PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Drama Biased gm?

Pixel Druid
2014-08-13, 10:12 PM
So recently I have been in a pathfinder game where I was playing a barbarian alchemist dual class after my first session another player pointed out to me the vivisectionist archetype stacks with my other archetypes. I asked our GM if he was cool with me changing it since i hadn't used bombs yet and he said no. This didn't bother me too much as I could simply retrain. And finally we get a break in our quest perfect for the time it would require to retrain (costing me a significant amount of gold) when another player (the only one who didn't make is own character sheet as after two years he still barely understands the game) decided to pick up the Zen archer archetype. Earlier when we made our characters the GM decided he would only buy the basics for the monk and the player would have to choose the rest himself, however, he decided not to buy anything as he is quite lazy. So when he told the GM he wished to pick up the archetype(which the rest of the party told the monk about during character creation) the GM decided he would only charge him the 992 gold left over, following the retraining rules it would cost him 4000 gold and take more time than he is giving us. I just wanted to know if others think this is fair or if i am being screwed please tell me.

Kaun
2014-08-13, 10:32 PM
I'm not going to answer your question. I will say that this is something you should really talk to your DM about. State your claim and get his response.

Pixel Druid
2014-08-13, 10:43 PM
I did he basically said I'm DM i get last say and I wanted to make sure I wasn't being ridiculous.

Sidmen
2014-08-13, 10:45 PM
Off the cuff, no. I don't think your GM is being biased - not from what you've laid out so far.

There are a hundred reasons that the GM might've said no to you and yes to the other player. Not the least being that the other player has taken an interest in developing his character when before he hadn't - that's something a GM is usually willing to bend over backwards to encourage.

Just ask your DM why he doesn't want you to retrain your archetype. It could be that he's worried that it will make you more powerful whilst he is already worried about providing legitimate challenges for you. It could be that he doesn't feel that archetype is appropriate for the game, or that it is unbalanced.

There is a chance that he is just picking on you, but don't go into any conversation with him using that assumption - nothing good can come of it.

I did he basically said I'm DM i get last say and I wanted to make sure I wasn't being ridiculous.
And if he comes back with that again, tell him: "That isn't a why - I'm a player and I get to demand answers."

Kaun
2014-08-13, 10:55 PM
There are a hundred reasons that the GM might've said no to you and yes to the other player. Not the least being that the other player has taken an interest in developing his character when before he hadn't - that's something a GM is usually willing to bend over backwards to encourage.

This was my first thought as well.

I'm never a fan of when people alter choices in their character for optimization purposes. I don't stop them, but i generally leave it RaW.

Regarding his answer to your question; are you paraphrasing or did he literally give you the "its my game i do what i want!" line?

Pixel Druid
2014-08-13, 11:26 PM
Paraphrasing, he let me take the archetype however it annoys me that he is giving a player special treatment by cutting down the cost by 3000 gold (we are currently level 5) and instead of taking 80 days he is letting his character retrain in under a month.

Sidmen
2014-08-14, 12:26 AM
Paraphrasing, he let me take the archetype however it annoys me that he is giving a player special treatment by cutting down the cost by 3000 gold (we are currently level 5) and instead of taking 80 days he is letting his character retrain in under a month.

Don't be annoyed at this. The other player is only now becoming involved with the mechanics of his character - and your GM is very likely trying to encourage him to do so more in the future.

You, on the other hand, always had a grasp on your character's mechanics. You don't need encouragement. Surly you can see why he would do such a thing.

I am glad that you were able to retrain in the end.