PDA

View Full Version : Rouge legacy like game: need help optimizing heirs?

Pinkie Pyro
2014-08-15, 01:32 AM
As the title says, I'm currently involved in a slightly experimental game, intended to be super deadly and played with a system I came up with to allow the game to be "perma-level 1".

I am starting off as a slave (possibly commoner class, we're discussing) with randomly rolled stats. Unless I try to escape without having a heir first, I'm mostly going to be limited to human, orc, or lizardfolk as potential first brides.

any thoughts on the situation?

Coidzor
2014-08-15, 11:32 AM
I think we probably need a bit more information to give feedback.

I don't know that humans or orcs can cross with lizardfolk, for example, so a lizardfolk might have some issues with basically always being stuck with lizardfolk until getting to things like demons or dragons.

pwykersotz
2014-08-15, 12:20 PM
I think we probably need a bit more information to give feedback.

I don't know that humans or orcs can cross with lizardfolk, for example, so a lizardfolk might have some issues with basically always being stuck with lizardfolk until getting to things like demons or dragons.

Naturally the one who suggests using Greater Magic Makeup in his sig replies to the thread mentioning Rouge. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2014-08-15, 12:33 PM
Naturally the one who suggests using Greater Magic Makeup in his sig replies to the thread mentioning Rouge. :smalltongue:

Well, if you're going to be marrying a lizardwoman, you're probably going to want her to apply some rouge, I suppose.

Then again... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0676.html)

Pinkie Pyro
2014-08-15, 08:39 PM
Ok, little more information;

I'm a level 1 commoner, and we've rolled for every stat, including height, weight, and gender.

as such, turns out I'm female. I plan to escape slavery with a distraction by animals I trained with handle animal.

As for lizardfolk, turns out they don't exist yet, as dragons haven't come back to the plane. (this also means no kobolds, wyverns, anything related to dragons, actually, and no wizards, as arcane magic is based on high draconic blah blah blah setting stuff)

I'm escaping to an elven villlage 2 weeks away.

not sure what I should do once there, though.

to be honest, I'm thinking about going after a drow, as they haven't been shunned from the surface yet, and the spell-likes seem really useful.

Coidzor
2014-08-15, 08:58 PM
Ok, little more information;

I'm a level 1 commoner, and we've rolled for every stat, including height, weight, and gender.

Gonna be able to rebuild to another class or level up into a non-commoner class when/if you hit level 2?

as such, turns out I'm female. I plan to escape slavery with a distraction by animals I trained with handle animal.

Hmm. Tricky. Going by strict 3.5, going with either an orc or elf lover isn't really that good, unless you plan on continually rebreeding with the other race until the half-orc or half-elf becomes a full-orc or full-elf after several generations.

Though randomly rolling for stats isn't really conducive to making a focused melee water orc or Elven Generalist Wizard Grey Elf...

How's the DM handling pregnancy and adventuring during? That's gonna be rather important. Granted, if you can timeskip while using craft or profession to make money for most of that period of downtime, that's probably for the best...

Heh. Pregnancy'd probably be a great time for magic item crafting, actually. XD

Handle Animal *is* always fun, though. Might spend some of that downtime rearing and training animals for adventuring with, actually... Adventuring with a kid is going to be a PITA, especially as that's your next character so it's not exactly expendable due to the hurdles of investing a bunch of time in finding another mate and sprogging...

As for lizardfolk, turns out they don't exist yet, as dragons haven't come back to the plane. (this also means no kobolds, wyverns, anything related to dragons, actually, and no wizards, as arcane magic is based on high draconic blah blah blah setting stuff)

Weird, since lizardfolk aren't really linked to dragons, usually, but ok. Archivists are even more powerful now if there are no Wizards, since no one has access to the spells they don't have access to and they get the best of the lot between clerics, druids, shugenja, divine bards, rangers, and paladins...

Psionics on the table?

I'm escaping to an elven villlage 2 weeks away.

not sure what I should do once there, though.

Find a party of NPC adventurers to join? :smallconfused: Find a group of non-slave humans?

to be honest, I'm thinking about going after a drow, as they haven't been shunned from the surface yet, and the spell-likes seem really useful.

<_< Drow shouldn't really exist yet, then. I'd avoid getting drawn into the Elven Civil War until you can profit from doing so.

Pinkie Pyro
2014-08-16, 02:20 AM
Gonna be able to rebuild to another class or level up into a non-commoner class when/if you hit level 2?

Hmm. Tricky. Going by strict 3.5, going with either an orc or elf lover isn't really that good, unless you plan on continually rebreeding with the other race until the half-orc or half-elf becomes a full-orc or full-elf after several generations.

Though randomly rolling for stats isn't really conducive to making a focused melee water orc or Elven Generalist Wizard Grey Elf...

How's the DM handling pregnancy and adventuring during? That's gonna be rather important. Granted, if you can timeskip while using craft or profession to make money for most of that period of downtime, that's probably for the best...

Heh. Pregnancy'd probably be a great time for magic item crafting, actually. XD

Handle Animal *is* always fun, though. Might spend some of that downtime rearing and training animals for adventuring with, actually... Adventuring with a kid is going to be a PITA, especially as that's your next character so it's not exactly expendable due to the hurdles of investing a bunch of time in finding another mate and sprogging...

Weird, since lizardfolk aren't really linked to dragons, usually, but ok. Archivists are even more powerful now if there are no Wizards, since no one has access to the spells they don't have access to and they get the best of the lot between clerics, druids, shugenja, divine bards, rangers, and paladins...

Psionics on the table?

Find a party of NPC adventurers to join? :smallconfused: Find a group of non-slave humans?

<_< Drow shouldn't really exist yet, then. I'd avoid getting drawn into the Elven Civil War until you can profit from doing so.

in order:

yes

an elven generalist wizard would actually be pretty good down the line, now that I think about it.

time skip, and yeah, perfect time for crafting.

character might retire after she has children, especially considering her background, prolly not the adventuring type.

psionics are a go, but I've gotta get dirty with a mindflayer or eat it's brain if i want to get in on it :P

why would drow not exist, exactly?

Coidzor
2014-08-16, 02:29 AM
an elven generalist wizard would actually be pretty good down the line, now that I think about it.

If you're feeling lucky with the ability scores, aye. Quite nice. You'd have to ask your DM how many generations it takes. The best I can recollect of the lore is that 3/4 Elves still count as Half-elves, race-wise. Not sure about 7/8th Elves, though.

I suppose trying to go Druid in the intervening generations before Arcane Magic's on the table would help make up for the lower Con by having meat shields through the Animal Companion and summons.

time skip, and yeah, perfect time for crafting.

I suppose setting up an animal breeding and training business might give an advantage to the next generation getting to start out with a dog or two? Hmm...

character might retire after she has children, especially considering her background, prolly not the adventuring type.

Point.

psionics are a go, but I've gotta get dirty with a mindflayer or eat it's brain if i want to get in on it :P

Oh my, that does sound like Fun Times, either way. So Mindflayers are currently around but Dragons haven't come back/been invented yet. Intriguing setting.

why would drow not exist, exactly?

Drow breaking with the rest of the Elves is roughly coterminous with there being Drow to begin with. Prior to the civil war or whatever the formal name for it was, the Drow were just regular old Elves. Around the time of the civil war, during the build-up to it, or in its aftermath, a bunch of the Elves that would become the Drow started sleeping with some Demon Lord type, tainting their blood, IIRC. Though not *all* Drow had that demonic taint in their bloodline.

Pinkie Pyro
2014-08-16, 02:51 AM
If you're feeling lucky with the ability scores, aye. Quite nice. You'd have to ask your DM how many generations it takes. The best I can recollect of the lore is that 3/4 Elves still count as Half-elves, race-wise. Not sure about 7/8th Elves, though.

Drow breaking with the rest of the Elves is roughly coterminous with there being Drow to begin with. Prior to the civil war or whatever the formal name for it was, the Drow were just regular old Elves. Around the time of the civil war, during the build-up to it, or in its aftermath, a bunch of the Elves that would become the Drow started sleeping with some Demon Lord type, tainting their blood, IIRC. Though not *all* Drow had that demonic taint in their bloodline.

Don't worry, my DM subscribes to half-elf can get into either human only or elf only prestige classes and whatnot, so won't be a problem.

Unfortunantly, my DM agrees, until they split off from the rest and worship spider god they are just boring old black elves :P

And thank you, my group has been working on the setting for about 2 years now, we're hoping to flesh it out enough to maybe sell adventure paths and whatnot.