PDA

View Full Version : So, like, here's some [Feats]

Deepblue706
2007-03-05, 11:37 PM
Here's just a little list of mumbo jumbo I made during my free time. Some of these I've let people have a glimpse at, others I haven't. Input/Criticism is greatly appreciated.

Swift Riposte [Fighter, General]
Pre-Reqs: DEX 13+, INT 13+, Dodge, Combat Reflexes, BAB 4+

If your dodge target initiates an attack action against you and does not hit (with any of the attacks made that turn), they provoke an attack of opportunity from you.

Deceptive Footwork [Fighter, General]
Pre-Reqs: DEX 13+, Dodge, Mobility, Bluff 1 Rank, BAB 4+

As a move action, you may make a "false" movement while within a square threatened by an enemy to provoke an attack of opportunity from them. Your position does not actually change. You recieve a +4 AC bonus in addition to the benefits of Mobility (another +4 AC) against this AoO. Cannot be used while wearing heavy armor.

Hampering Blow [Fighter, General]
Pre-Reqs: STR 15+, Power Attack, BAB 8+

Whenever Power Attacking as part of a Full-Attack action, any hit target must make a Fortitude save (DC = 10 + amount of attack sacrificed in using PA) or become Fatigued, immediately. Add 2 to the DC if using a blunt weapon, like a mace or a club. Add 2 to DC if weapon is used with two (or more) hands. Cannot be used with Piercing weapons.

Knocking Blow [Fighter, General]
Pre-Reqs: STR 15+, Power Attack, BAB 6+

Whenever Power Attacking as part of a Full-Attack action, any hit target must make a Balance check (DC = 10 + amount of attack sacrficed in using PA) or be knocked prone, immediately. The target may add their BAB to this roll. Add 2 to the DC if using a blunt weapon, like a mace or a club. Add 2 to DC if weapon is used with two (or more) hands. Cannot be used with Piercing weapons.

Wounding Strike [Fighter, General]
Pre-Reqs: STR 15+, DEX 13+, BAB 10+, Weapon Focus: Slashing or Piercing weapon.

When wielding a slashing or piercing weapon with which you have assigned the Weapon Focus feat to, you can inflict wounds that bleed out your enemy faster. If you successfully deal damage to an enemy that is vulernable to critical hits, sneak attacks, ect, they must make a Fortitude save (DC = 10 + your BAB) or be dealt 1 damage each subsequent round from bleeding, until healed. This may only be performed as part of a full-attack action. Bleeding Wounds stack.

*This feat can be taken multiple times. When taken again, it can be applied to a new weapon or the same one to double the bleeding damage with the chosen weapon.

Superior Armor Training [Fighter, General]
Pre-Reqs: STR 13+, CON 13+, Endurance, BAB 4+

Your training in armor is uncanny. Treat all armors as one category lower (Heavy --> Medium --> Light. Light cannot go below Light), giving you no movement penalties in Medium armors, and x4 run in Heavy armors (without adjustment in basic move speed). Furthermore, you recieve a max DEX-to-AC bonus of +1 in all armors, as well as a -1 to armor check penalties in all armors. Finally, Spell Failure is reduced by 5% on all armors you use.

*Superior Armor Training bonuses do not stack with other effects which decrease the effective category of armor, such as Mithril

Sudden Lunge [Fighter, General]
Pre-Reqs: DEX 13+, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, BAB 8+

Whenever an enemy within 10 feet makes an action that would normally provoke an attack of opportunity, you may make, as an immediate action, a 5ft move action to close the distance between them and you and deliver an attack of opportunity, as if you were beside them all along. This does not count against your movement actions, nor does such a movement action made prior prohibit the use of this feat. Cannot be used in Heavy armor.

---------------------------------------------------

Yeah so that's all, folks. Hope to read up on how you feel about this stuff soon.

jlousivy
2007-03-06, 12:28 AM
Sudden lunge-- provokes an attack of opportunity from you or someone else? If from you--- it seems to only be useful to large creatures or those with a reach weapon, also--does this movement provoke attacks of opportunity?
Does this count toward your number of AoO per round?

Swift reposte- Does this count toward your number of AoO per round?

Also, may you use hambering blow and knocking blow at the same time?

Wounding Strike--- normal attack? standard action? does it stack? ie hit someone 5 times with a bow that has 1 wounding strike feat-- does it remove 10 hp/round? or 2 hp/round?

Hampering Blow-- normal attack? standard action? does anything happen if they are already fatigued?

Knocking Blow seems kinda.... too good seeing how out of the core classes- only 3 have balance as a CS... possibly have balance be a check they may make in place of something else.

crazedloon
2007-03-06, 12:36 AM
I like them a few seam a little overpowered.

Knocking Blow can be easyly used to repeatadly nock someone down while still doing damage. (triping can do this but no damage is dealt) with a 2 handed blunt weapon you are already at a DC of 18 most things will not be able to beat that due to the lack of balance as a CS and then add a few extra points of PA and it starts getting even harder. Perhapse make it a reflex or balance this way any character will at least have a slightly improved chance.

Also Superior Armor Training is very much rediculous. I can equip a bard (just an example only spell caster of the top of my head who can cast in light armor) in mithral Mountain plate. that is AC 10 + dex bonus of 4 and the bard can still cast spells becuase with the two combined the armor only counts as light. That is one happy bard. The only bad thing I can see is that you will have to take endurance to gain that feat. Also with that feat how does being able to run 4x in heavy armor help? Any heavy armor you wear counts as medium.

Deepblue706
2007-03-06, 11:35 AM
Any AoOs used with these feats count against your AoOs each round. Therefore, Combat Reflexes helps.

Sudden Lunge - Anyone. You can effectively make a 5-ft step to make an AoO.

Wounding Strike - doesn't stack on a hit target I'll make it stack with lower numbers. Let's make it...only work on a full attack.

Knocking Blow - You're right. I'll say the hit target can add their BAB to the roll - like they can when you try to Feint them.

I would allow Hampering Blow and Knocking Blow at the same time. I'll tone down the DC. And, per rules, anything to fatigue a fatigued person brings them to the next level of exhaustion and so on. But, maybe I'll change that.

Armor Training - I've never heard of "Mountain Plate", so I could not take that into account. Also, Bards suck so they should get something going for them for once. :smalltongue:

Also, the x4 run in Heavy Armor is what is gets for being treated as Medium, is all. I was simply clarifying.

I'll make it a +1 dex-to-ac max, and have it become harder to get.

Thanks for commenting!

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-06, 04:45 PM
I really like these.

Maybe swift reposte should require combat reflexes instead of combat expertise.

The BAB requirements seem a little high on these, maybe tone that down or remove completely.

Deceptive footwork is cool, but it doesn't seem all that useful to any character who can tumble.

Marcotic
2007-03-06, 05:23 PM
good feats man, totally introducin em'

Deepblue706
2007-03-06, 10:19 PM
Glad you like them!

Yes, I think you're right about using Combat Reflexes instead of Combat Expertise. CR simply makes more sense.

I suppose I could tone down the BAB reqs...figured since previous comments said "too powerful" and such...eh.

Deceptive Footwork...yeah, just meant to draw out missing swings so you get AoOs against them via Swift Riposte...no other usage, unless you just want to make them waste a AoO on you.

I was also thinking of making it part of a tactical feat, making for different uses while falsely moving into a threatened square, and for falsely moving away. And, Sudden Lunge would have been the third part of that.

Draz74
2007-03-06, 11:16 PM
Good stuff, though now the prereqs say "Reflexes" instead of "Combat Reflexes."

Deepblue706
2007-03-07, 12:50 AM
Gfaw! Thought I only deleted the Expertise part, apparently not.

Matthew
2007-03-08, 05:18 PM
Some interesting Feats and some powerful ones (but with appropriate prerequisites).

Swift Riposte seems like it could be broken up into Feat Chain or worked so it Auto Scales with level.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-08, 05:22 PM
Swift Riposte is way too good; with Combat Reflexes it can lead to an obscene number of bonus attacks. Perhaps limiting it only to the opponent declared for your dodge bonus would slightly alleviate that.

Spiryt
2007-03-08, 05:38 PM
Superior Armor Training [Fighter, General]
Pre-Reqs: STR 13+, CON 13+, Endurance, BAB 4+

Your training in armor is uncanny. Treat all armors as one category lower (Heavy --> Medium --> Light. Light cannot go below Light), giving you no movement penalties in Medium armors, and x4 run in Heavy armors (without adjustment in basic move speed). Furthermore, you recieve a max DEX-to-AC bonus of +1 in all armors, as well as a -1 to armor check penalties in all armors. Finally, Spell Failure is reduced by 5% on all armors you use.

This one is too potent. Maybe not very powerful but should have at least higher Pre - Reqs.
The rest are OK and very interesting. I really like deceptive footwork.

Assasinater
2007-03-09, 03:38 AM
Very good feats, although I second Armadillo's idea of limiting Swift Riposte to be used only against the opponent that is declared for your dodge bonus.

And I would suggest an increased prerequisite for Superior Armor Training, because the effect is really powerful. I don't know for sure, but I remember some feats like Armor Focus or something like that. You could think of adding them to the prerequisites.

Deepblue706
2007-03-09, 09:42 AM
Very well, SR now has Dodge implemented.

I've never heard of Armor Focus, though. How does it work?

Spiryt
2007-03-09, 11:01 AM
I've never heard of Armor Focus, though. How does it work?

Maybe a I misunderstood this:
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/ruIuiKxNerFBCOi5fK8.html

But it appears to be Giant's feat. I'm not sure, but prerequisites should be rather common feats...
I think that this feat should be just high level BaB > 11or so.

Assasinater
2007-03-09, 11:15 AM
Ah, thanks for finding the source, I couldn't remember it.

I think they are nice feats though, and common enough to be prerequisites (it starts with Armor Focus, and the tree continues just like Weapon Focus).

Depending on the level you wish for the feat, you can choose a feat from that tree as a prerequisite (though I would suggest Greater Armor Specialization, which is available at fighter level 12).

jlousivy
2007-03-09, 11:50 AM
one possibility to prevent too many extra attacks from that single dodge target would be to limit it to a number of attacks = bab/10 +1 or something?

Deepblue706
2007-03-09, 02:48 PM
Too many extra attacks? I've reworded it to eliminate ambiguity. It was the same kind of wording used in Defensive Strike (CWar), and the same basic idea - only I think Defensive Strike really sucks.

If the dodge target attacks you 3 times in one round, they have to miss with all of them for you to get the AoO. You're not going to get all that many extra attacks.

I increased SAT's BAB pre-req to 6+, but I don't see much reason to raise it beyond that. Also, I don't want to add the Giant's feats as my prerequisites, because 1) I don't like them, and 2) I have a thing about implementing other people's unofficial material when making my own.

crazedloon
2007-03-09, 08:35 PM
Well a note Swift Riposte sounds like Robilar's gambit from PHBII. RG alows aoo from anyone who attacls you. however everyone attacking you gains a +4 to attack and damage rolls and it has a prerequ of combat expertese (sort of obvious as you would want it) and +12 bab.

Indon
2007-03-09, 10:22 PM
This one is too potent. Maybe not very powerful but should have at least higher Pre - Reqs.
The rest are OK and very interesting. I really like deceptive footwork.

It's not overpowerful for a feat; Mithril armor has the same effect.

I'd make it explicitly _not_ stack with other effects which decrease the effective category of armor such as Mithril, however. Otherwise, you could wear "Light" full plate.

Deepblue706
2007-03-09, 10:57 PM
Yeah, you're right. Or else, I might as well rule that Keen stacks with Improved Critical!

Adjusted.

Deepblue706
2007-03-09, 11:01 PM
Well a note Swift Riposte sounds like Robilar's gambit from PHBII. RG alows aoo from anyone who attacls you. however everyone attacking you gains a +4 to attack and damage rolls and it has a prerequ of combat expertese (sort of obvious as you would want it) and +12 bab.

Damn the PHB2! Yeah, to tell you the truth, the only books I own include the old 3.0 core set, Sword & Fist (3.0) and Complete Warrior (3.5).

I like mine more. And, Robilar is a dumb name. Stupid WotC.

magnar
2007-03-11, 06:49 PM
Nice work, just have two little nit-picks. First, on Hampering Blow, will it stack with itself to make them exhausted if you use it again, or does the effect stop at fatiguing them? And secondly, for Sudden Lunge, I would recommend a)That you state whether or not this affects your movement for the next round, and b)That it say "Whenever an enemy within 10 feet makes an action that would normally provoke an attack of opportunity, ..."

Other than that, however, great feats! If only I was a DM...

Deepblue706
2007-03-11, 10:55 PM
I'm undecided on Hampering Blow. I was thinking it might be too powerful if it went to greater levels of exhaustion with additional hits, so I was waiting for a clear-cut opinion from someone on the matter before saying anything.

Yeah, Sudden Lunge could use better wording...

No, I didn't intend for it to count against normal movement.

Roderick_BR
2007-03-13, 09:11 PM
Some interesting feats.
About Swift Riposte, a character with Karmic Strike gains an AoO when an enemy hits. With Swift, whenever you are attacked, you are able to attack, being hit or not. However, Karmic Strike requires only Dex 13, Dodge, and Combat Expertise (and Int 13), so yours with BAB +4 as requisite is not overpowered.
I think PHB2 has Knocking Prone-like feat. I'll have to see. Not worse than Stunning Fist, so it's alright.
I'd leave Wounding Strike as a rogue ability. Looks better for their sneak attack features. I think they do have a similar ability already in some book.

Deepblue706
2007-03-14, 05:12 PM
Yeah, rogues do get stuff like that - CWar has a class that gives them the ability to forego some sneak attack damage to do wounding damage instead.

And, I find that to be completely absurd.

Fighters, Rangers, Barbarians, and Paladins should be inflicting deadly wounds with every single hit (I know not all "hits" are clean blows, but...some of them should be). For balance issues, a Rogue should be able to deliver a few more precise hits (via Sneak Attack), but it makes the implication to me that when up against a warrior, the only thing you have to worry about is their weapon type (with a few numbers added) being able to knock you down to 0 or negatives (unless they're a tripper, or something). Maybe a Rogue should be more precise, because otherwise they'd have nothing over a combat character other than skills (with quite a lot of other drawbacks to worry about), but I don't think this warrants making warriors that imprecise. I mean, Fighter should at least have the choice - they are supposed to be versatile, no?

ASCIISkull
2007-03-14, 09:54 PM
And, Robilar is a dumb name. Stupid WotC.

Robilar predates WOTC.

Deepblue706
2007-03-14, 10:29 PM
WHATEVER GUY! I don't CARE about ROBILAR!

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

He's dumb. And if you mention his name again, I'll even consider calling you dumb. So watch out.

I mean, c'mon. ROBilar. Rob....ilar. Stupid names make me want to eat babies.

Cybren
2007-03-15, 03:17 AM
Needs more shields.

Deepblue706
2007-03-15, 08:47 AM
Guy, if I made shield feats, you'd just say I was ripping you off. Make yer own damn shield crap.

jlousivy
2007-03-15, 10:55 AM
hampering blow- allow it to go into exhausted if you make it a standard action to use it, if it's a normal attck, don't allow it to, that's my opinion on it

Deepblue706
2007-03-15, 10:18 PM
I've already editted Hampering Blow so that it doesn't ever function without being used during a full-attack.

Cybren
2007-03-15, 10:58 PM
Needs more cowbell feats.

Deepblue706
2007-03-15, 11:14 PM
I've got a fever - and my only prescription...is more cowbell!!

Make your own feats, you tool. I want to see "Shieldpertise" with your name on it.

jlousivy
2007-03-16, 12:11 AM
ok, it can only be done with a full-attack. However, if say you hit twice in that full-attack-- does hampering blow trigger twice? -- if that's the case leave it at fatigued.

Deepblue706
2007-03-16, 11:24 AM
It's once per full-attack action with a successful hit.

If you hit an enemy once, or three times, it just calls for one save.

jlousivy
2007-03-16, 11:33 AM
alright, then let it keep stacking :-)