PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Momentous Attack

jlousivy
2007-03-05, 10:46 PM
Momentous Attack[General]
Prerequisites: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack
Benefit: For every five feet traveled(not via spells,spell-like abilities, su abilities, etc) in a round before an attack, you gain a +1 unnamed bonus to your next damage roll. This damage is multiplied if the attack is a critical hit. This feat may be used multiple times per round provided you move between each attack.
This attack must be a melee attack or a thrown weapon attack.

What do you guys think? I think it would be nice for a monk/fighter that has the hit and run style since they seem to be lacking for their lack of full-attack.

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-06, 05:12 PM
Does it apply to ranged attacks? I imagine not.

And does the movement have to be in a straight line? Because otherwise a character with mobility would just run in a circle around the guy, take the one AoO, and bam, +6 damage. True, it would mean you have less attacks, but against someone with DR, might be worth it.

Perhaps make it work only on a charge. Really, I think you're looking for the Flying Kick feat from Complete Warrior, or something like it.

Marcotic
2007-03-06, 05:28 PM
Refrase it, it has value.

Szatany
2007-03-06, 06:00 PM
Momentous Attack[General]
Prerequisites: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack
Benefit: For every five feet traveled(not via spells,spell-like abilities, su abilities, etc) in a round before an attack, you gain a +1 unnamed bonus to your next damage roll. This damage is multiplied if the attack is a critical hit. This feat may be used multiple times per round provided you move between each attack.

What do you guys think?
I think a 20th level monk with run feat can grant herself (90x5/5) 90 points of bonus damage. A little too much.

(but tarrasque's better: rush and run for +120 :D)

jlousivy
2007-03-06, 07:24 PM
A 20th level monk could only do a move action--attack which would be +18 dmg.... unless i'm missing something (i only really have access to the SRD)

I could see the running around in a circle and attacking giving momentum, since you are moving then you have your arm propel the weapon further. and in that situation--- they still get an AoO and can full-attack you the following round

edit: yeah, only to melee and thrown

Szatany
2007-03-07, 03:38 AM
A 20th level monk could only do a move action--attack which would be +18 dmg.... unless i'm missing something (i only really have access to the SRD)

Yes, you are :).

Benefit: For every five feet traveled(not via spells,spell-like abilities, su abilities, etc) in a round before an attack,

....that means that I can run for a full round, and then being next round with an attack to gain benefits from running in the previous round.

Icewalker
2007-03-07, 03:50 AM
I think that the phrasing of that means "in a round, before an attack" as in in the same round, but before the attack.

I think it may be a bit overpowered, because it basically adds 6 damage on any charge attacks if you don't have any move bonuses, not to mention the kind of damage monks could do with increased movement.

Demented
2007-03-07, 04:52 AM
So... assuming Szatany's idea works...
Two move actions in the previous round followed by a second in the current round, totalling 3*90/5 or +54 damage for a single do-or-die attack over two rounds. That's... amusing, really. I wouldn't say it's overpowered... it IS at level 18. Though, you can get a reasonable bonus from expeditious retreat, at lower levels.

Szatany
2007-03-07, 05:36 AM
So... assuming Szatany's idea works...
Two move actions in the previous round followed by a second in the current round, totalling 3*90/5 or +54 damage for a single do-or-die attack over two rounds. That's... amusing, really. I wouldn't say it's overpowered... it IS at level 18. Though, you can get a reasonable bonus from expeditious retreat, at lower levels.
More :smallsmile:

Two move actions by 20th level monk with dash and run feats. Her speed is 95 - She takes a fullround action to run - that's (95x5)/5 bonus damage, or +95 damage.
Now, I'm not saying that's broken in actual combat, as you have to forgo a full round of attacks, but in the 1st round before combat, it's broken.

If you reword the feat so it grants benefits in the same round, it gets better (less broken) - a monk with 95 speed can only add 95x2/5, or 36 damage upon charge.

Roderick_BR
2007-03-07, 06:55 AM
You want a charge-like bonus to damage, right? Maybe just allow a player to get a +2 to damage instead of attack when charging.

Szatany
2007-03-07, 07:11 AM
I'd change the effects to something like this:

You gain +1 bonus to damage on attack you make immediately after taking a 5 ft. step.
You gain +3 bonus to damage on attack you make immediately after taking move action.
You gain +5 bonus to damage on attack that is part of charge action.

jlousivy
2007-03-07, 12:31 PM
I'm not trying to make a feat to increase charging potential, heck, i hear 'leap attack' and 'shock trooper'? are good for that.
I'm just wanting a way for a spring attack type/hit and run attacker can be at least sub-par instead of a neusince*(sp)

Matthew
2007-03-08, 05:25 PM
Just impose a limit that scales with Base Attack Bonus - it's always the solution.

Arceliar
2007-03-08, 05:35 PM
I'm not trying to make a feat to increase charging potential, heck, i hear 'leap attack' and 'shock trooper'? are good for that.
I'm just wanting a way for a spring attack type/hit and run attacker can be at least sub-par instead of a neusince*(sp)

That's what the Scout class is for. Look into their skirmish ability, make a feat that functions similarly (ie: if you move 10 or more feet in a round, then any attacks you make after that point gain some sort of bonus).

EDIT: even just adding a dumbed down version of skirmish as a feat might not be half bad.

Szatany
2007-03-08, 05:41 PM
Why not something like this then:

Mighty Spring Attack
You add your BAB to damage on attack made as a part of spring attack action.

Demented
2007-03-08, 06:46 PM
There are spring attack actions? O.o

Szatany
2007-03-09, 01:03 AM
There are spring attack actions? O.oNo, but I just wanted to illustrate what that feat does.

Assasinater
2007-03-09, 04:33 AM
Actually, this is a law of physics that shouldn't only be limited to people who take this feat. I mean, there is nothing special to run before throwing a stone (for example) to make it go further/do more damage. It should be made into a general rule. But what you should rephrase anyway is, that movements made only in the direction of the target count.

Szatany
2007-03-09, 04:51 AM
Actually, this is a law of physics that shouldn't only be limited to people who take this feat. I mean, there is nothing special to run before throwing a stone (for example) to make it go further/do more damage. It should be made into a general rule. But what you should rephrase anyway is, that movements made only in the direction of the target count.
Also, it won't count with slashing weapons, bite attacks, and so on.

Assasinater
2007-03-09, 11:03 AM
Hmm, I think since the sword will travel both forward and to left/right while slashing, there is no reason it wouldn't be affected too. But I'm not sure about attacks like bites. In fact, it would be better if the charge rule is edited to affect every attack by the movement factor.