PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom ability, why certain classes don't use it or why some that do shouldn't.

lianightdemon
2014-08-14, 02:25 PM
I've always wondered by certain classes use wisdom as their casting stat, and while others don't.

For instance the cleric uses wisdom but it doesn't make a lot of sense. They gain their power from their connection to their god. They should be using charisma as their primary state since their job requires them spread the word of their god to others.

Sorcerer's also don't make sense to me using charisma, they have had their magic since birth so by the time they grow up it should come as second nature to them, and be more instinct.

Naanomi
2014-08-14, 02:27 PM
Charisma represents force of personality, both in the social sense and in the 'something inside' sense; the inner *something* that fuels Warlock and Sorcerer magic.

Wisdom represents, amongst other things, awareness and connection to one's place in the world. The Wise connect better to their Gods this way and thus channel their magic better.

Sartharina
2014-08-14, 02:30 PM
I'm kind of annoyed that there isn't a CHA-based divine caster in the PHB this time around, and the Cleric has no CHA synergy :(.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-14, 02:34 PM
I'm kind of annoyed that there isn't a CHA-based divine caster in the PHB this time around, and the Cleric has no CHA synergy :(.

Paladin says hi

Sartharina
2014-08-14, 02:35 PM
Paladin says hi

As far as I know, it doesn't have 9th-level casting.

rlc
2014-08-14, 02:36 PM
Charisma represents force of personality, both in the social sense and in the 'something inside' sense; the inner *something* that fuels Warlock and Sorcerer magic.

Wisdom represents, amongst other things, awareness and connection to one's place in the world. The Wise connect better to their Gods this way and thus channel their magic better.

The second part sounds like an argument for the sorcerer to use wisdom as their spellcasting stat (being aware of their place in the world due to their heritage). I agree that wisdom makes more sense for clerics than charisma, but it also makes sense for sorcerers for that reason. I could see warlocks going either way, depending on how you fluff it.

Naanomi
2014-08-14, 02:42 PM
The second part sounds like an argument for the sorcerer to use wisdom as their spellcasting stat (being aware of their place in the world due to their heritage).
The distinction, as I see it, is Sorcerer magic just *happens* as part of themselves fueled only by their own *stuff*, not by channeling or attuning themselves with any outside cosmic force. In fact, I would think the classic Sorcerer is somewhat reckless and full of themselves and their inherent power... not Wise

lianightdemon
2014-08-14, 02:50 PM
I still think if you are more aware of the world then you are also aware of your inner self, especially if you have the insight to tell if someone's lying to you. You'd be more aware of your natural power and thus know how to tap it.

As for clerics they generally focus on whats beyond the world as their gods are not directly part of the world. The gods want their clerics to influence the world for them, since it would create conflicts if all the gods directly influenced the world. So really clerics main purpose is to use their gods power to influence others into doing what their god wants, especially in trying to convince others to join their god. They don't need the insight to see what the world is like cause they expected to change the world into the way their god wants. Even if it's as simple as kill worshipers of gods your god dislikes. It's all about manipulating people into believing what you want them to believe in. While yes the gods actually exist in most D&D worlds, they are still mostly invisible. Only those who have been blessed by them know the true power they have.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-14, 02:53 PM
"Awareness of self" actually falls under Charisma. Charisma is, at its most basic level, your ability to differentiate yourself from your surroundings. It's the 'I exist' ability score.

Wisdom, meanwhile, is your ability to perceive that you have surroundings. It's the 'things other than me exist' ability score.

This is why, incidentally, all creatures had to have Wisdom and Charisma scores in third edition.

lianightdemon
2014-08-14, 03:25 PM
Charisma measures your ability to interact effectively
with others. It includes such factors as confidence
and eloquence, and it can represent a charming or
commanding personality.

Everything in the description for Charisma is talking abut influencing others, and resolving social situations. The only aspect that might hint at what your saying is confidence. Says nothing about self awareness.

Other Wisdom Checks. The DM might call for a
Wisdom check when you try to accomplish tasks like
the following:
• Get a gut feeling about what course of action to follow