is a neat addition). It doesn't require any obscure mechanics or books. It doesn't require a lot of messy multiclassing - just two classes and we're covered. It's clean and simple and outrageous even at low levels.

Qwertystop
2014-08-14, 04:01 PM
And not only does the trick come up at level 9 - since the two component classes are Totemist and Warblade, it's not the sort of build that's useless until it can get everything together (when it clicks into insanity).

On the Warshaper note, there was a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?286497-101-Natural-Weapons) on here a while ago with the goal of listing all natural weapons from any official source, to see how many natural attacks a Warshaper could get without resorting to inventing crazy things or saying every different creature's bite counts as a different weapon.

It got to quite a bit.

2014-08-14, 08:04 PM
Well, this thread is already won (what with a million attacks already being achieved), but I'll throw my two non-TO coppers into the pot.

The Dervish can treat scimitars as light weapons and their capstone lets them double their attacks per round when dancing.

-The Master Thrower thrown weapon trick "Palm Throw" lets the character choose to double attacks, exempting it from the "2 x2s are a x3" 3.X general rule.

-Monk Flurry of Blows stacks with dual-wielding/multiwielding. Scimitars aren't monk weapons, though...

-Which brings us to Aptitude: the Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade Weapon Aptitude class ability and the Aptitude weapon enchantment allow a character to apply feats applying to a single particular weapon to apply to either a weapon you train with (class ability) or to the weapon it's on (the enchantment). Either way, this can be used to make the feats "Lightning Mace", "Roundhouse Kick" and "Whirling Steel Strike" apply to whatever weapon you want.

-Of course, paying for tons of enchanted crescent daggers is the only way around having to go pick them all up, and even then you sacrifice efficiency. If, instead, you take 4 levels of Bloodstorm Blade, your daggers return to you between attacks. Now you only need two (or four, if your DM is stingy and overly technical). Because these feats can be applied to any weapon via Aptitude, scimitars will work.

-Bonus feats are your friends, even if you've no use for them. Trade them away via Dark Chaos Shuffle; this build will be feat-starved just to be competitive.

-Because of "Roundhouse Kick" and "Lightning Mace", we need as wide a critical threat range as possible. Serrated Steel, Laminated Steel, Improved Critical feat...anything that extends your critical threat range. If 3.0 material is allowed, uses Disciple of Dispater and a weapon with base 17-20 crit threat range, we can get pretty ridiculous numbers. If you've got the feats for it, pick up Versatile Unarmed Strike and Crushing Strike to get a +1 to all other attack rolls if you hit (cumulative bonus); keep in mind the difficulty of getting both Crushing Strike and Slashing Flurry.

-This gets easier if gestalt/tristalt is available.

Well, there's my advice. If you all can put it to use, I'm glad to help out.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-14, 08:17 PM
Well, this thread is already won (what with a million attacks already being achieved), but I'll throw my two non-TO coppers into the pot.

The Dervish can treat scimitars as light weapons and their capstone lets them double their attacks per round when dancing.

-The Master Thrower thrown weapon trick "Palm Throw" lets the character choose to double attacks, exempting it from the "2 x2s are a x3" 3.X general rule.

-Monk Flurry of Blows stacks with dual-wielding/multiwielding. Scimitars aren't monk weapons, though...

-Which brings us to Aptitude: the Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade Weapon Aptitude class ability and the Aptitude weapon enchantment allow a character to apply feats applying to a single particular weapon to apply to either a weapon you train with (class ability) or to the weapon it's on (the enchantment). Either way, this can be used to make the feats "Lightning Mace", "Roundhouse Kick" and "Whirling Steel Strike" apply to whatever weapon you want.

-Of course, paying for tons of enchanted crescent daggers is the only way around having to go pick them all up, and even then you sacrifice efficiency. If, instead, you take 4 levels of Bloodstorm Blade, your daggers return to you between attacks. Now you only need two (or four, if your DM is stingy and overly technical). Because these feats can be applied to any weapon via Aptitude, scimitars will work.

-Bonus feats are your friends, even if you've no use for them. Trade them away via Dark Chaos Shuffle; this build will be feat-starved just to be competitive.

-Because of "Roundhouse Kick" and "Lightning Mace", we need as wide a critical threat range as possible. Serrated Steel, Laminated Steel, Improved Critical feat...anything that extends your critical threat range. If 3.0 material is allowed, uses Disciple of Dispater and a weapon with base 17-20 crit threat range, we can get pretty ridiculous numbers. If you've got the feats for it, pick up Versatile Unarmed Strike and Crushing Strike to get a +1 to all other attack rolls if you hit (cumulative bonus); keep in mind the difficulty of getting both Crushing Strike and Slashing Flurry.

-This gets easier if gestalt/tristalt is available.

Well, there's my advice. If you all can put it to use, I'm glad to help out.

Actually, a lot of that stuff is part of the "one million+ attacks" build, especially crescent knives, palm throw, and the dervish. Because Thousand Cuts is only one round per day, it's not a sustainable total; the massive number of attacks is also fairly heavily dependent on the assumption that monstrous centipedes have 100 legs, which (assuming proportions identical to most large, predatory, venomous real-life centipedes) is more than double the number they really have. I already covered this earlier in the thread, but after adjusting for 46 rather than 100 legs (which removes a total of 540 arms from the monstrosity) and ignoring Thousand Cuts (i.e. assuming it's not in use/worn off), it's something closer to 200,000 attacks (my math was very rough, only an estimate). Still crazy, but that's expected when you're working with epic-level kobold shenanigans based on template application and a pair of NPC helpers.

strangebloke
2014-08-14, 09:54 PM
In all honesty, while the million attack build is really impressive, there really isn't that much to it outside of template abuse and item abuse. Whatever group put that together drew from a massive array of knowledge that is impressive by itself, but... I don't really find that to be interesting.

I guess that that is just a product of my D&D experience, where one of the rules is that non-humanoids are not allowed as PC races, with specific exceptions (dragons, certain animals). Obviously, rules of this sort have no place in an optimization forum, but it still makes me less interested in builds like the million-attack lizzipede.

I mean, combining palm throw, bloodstorm blade, thousand cuts, and palm throw is really cool, but the process used to get 1111 off-hand attacks isn't really so interesting to me.

dextercorvia
2014-08-14, 10:14 PM
All of them.

Swordsage1/Warblade1/Crusader1/Warlock1

Feats: Extra Granted Maneuver

As a swordsage and warblade, pick up all of the Crusader Maneuvers you can. Save White Raven Tactics, and get it as a Crusader Maneuver -- you will only have 3 left, all of which will be granted every time you take a turn. (Jr. Idiot Crusader)

Wait for your initiative.
Eldritch Blast
White Raven Tactics on yourself

Rinse, repeat. There is no bottom of the initiative count, so you keep taking turns, and the round never ends.

Erik Vale
2014-08-14, 10:25 PM
*Skips to the end*
Ok, infinity has been reached through features apparently, but if you wish to do so through money instead, the Ghostly Arm Graft [Libris Mortis] gives you a ghostly arm with a incorporeal touch attack for 3000gp, and you can have a infinite number of them. For ranged, use slings [There's a shroud that gives all your melee attacks ghost touch for 5000 [and +1 Deflection AC], so that should let you wield them].

Oh, and you can fit a Spiked Dastana, a Spiked shield, A weapon, Elbow Blade and Hand blade [+the base attack, guantlet would prevent] on each arm, providing you with an additional 5 attacks on top of the incorporeal one. These are all light attacks and you qualify for multiweapon fighting, thus only taking -2 to hit.

But, DR 5+/X will mock you.

strangebloke
2014-08-14, 10:44 PM
All of them.

As a swordsage and warblade, pick up all of the Crusader Maneuvers you can. Save White Raven Tactics, and get it as a Crusader Maneuver -- you will only have 3 left, all of which will be granted every time you take a turn. (Jr. Idiot Crusader)

Eldritch Blast

Rinse, repeat. There is no bottom of the initiative count, so you keep taking turns, and the round never ends.

I was wondering when someone would bring that up. You were actually the first person I saw mentioning that build, so its kind of funny.

Nightraiderx
2014-08-15, 06:31 AM
All of them.

Eldritch Blast

You'd need alot higher levels, because IL with other classes DO NOT stack so you'd need at least 8 levels of other classes or dipping more crusader levels which would unbalance the idiot crusader.

Another one of my favorites is lightning maces warblade and then crusader into Disciple of Dissapater. kukri's be damned if they aren't at least having 10+ crit threat, and with crusader you grab aura of perfect Order and can take 11, which with the crit increases from a normal kukri doubled. that means infinite attack chances whenever you do decide to attack. (believe with kukri's after the second improved critical expansion have a threat of 9-20)

cerin616
2014-08-15, 07:50 AM
It also relies on using Palm Throw, so you need 1,111 crescent knives per full attack or it runs out pretty fast. Also, a very large majority of its arms are acquired through the assumption that Monstrous Centipedes have 100 legs; the Monster Manual does not specify how many legs they have, and most real-life centipedes have 42 to 46 (Almost all of the big, predatory, venomous centipedes have somewhere around this number). Assuming proportions remain the same in Monstrous Centipedes, it should lose around half of its attacks, and without throwing 600-ish crescent blades/turn from its other hands, its attack number halves again. Some admittedly very rough math leaves the attack total at around 202,000 after thousand cuts. Not quite as impressive, considering where it started.

other potential issues (and this is based off possible DM interpretation) is that bloodstorm blades "Thunderous Throw" states that "You may treat your ranged attack rolls as melee attacks" which, again depending on interpretation, could be read as "you make a ranged attack and resolve it as a melee attack" which wouldn't work with Dervish, because you "double the number of melee attacks you make"

Chronos
2014-08-15, 09:05 AM
For the junior version of the idiot crusader, you start with warblade at first or second level, take one level of crusader by the third level at latest, and then just bide your time with other classes until you have a high enough IL, and then take one or two levels of Master of Nine (one level is enough for White Raven Tactics, but it's useful to have a second maneuver you can also spam). Swordsage isn't actually necessary, though it would make it easier to qualify for Master of Nine. Shadow Sun Ninja or other ToB prestige classes will let you reach the required IL easier, and fighter levels will help you get the prerequisite feats faster, but both are optional.

Nightraiderx, Aura of Perfect Order isn't enough, because it's only usable 1/turn. Besides which, if you're using a build like that, you'd really prefer for your stance to be Blood in the Water. To get an infinite number of attacks from the Lightning Mace trick, you need to both get your threat range to at least 10-20, and to get a way to get more than one extra attack per threat (such as using both Lightning Mace and Roundhouse Kick).

dextercorvia
2014-08-15, 09:36 AM
You'd need alot higher levels, because IL with other classes DO NOT stack so you'd need at least 8 levels of other classes or dipping more crusader levels which would unbalance the idiot crusader.

Another one of my favorites is lightning maces warblade and then crusader into Disciple of Dissapater. kukri's be damned if they aren't at least having 10+ crit threat, and with crusader you grab aura of perfect Order and can take 11, which with the crit increases from a normal kukri doubled. that means infinite attack chances whenever you do decide to attack. (believe with kukri's after the second improved critical expansion have a threat of 9-20)

I must have been remembering a houserule saying that Initiating classes stacked 1/1. I was also thinking WRT was 2nd level. Been too long since I messed with that trick. Not a lot higher levels.

Switch to Warblade/Swordsage/Warlock6/Crusader1.

You can still get Extra Granted Maneuver at 9, then, and you are golden.

*Warlock6 is not necessary, it's just there for the touch attack.

Nightraiderx
2014-08-15, 09:44 AM
For the junior version of the idiot crusader, you start with warblade at first or second level, take one level of crusader by the third level at latest, and then just bide your time with other classes until you have a high enough IL, and then take one or two levels of Master of Nine (one level is enough for White Raven Tactics, but it's useful to have a second maneuver you can also spam). Swordsage isn't actually necessary, though it would make it easier to qualify for Master of Nine. Shadow Sun Ninja or other ToB prestige classes will let you reach the required IL easier, and fighter levels will help you get the prerequisite feats faster, but both are optional.

Nightraiderx, Aura of Perfect Order isn't enough, because it's only usable 1/turn. Besides which, if you're using a build like that, you'd really prefer for your stance to be Blood in the Water. To get an infinite number of attacks from the Lightning Mace trick, you need to both get your threat range to at least 10-20, and to get a way to get more than one extra attack per threat (such as using both Lightning Mace and Roundhouse Kick).

Ah if it's only useable one per round then yea, blood in the water it is. I had forgotten about roundhouse kick stuff.