PDA

View Full Version : films that left you speechless

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-03-06, 12:46 AM
As the title of the thread indicates, I'll looking for movies y'all have gone to, and upon seeing them and leaving the theatre, have no words to express for what you just saw. Two movies in particular come to mind for me. They are Black Hawk Down and Mystic River. (and I'll stay off my soapbox on M.R. for now unless anyone specifically want to hear what I have to say.)

J_Muller
2007-03-06, 12:52 AM
In a good way, or a bad way?

Amotis
2007-03-06, 12:53 AM
A Beautiful Mind and Schindler's List come to my mind first. And though it wasn't the best movie, Garden State was reverent to me. Seven Samurai, Enternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Pianist, V, and Fargo were all really good for me but lacked the immediate sadness/beautifulness that went with the first movies.

edito - oh and Gandhi.

Dhavaer
2007-03-06, 12:57 AM
Fairy Tale. Because it was so boring, it put me to sleep.

The Orange Zergling
2007-03-06, 01:01 AM
Breach, Amazing Grace, and Last Samurai.

Jerthanis
2007-03-06, 01:37 AM
What Dreams May Come and High Fidelity

Teal Kuinshi
2007-03-06, 07:32 PM
Blazing Saddles. There are so many things wrong with that movie...

Ethdred
2007-03-06, 07:40 PM
Seven - I can clearly remember sitting there looking at but not seeing the credits as the NIN soundtrack rolled just stunned by the way the film ended. Donnie Darko and Pi both left me thinking 'What the &^*% just happened to my head'. Naked Lunch was a bit like that but because of the people I saw it with I actually came out really energised and wanting to do something wierd

Khantalas
2007-03-06, 07:50 PM
Amadeus.

If there is a movie worth every Oscar, this one would be it.

thorgrim29
2007-03-06, 09:50 PM
A film we have in Canada called "Bon cop Bad cop", really good, and the concept is so different from most everything else. Also Merry Christmas, a movie about fraternising in the trenches during WWI.

Wippit Guud
2007-03-06, 10:48 PM
Seven, without a doubt.

Corlindale
2007-03-07, 02:46 AM
Der Siebente Continent(The Seventh Continent) left me completely speechless, and I daresay it'll have that effect on most people. Very shocking movie.

slapdash
2007-03-07, 11:21 AM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. <3

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-07, 11:29 AM
Donnie Darko and Pi both left me thinking 'What the &^*% just happened to my head'.

Of course they were confusing. You don't commit suicide when you're in the right state of mind.

I usually don't get confused by movies. This is because I treat them as a sequence of events. I don't understand any deeper meaning but I at least get the story.

MrsbwcMD
2007-03-07, 12:22 PM
Recently, I watched "The Lake House" on DVD. It was actually very good (in my opinion), and it took me a long time to speak to my husband because I spent that time trying to figure out all of the jumps in time and when/how things happened. Movies dealing with time and space and jumping around between the two almost always baffle me. I just saw "Primer," an independent movie about basically the same kind of thing. Freaky, weird, and totally blew my mind away. I think "Donnie Darko" was the whole "what the &%$@?" idea for my husband and I as well as "Mullholland Drive." As for the theater, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," "Garden State," "Marie Antoinette," and "Lost in Translation" all left me kind of speechless in different ways.

Druid
2007-03-07, 01:45 PM
Hero, the Jet Li one.

Swordguy
2007-03-07, 01:48 PM
The Ring, but mainly because I called my badly-freaked-out girlfriend's cell phone during the credits. By the time she was done hitting and kicking me, I couldn't breathe, much less talk.

Khantalas
2007-03-07, 06:17 PM
West Side Story.

I just finished watching it. I'll be back when I find the words.

Andiamo
2007-03-07, 07:06 PM
The Prestige. The ending was just so intense... that's definitely one of my favourite movies.

Jack Squat
2007-03-07, 07:33 PM
Darkness left me speechless. I literally couldn't come up with words to describe how disappointed I was in it.

caolle
2007-03-07, 09:52 PM
soooo long ago , and apparently its not released on DVD until 2020 or so but Salute of the Jugger for me (thin it was called summit else for the american release)

kpenguin
2007-03-08, 01:51 AM
A Beautiful Mind. I watched it while on a plane and I can genuinely say that being on a plane made no difference in the way it impacted me.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-08, 02:04 AM
Gattaca- the premise was really good, and I really liked how it ended. Bloody good movie.

Icewalker
2007-03-08, 02:49 AM
actually Peter Jackson's King Kong had quite the speechless type ending. I never actually saw the original, and I have heard there is a horrible version of the movie too, that my dad saw on a plane, which apparently cut out...the music, the exciting parts, and the emotional parts.

Gladiator. I think. Saw it a long time ago.
I can't think of any others off the top of my head, other than many, many episodes of Battlestar Galactica, but that is a TV show not a movie.

Alex Kidd
2007-03-08, 05:52 AM
Falling Down, Bourne Supremacy among others. Holy Grail, I mean was anyone expecting that?!

Though most of all Dr Strangelove did it, seriously the ending, shock, phenomonal hilarity and so much thought hitting your brain at once. Also that's how I want to go, riding a H-bomb like a ****ing cowboy.

efrex
2007-03-08, 09:51 AM
I second Eternal Sunshine; I'm not the world's biggenst cinema-phile, but that movie just had me dancing in the street afterwards, weeping that something that brilliant and artistic and entertaining and wonderful could still be made in this day.

I saw Schindler's List in a large movie theater, and I can't imagine what the usher working that theater must have gone through: hundreds of people chatting going into the theater, and all stunned silence leaving. Life is Beautiful did something similar.

On the other side of "speechless" was Lost in Translation. I really, really, want those hours of my life back...

AdversusVeritas
2007-03-08, 09:55 AM
Session 9. It was honestly one of the best thrillers I've seen in years.

Swordguy
2007-03-08, 10:04 AM
Falling Down, Bourne Supremacy among others. Holy Grail, I mean was anyone expecting that?!

This is a very good point. Heck, we still find people who somehow haven't seen the movie and watch it through with them until that happens, just staring at the screen after the end with a look of delighted anticipation on our faces. Poor newbies never get it. :smallbiggrin:

Gorbash
2007-03-08, 10:06 AM
The Shawshenk Redemption. I think that's my favourite movie.
And of course... Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. Making LOTR into a movie was my dream come true at that time, and although I knew that Gandalf was in fact alive after the battle with Balrog, I cried. Have mercy, I was 13 at the time. :P

Baalzebub
2007-03-08, 10:13 AM
Batman Begins... Dagon too.

EllysW
2007-03-08, 10:45 AM
It's been a long time, but Gallipoli had that effect. Has anyone seen that one? We were just stunned.

Telonius
2007-03-08, 11:05 AM
2001: A Space Odyssey.

Mr Croup
2007-03-08, 02:15 PM
Session 9. It was honestly one of the best thrillers I've seen in years.

Great movie. I don't know if it left me speechless or not, but definitely one of the best thrillers I've seen.

If we're talking "speechless" in a good way, the for two drastically different reasons, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Dead Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112817/). The first because it gets me right in my escapist heart every single time. And the second, well it's just beautiful to me. I mean, it's an existentialist western. You can't beat that.

bosssmiley
2007-03-08, 03:40 PM
"Seven", the original cut of "Brazil", "Falling Down", "Hero", "Kagemusha", "Goodbye Mr Chips", "LOTR:ROTK", "Last Samurai".

Icewalker
2007-03-08, 08:48 PM
Oh yeah, Hero definitely. Lucky Number Slevin a bit too.

Sailacela
2007-03-10, 10:15 AM
I still remember walking out of the theater with my friend after watching Seven. Normally we'd be discussing the movie we'd just seen but the words wouldn't come. I thought how could it end like that? followed immediately by how could it *not* end like that? Definitely a movie that had an impact on me.

In a similar way, Requiem for a Dream messed with my emotions. It's good in a sense that it make you think and pulls no punches with it's subject matter. Be warned that it isn't a pretty movie. I've never been able to bring myself to watch it more than once.

Hephaestus
2007-03-10, 11:02 PM
Alpha Dog (I was exspecting this horrible The Fast and the Furious type movie, quite surprised by the inclusion of a plot and real actors), Planet of the Apes (the original one), Snatch, and Shindler's List. The Passion of the Christ almost did it for me, almost...

Totally Guy
2007-03-11, 05:31 AM
50 first dates left me speechless. I really enjoyed it and then the ending came along and I just wanted to talk to people about how lovely the ending was however I couldn't bring it into any conversation. It left me wanting to talk but unable to.

Aidan305
2007-03-11, 03:43 PM
The only one I can think of that left, and still leaves, me speechless is Eragon.

It was just...

See?

bosssmiley
2007-03-11, 07:42 PM
The only one I can think of that left, and still leaves, me speechless is Eragon.

It was just...

See?

Wow, that bad. :smalleek:

Neon Knight
2007-03-11, 08:10 PM
Schindler's List.

Mr._Blinky
2007-03-11, 08:12 PM
How has Hotel Rowanda not been mentioned yet? I mean, come on, people.:smallannoyed:

Beleriphon
2007-03-11, 08:35 PM
How has Hotel Rowanda not been mentioned yet? I mean, come on, people.:smallannoyed:

Yeah, Hotel Rawanda is a great choice.

MrsbwcMD
2007-03-11, 09:37 PM
I have a new one to add. I watched "The Departed" on DVD, last night. I now know why it won the Oscars for Best Picture and Best Director. Great plot, great script, great acting all around. I know it was based on the Chinese film, "Infernal Affairs," and we actually ended up watching that movie, this evening. "The Departed" blew it's predecessor out of the water. The only thing I could say after the ending was, "Wow!"

Jibar
2007-03-12, 01:23 PM
"LOTR:ROTK"

Oh no. That left me ready to stand up in my chair and scream bloody fire.
Numerous black outs do not build dramatic tension. They make fans VERY unhappy.
:mad:

Though...for films...Donnie Darko (let's not go into it...)
And...not strictly a film. The final episode of Blackadder.
When they go over the top.
I just had nothing to say after that.

rollfrenzy
2007-03-12, 01:31 PM
I have a few. The Usual Suspects. Resevior Dogs. The Wall. (in a WTF way). Just saw Brazil, that was good.

McDeath
2007-03-12, 03:49 PM
End of Evangelion. Oh, and A Scanner Darkly (rightly described as a mindf**k).