PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Looking for examples of a max melee damage per round character...

wolfstone
2014-08-14, 03:38 PM
Okay, so after looking over D&D 3.5, Next and Pathfinder, I want to see what a max level melee-oriented character is capable of. I'd like to see anyone's examples of a character that attacks as many times per turn and/or does the most damage (hopefully there's one that can do both).

Can anyone put up a character sheet of a character that can do this? I'd like to see the stats, class, race, weapons, feats, paths, etc. used to make a max attack and/or damage character so I know what all to look for when building one for myself. thanks to all who can provide this info. :)

Pixel Druid
2014-08-14, 04:09 PM
Post or pre buff? And what level cause i got a pretty good alchemist/barb build

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-14, 04:14 PM
Well, there's currently this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?366746-Most-attacks-possible-per-round) for sheer quantity of attacks; this particular post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17940530&postcount=27) from the thread talks about a crazyass Totemist/Warblade build that, in addition to having 12 attacks, can deal an extra 60 damage per attack on every other round. Also, it doesn't rely on RAW quirks or excess cheese, just the right abilities in the proper combination.

Irk
2014-08-14, 04:17 PM
The Inevitable Nightmare (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3437151) is a pretty good example in terms of PO (Practical Optimization).

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-14, 04:21 PM
Okay, so after looking over D&D 3.5, Next and Pathfinder, I want to see what a max level melee-oriented character is capable of. I'd like to see anyone's examples of a character that attacks as many times per turn and/or does the most damage (hopefully there's one that can do both).

Can anyone put up a character sheet of a character that can do this? I'd like to see the stats, class, race, weapons, feats, paths, etc. used to make a max attack and/or damage character so I know what all to look for when building one for myself. thanks to all who can provide this info. :)

Looking for something playable in a game, or just raw numbers?

bjoern
2014-08-14, 04:22 PM
I've always liked this build.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Ultimate_Damage_Dervish_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_ Build)

Snowbluff
2014-08-14, 04:26 PM
Um... infinity? The easiest being cancer mage + arcane strike + festering anger + aeshkrau.

Well, there's currently this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?366746-Most-attacks-possible-per-round) for sheer quantity of attacks; this particular post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17940530&postcount=27) from the thread talks about a crazyass Totemist/Warblade build that, in addition to having 12 attacks, can deal an extra 60 damage per attack on every other round. Also, it doesn't rely on RAW quirks or excess cheese, just the right abilities in the proper combination.

My build was far more impressive in what it implicated and much more elegant. DB13/ShadowMaurader5 got as many full attacks as you had spell slots (using a conservative ruling). Arcane Strike with power attack could add considerably more damage, and it doesn't require any start up.

wolfstone
2014-08-14, 04:35 PM
Looking for something playable in a game, or just raw numbers?

Looking for ideas for a legal build. I want to understand what a max melee fighter can do so I'll understand the game better and be able to know what to look for when building such a character for myself.

Irk
2014-08-14, 04:35 PM
Here's another shadowpouncer

As a quick idea, try
totemist 2 / Crinti Shadow Marauder 5 / warrior of darkness 1 / Swordsage 10
Grab multi attack and belt of battle and some anklets of translocation

This will give you three very important things
-Shadow Pounce
-Girallon arms to totem chakra
-that move action teleport

full attack w/ 9 attacks
2 full attacks on move action teleport (shadow Pounce and the warrior of darkness ability)
3 move action teleports 3/day (from belt of battle) (otherwise its just 2)
full attack on the translocation teleport

this'll give you (18 x 3) + 9 attacks per round

that's 63 attacks per round
grab assassin's stance and some sneak attack boosting items, let say it goes up to +5d6 sneak attack, reasonable w/ necklace of natural attacks and other items

this'll deal 1d4 + 5d6 per attack

or, in total 63d4 + 513d6
average of 1952.5 damage each round, easily takes anything out.

wraithstrike wand chamber could be on an animated shield

EDIT: I forgot about the bite attack. that's 70 attacks/round.
Crinti shadow marauder gives +2d6 sudden strike, assassin's stance gives +2d6 sneak attack, deadly weapon an amulet of natural attacks is another +1d6, bracers of the hunter is another +1d6, Rogue's vest is ANOTHER +1d6
Craven feat gives+20
This adds up to each attack dealing 1d4+7d6+20
70d4+490d6+1400
average of 3290 damage per round

This build aims to hit Hosed AC, i.e. 10, while dealing more than 3000 damage in a single round. It is a one-trick pony, though, so watch out for that while optimizing for damage. Totemist skill boosters and Teleports are the only other things really worth of note, but most of your essentia ought to be invested in Girallon Arms anway.

Menzath
2014-08-14, 04:58 PM
For high level, I would not rely on shadow pounce because a dimensional lock/anchor will be inevitable. And unless you have a way to get around types naturally immune to precision damage(or fortification ability) I would not rely on those either.
I mean I made a rules legal ardent/teflammar S.L. that had infinite attacks+teleports a turn.
But most DMs will turn the cheese off one way or another.

I think instead of high level see how much a melee can do by level 5-15. That seems like a much more reasonable baseline to compare to.

heavyfuel
2014-08-14, 05:08 PM
Um... infinity? The easiest being cancer mage + arcane strike + festering anger + aeshkrau.

I was thinking more Halfling Crusader/Cleric with Gauntlet.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-14, 05:14 PM
Looking for ideas for a legal build. I want to understand what a max melee fighter can do so I'll understand the game better and be able to know what to look for when building such a character for myself.

Ok. There's generally understood to be a difference between playable in a game and legal, though. Melee builds exist that do damage of such magnitude that regular exponential notation can't express it. And there's an infamous thing - it's not really a build, more an exercise, though it's completely legal - called Pun-Pun that achieves arbitrarily high numbers in everything. And the d2 Crusader does infinite damage.

In general, though, no one plays those things. They're answers to the question "what happens if". As for things people actually play, a charger with sorta the bare bones of optimization is easily capable of hitting triple-digit damage per round from mid levels up. Most of the challenge for an optimized melee character is in the "how do I get over there to hit that thing" and not as much "how can I hit it hard enough that it dies". When you do 300+ damage a round, there's not a ton of benefit to cranking it up to 5,000 a round if you'll never get there.

The same is true with numbers of attacks per round. I think the highest anyone's built is a little over a million in a single round. It's desperately cheesy, of course, and at most tables people won't even think about running it. There are lots of builds out there that generate lots of attacks a round, though it's usually considered more efficient to boost damage instead of number of attacks.

Vaz
2014-08-14, 05:47 PM
This is what I consider to be a reasonably powerful PO, fun themed build.

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3429956

It has none of the normal staples you see, which tend to resolve around a Craven Sneak Attacking Multi-Shadow Pouncer dealing around 400+ damage before adding in weapon bonuses, or an ubercharger who deals enough damage 437 times over to kill one thing (and then gets gibbed by the other monsters). No Power Attack, just your ability to blow enemies around the battlefield, which in itself is really kinda cool

The other fun type of character I like is the Dungeoncrasher Fighter, and using that to slap your enemies about. Having some form of ability to block a target helps here.

The other option is to pick up X8/Ardent 3, with Metamorphosis, and Magic Mantle, with Practised Manifester and Practised Spellcaster, and an Orange Ioun Stone. This gives you ML12, and can take the form of something like a War Troll. Maxing out UMD and getting prayer beads of Karma, as well as Expansion turns you into quite a frightful gish, slapping around, dealing Dazing Blows all over.