PDA

View Full Version : Exploration in 5th Edition

Kaiser Omnik
2014-08-13, 08:31 PM
As the title says, I would like to get your opinion on the state of exploration in this new edition, considering that it's supposedly one of the 3 pillars of D&D, alongside combat and social encounters. I was very enthusiastic when they first announced their intention to focus on exploration, but from what I've seen since then 5th edition doesn't seem to strongly embrace the concept . Or it doesn't embrace it as much as older editions which were explicitely built around exploration mechanics such as dungeon crawls (including Gold to XP), hexcrawls, etc.

Are there any novel mechanics (or reimagined mechanics) in 5th edition that center around exploration? Do you feel like at least some classes were designed with exploration in mind? The rogue, I guess, although I'm not sure how good they really are at it... If not, I wonder if anyone has suggestions as how to facilitate exploration for all types of characters and/or implement more exploration elements in adventures.

Sartharina
2014-08-13, 08:35 PM
The greatly reduced emphasis on combat class abilities helps, as does the more open-ended nature of ability checks.

Palegreenpants
2014-08-13, 08:35 PM
As a matter of fact, 5E is well geared for exploration. It provides the DM with clear rules for wandering and traveling in both the wilderness and in dungeons. Also, the Ranger class can be built for exploration and travel.

1of3
2014-08-14, 02:56 AM
The ranger is pretty is your elf-of-indeterminate-gender when it comes to outdoor stuff.

The trap thing associated with the rogue can be filled by other classes, if they acquire thief's tools proficiency through background or training. Although only the rogue can get expertise in it. There is also the Dungeon Delver feat, that was previewed.

As for XP for Gold, I suppose that will be an option in the DMG as it is popular in certain circles.

Malifice
2014-08-14, 03:13 AM
The greatly reduced emphasis on combat class abilities helps, as does the more open-ended nature of ability checks.

This.

By reducing crunch, they have opened up options rather than closing them.

I like this approach.

Lokiare
2014-08-15, 12:55 PM
There is less info on exploration than any other edition. If by exploration you mean 'the DM makes stuff up' then there is a lot of that in 5E. If by exploration you mean 'a well fleshed out mechanical system to handle the 1/3rd pillar of exploration' then no, there is nothing like that.

Naanomi
2014-08-15, 01:15 PM
Although only the rogue can get expertise in it. There is also the Dungeon Delver feat, that was previewed.
Or a bard, which have more ways of boosting their skills as well (song and magic).

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-15, 02:40 PM
Bards can't get Expertise in thieves' tools. Their version of Expertise only applies to skills.

Naanomi
2014-08-15, 02:53 PM
Bards can't get Expertise in thieves' tools. Their version of Expertise only applies to skills.
Good catch, I haven't been making the distinction much in my notes but there it is. Still, a Bard can be as good (or better) at the 'finding' part, and in my experience finding the trap is generally more important than disarming it.

EternalHobbyist
2014-08-16, 09:27 AM
There is less info on exploration than any other edition. If by exploration you mean 'the DM makes stuff up' then there is a lot of that in 5E. If by exploration you mean 'a well fleshed out mechanical system to handle the 1/3rd pillar of exploration' then no, there is nothing like that.

Which rules pertaining to exploration that we don't currently have would elevate Exploration to such a "well-fleshed-out pillar"?

Lokiare
2014-08-16, 08:05 PM
Which rules pertaining to exploration that we don't currently have would elevate Exploration to such a "well-fleshed-out pillar"?

Keep in mind we haven't seen the DMG and I haven't seen the PHB.

The Basic rules have 2-2/3 pages on exploration.

They have a tiny paragraph on terrain which could be expanded to cover all the dangers of various different terrains. Things losing mounts, getting lost, finding safe paths, and the various fevers (disease) you can get while in swamps, possibly discussing which natural monsters all swamps have in common like snakes, mosquito swarms (chance of disease, no damage), what kinds of weather and how that affects travel and adventuring while in the swamp, what kinds of hindering terrain there are, etc...etc...

Interacting with the environment could describe such things as the DC's for breaking down doors of various materials, destroying walls, whether an area is safe to rest in or not, etc...etc...

Describing what kind of NPCs you are likely to encounter in any given area and how they view outsiders, town sizes and availability of gear and NPC services (healing, spells, etc...etc...), the kinds of structures NPCs and towns make in the various environments (humans in a swamp might make thatch huts, while in a rocky mountainous area they might instead make castles and walled villages with houses of rough stone), etc...etc...

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure this could easily be expanded. Take a look at each of the previous editions listings of 'exploration' for an idea of what kinds of mechanics can underpin exploration.