PDA

View Full Version : in a game where RAW works once....

arkangel111
2014-08-14, 03:41 PM
Since most sane people play RAI, my question is this. If your DM told you that he would let one thing fly for each player but it had to work RAW, and only worked that way for that player, what would you choose?

My personal favorite is the ridiculously cost effective shuriken shenanigans. Morphing Sizing +1 weapon for only pennies... yes please.

Giddonihah
2014-08-14, 03:46 PM
Iron Heart Surge. Remove the constraint of only being allowed one thing RAW via the power of flexing.

malonkey1
2014-08-14, 03:49 PM
Iron Heart Surge. Remove the constraint of only being allowed one thing RAW via the power of flexing.

The problem is that it would do so by ending the source of the effect (e.g., all RAW sources would cease to work). Meaning literally the entire system would cease to exist, and you and the rest of the PCs will wake up as the Powerpuff Girls (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOVV-ED9DUw#t=14)

bjoern
2014-08-14, 03:50 PM
Since most sane people play RAI, my question is this. If your DM told you that he would let one thing fly for each player but it had to work RAW, and only worked that way for that player, what would you choose?

My personal favorite is the ridiculously cost effective shuriken shenanigans. Morphing Sizing +1 weapon for only pennies... yes please.

The "Timmy the power gamer" in me has always likes the dragonwrought venerable kobold with loredrake nonsense. For two feats you get +2 full caster levels , a bunch of mental stat boosts, and your HD become d10s. It works RAW but was clearly not meant to be used with kobolds.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-14, 04:21 PM
Human Divine Minion (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) with Master of Many Forms.

You're an Outsider (Augmented Humanoid), Aberration Blood lists 'humanoid' as a prerequisite (not creature type: humanoid, just humanoid), you have 'humanoid' on your character sheet, so you qualify. Get Aberration Wild Shape, take Assume Supernatural Ability: Eye Rays. Also get Exalted Wild Shape.

Turn into a Cave Troll, charge, pounce, make two claws, a bite, and two rakes. Free action wild shape into a Darktentacles, heal as though you rested a night, continue full attacking with twelve slam attacks. Free action wild shape into a Grell, heal as though you rested a night, continue full attacking with ten tentacle attacks. Free action wild shape into a Cildabrin, heal as though you rested a night, continue full attacking with two pincers and a tail sting. Free action wild shape into a Unicorn, heal as though you rested a night, continue full attacking with a horn and two hooves. Free action wild shape into a Beholder, heal as though you rested a night, make as many eye ray attacks as you can. Free action wild shape into any of the various Beholderkin, heal as though you rested a night, make as many eye ray attacks as you can. Free action wild shape into a Beholder or Beholderkin pointed a different direction, heal as though you rested a night, make any eye ray attacks you haven't already used this round. Repeat as often as necessary to heal yourself to full hp. Free action wild shape into a Blink Dog, blink and dimension door at will also as a free action.

bjoern
2014-08-14, 04:26 PM
Human Divine Minion (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) with Master of Many Forms.

You're an Outsider (Augmented Humanoid), Aberration Blood lists 'humanoid' as a prerequisite (not creature type: humanoid, just humanoid), you have 'humanoid' on your character sheet, so you qualify. Get Aberration Wild Shape, take Assume Supernatural Ability: Eye Rays. Also get Exalted Wild Shape.

Turn into a Cave Troll, charge, pounce, make two claws, a bite, and two rakes. Free action wild shape into a Darktentacles, heal as though you rested a night, continue full attacking with twelve slam attacks. Free action wild shape into a Grell, heal as though you rested a night, continue full attacking with ten tentacle attacks. Free action wild shape into a Cildabrin, heal as though you rested a night, continue full attacking with two pincers and a tail sting. Free action wild shape into a Unicorn, heal as though you rested a night, continue full attacking with a horn and two hooves. Free action wild shape into a Beholder, heal as though you rested a night, make as many eye ray attacks as you can. Free action wild shape into any of the various Beholderkin, heal as though you rested a night, make as many eye ray attacks as you can. Free action wild shape into a Beholder or Beholderkin pointed a different direction, heal as though you rested a night, make any eye ray attacks you haven't already used this round. Repeat as often as necessary to heal yourself to full hp. Free action wild shape into a Blink Dog, blink and dimension door at will also as a free action.

That's just nuts. I'm visualizing this as some kind of crazy Tekken combo where the other guy just gets minced and never hits the floor.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-14, 04:35 PM
That's just nuts. I'm visualizing this as some kind of crazy Tekken combo where the other guy just gets minced and never hits the floor.

Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat.

bjoern
2014-08-14, 04:40 PM
Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat.

Your right! That's him to a T. Speaking about crazy shapes, I had a lycanthrope once and the whole party walked into a baleful polymorph trap turning us all into mice. Should have been a TPK, but I had the ability to shape change at will so I was able to just change from a mouse to my monster form. Then for completely comedic purposes, the DM allowed Me to keep the mouse effect on me so I could change back to a mouse at will. Believe it or not it came in quite handy being able to turn a raging tank meat shield into an itty bitty mouse.

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 04:47 PM
Aah yes, qualifying for the prereq "Wild Shape Class Feature" with something that's not wild shape and isn't a class feature.

Also, infinite attacks per turn? This is just a "the rules don't say I can't" situation, right?

HaikenEdge
2014-08-14, 04:47 PM
Working under the assumption that there are an infinite number of Knowledge skills, and the Knowledge skills listed in the Skills section are just the most common ones (since the SRD says " Below are listed typical fields of study. "), I'd like to give my player ranks in Knowledge (Dungeons & Dragons), then just boost it up sky high and use that Knowledge check whenever possible.

Amphetryon
2014-08-14, 04:49 PM
Snowcasting Flash Frost Explosive Spell Fell Drain Fimbulwinter, with appropriate metamagic reducers.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-14, 05:06 PM
Snowcasting Flash Frost Explosive Spell Fell Drain Fimbulwinter, with appropriate metamagic reducers.

From the words in that sentence which I recognize, it seems... terrifying. What exactly does it all do?

Amphetryon
2014-08-14, 05:15 PM
From the words in that sentence which I recognize, it seems... terrifying. What exactly does it all do?

All those within the radius of the spell take 2 cold damage, lose a level, and are blasted to the edge of the spell's radius. Fimbulwinter's area of effect is 1 mile per caster level. Those thrown to the edge will take falling damage, 1d6/10' thrown (possibly capped, depending on interpretation). It's theoretically centered on you, but that can be changed with shenanigans.

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 05:20 PM

Fimbulwinter - 8th-9th level spell. Lasts months, area 1 Mile/Level.
Snowcasting: Grants it +1 CL. You can skip this pretty easy.
Flash Frost: Deals 2/CL to creatures in the area (plus some unimportant riders).
Explosive Spell: Illegal, since the spell doesn't force a reflex save. If it worked it would shove everyone that failed said save for miles, dealing them hundreds of dice of damage.
Fell Drain: Anyone dealt damage takes a negative level. This can kill them. Especially if they're a commoner.

So, cut out explosive spell, use it in a population center, and you still have a wightocalypse.

So basically, this trick is just like the locate city bomb: hilarious but RAW illegal.

Amphetryon
2014-08-14, 05:37 PM
Fimbulwinter - 8th-9th level spell. Lasts months, area 1 Mile/Level.
Snowcasting: Grants it +1 CL. You can skip this pretty easy.
Flash Frost: Deals 2/CL to creatures in the area (plus some unimportant riders).
Explosive Spell: Illegal, since the spell doesn't force a reflex save. If it worked it would shove everyone that failed said save for miles, dealing them hundreds of dice of damage.
Fell Drain: Anyone dealt damage takes a negative level. This can kill them. Especially if they're a commoner.

So, cut out explosive spell, use it in a population center, and you still have a wightocalypse.

So basically, this trick is just like the locate city bomb: hilarious but RAW illegal.

I am confident there's another metamagic feat that can add a REF save to Fimbulwinter, particularly once it's doing cold damage. Add that, delete (if necessary) Fell Drain.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-14, 05:38 PM
Aah yes, qualifying for the prereq "Wild Shape Class Feature" with something that's not wild shape and isn't a class feature.

Also, infinite attacks per turn? This is just a "the rules don't say I can't" situation, right?

Make it a template class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp), it's now a class feature.

"Fast Wild Shape (Su): A divine minion can wild shape as an 11th-level druid..." This is indeed wild shape.

It's not infinite attacks, it's one set of claws, one set of bites, one set of slams, one set of tentacles, one set of hooves, one set of gores, one set of pincers, one set of tail stings, and then a bunch of free-action eye rays which are each usable only 1/round. Far from infinite, and nowhere near 1,067,121 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0).

Edit: I could have thrown on Telflammar Shadowlord or Crinti Shadow Marauder to get Shadow Pounce, so switching to a Blink Dog and using the free-action Dimension Door would get another full attack, but I chose not to.

heavyfuel
2014-08-14, 05:42 PM
Make it a template class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp), it's now a class feature.

"Fast Wild Shape (Su): A divine minion can wild shape as an 11th-level druid..." This is indeed wild shape.

I don't think that "Fast Wild Shape" counts as "Wild Shape". It might be a fine RAI, but if we're talking RAW, things are only the same if they have the same name (which they don't).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-14, 05:45 PM
I don't think that "Fast Wild Shape" counts as "Wild Shape". It might be a fine RAI, but if we're talking RAW, things are only the same if they have the same name (which they don't).

Generally yes, but it specifically functions as wild shape.

bekeleven
2014-08-14, 07:33 PM
Generally yes, but it specifically functions as wild shape.

Yeah, it functions as wild shape. That doesn't mean it is wild shape.

If I wield a +1 proficient Net, I still don't qualify for Net and Trident. But it functions like I do.