PDA

View Full Version : 3.P Incredible Hulk

2014-08-15, 03:21 AM
I'm looking for some build help with this one: it's a ECL 30 3.P gestalt character, and I'm trying to design it to be the Incredible Hulk; not only do I want this build to emulate the Hulk, I want it to be competitive in middle-ish char-op. Homebrew and Dragon Mag are fine; DCS cheese is tolerated. So far, what I'm thinking is using...

-Barbarian
-Dungeoncrasher Fighter (Unbreakable or Brawler)
-Frenzied Berserker
-War Hulk
-Alchemist
-Master Chymist
-Warblade

Feats and tactics boil down to standard ubercharger stuff. Whether they're always large or not is irrelevant: I'll be using items to boost my knowledge skills to take advantage of Knowledge Devotion. The only obvious* things I'm not wanting to use are Hulking Hurler and Cancer Mage/Festering Anger cheese.

So, any thoughts? Suggestions?

Diovid
2014-08-15, 03:48 AM
The usual build for Hulk in 3.5 is something like Human Expert x / Stoneblessed (Goliath) 3 / Barbarian 1 / War Hulk 10 / Hulking Hurler 3 using Stoneblessed to be able to take the 1st Goliath Barbarian substitution level.

The Goliath Barbarian substitution level makes sure the build is only large when raging thus the build only qualifies for War Hulk when raging thus the build only gains it's benefits (increased strength) and drawbacks (no time to think) while raging.

Of course the build can be adjusted in many ways to suit your needs. For instance you could easily replace Expert with Alchemist and take no levels of Hulking Hurler if you want.

You'll want to take some class with full bab on the other side of War Hulk because War Hulk levels give no bab (or you have to wait with taking War Hulk levels until you are epic level).

A thing to note is that you say you want to use knowledge skills but you have to be careful with the War Hulk's No Time to Think ability. Using the above build you can use knowledge skills while not raging just fine however a build which always qualifies for War Hulk and thus who's No Time to Think ability is always active might make knowledge checks much harder.

2014-08-15, 03:56 AM
The usual build for Hulk in 3.5 is something like Human Expert x / Stoneblessed (Goliath) 3 / Barbarian 1 / War Hulk 10 / Hulking Hurler 3 using Stoneblessed to be able to take the 1st Goliath Barbarian substitution level.

The Goliath Barbarian substitution level makes sure the build is only large when raging thus the build only qualifies for War Hulk when raging thus the build only gains it's benefits (increased strength) and drawbacks (no time to think) while raging.

Of course the build can be adjusted in many ways to suit your needs. For instance you could easily replace Expert with Alchemist and take no levels of Hulking Hurler if you want.

You'll want to take some class with full bab on the other side of War Hulk because War Hulk levels give no bab (or you have to wait with taking War Hulk levels until you are epic level).

A thing to note is that you say you want to use knowledge skills but you have to be careful with the War Hulk's No Time to Think ability. Using the above build you can use knowledge skills while not raging just fine however a build which always qualifies for War Hulk and thus who's No Time to Think ability is always active might make knowledge checks much harder.

I've seen that trick as well, and I found a reason why it's better for my purposes than having War Hulk always active: on the one hand, No Time to Think only takes away my ranks in knowledge skills, not my ability to make knowledge checks; on the other hand, Knowledge Devotion requires knowledge skill ranks, which I wouldn't have if I was a War Hulk full time. So I'd have to use something like this to avoid being War Hulk all of the time, so that I could get the Knowledge Devotion bonuses while still getting to be a War Hulk.

The Insanity
2014-08-15, 08:36 AM
You need to be Mythic. It fits Hulk perfectly and it allows you to do some of the things Hulk can do (i.e. Seven-League Leap for miles long jumps)

Red Fel
2014-08-15, 09:21 AM
Homebrew and Dragon Mag are fine;

Homebrew, you say? Allow me to share one of the most magnificent and terrifying pieces of homebrew I have ever encountered: The Teramach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?286983-3-5-Base-Class-quot-I-want-to-live-inside-a-castle-built-of-your-agony!-quot).

This is a beast that makes Knowledge Devotion irrelevant. This is a monster that simply breaks everything. This is a horror that will someday eat the sun (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15720209&postcount=9).

DeAnno
2014-08-15, 02:27 PM
I saw a very convincing gestalt Hulk-type once that ran a Werecreature with a ton of Strength and HD up one side (some kind of bear I believe). I think he needed to have a monstrous progression made for him though.

Shieldbunny
2014-08-15, 02:38 PM
I always saw, Dr. Banner/The Hulk as a Cancer Mage/Frenzied Berserker with Festering Anger Shenanigans.