PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 + PF] Feats for Parkour?

Palanan
2014-08-14, 05:55 PM
What feats would be essential for a character who's expert in parkour?

The much-maligned Run feat might actually be useful here, for the bonus to Jump checks, but I'd be interested in any feat that contributes to parkour funkiness.

heavyfuel
2014-08-14, 06:00 PM
Roofwalker and Roof-Jumper feats from Cityscape come to mind.

malonkey1
2014-08-14, 06:01 PM
Try the Roof Runner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/roof-runner) feat, would be my first thing to think of.

firebrandtoluc
2014-08-14, 06:01 PM
Look into skill tricks in complete scoundrel. Some of them ARE parkour.

Extra Anchovies
2014-08-14, 06:19 PM
Look into skill tricks in complete scoundrel. Some of them ARE parkour.

Some skill tricks of note:
Corner Perch: as long as you have two opposing walls (e.g. a chimney or narrow alley) or two intersecting walls (an inside corner) to brace against, you can leave your hands free.
Leaping Climber: at the start of a climb check, you can jump as a swift action (with no need for a running start) and add the vertical jump check result to the distance climbed that turn.
Wall Jumper: if you successfully climbed a wall on the current or previous turn, you can jump from the wall with all the benefits of a running start.
Also the feat that lets you get more movement tricks is called Freerunner. But then, the fastest way to annoy a parkour or freerunning enthusiast (outside of Assassin's Creed references) is to ask them if Parkour and Free Running are the same thing, so you may not want that :smallbiggrin:

If you're using Psionics, there's a few very obvious choices: Speed of Thought (+10 feet to speed as long as you're focused; it's an insight bonus, too, so it stacks with magic) and Up the Walls. Up the Walls in particular is amazing; as long as you start and end your move on a horizontal surface (and are psionically focused), you can spend any amount of the remainder to run up, down, or along vertical surfaces at no speed penalty. If you have psionics available and don't take Up the Walls, you're not doing parkour properly.

The Thief-Acrobat prestige class might also be worth a look.

Psyren
2014-08-14, 06:24 PM
As Anchovies mentioned, you want psionics for this. There is even a Traceur (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Fhr-HapZE) archetype for the Psywar which segues nicely into Elocater. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/elocater)

Palanan
2014-08-14, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by heavyfuel
Roofwalker and Roof-Jumper feats from Cityscape come to mind.

Anything with "roof" in it, I'll take a look at.

:smalltongue:

Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies
Also the feat that lets you get more movement tricks is called Freerunner.

Aha, thanks. I know and love skill tricks, but hadn't remembered this feat.

Originally Posted by Psyren
As Anchovies mentioned, you want psionics for this.

Actually, no psionics. Sorry 'bout that. But oddball feats from Pathfinder would be fine.

Gildedragon
2014-08-14, 09:08 PM
straight up skills are something you want so:
nymph's kiss
acrobatic
skill focus (jump, tumble, climb)
Run
martial stance: leaping dragon stance and walk of the spider

PraxisVetli
2014-08-14, 09:41 PM
There's a feat Brachiation (somethin like that) in Complete Adventurer, allows full movement through treetops, so long as your 20' in air.

Palanan
2014-08-15, 09:07 PM
I'm half-remembering a feat that has something to do with leaping around spires...maybe? It's a glimmer of a memory of a feat in a sidebar, having something to do with athletic prowess and championship. Might be in an Eberron book, but I can't be sure.

Ring any bells? Driving me nuts.

Irk
2014-08-15, 09:21 PM
I'm half-remembering a feat that has something to do with leaping around spires...maybe? It's a glimmer of a memory of a feat in a sidebar, having something to do with athletic prowess and championship. Might be in an Eberron book, but I can't be sure.

Ring any bells? Driving me nuts.
Yes, I got it as soon as you mentioned it, it's in Complete Scoundrel p. 148: Agile Athlete. Climb and Jump use DEX instead of STR. I don't know if that's useful, but I hope it's what you were looking for. It is in a sidebar and next to a legendary site called "the highest spire".

Palanan
2014-08-15, 09:51 PM
Outstanding, thank you. Exactly what I'm looking for, and a classic case of transposed memory. Score one for the hivemind. :smalltongue:

Slipperychicken
2014-08-16, 06:48 AM
I don't think any feats are necessary for this. Just putting ranks in the relevant skills lets you replicate most of the tricks which Assassin's Creed protagonists do. Also, it seems wasteful to dump your feats into movement modes (climbing, jumping) which are going to be obsolete by level 10.

If it were me, I'd get a Climb speed (ideally 30ft or more), plus some ranks in jump, tumble, maybe climb, and balance. That gets you everything you need, really. If I were really into it, I'd be a Rogue and get the thing which lets me Take 10 on those skills at all times.

malonkey1
2014-08-16, 02:10 PM
I don't think any feats are necessary for this. Just putting ranks in the relevant skills lets you replicate most of the tricks which Assassin's Creed protagonists do. Also, it seems wasteful to dump your feats into movement modes (climbing, jumping) which are going to be obsolete by level 10.

If it were me, I'd get a Climb speed (ideally 30ft or more), plus some ranks in jump, tumble, maybe climb, and balance. That gets you everything you need, really. If I were really into it, I'd be a Rogue and get the thing which lets me Take 10 on those skills at all times.

Well, obsoleteness is in the eye of the beholder (sorry, Eye Tyrant). If it's a low-magic game, then land movement may remain perfectly valid, or if flight is otherwise out of reach.

Palanan
2014-08-16, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Malonkey1
If it's a low-magic game, then land movement may remain perfectly valid, or if flight is otherwise out of reach.

Indeed. For now she's relying on feats for what she wants to do.

That said, I'm not finding too many feats that really stand out to me. Agile Athlete is going in there (thanks, Irk!) and Daredevil Athlete is also good, and Freerunner is a must for movement skill tricks; but I still have a couple feats to spare and nothing else is grabbing me. Roofwalker and Roofjumper don't really fit (and are partly replicated by skill tricks), and there are other aspects of her build which overlap with Roof-Runner.

Are there other feats along the same lines as Agile Athlete and Daredevil Athlete? Or better yet, anything that would support or synergize with some of the movement skill tricks?