PDA

View Full Version : Getting a weapon to teleport back to you?

Seharvepernfan
2014-08-13, 06:22 PM
I'm looking for a way to get a weapon to magically come back to your hand. I'm not talking about the "returning" quality; I mean for when you get disarmed or greased or whatever and the weapon is on the ground or in another creatures hands, and you magically get it back in your hands, preferably as a free action. Is there any way to do this? A spell? A weapon enhancement?

MilesTiden
2014-08-13, 06:23 PM
Well uh, when in doubt, go with my favorite magic item, the -2 Cursed Sword.

(In all seriousness, I actually really like the -2 Cursed Sword in a lot of ways, and it technically does what you're asking. :smalltongue:)

EDIT: Also, I believe there's a weapon crystal that does this in the MIC. But that's boring.

Darkweave31
2014-08-13, 06:24 PM
There's the teleporting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#teleporting)quality but it's more like returning than what you want.

StoneCipher
2014-08-13, 06:30 PM
Having exactly what you want might be impossible. Although weapon chains do prevent your weapon from going anywhere in the first place. Might want to look into that.

Seharvepernfan
2014-08-13, 06:36 PM
Well uh, when in doubt, go with my favorite magic item, the -2 Cursed Sword.

(In all seriousness, I actually really like the -2 Cursed Sword in a lot of ways, and it technically does what you're asking. :smalltongue:)

EDIT: Also, I believe there's a weapon crystal that does this in the MIC. But that's boring.

Yeah, they kinda left out what happens if the cursed sword is taken from you by an enemy...

I also don't particularly like weapon crystals, but in this instance, I'd consider it. I'll go look for that one.

There's the teleporting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#teleporting)quality but it's more like returning than what you want.

It says it only applies to thrown weapons.

Having exactly what you want might be impossible. Although weapon chains do prevent your weapon from going anywhere in the first place. Might want to look into that.

I know about weapon chains, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Troacctid
2014-08-13, 06:45 PM
The weapon crystal in question is the Lesser Crystal of Return. 1000 gp, lets you draw the weapon as a free action and call it to your hand from up to 30 ft away as a move action.

There's also the Incarnate Weapon soulmeld, which is a weapon that automatically returns to your hand at the start of your turn.

Seharvepernfan
2014-08-13, 07:06 PM
Well, that's a good start, at least.

Thanks for your help, folks.

heavyfuel
2014-08-13, 10:34 PM
Swift Ready spell allows you to do that, but only works once per casting.

Crimson Wolf
2014-08-14, 12:20 AM
Well I know you don't want returning BUT you could just rollplay that the weapon instead of flinging back to you just blinks right back into your hands. And returning weapons can be returned at will so disarm shouldn't be a worry. Just a suggestion is all but yeah, just rollplay it like that. If you want say the item is a special curse that, no matter how far you throw if you leave it behind, it poofs back into your inventory. Might not be a bad curse so to speak but, have it have some negative effect like - on diplomacy checks or something because it has a bad history.

heavyfuel
2014-08-14, 12:24 AM
And returning weapons can be returned at will so disarm shouldn't be a worry

This is just not true. From the SRD:

A returning weapon flies through the air back to the creature that threw it

If you didn't throw the weapon, then it doesn't return to your hand. Also, the Returning property can only be placed in throw weapons, so you can't put it on your longsword or whatever.

Crimson Wolf
2014-08-14, 12:26 AM
Ah my bad, been a bit since I looked up returning, thought it poofed back at will. Again my bad D:

Rubik
2014-08-14, 12:39 AM
The Retrieve (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/retrieve.htm) power will do it, though if it's held by an opponent it'll only work if the enemy fails its Will save.

Segev
2014-08-14, 12:52 AM
Won't help against a foe holding it, but Unseen Servants can pick up fallen weapons, walk them back to you, and hand them to you. Handing off items is a free action, and the Servant spends the other actions required.

Now I want to start a thread discussing whether a -2 cursed sword will leap to anybody who is cursed by it. So the bad guy who steals it from you, if he wields it, finds that he has it when he draws it. And you have it, still, when you draw it.

Put that in a party. Curse each of your meleeists with that sword, and get everybody quickdraw. Each draws their weapon at the start of their turn, and the cursed sword jumps to them! One sword shared across the whole party. Talk about economical!

krlsmnk
2015-12-31, 01:37 AM
There is a unique named "Simple Bow" from Weapons of Legacy (pg. 145) with the following ability unlocked at 5th level:

Call to Hand (Su): Beginning at 5th level, at will
as a move action that does not provoke an attack of
opportunity, you can call Simple Bow to your hand
from anywhere on the same plane.

This seems more like what you want. At least there is an actual rule for it somewhere in printed legal rules. As for pricing it, and assigning it a + equivalent value, talk to your DM.

gorfnab
2015-12-31, 04:39 PM
Spiked Shield with the Called (MIC) enhancement?

mabriss lethe
2015-12-31, 05:34 PM
Call weapon psionic power might halfway fit the bill. (though it really just creates the weapon in your hand every time you cast it.)

Cerefel
2015-12-31, 07:19 PM
It's probably not your best option, but there is the Dimensional Reach reserve feat.

Kraken
2015-12-31, 08:30 PM
The bloodstorm blade prestige class (ToB) can make their thrown weapons ricochet back to them.

atemu1234
2016-01-01, 12:37 AM
The Retrieve (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/retrieve.htm) power will do it, though if it's held by an opponent it'll only work if the enemy fails its Will save.

Use-activated of retrieve is 156,000 gp though... (if it's Power Level x Minimum Manifester Level x 2,000 gp).

Haruki-kun
2016-01-01, 10:35 AM
The Winged Mod: Thread Necromancy.