PDA

View Full Version : Vampires in the Stickverse

mouser9169
2014-08-15, 02:57 AM
This obviously matters for Durkula, and also for Belkar if he gets 'turned' by Durkula (or some other vamp, for that matter). The conventional wisdom on the board seems to be that when you get turned into a vampire, "you" leave and another spirit moves in. But here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0652.html) we have Xykon, who presumably should be an authority on the subject, listing a vampire as one of the possible means of attaining immortality and avoiding the afterlife (love the nod to BECMI there, btw).

That would mean that Durkon stuck inside his own head is _not_ the normal course of events for vampires, which means Hel pulled something serious off in getting Durkula to exist. V and Belkar seem to be the only ones in the party making a real distinction between Durkon and Durkula. If the 'different spirit' thing was the standard, I would think V would know about from all her studies.

Since she hasn't made a point of stating to the party, "Hey guys, although the outward appearance of this undead creation may bear superficial visible resemblances to the dwarf in our adventuring party known as Durkon, said dwarf has departed for his designated afterlife with his body now being inhabited by a new spirit having no prior relation to esteemed comrade." Or something equally verbose yet to the point.

Gift Jeraff
2014-08-15, 03:02 AM
Rich confirmed it's the standard for vampires in the universe, and that no one has ever been both vampirized and resurrected--so that knowledge is very obscure.

Xykon is by no means an authority on the subject.He didn't even know what a lich was moments before starting the lich ritual.

V probably knows next to nothing about the undead beyond the basics. All of V's studies were in the pursuit of power, and since he barred necromancy, there was little reason to look into them.

mouser9169
2014-08-15, 03:17 AM
Found The Giant's post on the subject. Oh well, throw that theory out the window... :smallfrown:

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-08-15, 05:56 AM
For more information, check out my sig; that's what it's here for.

factotum
2014-08-15, 07:01 AM
Xykon is by no means an authority on the subject.

I think the assumption people often make is that Xykon should be an expert on the undead, being undead himself. However, that assumption makes no sense when you think about it--it would be like assuming that I'm an expert brain surgeon because I happen to possess a brain!

Kish
2014-08-15, 07:29 AM
Yes, I was going to say. "Xykon should know" is actually marginally worse than (also insupportable) "Vaarsuvius should know," since Knowledge (Religion) isn't even a class skill for Xykon. "Malack should know," "Durkon should (now) know," and "Hel should know" are the only formulations that work, and none of those worthies have indicated anything that contradicts Rich's posts.

Keltest
2014-08-15, 07:53 AM
Yes, I was going to say. "Xykon should know" is actually marginally worse than (also insupportable) "Vaarsuvius should know," since Knowledge (Religion) isn't even a class skill for Xykon. "Malack should know," "Durkon should (now) know," and "Hel should know" are the only formulations that work, and none of those worthies have indicated anything that contradicts Rich's posts.

Well, arguably Malack did, but Rich has also flat out said that Malack's dialogue was deliberately written like that to muddle the issue. It worked.

Peelee
2014-08-15, 09:05 AM
I think the assumption people often make is that Xykon should be an expert on the undead, being undead himself. However, that assumption makes no sense when you think about it--it would be like assuming that I'm an expert brain surgeon because I happen to possess a brain!

But i already made an appointment with your secretary! Wjo will surgeon on my brain now?

factotum
2014-08-15, 11:04 AM
But i already made an appointment with your secretary! Wjo will surgeon on my brain now?

I never said the assumption was *wrong* in my case, did I? Now shush and prepare for anaesthesia, we'll start as soon as the payment reaches my account. :smallbiggrin: