PDA

View Full Version : Is there a weapon enchantment that does Strength damage?

Draconi Redfir
2014-08-13, 06:07 PM
So the D&D campaign that I’ve been playing for the past two and a half years recently ended, and i figured I’d sort of wrap it up in my own way by enchanting my character's sword and armour a bit more, since the DM was allowing us to enchant our gear using experience points rather then gold.

my character in question is descended from a tribe of now extinct necromancers, a backstory i wrote up for them had them worshipping shadows, and even becoming/being consumed by them upon death, as a result of this, my enchantments to my character's sword and armour had a central theme, "mimicking, and able to be used by a Shadow", so as a result his sword naturally got the ghost touch enchantment, and his armor got the "shadow" enchantment (i recently added ghost touch as well despite the game being over, just because i saw it as necessary)

But the problem is, there really isn't too much too Shadow creatures, so i'm left looking everywhere i can for weapon and armour enchants that match them. But Shadows can do one thing that really stands out, Strength damage, where they reduce a target's strength with each touch, to the point where the target becomes a shadow if all of it is drained.

So my question is, does anybody know of a weapon enchant that does that/something similar to that? I feel it'd be fitting if my guy's sword could do some kind of strength damage, even if it's just inducing exhaustion or fatigue, or otherwise temporary, but so far i haven't been able to find anything. Does such an enchantment exist?

DarkSonic1337
2014-08-13, 06:52 PM
The Weakening weapon ehnchantment inflicts 1 point of str damage per hit (no save either). It's in the Magic Item Compendium.

Enfeebling deals 1d6+2 strength damage on a critical hit (but also requires you to beat spell resistance). Book of Exalted Deeds.

Gildedragon
2014-08-13, 08:09 PM
There are a number of poisons that do STR damage, so you could have alchemical capsules and the like that spread the substance

Draconi Redfir
2014-08-14, 03:28 AM
hmmm, both of those first options sound about right, the poison one not su much, as the character is still a paladin, and poisons are fairly evil.

I am admittedly a little hesitant about the first two, though enfeebling might be okay since it only counts on critical hits and has a save. still, despite the fact that the game is over, i'm still wondering if maybe i should try to stick to the allowed books or not (below)

•Pathfinder Core Rulebook

•Advanced Players' Guide

•Advanced Races Guide (except dragon or dragon-kin or drow, and the Race Builder chapter is right out.)

•Gamemastery Guide

•Ultimate Combat. Special Note: Gunslingers are allowed, but these concentrate solely on crossbows (light, heavy, and repeating varieties.) Be sure to check with your DM for special variant rules/ Chu Ko Nu Master Architype for this particular class.

•Ultimate Magic

•Ultimate Equipment

•PC Architypes from the Pathfinder Adventure Path Books (i.e. Curse of the Crimson Thrown, Rise of the Rune Lords)

I suppose since the campaign is over and the character is now seventeenth level i could always homebrew and enchantment unique to him, the mechanics of the system say that the items absorb small bits of your soul as they get enchanted, so something unique to him specifically wouldn't be too far fetched.

Perhaps something along the lines of "a creature struck by X weapon has a 20% chance to become fatigued. a creature that is already fatigued either by a previous strike or other means, then has a 20-40% chance of becoming exhausted. a creature that is already exhausted either by a previous strike or other means, then has a 20-50% chance to experience a 1d3 strength drain, which can be overcome by restoration spells. additional strikes continue the strength drain."

I'm not sure. what are your thoughts?

Immabozo
2014-08-14, 03:43 AM
Death carries a large strength penalty with it.

Draconi Redfir
2014-08-14, 12:49 PM
Clever, but not exactly what i'm looking for:smalltongue:

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 04:43 PM
Weakening was actually updated from Shining South. In the MIC it gives a -4 strength penalty on crits. Being a penalty means it doesn't stack with itself, of course. lasts 10 minutes, +1 bonus.

So... they changed it, now it sucks.

Immabozo
2014-08-14, 05:16 PM
Clever, but not exactly what i'm looking for:smalltongue:

Always happy to help

Fax Celestis
2014-08-14, 05:19 PM
It's psionic, but there's always strength of my enemy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/s/strength-of-my-enemy). It's the equivalent of a 2nd level spell, so you could see about getting it added as a spell somewhere.

Immabozo
2014-08-14, 05:22 PM
It's psionic, but there's always strength of my enemy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/s/strength-of-my-enemy). It's the equivalent of a 2nd level spell, so you could see about getting it added as a spell somewhere.

Of note, that is pathfinder, not 3.X. I do not recognize the power from 3.X, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 05:26 PM
Of note, that is pathfinder, not 3.X. I do not recognize the power from 3.X, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist

allowed books

•Pathfinder Core Rulebook

•Advanced Players' Guide

•Advanced Races Guide (except dragon or dragon-kin or drow, and the Race Builder chapter is right out.)

•Gamemastery Guide

•Ultimate Combat. Special Note: Gunslingers are allowed, but these concentrate solely on crossbows (light, heavy, and repeating varieties.) Be sure to check with your DM for special variant rules/ Chu Ko Nu Master Architype for this particular class.

•Ultimate Magic

•Ultimate Equipment

•PC Architypes from the Pathfinder Adventure Path Books (i.e. Curse of the Crimson Thrown, Rise of the Rune Lords)I'll go out on a limb and guess he doesn't mind.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-14, 05:43 PM

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/strengthofMyEnemy.htm

One of my favorite psionic powers. I particularly like coupling it with prevenom weapon on a psychic warrior archer.

Immabozo
2014-08-14, 06:19 PM
I'll go out on a limb and guess he doesn't mind.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/strengthofMyEnemy.htm

One of my favorite psionic powers. I particularly like coupling it with prevenom weapon on a psychic warrior archer.

I stand twice corrected, lol.

Fax, that is a funny combo! Str and con damage, that is pretty killer!

Fax Celestis
2014-08-14, 07:10 PM
Yeah, it's pretty awesome. And once you have the powers up and running, you can Rapid Shot your way to debuffing glory. Add vampiric blade for additional fun.

Immabozo
2014-08-14, 07:39 PM
Yeah, it's pretty awesome. And once you have the powers up and running, you can Rapid Shot your way to debuffing glory. Add vampiric blade for additional fun.

Wow, I really want to make this character now!

EDIT: Prevenom wears off after the first hit, right?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-14, 07:47 PM
Sure doesn't. It's for "as long as the weapon remains in your grasp", and it doesn't have the "until discharged" tag on the duration like prevenom does. And remember, bows bestow their enhancements on their ammunition.

Immabozo
2014-08-14, 07:56 PM
Sure doesn't. It's for "as long as the weapon remains in your grasp", and it doesn't have the "until discharged" tag on the duration like prevenom does. And remember, bows bestow their enhancements on their ammunition.

You... you.... you rules lawyer you