PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition. Elsa From Frozen Build.

Metahuman1
2014-08-13, 05:37 PM
PL 10 (304)
STRENGTH 1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+7)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Royalty) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Singing) 14 (+16)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Benefit 4 (Queen of Arendelle), Great Endurance, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Eternal Winter" (All Powers Linked)
"Chilled to the Bone" Weaken Stamina 4 (Extras: Reaction +3, Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [24]
"Make Brittle" Weaken Toughness 8 (Extras: Affects Objects Only +0, Reaction +3, Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [48]
"The Snow Glows White on the Mountain Tonight" Environment 14 (30 miles; Cold 2, Impede Movement 2, Visibility) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [35]
"Snowstorm" Concealment 2 (Extras: Affects Others, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [6]

"The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway"
Immunity 10 (Cold Effects) [10]
Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation- Extreme Cold, Water-Walking) [4]
Movement 1 (Trackless) (Flaws: Limited to Within Snow) [1]
Enhanced Skills 8: Athletics 8 (+15) (Flaws: Limited to Within Ice & Snow) [2]
Enhanced Advantages 1: Quick Change [1]

"Outran a Freaking Horse Up a Mountain" (seriously, how did she get there so quickly?)
Speed 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Limited to Within Snow) [1]

"Castle in the Mountains" Create 10 (Feats: Innate, Precise 2- Friggin' Gorgeous) (Extras: Continuous) (33) -- [38]

AE: "Frozen" Affliction 9 (Strength; Hindered, Fatigued & Vulnerable/Immobile, Defenseless & Exhausted) (Feats: Reversible) (Extras: Extra Condition +2, Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (28)
AE: "Icicle Bararage" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (16)
AE: "Frozen Fractals" Move Object 8 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Ice & Snow) (17)
AE: "Frozen Heart" Affliction 10 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Transformed to Ice) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Uncontrolled, Limited to 1 Rank Per Minute) (20)
AE: "Frozen Pond" Affliction 8 (Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Immobile) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (24)

Summon Snowman 7 (Extras: Heroic +2, 2 Minions +2, Variable- Snowmen, Continuous) [56]

"Ice Blocking"
Enhanced Dodge 4 [4]
Enhanced Advantages 1: Uncanny Dodge [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Chilled to the Bone +4 Area (+4 Weaken, DC 14)
Make Brittle +8 Area (+8 Weaken, DC 18)
Frozen +9 (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Frozen Heart +10 Area (+10 Weaken, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (+8 Ice Blocking, DC 14-18), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Secret (An Ice Person)- Elsa's frozen gift was known only to her parents (Anna was brainwashed to forget such a thing for her own safety) and the Trolls, and she has been isolating herself from the rest of the world to prevent her dark and dangerous secret from coming out. She wears gloves to prevent her hands from automatically freezing objects on contact.
Responsibility (Conceal, Don't Feel)- Elsa's powers mean that she cannot interact with others. She is intensely lonely, but knows that she cannot open up to others, lest her secret get out or she injures them. Her powers are linked to her emotional state- she must maintain extreme calm at all times, or else they will go out of control. Anger, fear (the key component of her powers unleashing themselves... particularly nasty because of how much she fears her own powers or disappointing others), nervousness, even love... she must restrain them all, preventing anyone from piercing her frozen heart. Even her ice creations will take shape to reflect her mood- her beautiful castle soon turns jagged, red and ugly when she's enraged or terrified. In moments of utter grief, the storm and snow will hold in place- time standing still.
Motivation (A Kingdom of Isolation)- Elsa has been isolated for so long, forced to withhold all of her emotions, that she longs for a place to call her own. When her powers are uncovered and she's chased away from her very own coronation, she flees into the mountains, where she finally lets her restrained emotions go in a glorious display. Now, happier than she's ever been, all she wants to do is be left alone, and never have to hurt (or see) another living soul.
---
Relationship (Anna)- Anna & Elsa loved playing together as children, but then one day, Elsa injured her sister, and was forced to hide away to avoid doing so again- she couldn't even tell Anna why. While Anna desperately tries to get through to her beloved sister, Elsa refuses for Anna's own safety, and to protect her own secret.
Responsibility (Arendelle)- With the deaths of the girls' parents three years previous, Elsa became the regent of Arendelle, their small kingdom. Finally coming of age, her subjects are now her responsibility, and she has many duties to uphold- many of which involve her ineracting with others. She gives a desperate, worried look at the portrait of her dead father, the King, feeling the full weight of it.
Power Loss (Snow Powers)- Elsa's gloves can partially restrain her growing powers- she can avoid freezing things instantly by wearing confining gloves, and anything covering her hands appears to slow down her powers. Alas, the effects are only temporary, and her powers will slowly grow over such simple constraints.
Guilt (Monstrous Power)- Elsa's powers have injured her sister twice now, and have caused a terrible curse to fall over Arendelle. She believes herself to be a danger to everyone around her, and a monster.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 231 / Defenses: 10 (304)

So, short hand, 304 points for a PL 10 character. Can this be done at that power level for a more reasonable number of points? Like, say, close to 150 or so?

Sith_Happens
2014-08-13, 07:20 PM
First off, if Chilled to the Bone and Make Brittle are referencing the parts of the film that I think they are (freezing Anna and escaping the dungeon, respectively) then there's no reason they need to be Reaction or separate from the array. That saves 70 points right off the bat.

I don't think anyone will complain if you buy Olaf via the Minion advantage instead of modifying Summon Snowman to include him; it's not like Elsa is ever going to dismiss him. Minion 2 should be sufficient to build Olaf seeing as he's just the Plucky Comic ReliefTM, which saves a net 19 points. If you want to save another 14 points, we don't know that the huge golem was Heroic, it was really slow and I'm pretty sure it didn't fail a Toughness check for the whole movie.

So that brings the total down to just under 200 points. I can't think of a way to lower it much further without outright cutting powers out.

...Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the castle can't be part of the array without disappearing as soon as you use anything else, and making it a separate power will add 32 points back on.

Metahuman1
2014-08-13, 08:19 PM
Personally, my thought would be to ask the GM about having it be something I once did as a power stunt, thus meaning that since it probably wouldn't be that significant an advantage in 99% of the games I'd actually think about playing the build in, it wouldn't be eating up points either.

And being that Olaf is kinda unique to the characters Movie portrayal, we could assume that he's his own character for the purpose of this excersize and thus, she doesn't need to spend points on him.

How many points does that save us?

Beleriphon
2014-08-13, 08:33 PM
...Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the castle can't be part of the array without disappearing as soon as you use anything else, and making it a separate power will add 32 points back on.

You can also make it a headquarters and use Equipment Points. As it is the only thing it needs are the residence part, defenses (the golem), staff (the golem) and the isolated feature. I think you could probably do it for around 10EP without too much trouble, which works out to 2PP.

Metahuman1
2014-08-14, 11:06 AM
Alright, that gets it down a few points.

Any other ideas? Things we could do to drop some points off the build?

Sith_Happens
2014-08-14, 02:08 PM
Well we're already down to 179, which isn't nearly as far over.

Snowstorm seems extremely questionable. Assuming it's for the blizzard near the end when she's looking for Anna, that's just Snow Glows White being Precise. Six points saved, which isn't much but it's something.

Most of the Abilities seem too high to me. There's no way she has Fighting 3, for instance.

Metahuman1
2014-08-14, 03:24 PM
Fighting strength and stamina can all come down to 0. Not sure about agility or Dex though. Presence, Awareness and Intellect seem about right. And the defenses can be straight increased for half the cost of the penalized ability's.

For the three that's minus another 6, get's us down to 166 assuming Agility and Dex are Ok. (Does anyone feel if there Ok or not?)

Benefit 4 might be knocked down a point or two in converting to actual play, so that's down to 165 or 164. Getting closer, just looking to scrape off about 14 more points.

horngeek
2014-08-14, 03:53 PM
I have seen this done in 2e as a valid 150PP character, although not on this side- if you want me to supply a link?

Metahuman1
2014-08-14, 04:02 PM
I'm not really versed/prone to playing second edition, but sure, go ahead. Might help give us an idea or two. =)

horngeek
2014-08-14, 05:44 PM
Here you go. (http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/topic/6795-aas-all-new-all-different-oddballs/?p=197508)

Basically, AA just plonked all the powers in a Big Freaking Array.

Esprit15
2014-08-14, 05:55 PM
I would drop her Intelligence as well. Nothing about her implied being especially smart. That's another 4-6 points down.

horngeek
2014-08-14, 06:14 PM
It's implied, with her reference to fractals in Let It Go. :smalltongue:

Metahuman1
2014-08-14, 06:58 PM
I'd say it's still worth knocking it down to a 1, that's still above avarage for an adult human in this system. That's 4. Ten more to go.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-14, 07:08 PM
Athletics is way too high and Great Endurance is questionable at best. I assume they're both just there to "account for" her climbing the mountain so easily and staying there without having brought food, both of which were clearly narrative license in action.

Metahuman1
2014-08-14, 07:38 PM
Actually, yeah, and hey, I probably don't need tha many ranks in Expertise Royalty or Expertise Singing either. That's 1 for the Advantage, say, 2 for Athletics, 2 for Expertise royalty, and say 5 for Expertise singing.

Guys, I'm gonna have to put the sheet into Hero Lab, but, I think we did it.

AMFV
2014-08-14, 07:57 PM
Athletics is way too high and Great Endurance is questionable at best. I assume they're both just there to "account for" her climbing the mountain so easily and staying there without having brought food, both of which were clearly narrative license in action.

Also we could say the same about her Speed power. Particularly since she seems to lack it at points when it would be very useful such as the climax.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-14, 08:17 PM
Also we could say the same about her Speed power. Particularly since she seems to lack it at points when it would be very useful such as the climax.

I do think it would be fun to give her Feature (can sustain herself on snow alone), and now we have a point to spend on it!:smallbiggrin:

Esprit15
2014-08-14, 10:52 PM
Let's just peg all of her powers as uncontrolled! :smalltongue: Only happens when plot demands!

AMFV
2014-08-14, 11:23 PM
Let's just peg all of her powers as uncontrolled! :smalltongue: Only happens when plot demands!

No... there are some very visible powers she controls. But superspeed is not really something we see demonstrated except for in one case, and that's not even an explicit case, but rather an assumed one. Intelligence far above normal is also not explicit, so we can ax that. It appears that they tried to replicate everything that was done without considering what could probably be squirreled away as artistic.

horngeek
2014-08-16, 08:10 PM
If you take the movie as her 'first adventure', then Uncontrolled is not so suitable, as she does learn to control it by the end of the movie.

Metahuman1
2014-12-27, 02:03 AM
Update:

And, I have finally crunched her into a more or less 150 PP PL 10 build. I know, it's not a perfect Expy, part of that is allowing for her being in a different kind of setting (Modern Super Heros, likely X-men ish.). But I wanted to post it here since you guys helped me get it down.

Kathren Silver. Cryo. - PL 10

Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 3, Dexterity 2, Fighting 0, Intellect 1, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Attractive, Equipment 1, Improved Trip, Quick Change. , Ranged Attack, Startle, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Athletics 2 (+2), Deception 5 (+7), Expertise: Buisness. 2 (+3), Expertise: Singing. 4 (+5), Intimidation 3 (+5), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+4)

Powers
Eternal Winter
Chilled to the Bone.: Burst Area Weaken 4 (Affects: Stamina., Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 14; Burst Area 3: 120 feet radius sphere, DC 14, Reaction 3: reaction)
Frozen Fractals. : Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Increased Duration: continuous, Innate, Precise)
Frozen Heart. : Progressive Burst Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Fatigued, 2nd degree: Exhausted, 3rd degree: Transformed, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 20, Progressive; Limited: Limited 1 Rank Per Minute.)
Frozen Pond: Burst Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Hindered & Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Prone & Immobile, Resisted by: Athletics, DC 20; Burst Area 3: 120 feet radius sphere, DC 20, Extra Condition; Instant Recovery, Limited Degree)
Frozen.: Line Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Hindered, Fatigued & Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Immobile, Defenseless & Exhausted, Resisted by: Strenght. , DC 20; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, DC 20, Extra Condition 2; Limited Degree)
Icicle Bararage: Line Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, DC 20)
Let it Go. : Move Object 10 (25 tons; Increased Range: perception, Precise; Limited Material: Ice and Snow.)
Make Brittle: Burst Area Weaken 8 (Affects: Toughness, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 18; Affects Objects Only, Burst Area 3: 120 feet radius sphere, DC 18)
Icey Defense.
Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 36 (Linked; Traits: Dodge +7 (+10), Fortitude +10 (+10), Parry +10 (+10), Will +8 (+10), Advantages: Uncanny Dodge)
Protection: Protection 10 (Linked; +10 Toughness)
Quick Change (Advantages: Quick Change. ; Limited: Attire Only. )
Snow Glows White on the Moutain Tonight. : Environment 14 (Cold (Extreme), Impede Movement (2 ranks), Visibility (-2), Radius: 30 miles; Precise; Fades, Limited: Winter or loose of winter like effects. , Side Effect 2: always - Power can cause short and long term damage to environment when used, depending on numerous variables)
The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway.: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Cold and related effects.)
The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway.: Movement 3 (Environmental Adaptation: Extereme Cold,, Trackless: Choose Sense 1, Water Walking 1: you sink if you are prone; Limited: Limited to Wtihin Snow.)

Equipment
Cell Phone (Smartphone), Commlink, Computer

Offense
Initiative +3
Chilled to the Bone.: Burst Area Weaken 4 (DC Fort 14)
Frozen Heart. : Progressive Burst Area Affliction 10 (DC Fort 20)
Frozen Pond: Burst Area Affliction 10 (DC Fort/Will 20)
Frozen.: Line Area Affliction 10 (DC Fort 20)
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 10)
Icicle Bararage: Line Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Let it Go. : Move Object 10 (DC 20)
Make Brittle: Burst Area Weaken 8 (DC Fort 18)
Throw, +3 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)

Complications
Conceal, Don't Feel. : In contrast to covering being able to temporarily suppress my power, keeping it covered and unused for too long causese it to build up inside me till it bursts out in an uncontrolled, and potentially very dangerous, fashion.
Guilt. : When I was Five, my powers nearly killed my older sister. It, was the first time they'd ever manifested, and intellectually I know it wasn't really my fault.

I still blame myself, I still hold myself accountable, becuase part of me just won't let it go.
Hurts. : My power, sometimes it seems to have a mind of it's own. It's been known to hurt people who make direct physical contact wtih my skin, weather it I want it too or not.
Power Loss: My powers seem to require at least some of my skin exposure, particularly around my hands, to work. Covering up, particularly with Gloves, can temporarily suppress said power. Key Word, temporarily.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 10/3, Parry 10/0, Fortitude 10/0, Toughness 10, Will 10/2

Power Points
Abilities 20 + Powers 115 + Advantages 5 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Defenses 0 = 150

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2014 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.