PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Runescarred Berserker Primal Path (WIP)

CyberThread
2014-08-14, 09:48 PM
Path choices 3rd, 6th, 10th, 14th.

So am using ductape, this is a first draft of trying to get the Runescarred Beserker PRC to fit within the primal path function of the barbarian and give it a gish option. I would love to hear what you folks think. The spell list is a bit of a mess due too the rune prc having a infamous unusual spell options.

No Fluff at this time

3rd: Runescared Pact Magic – Divine, Cost 2HP per spell level , Con is casting stat, Eldritch Knight Spell progression. Scars are renewable on long rests Can use magic while raged, but cost the use of of the scar, and scar must be recreated to use that spell again. Paladin spell choice method

6th: Spirits Trust - Gain +1 bonus while benefiting from unarmored defense , +1 extra rage use

10th: Gain +2 Spirits Trust , Mystic Rage – Once Per rage you may attack and use a spell as a bonus action.

14th: +3 Spirits Trust, One with the spirts: Immunity to cold type damage

Spell List: 1st: Protection from good and evil , see invisibility , true strike(cantrip?), cure minor wounds, Endure elements, Bless

2nd; prayer of healing, Enhance Ability , invisibility, protection from energy , spiritual weapon , water walk

3rd cure serious wounds, divine power, air walk, Haste,freedom of movement, dispel magic, spirit guardians

4th, greater invisibility, stoneskin, restoration , cure criticle wounds

5th, Antimagic field, dimension door, heal, polymorph , spell resistance, inspect plague

Change Log: .01

Jenckes
2014-08-15, 08:33 AM
Seems pretty solid. A few minor critiques: Cure wounds is a spell now. To cast it more for greater affect you just use a higher spell slot. Cure Mass Wounds is a spell you may want to consider. Possibly make it so they don't damage themselves to cast a cure spell?

If you're going to give them dimensional door at high level, maybe consider giving them misty step as a lvl 2 spell (bonus action to teleport 30ft). I also don't really know how I feel about a raging barbarian casting invisibility. Mechanically it's rather weak as a barbarian can already get advantage on her attack rolls and a barbarian must make an attack or lose her rage. Fluff wise it just seems odd. Invisibility seems like more of a sneaky/backs-stabby spell. Doesn't really seem suited for the barbarian that's screaming at his enemies as she recklessly swings a great-axe.

True strike is just a cantrip in this edition that gives advantage on the caster's next attack roll. Not something that helps a barbarian. Also, it may seem nit-picky but you should probably write something about how spending a round not attacking an enemy doesn't end a Runescarred Berserker's rage. Otherwise every time you stop to cast a spell (before 10th level) your rage will end.

Stoneskin: Is just a spell that gives resistance to physical damage, something all barbarians have while raging. Maybe it's there just to buff the party? Just wanted to make sure you knew a barbarian likely wouldn't use it on herself.

Giving the barbarian access to bless may be a little too good. It's probably one of the best level 1 spells in the game. I would consider either losing bless or coming up with an alternate ability for Spirit's Trust. It's probably too good. It gives Barbs access to the highest AC in the game. Having that and bless on the spell list is a bit much. I would consider only letting it go up to +2 and making Mystic Rage into an ability that may only be used while raging (getting rid of the once per rule). I don't think any of your spells are going to break things by allowing them to be cast as a bonus action. If they are that bad they can probably only be cast twice a day anyhow.

StabbityRabbit
2014-08-16, 08:28 AM
I don't have the player's handbook so what I'm about to post is probably affected by this, but what does this do?

The path has eldritch knight spell progression. Cool, but how is a less rules savvy player going to know what this means? You also say it has a paladin spell selection system. Again how is a less rules savvy player going to know what this means. Then you also say something about how spells cost hp?

At this point you should probably just list exactly how the spell system works because it's entirely new, I have a faint idea of how it works, and I have a feeling others who don't know the rules as well as you feel the same way.

In spirits trust you say that while benefiting from unarmored defense you gain a +1 bonus. Awesome! What is it a bonus to? You don't list what to give the bonus to, and open up the door to allow powergamers and munckins to apply the bonus to everything. That would be a powerful ability indeed.

Later spirits trust improves by +X. See the above problems with spirits trust.

Mystic rage...That is...that's...wow. My reading of it says as a bonus action you can attack, and cast a spell. That's really good. At once per rage that's not game breaking, but it still makes me want to take this path. Good job.

One with the spirits: I get what you were going for, but that to me seems kind of boring. Plus aren't spirits more about not taking damage from physical sources? Maybe change it to: The barbarian gains resistance to piercing,slashing,bludgeoning, and cold damage equal to the number of scars he has used. This resistance changes back to zero at the end of a long rest.

One with the spirits is good as is, but I thought I'd hand out a suggestion.

I can't critique on spells as I don't know what they're like.

It looks nice, but the formatting needs to be fixed.

rlc
2014-08-16, 06:52 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design