PDA

View Full Version : Migrating Existing Campaigns

Demonic Spoon
2014-08-14, 01:45 PM
Has anyone tried migrating an existing game of D&D from 4e or 3.5 to 5E (obligatory (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html))? Is this even plausible? Is this a terrible idea that I should be whipped for considering?

I'm intrigued by the idea. Challenges:

1. Recreating the characters. This is a fairly big one.
-With the PHB materials, it seems like most archetypes can be reasonably ported depending on how wacky they are. Abilities may get switched around, though, and that may be a bit weird

2. Magic items and the philosophy change from WBL to the death of ye olde magic mart
-Another fairly big thing. Presumably existing magic items would need to be houseruled into 5e. Way easier to do at lower levels than higher levels. In fact, at higher levels, without a mechanism to deprive players of all their stuff during the transition, it probably wouldn't work

3. Lore changes
-These are fairly minor, and where there's a conflict they can be houseruled

4. Bounded accuracy
-High level characters are way less powerful in 5e than 3.5e. Depending on what kinds of things the players are used to doing and what levels they are, this may or may not be a dealbreaker. In particular, if the players have lots of past experience with clearing waves upon waves of low level mooks with little effort.

5. Monsters
-Any monsters that exist as part of the world and need to be encountered again need to be ported. Probably not a huge deal unless there's a recurring monster that isn't in the first MM or basic rules, and then it could presumably be homebrewed

Thoughts? Is this something that should ever be considered, or is it better to just start anew?

Naanomi
2014-08-14, 02:07 PM
My world has ported fine, excepting a few struggles in getting my pantheon of Deities to fit the new Domains. Had to retcon a little bit (artificers were a big part of one of the nations, so had to downplay that a bit) but overall no real difficulties.

Fable Wright
2014-08-14, 03:38 PM
I would port my current campaign over to 5e in a heartbeat if I could. I'm saddled with three problems, however.

1. I need some way to convert Nemesis Devils (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/devil/devil-nemesis) to 5e. My current campaign relies heavily on them as ancient Gods, and they seem to have far too much health/SLAs. However, the change in domains from 3.PF to 5e also messes with one of their key abilities.

2. Converting Spellstitched Serpentir and Skull Lords from 3.5e, as they're the main enemy of the current arc in my game and I have no idea how to rate the CR of their abilities.

3. Lack of material 3.5 has access to. I was planning on including encounters like Coveys of Hags, Gargoyle Totemists with Basilisk Masks, and the aforementioned creatures. One of my players wants to become a Frost Lich (slight refluff of Dry Lich), and I can't support this option. Trap the Soul seems to be missing, when it was a key element of my game.

Everything else about my game is an active attempt to recreate 5e in 3.5, but the lack of monster support right now means that I'll be stuck in 3.5 for the forseeable future. Sigh.

Totema
2014-08-15, 01:02 AM
Already doing it. Fortunately I hadn't even finished my campaign back when I started it for 3.X games.

AuraTwilight
2014-08-16, 04:30 PM
I'm mainly concerned about converting my favorite 3.x homebrews and material into 5E.

Zrak
2014-08-16, 04:45 PM
Honestly, I think the biggest hurdle is going to be the content gap DMofDarkness is talking about; right now, any campaign that makes use of the huge amount of options a more established edition gives them is going to have to homebrew a lot of conversions or stick to the older edition until 5E splays catch up. Recreating the PCs will require a bit of a handwave, some gear might have to get run over when they camp too close to railroad tracks, and they may have to adjust to fighting smaller groups of "elite" orcs as they descend deeper into hostile territory, but those are much easier fixes than running into the problem that none of the monsters they're in the middle of fighting even have stats in this edition.

Tvtyrant
2014-08-16, 04:54 PM
E6 could probably convert over by just multiplying the character level by 3, since the 3.5 crowd get stronger so much faster than the 5E characters.

Other than HP I think an E6 character might actually be stronger than a much higher level character from 5E though.