PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Multi-Classing/Dips

Naanomi
2014-08-14, 01:56 AM
Multi-classing Guide, still a Work In Progress

Overall: Multi-classing within spell-casting or outside-spell casting classes seems best, mixing the two (except for perhaps armored caster builds) seems problematic.

Always look at what abilities granting extra attacks stack and which don't before thinking you are going to invest too heavily in that line of thought.

The natural breaking point for many classes looks like '17 levels + 3 level dip'; or '19 levels + 1 level dip' if you do not want to give up a Feat/Ability Bonus.

Starting as a Barbarian means good HP for low levels.

Barbarian is a tough class to leave, and has an outstanding 20th level ability that isn't easily replicated our outdone by what you may gain.

1) At level one you get Rage, for a reasonable combat boost for all melee types. You also get Unarmored Defense based on CON, which is useful for everyone not looking at heavy armor.

3) Level three can open up Frenzy; an extra attack on your Bonus action that stacks with other sources of additional attacks. Likewise, all of the Totem path abilities have utility (Bear for tanking, Eagle for mobility, and Wolf for party support); though only the Bear option is not really found elsewhere.

5) Grants you Extra Movement, just in case you want to be the fastest Wood-Elf Monk/Barbarian in the world. Wouldn't be worth mentioning if Monk isn't looking good to jump out of early anyways.

6) If truly dedicated to tracking, some Barbarian/Ranger hybrid with Wolf Spirit offers some possibilities

Overall: Three levels might be worth it for some melee builds, plus fringe cases beyond that.

Starting as a bard gives you free reign to pick your skills.

Staying bard until level 17 gets you 9th level spells, and the level 20 ability (while good) is not so impressive that three levels spent elsewhere might not be considered.

1) Level 1 gives you reasonable Cantrips, and the first level Bard Song has a lot of utility for skill-focused types.

2) Jack of All Trades is an outstanding ability for skill-based characters

3) Expertize is, again, great for skill-characters, and would be stackable with a Rogue's ability of the same name (on different skills). College of Lore gives you three more bonus skills, truly rounding out your skill-mastery; while College of Valor gives you good proficiencies (that you wouldn't necessarily get from multi-classing otherwise) and the slightly superior Combat Inspiration.

Overall: Great three-levels for Skill-focused character, Also good three-levels for Armored Caster option on another caster-class.

Starting as a cleric begins the path as a full caster, with reasonable weapon and armor proficiencies.

A cleric should go to at least level 17 (for 9th level spells and impressive Domain abilities), but level 20 is lack-luster, so see if you can't gain benefit from 1 (or perhaps 2) levels elsewhere.

1) Opens up Medium Armor, many open up Heavy Armor; Knowledge Domain gives you good skill-base for 'lore' type skills, Trickery Domain gives you a good stealth boost for a sneaky character, and War Domain gives you an attack on your Bonus Action

2) Knowledge Domain continues to help the skill-character with a floating skill, and I see great potential in the Tempest Domain's ability to maximize Lightning Damage (Evoker or Sorcerer?), Someone may find use for the Trickery Illusion or the Accuracy boost from the War Domain as well.

Overall: Best 1 level dip for Armored Spell-caster, or for 1-2 level dip for a few other builds.

Little incentive to start here compared to other classes

A hard class to leave, as 17 grants you 9th level spells, and the level 18 and 20 abilities are both very impressive.

2) Wild Shape has a few potential uses, depending on what animals we see at lower levels, mostly for utility and stealth purposes. Circle of the Moon offers support here, while the other path offers very little.

Overall: A level 2 dip for Wild Shape fun only.

Starting here gives you Heavy Armor and Weapon Access

Very difficult to give up that Third Attack at high levels under most circumstance.

2) Second Wind is an incredible ability for basically every class.

3) Improved Critical may have value to round out a Barbarian build focused on that area, though it would be hard pressed to beat the Barbarian capstone under most circumstances I think. Battle Master can give you some maneuvers if you don't want to spend a feat on them.

Overall: Second Wind might be worth it.

Little reason to start here compared to other options

More than any class, I see lots of 'break points' for a Monk, with no one ability being key to progression but lots of good things picked up here and there. Diamond Soul at 14 is outstanding though, so that is the level I would look to.

1) Unarmored Defense is always nice, perhaps especially for a Druid; and Martial Arts gives an 'always ready' weapon for places you might need one and still look unarmed (though this is limited and a feat can grant you the same).

2) Opens up Ki, which has good uses (particularly Flurry, but also the mobility of Step of the Wind can be nice). Bonus movement can also be helpful, again mostly for a Druid.

3) Open Hand Technique opens good battlefield control

Overall: Two levels for a druid might be a possibility, or three for battlefield control on a character that might lack it (rogue?)

Starting here offers the same Heavy Armor/Martial Weapons as many other classes

A class that has good incentive to stick it out to the end, dipping does not look like a good option.

2) Divine Smite is great burst damage for any melee type.

3) Level 2 spells means a stronger Divine Smite; Sacred Weapon has good potential for a Melee Bard, Sorcerer, or (perhaps especially) Warlock with Pact of the Blade (though the fluff might be hard to swing); Vow of Enmity has potential on a Rogue build to ensure Sneak Attack as well.

Overall: 2-3 level dip potential for specific melee builds

Ranger doesn't appear to offer much nor benefit much from multi-classing options.

3) Ranger's Companion has a small amount of potential

Overall: Unimpressive for Multi-classing

Offers good support for a skill-build, with a good number of starting skills.

Can likewise find support for itself as a supreme skill-master; though there is reasonable incentive in place to stick it out to the end.

1) Expertize at level one has a lot of potential to aid in specific tasks you might be trying to optimize: tracking, searching, social skills... 1d6 Sneak Attack is also low-hanging fruit in terms of easy damage boosts

3) Assassinate may have potential to finish off the last three levels of a stealthy Barbarian with the guaranteed Critical Hit

Overall: Good base for a skill master, or dip-support for someone looking for expertize.

Little reason to begin here compared to other options

Big incentive to stay until level 18, level 20 is not bad either.

1) Neither Draconic Resilience nor Tides of Chaos is terribly attractive, both have some utility if you are going this path anyways

3) Metamagic being used to fuel the spells of other classes has immense potential

Overall: Metamagic is very tempting to attach onto another casting spell-list.

Warlock straddles the ground between Caster and Non-Caster, and has potential to benefit both in small dips; may offer better armor options if the other class(s) in the mix are casters.

Level 17, for the 9th level spell, is important; but while the 20 is nice, I could easily see dipping elsewhere for three levels.

1) Dark One's Blessing has some potential, though Awakened Mind has more; both for communication and the silence in which it does so.

2) Invocations have a lot of potential (Devil's Sight and Eldritch Sight both have a wide range of support for tracking, snooping, and stealth support, Fiendish Vigor is great support for a melee Gish, Eyes of the Rune Keeper may support a scholar well (particularly in a campaign with more languages than the default small list), and Mask of Many Faces has good potential for an Assassin or social Bard). Investing them both in Eldritch Blast support may also hand a great long-range combat spell to any class looking for one.

3) Blade pact hands a magic weapon to anyone, which may have a lot of power in some campaigns. The improved familiar options also have good potential, perhaps to milk for poison if nothing else.
Overall: Invocations have alot to offer many classes, and Pact Blade may entice melee-types in exceptionally low-magic-items campaigns.

Doesn't offer much as a beginning point.

A lot to offer all the way down the list, including a great level 20 ability that would be hard to turn down.

2) Minor Conjuration can offer a lot to a skill character, letting you always have the perfect tool on hand. Portent also offers some potential, mostly to Skill-Based types, and Grim Harvest or Arcane Ward may interest a more hands-on character like a melee Warlock.

Overall: Not the best dipping material either way

Naanomi
2014-08-14, 01:57 AM
The point of taking eight levels in Eldritch Knight is getting War Magic. Combine it with Eldritch Blast to get 5 attacks per round, all of whom add your charisma to damage.

It also gives you a Constitution-save, all armor, shield and weapon proficiencies and the excellent action surge and second wind, plus one extra ability score improvement/feat.
For casting, it gives you two cantrips, 6 spells known, four 1st-level spell slots and two 2nd-level spell slots. Those spell slots can be used to cast Warlock-spells, giving you greater endurance if you lack short rests.

The twelve Warlock levels give you four cantrips and one 6th-level spell as well as three 5th-level spell slots that refresh on a short rest, plus another 11 spells known. You also gain 6 Invocations.
With the Fiend-patron you get a significant boost to durability - up to 17 temporary hitpoints whenever you kill an enemy, a significant boost to one roll per short rest and resistance to one damage type of your choice.

Chose the Tome-pact and grab Shilleagh to use Charisma instead of Strenght for attack and damage while using a club. It also allows you to cast Ritual-spells of up to 6th-level as Warlock spells via the Book of Ancient Secrets Invocation.

The end result is a heavily armored character that relies solely on charisma and has access to durable 6th-level casting using a mix of various spell lists (warlock, wizard, three freely chosen cantrips, rituals from any class you like).

Monk 3/Fighter 11/Monk X

You'll never be able to get the amount of attacks a full level Fighter would but I think this is a nice second. The 11 levels of fighter are almost entirely for the third attack but since we're here we can look at the battle master for relevant maneuvers. Sweeping Attack, Riposte, Parry, Pushing Attack, Evasive Footwork and Lunging Attack all look like good places to start. The main stats are Dexterity and Wisdom in this build. Dexterity is our offensive stat and wisdom helps our defense. I'm not surer about this but if your DM rules that Martial Art's makes unarmed a finesse weapon than you can also look into the Defensive Duelist feat. The Monastic Tradition can be up to you. Personally I like Way of the Open Hand as we like using out Flurry of Blows but the other two work just as fine. Pick the Duel Wielding fighting style. At high levels you'll have an AC of 20 (10 plus Dex plus Wis) with both hands free doing 2 attacks each attack action plus a free unarmed attack as a bonus action (unless you use flurry of blows when it's two free attacks instead). 7 to 8 attacks a round. Of course those attacks will only be 1d6+5 which isn't an absurd amount. This is why battle master helps pick up the slack, the superiority die add some much needed damage at times. But your defense should be pretty tight. On top of the 20 AC you'll also have a high Dex saving throw (something I imagine most heavy armor fighters will lack), the ability to deflect arrows and evasion. I consider this a Monk build even though it's more fighter heavy. It's a light idea but I'd like to look into it more.

The end result should be a highly defensive combatant that makes up for slightly lower damage rolls with a large number of attacks.

Half-Elf Rogue 1/Bard 3 (College of Lore)/Cleric 2/Bard X
With the right background you have 12 Skills (plus thief tools and a music instrument), four of them have Expertize, and a 'floating' skill to fill in the rest as needed. Plus you still maintain 9th level Bard Spells and good Song progression... to boost skills! Medium Armor is a plus as well

Jigawatts
2014-08-14, 02:02 AM
Looks pretty good so far.

As a side note, I really hope they have an alternate rule in the DMG to implement AD&D style multiclassing (my all time favorite).

Naanomi
2014-08-14, 02:10 AM
Everyone feel free to add their own thoughts and ideas and build ideas

Serafina
2014-08-14, 03:13 AM
The point of taking eight levels in Eldritch Knight is getting War Magic. Combine it with Eldritch Blast to get 5 attacks per round, all of whom add your charisma to damage.
It also gives you a Constitution-save, all armor, shield and weapon proficiencies and the excellent action surge and second wind, plus one extra ability score improvement/feat.
For casting, it gives you two cantrips, 6 spells known, four 1st-level spell slots and two 2nd-level spell slots. Those spell slots can be used to cast Warlock-spells, giving you greater endurance if you lack short rests.

The twelve Warlock levels give you four cantrips and one 6th-level spell as well as three 5th-level spell slots that refresh on a short rest, plus another 11 spells known. You also gain 6 Invocations.
With the Fiend-patron you get a significant boost to durability - up to 17 temporary hitpoints whenever you kill an enemy, a significant boost to one roll per short rest and resistance to one damage type of your choice.

Chose the Tome-pact and grab Shilleagh to use Charisma instead of Strenght for attack and damage while using a club. It also allows you to cast Ritual-spells of up to 6th-level as Warlock spells via the Book of Ancient Secrets Invocation.

The end result is a heavily armored character that relies solely on charisma and has access to durable 6th-level casting using a mix of various spell lists (warlock, wizard, three freely chosen cantrips, rituals from any class you like).

Prophet_of_Io
2014-08-14, 03:48 AM
Monk 3/Fighter 11/Monk X

You'll never be able to get the amount of attacks a full level Fighter would but I think this is a nice second. The 11 levels of fighter are almost entirely for the third attack but since we're here we can look at the battle master for relevant maneuvers. Sweeping Attack, Riposte, Parry, Pushing Attack, Evasive Footwork and Lunging Attack all look like good places to start. The main stats are Dexterity and Wisdom in this build. Dexterity is our offensive stat and wisdom helps our defense. I'm not surer about this but if your DM rules that Martial Art's makes unarmed a finesse weapon than you can also look into the Defensive Duelist feat. The Monastic Tradition can be up to you. Personally I like Way of the Open Hand as we like using out Flurry of Blows but the other two work just as fine. Pick the Duel Wielding fighting style. At high levels you'll have an AC of 20 (10 plus Dex plus Wis) with both hands free doing 2 attacks each attack action plus a free unarmed attack as a bonus action (unless you use flurry of blows when it's two free attacks instead). 7 to 8 attacks a round. Of course those attacks will only be 1d6+5 which isn't an absurd amount. This is why battle master helps pick up the slack, the superiority die add some much needed damage at times. But your defense should be pretty tight. On top of the 20 AC you'll also have a high Dex saving throw (something I imagine most heavy armor fighters will lack), the ability to deflect arrows and evasion. I consider this a Monk build even though it's more fighter heavy. It's a light idea but I'd like to look into it more.

The end result should be a highly defensive combatant that makes up for slightly lower damage rolls with a large number of attacks.

Yorrin
2014-08-14, 08:30 AM
I notice you dont spend any consideration on stat bumps/feats, which are now a function of class. Makes multiclassing in multiples of four more attractive, especially for non-casters.

Naanomi
2014-08-14, 09:47 AM
I notice you dont spend any consideration on stat bumps/feats, which are now a function of class. Makes multiclassing in multiples of four more attractive, especially for non-casters.
I kind of looked that over, and while yes in some cases that might be the deciding factor it seemed to me that messed up Stat Bumps ends up being the 'cost' of Multiclassing; particularly since the 'good cut off points' seems to be 17/3. It was also universal across classes so I didn't feel the need to call it out on each class analysis (though it could be highlighted in specific builds)

CyberThread
2014-08-14, 05:33 PM
Do you think monks, rangers are the least incetivised to multi class?

Naanomi
2014-08-14, 08:35 PM
Do you think monks, rangers are the least incetivised to multi class?Rangers don't seem to have a lot to offer (one skill I guess) to other classes, nor do they have anything obvious to gain from multiclassing that I could see off hand.

Monk, on the other hand, has lots of points to escape from (14 looks like a good spot to look elsewhere to me) but doesn't have a lot to offer other classes on first glance.

Atmosfear
2014-08-15, 12:02 AM
Sorcerer 3/Warlock 17 is pretty solid, since you can keep pumping your short rest-recharged Level 5 Warlock slots to sorcery points and convert them to sorcerer spell slots. If the party will take a 10 hour rest instead of 8, you could be sitting on two free 5th level spells every day at 14th level, plus the two warlock slots which will recharge after a short rest.

Go Pact of the Blade with a Returning thrown weapon and use Quickened Eldritch Blast to become a fun little Striker turret. Gets even uglier if you can fit in the War Caster feat.

Honestly, though, I'm pretty sure Fount of Magic is supposed to cap your Sorcery Points based on sorcerer level, but Wizards has treated the word "level" pretty fast and loose throughout the PHB. Honestly, I just hope this makes the relatively weak Warlock a little more playable.

Yuukale
2014-08-15, 12:10 AM
let's add sharpshooter to these weapon attacks ?

Prophet_of_Io
2014-08-15, 05:54 AM
Half-Orc Rogue(assassin) 3/Fighter(champion) 17.

It's simple and a little slow but the beauty is in the simplicity. The tactic is to critical often and punish people for it. At your 18th level you'll be triggering critical on a roll of 18 or higher. Assassinate will give you 1 free cit if you act before a foe at the beginning of each fight, Remarkable Athlete will actually help you with that. Savage Attacks will make your critical do x3 the damage instead of x2, but remember it only adds 1 of the weapon die so a greataxe would add another d12 but a greatsword only adds one d6 not both. Use a two handed weapon and take Great Weapon Master as early as you can so you get a free attack with every crit and the ability to power attack. Cunning Action will let you save your Action Surges for extra attacks. Sneak Attack 2d6 will help add to your damage even when you don't crit. I'd probably take the Poisoner's Kit proficiency too. Coat your Greataxe or Greatsword and add an extra 1d4 poison damage. Every little bit helps. It's a simple build so you might as well go for as much synergy as you can. Other feat's I'd recommend include: Alert, Charger, Martial Adept (for Feinting Attack and one of Lunging Attack, Maneuvering Attack, Riposte or Sweeping Attack), Polearm Master (if you want to use a reach weapon instead) or Savage Attacker. Your most important stat's in order are Strength, Constitution, Dexterity. Strength should be 20 as early as convenient. If you'd rather focus on Dexterity over Constitution you should consider the Tough feat. A perfect hit should land you 3d12(or 5d6)+2d6+1d4+15 and a bonus attack. Background is, of course, up to you but quick build I'd say Urchin or Gladiator.

Edit- Alternatively, you can ignore the additional frequency of crits that fighter awards you for the punishing amount of crit damage that barbarian gets you. In that case I would recommend Half-Orc Rogue(assassin) 3/Fighter(champion) 3/Barbarian 14 or Half-Orc Rogue(assassin) 3/Fighter(champion) 3/Barbarian 9/Fighter 4. In the last build there is one level missing. That's because I'd leave it up to you. Both Rogue and Fighter net you an ability score improvement so I'd lean towards one of them but which one doesn't really matter. Neither will add any other benefit so it's for your flavor. Barbarian adds a path feature. Neither of the path features look particularly necessary at that point so it's really only if you want it.

Happy Crit-ing.

mgrinshpon
2014-08-15, 06:59 AM
Paladin

Starting here offers the same Heavy Armor/Martial Weapons as many other classes

A class that has good incentive to stick it out to the end, dipping does not look like a good option.

2) Divine Smite is great burst damage for any melee type.

3) Level 2 spells means a stronger Divine Smite; Sacred Weapon has good potential for a Melee Bard, Sorcerer, or (perhaps especially) Warlock with Pact of the Blade (though the fluff might be hard to swing); Vow of Enmity has potential on a Rogue build to ensure Sneak Attack as well.

Overall: 2-3 level dip potential for specific melee builds

Paladin at 6 is also a great place to jump out. You get the extra attack at 5 and level 6 means that you add your Charisma modifier which is likely to be huge to all saves you make. It's also an even +3 to caster level meaning multiclassing with a full caster gives you a 9th level spell slot but no 9th level spell. Going Oath of Devotion gives you +Cha to melee meaning you just use Charisma for everything.

Atmosfear
2014-08-15, 09:38 AM
Paladin at 6 is also a great place to jump out. You get the extra attack at 5 and level 6 means that you add your Charisma modifier which is likely to be huge to all saves you make. It's also an even +3 to caster level meaning multiclassing with a full caster gives you a 9th level spell slot but no 9th level spell. Going Oath of Devotion gives you +Cha to melee meaning you just use Charisma for everything.

Depending on how you read Paladin's Smite, you can also use your multiclass spell slots to power up your Smite (the language is unclear; it states "paladin spell slot" in the Smite text, but multiclass rules don't seem to clarify which class spell slots belong to, only that known/prepared spells are kept separate.)

Serafina
2014-08-15, 11:38 AM
The only meaning of the text "Paladin spell slot" is that you can't use Warlock spell slots to fuel it - if you multiclass with any other class, your spell slots are rolled together into one package as per the multiclassing rules.
Its rather well-worded that way, since otherwise you could smite several times per encounter due to the quick recharge of warlock spell slots.

To elaborate on my earlier build proposal:
If you start at low levels, your build is Warlock 4/Eldrich Knight 7/Warlock 8/Eldritch Knight 1. At higher levels, you can start with Fighter if you want different proficiencies.

For the first two levels, you simply spam Eldritch Blast and do other low-level warlock stuff. At third level, you take the Tome Pact and grab Shillelagh and Thorn Whip - the former allows you to use Charisma for your melee attacks with a Club or Quarterstaff, while the latter allows you to drag enemies closer.

At fourth level you take War Caster - along with medium armor and shield proficiency from your first fighter level at level 5, you should have a pretty good armor class (20 if you have at least 14 Dexterity and grab the Defense fighting style). Drag enemies close with Thorn Whip to keep them off your allies and take the Sentinel feat at level 8 (or earlier if you are a Human) to make sure they stay next to you.
For your Eldritch Knight spells i recommend Blade Ward, Shield and Protection from Evil and Good. Shield is obviously useful to boost your defenses, but it prevents you from making opportunity attacks. Blade Ward becomes good when you get War Magic, sacrificing damage for defense. Protection from Good and Evil is just a good general spell to have.

The build comes fully online at level 11 when you get War Magic. Casting a Cantrip and still getting one attack allows you to do the following:
- Cast Thorn Whip and drag an enemy next to you, then smash him with your quarterstaff.
- Cast Eldritch Blast and add a melee attack for maximum damage.
- Cast Shield and attack - trading a single attack for taking half damage is a good deal.

As an additional goodie, you can take the Polearm Master feat - it works with Quarterstaves. You won't use the option to use your bonus action to attack, but in some situations you can push enemies away with Repelling Blast and force them to re-enter your reach, provoking an opportunity attack.

Your Invocations are pretty flexible - you will use Eldrich Blast, so Agonizing Blast is mandatory. Book of Ancient Secrets is good if you like to cast some rituals, but its not required for the build nor are any other cantrips.

For your Patron, The Fiend suits your role best - Dark Ones Blessing, Dark Ones Own Luck and Fiendish Resilience make you significantly tougher, and Fire Shield is a nice spell for you.
Archfey offers Plant Growth for some battlefield control, and Fey Presence is nice as well. It doesn't give you anywhere near as much as Fiend however, nor does Great Old One.

Nevertheless, Archfey goes well for a Nature-themed tank (http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/0/6/5/7/6/webimg/754694682_o.jpg) despite being suboptimal.

omniknight
2014-08-15, 11:47 AM
Fighter - "2) Second Wind is an incredible ability for basically every class."

Did you mean Action Surge instead of Second Wind? Because while SW is a nice little boon, AS is why you would consider dipping Fighter with any class.

Wizard - "including a great level 20 ability that would be hard to turn down."

I disagree. The Wizard capstone is actually pretty lackluster and easily disregarded for dips elsewhere. A couple extra 3rd level spells per day is not impressive at level 20.

As I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I like a Cleric 1 dip for Wizard. It gives Wizard a much better starting proficiency framework and doesn't hinder spell slot progression.

Yagyujubei
2014-08-15, 11:51 AM
I can almost never stay in one class the whole way to 20 when I play DnD, here are a couple classes I've been working on:

Half Elf Bard/Warlock that allows access to a huge number of skills, 9th level spells, and great sustained spell damage and versatility with Arcane archer assuming your DM will allow it.

The first three levels set it all up. Starting with 1 level in bard as half elf gives you access to 5 skills to start with, add to that background skills from entertainer and you have 7. Then you take two levels in Warlock for Awakened mind, access to Eldritch blast, and the two invocations Beguiling presence and Eldritch sight.now you're level three and have proficiency in 9 skills and at will detect magic that doesn't cost a magic slot. not only that but getting the two levels in warlock lets you keep your most important spells in the warlock slots so they refresh after short rests instead of long.

The rest of the way is just College of Valor Bard focusing on a mix of utility spells (you can use Magic secrets to grab the really powerful atk spells) taking Sharpshooter at level 4, and Arcane Archer at lvl 8. Now you can bind Eldritch blast to as many arrows as you want for a very potent ranged attack, and store other spells in them for hilarious and interesting effects (shoot an arrow with Dimension door bound to it into a group of mobs and teleport two of them 200ft into the air perhaps?). Combat inspiration die can be used to buff your dps further as can the sharpshooter feature that allows for +10 dmg at the cost of -5atk (which can also be offest by inspiration dice if you need) and you'll have a tiny bit of healing through song of rest and a couple spells to add to the party as well.

The only downside is that your core stats only get to 18 each in this build so they'll need support from items to reach max modifier.

This build uses wood elf as a base and Takes 14Mnk, 5Rogue, and 1Cleric. As monk you take the Way of the Shadow, for cleric it's trickery, and as rogue you take assassin.

This build is all about stealth and battlefield mobility. With Woodelf, monk, and Mobility you will have 70ft speed, rogue gives access to cunning maneuver and uncanny dodge, and from monk you'll have evasion, wind step, and shadow step all to give you control of any engagement. Your cleric domain will be trickster to give you some cantrips and theme magic to go with the spells you get from WotS monk.

Aside from mobility the other obvious aspect here is stealth, you'll get 3d6 sneak attack and assassinate from rogue as well as expertise in sneak and Acrobatics. Having shadow step, cloak of shadows and the many useful spells and cantrips like Move silently, darkness, etc. will almost assure that you can get a surprise round each combat allowing for and instant crit sneak attack followed by another attack and 2 more from flurry. Combine this with the use of claw like fist weapons that have separate poison on either one and you can do some serious first turn dmg or debuffs.

The other nice role the ninja can play is crowd control, with mobility you can move about attacking many enemies per turn without fear of OAs and can use poison, stunning strike to CC multiple enemies each turn or destroy fodder.

Atmosfear
2014-08-15, 12:30 PM
Its rather well-worded that way, since otherwise you could smite several times per encounter.

That's a good point. The wording issue isn't with the Smite text, it's with the Multiclass spell slot text. It would be nice if it specified that the spell slots count as both classes for the purposes of abilities that require a specific class's spell slots, but that's interpretation most people are using.

The Sorc-adin (Sorc 5/Pal 15) looks like a viable combination, with good self-buffs (Shield, Blur, Haste, Blink), utility, and direct damage. You miss out on Level 5 paladin spells (Destructive Wave), but you have level 3 Sorcerer spells (Haste Haste Haste) and two Level 5 and a Level 6 spell slot you can use for smites or flex into sorcery points/lower level slots.

Naanomi
2014-08-15, 02:49 PM
I will update builds and add people's comments into the class analysis later tonight or tomorrow morning; keep them coming :)

Serafina
2014-08-15, 04:16 PM
Tome Pact bears mentioning due to giving any three cantrips. While there is also a feat that can give one cantrip, that one is locked into the parents class caster stat - with Tome Pact, you use Charisma, making it an interesting option for Bards, Paladins and Sorcerers. Paladins don't get any cantrips by themselves, so the 5 they get from three levels of warlock should be quite useful.

The strongest option is Shillelagh as used in my build, but there are other useful options. Thorn Whip is an excellent way to pull enemies closer to you, and you can gain Druidcraft and Thaumaturgy that way too for some utility.

numerek
2014-09-30, 02:32 AM
I thought I would add a list of classes that give extra stuff at 4th

So if you have multiple classes at 3rd level you can see which ones can give you the most from that 4th level.

All full and half casters give another caster level at 4th. full casters including warlocks get an extra cantrip

Druid allows swim speed wild shape

Monk slow fall, additional ki point

OldTrees1
2014-09-30, 02:49 AM
Rogue 3: Arcane Trickster
Now use dangerous skills at a safe/safer distance.

Usage
Rogue 2 / Bard(College of Lore) 4 / Rogue(Arcane Trickster) +1 / Bard +13
6 Expertise, 10-12 skill proficiencies, 17th level spells known, 18th level spell slots

Suichimo
2014-09-30, 03:26 AM
Paladin 18/Warlock 2 seems like a fairly natural decision to me. You give up an ability bump/feat and your oath capstone and gain a useful side feature and the best ranged attack a Paladin can ask for, unless you use your invocations on other things.

The Paladin's biggest weak point is easily its ranged capabilities. Being one of the VERY few classes to receive heavy armor proficiency, you are going to naturally give up Dexterity as it does very little for you, no AC bonus and initiative can be overcame. That means, however, that your best range option will be the javelin. The javelin only has an effective range of 30', which you can easily just use your movement to clear and make your far superior melee attack. Warlock 2 gives you access to Eldritch Blast, Agonizing Blast, and Eldritch Spear. I'm not sure what the damage dice is for the class combination, but at the very least you're using your Charisma to attack and damage with it and its range is 300', 10x more than the javelin.

Ferrin33
2014-09-30, 04:16 AM
Barbarian:
2nd level for Reckless Attack which has some nice synergy with Sneak Attack.

Aside from that you get more rage uses per day at 3/6/12 of which 3 and 6 give a few interesting benefits and 12 an ASI. Also remember that the Barbarian has a d12 hit dice which should be counted among the benefits of taking more Barbarian levels.

Bard:
5th level gives you font of inspiration for recharging bardic inspiration as well as 3rd level bard spells.
6th level gives you either an extra attack or two spells of 3rd level or lower known of any class.
10th level gives you another two expertise skills and two spells of 5th level or lower known of any class.

Of course every uneven level gives a new spell level that you can learn spells from. I don't think any of these benefits should be overlooked even though they cost you higher level spells known.

Cleric:
6th level gives you some really good benefits for some of the domains as well as another use of channel divinity in between rests.
8th level gives an extra d8 damage once per round along with an ASI.

Every odd level you get access to a higher level of cleric spells, a lot of which are quite powerful.

Druid:
8th level gives you flying wild shape forms and an ASI.
10th level gives Elemental Wild Shape which seems quite powerful.

Levels 6/9/12/15/18 gives you a stronger Wild Shape form as a circle of the moon druid. Every odd level gives access to a new level of druid spells.

Fighter:
A one level dip gives you Second Wind, weapon and armor proficiencies, and a fighting style.
2nd level gives you action surge, an incredible ability that allows you to nova with nearly any class.
3rd level gives you some good benefits for all archetypes, with the champion archetype only being decent for rogues and barbarians in my opinion.
7th level gives you a powerful ability as a Champion, and a useful one as an eldritch knight as well as 2nd level spells. Battle Masters get more maneuvers known, which can be good if you still have some you want.
11th level gives a second extra attack which is amazing.

Monk:
3rd level gives Deflect Missiles which is a good way to prevent damage with your reaction.
6th level is really powerful for a Way of the Shadow monk because of Shadow Step.

Paladin:
2nd level gives you a fighting style as well as 1st level paladin spells.
6th level gives Aura of Protection, one of the most powerful abilities in game.

Ranger:
3rd level the only real choice as a dip is the hunter archetype of which I feel Horde Breaker is the stronger option.

Rogue:
2nd level for Cunning Action is quite good.
5th level for Uncanny Dodge and another d6 of sneak attack damage.
6th level for another two skills with Expertise.
7th level for Evasion and another d6 of sneak attack damage.

Sorcerer:
6th level adds your charisma mod to damage with a damage type, and resistance to it if you spend a sorcery point.

Warlock:
3rd level gives you 2nd level spells that recharge on a rest and you can cast Darkness which is really powerful along with the Devil's Sight invocation.
5th level gives you 3rd level Pact Magic and another invocation known.
7th level gives you 4th level Pact Magic and another invocation known.
9th level gives you 5th level Pact Magic and another invocation known.
11th level gives you an additional spell in between rests of 5th level as well as a 1/day 6th level spell.

Wizard:
1st level lets you cast two spells per day, as well as the ability to eventually learn every 1st level wizard ritual and cast them whenever you want.
2nd level has some cool things like Minor Conjuration, Portent, Sculpt Spells, Improved Minor Illusion, and Minor Alchemy
6th level offers some interesting bonuses for Conjurers, Illusionists, Necromancers and Transmuters.

Added a few things that I felt are quite good as well. Overall though I think a lot of combinations are viable if not powerful.

AmbientRaven
2014-09-30, 07:14 AM
Thoughts on bards

Blaster/Control + Potential for Amazing skill money (15 skills!)
18 Lore Bard / 2 Warlock

This is the ideal dip for a bard that isn't your Primary Healer.

18 Levels of bard gets you the last level of Magical secrets. This nets you 8 spells from other classes, including the all important 9th Level spells (hello Wish and gate).
2 Levels of Warlock lets you get Elderitch Blast, as well as 2 Elderitch invocations.
Selecting Agonizing Blast gives +Cha to your elderitch blast is the primary reason for your dip. The second choice is up to you

15 skills you said though!?!
but how?

Half-Elf (2), Backround (2), Bard (3), Lore (3), Elderitch Invocation: Beguiling Influence (2), Feat: Skilled (3)
The best part is, this is do-able whilst still being a solid damage source, as you don't sacrifice to much by doing this. Not to mention the remianing 3 skills you have 1/2 proficiency in. You also have Expertise in 4 of these skills.

Ramshack
2014-09-30, 09:16 AM
Did you mean Action Surge instead of Second Wind? Because while SW is a nice little boon, AS is why you would consider dipping Fighter with any class.

Additionally at level 1 the fighter can pick a fighting style, In addition to armor and weapon proficiencies a 1 fighter dip could get +1 AC, +2 with ranged weapons +2 1 handed damage etc. Level 1 Fighter is a great dip for almost any build.

Natael
2014-09-30, 01:36 PM
Cleric of life 1/Bard 19 gives you some pretty solid healing powers for a bard and some nice low-level buffs and guidance as a cantrip. This lets you focus on str, con, and cha as you wish for bard of Valor.