PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying What do bugbears sound like?

killem2
2014-08-15, 06:30 AM
I'm curious has this ever been described about them?

Coidzor
2014-08-15, 11:27 AM
I can't recall where I'd read it or encountered it, but it seemed like they're supposed to have lower voices, either gruff or raspy or both? :smallconfused:

bjoern
2014-08-15, 11:46 AM
When in doubt, just make them say their name in differing volumes and inflections.
Just like the people from derka-derkastan.

Duke of Urrel
2014-08-15, 12:36 PM
Well, bugbears are goblinoids that speak Goblinish, but I suppose their voices are deeper, louder, and more growly.

I wouldn't suggest a voice that imitates either bugs or bears. The name "bugbear" probably has nothing to do with either bugs or bears. I believe it is related to words like boggart, bugaboo, bog(e)yman, boogeyman, and the Seventies vintage "boogie-man." Though part of this etymology may be … bogus.

nedz
2014-08-15, 01:15 PM
They're supposed to be very quiet — so sinister whispers perhaps ?

Optimator
2014-08-15, 01:16 PM
I would say gruff, sly, and surprisingly refined--no Int penalty.

Psyren
2014-08-15, 01:24 PM
They're basically the bullies of the goblin world, so I play them like Moe from Calvin & Hobbes, or Jimbo/Nelson from the Simpsons.

Droningbass
2014-08-15, 02:16 PM
Because of the bestial/savage nature of these creatures, I always imagine that their speech patterns involve some animal-like qualities.

I usually have them growl and hiss a bit instead of using placeholders (like "umm," "huh," etc). Growls could also be effective reactions for Bugbears.

Because they are such large/tall creatures, it is probably worth assuming that they have a deeper voice than most people.

Although I don't know much about fantasy languages, I've always sort of assumed that Goblin would be a harsh and guttural sounding tongue. I think that it would be worth adding some guttural sounds to a Bugbear's speech. This could include sounds like: hard "CH/K" sounds, drawn out "L" sounds, rolled "R" sounds, slow "S" sounds, and deeper/open vowel sounds.

It is also worth considering that most Bugbears would speak Common as a second language, so they might take a little bit of time when selecting words and speaking.

Cool question! I hope that this is a help!

Coidzor
2014-08-15, 03:04 PM
I would say gruff, sly, and surprisingly refined--no Int penalty.

Heck, the only goblinoid variety with an Int penalty that I'm aware of are Varags. :smallconfused:

Red Fel
2014-08-15, 03:32 PM
I hear quiet, gravelly, angry, but intelligent, so... Ron Perlman?

Ron Perlman as Vincent?

Ron Perlman as Hellboy?

Ron Perlman... as Ron Perlman?

Coidzor
2014-08-15, 03:37 PM
I hear quiet, gravelly, angry, but intelligent, so... Ron Perlman?

Ron Perlman as Vincent?

Ron Perlman as Hellboy?

Ron Perlman... as Ron Perlman?

Gobbotopia... Gobbotopia never changes...

Optimator
2014-08-15, 05:23 PM
Gobbotopia... Gobbotopia never changes...

This made my day. Thanks!

Angelalex242
2014-08-15, 05:27 PM
Whatever silly voice the GM feels like making that day.

That's what bugbears sound like.

Coidzor
2014-08-15, 06:18 PM
This made my day. Thanks!

*tips fedora* Miiiiiiiiiiiiillllaaaaaaaa-errr-ooooooooooorrrrrddd. :smallcool:

Though actually I think there's probably something better that could go there instead of Gobbotopia, but I can't remember it, still. x.x

Whatever silly voice the GM feels like making that day.

That's what bugbears sound like.

Isn't that gnomes? :smallconfused:

Ser Charles
2014-08-16, 04:33 AM
I'm not sure about the voice but they must honk if you jab them on the nose, right?

Ravens_cry
2014-08-16, 04:37 AM
A guttural, barely intelligible rumble that seems to whisper from the shadows, as much felt as heard.

sideswipe
2014-08-16, 07:18 AM
i like to think that all monsters encountered speak only their name, like pokemon. and bugbear would be quite gruff and low. though i would never actually dm this way. when they are npc's or players then they talk.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-16, 07:24 AM
I'd assume low and quiet. The sort of voice that doesn't need to shout to be intimidating. Probably broken Common and Undercommon, but perfectly fluent Goblin.

Crimson Wolf
2014-08-16, 07:26 AM
Whatever Al-Gore says they sound like of course!

sideswipe
2014-08-16, 07:32 AM
Whatever Al-Gore says they sound like of course!

where is the damn like button!

Mauve Shirt
2014-08-16, 07:36 AM
If my DM has it right, Bugbears sound like Dr. Girlfriend from The Venture Brothers.

Coidzor
2014-08-16, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure about the voice but they must honk if you jab them on the nose, right?

Err... I don't get that reference. :smallconfused:

If my DM has it right, Bugbears sound like Dr. Girlfriend from The Venture Brothers.

Heh. Exactly.

deuxhero
2014-08-16, 12:46 PM
There may be a bug bear or two in Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil with voiced lines, but I can't remember for sure.