PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Quest Ideas for individual members of the party

MonkeySage
2014-08-13, 08:54 PM
So, at the beginning of the campaign I had the idea to set aside a quest or challenge of some sort for each individual member of our group.

The players:
The leader is a cleric of Kord, and one of the two front liners in the group. He's human, chaotic good. My idea for him was that he would have some sort of contest of strength with a mysterious stranger(who's actually an aspect of Kord himself). I'm not sure what form this contest will take, but I have it planned out for later levels(suggestions on what level would be appropriate for an encounter with one's own deity would be awesome).

The magus, a sylph woman(pathfinder sylph, air elemental plane touched), has a bit more than a few screws loose, despite being a genius spellcaster and swordsman. Her broken mind has at times helped her out of difficult places, and other times just exacerbated problematic situations. I'm not sure what to do for her yet, but she's the other front liner. She has two personalities, one chaotic neutral, and one lawful evil. She's also being stalked by a vampire bard who is even crazier than she is- The vampire is in love, but has been expressing that love by delivering "gifts"... small dead animals.

The druid of the group is a hill dwarf who so far has just been tagging along; he's a worshipper of obaddhai . Lately he's been having dreams about finding a giant white stag in a forest he's never been in. The stag runs away just as he tries to approach it. It's a quest hook, but as yet no quest to accompany it. Ideas here would be most welcome.

Ranger... I've asked him what motivates his character, but as a new player(and a fairly young one at that), he has put very little thought into this. I plan to be more persistent in the future. Since he has not given me much to work with, anything that might attract rangers in general would be helpful.

The human rogue in the group is another extremely new role player, and I really wanna bait him. The first time he had the opportunity to fight one on one was with a clone of himself, picked from a mirror. My idea is that the clone represents his opposite. Since the rogue currently tends toward evil, his clone tends more towards good.

Newest addition: One of our players has just rolled a new character. Now he is playing a tiefling alchemist from a slave trading and fiercely capitalistic magocracy to the east. He left his home city-state because the culture there was particularly hostile to him(the tails and vestigial wings might have something to do with that). Since this is a new character, any ideas at all? :)

Manasam
2014-08-14, 12:02 AM
Well, fortunately you'll only have to introduce one, maybe two plot threads at a time, so let's brainstorm and see if we can't find one thing, then you can see if anything develops for the others during play.

I have a personal affinity for the idea of the more monstrous races conquering their heritage- something that the tiefling seems to be built for. Perhaps some great feat of heroism will see them accepted by their new, or their old society. Perhaps she will turn down some fiend's offer of power. Perhaps she will multiclass into one of the divine classes, such as cleric or paladin at the end of it. Or consider the white stag. Imagine that, once upon a time, there was a man who loved a woman. She held a love of the forest second only to her returned love of him. He loved her more than the sun, or the god of it he worshipped. When the two eventually died his spirit flew up to pelor's domain, and hers stayed behind as one of the earthly spirits. Now the man seeks the cleric and the woman the Druid, or vice versa, in independent efforts to reunite with each other. Perhaps their courts need to be swayed by noble heroes, or some components of an ancient ritual be recovered. Maybe the gods themselves are about due for parley from the spirits once more. As for your rogue, he may simply need time to develope. Send the clone his way some more, see what pops up after some quips from his better half.

Sagitta
2014-08-14, 07:51 PM
anything that might attract rangers in general would be helpful.
Bizarre tracks. If the ranger takes the effort to follow the trail over difficult or dangerous terrain, they mysteriously disappear after a few miles. This can be repeated several times, perhaps with further clues about the strange creature and sometimes leading to interesting locations and encounters.

If sufficiently persistent, the ranger should catch up with the exotic creature. Maybe it's a villainous monster that has been causing trouble for the PCs. Or it could be a helpful ally or potential animal companion.

MonkeySage
2014-08-15, 08:57 AM
I like your suggestions for the druid, manasam; I've got him chasing after the stag in his dreams. He's gone through a spruce forest, apparently during winter. Crossed a stream(silly dwarf thinks he can use chunks of ice flowing downstream as stepping stones XD). He went down a cliff, and has now followed the stag to a waterfall...

It's unfortunate that you focused on the ranger, Sagitta. It would have been a great suggestion, but unfortunately assassins got to him before you did! Just last night... failed his save.
Our ranger was a half elf, and had an older half brother that he did not know about. An elven wizard who has been keeping tabs on his baby half brother. This elven wizard is the ranger's new character.

I think it might be easy to motivate him, since who ever sent the assassins is responsible for his brother's death.

Sagitta
2014-08-21, 06:27 PM
It's unfortunate that you focused on the ranger, Sagitta. It would have been a great suggestion, but unfortunately assassins got to him before you did! Just last night... failed his save.
Curses! Ninja'd by ... ninjas, I guess. i didn't see that coming.

Beneath
2014-08-21, 10:29 PM
Ask the players about their characters' pasts. Work with them to come up with something of a background. Maybe someone from the rogue's past shows up asking for a favor, or looking for revenge, or maybe the rogue is the last person who was involved with something left alive and they need to know about it.

As for the tiefling, seconding using their infernal heritage. Or, alternately, you could get away from that. Maybe they find the notes of some recently-murdered alchemist and have to balance continuing his research and investigating the murder.