PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Diffrent LA for a Group

NecroFrost
2014-08-15, 09:19 AM
Hello Guys,

there is something bugging me and i want to know how other GM's handle this Situation.

I've got a group of five people and they got to create characters of lvl 5 with maximum LA 2
Now all of my group found a LA+2 Race/Template, but one won't find the right one and chooses to stay with a LA+1.

I gave him extra startgold as he would been one lvl higher (ECL 8) and let him always stay one lvl higher by the WBL(http://www.dndarchive.com/forums/depth-roleplay-qa/character-wealth-level)

But i think its not the best Solution.

OldTrees1
2014-08-15, 09:39 AM
So almost everyone is playing ECL 7 (5 HD + 2 LA). Why not have the last player play at ECL 7 (6 HD + 1 LA)?

Andezzar
2014-08-15, 10:40 AM
The easiest and intended way is to use the ECL for all characters regardless of LA. with 5 Class levels/RHD and 2LA the characters are ECL 7 and get WBL as ECL 7 characters. The same should apply to the character with LA 1. He should be allowed to have 6 Class levels/RHD. That should be balanced enough.

You seem to be under the impression that races/templates with LAs are more powerful than class levels. That is very rarely the case.

If you only allow the on character with LA 1 5 class levels, he will have the benefit of gaining more XP until he catches up to the rest.

NecroFrost
2014-08-18, 09:51 AM
The Point i think is that a class level is more powerful than a race/template
1 lvl is much more than +1 race/template, because the lvl gives HP, Skills, supernatural things.

So you guys think that it would be better to give him a lvl, instead of having more gold/magic items?

elonin
2014-08-18, 10:18 AM
I've seen some groups that have a x levels with y free levels for templates/races.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-18, 10:24 AM
...why not give him two LA +1 templates?

Andezzar
2014-08-18, 10:27 AM
Where the others forced to take some combination of race and template that gave them +2 LA? If not, I'd say everyone is freee to do that or not. neither side needs to get any additional advantages/disadvantages. If they were, give them the option to change that.

Xerlith
2014-08-18, 12:52 PM
I think it would be easier to judge if you gave us the templates and classes used by your players. Two LA+1 templates may or (more probably) may not be equal.

atemu1234
2014-08-18, 03:40 PM
So almost everyone is playing ECL 7 (5 HD + 2 LA). Why not have the last player play at ECL 7 (6 HD + 1 LA)?

I second this and did the inverse with a couple parties.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-08-18, 03:54 PM
...why not give him two LA +1 templates?

While I support this stance the most of those I've seen thus far, it is possible that the player has not found two acceptable +1 LA templates or a suitable race/template combo. Obviously, things like Feral and whatever the stoney template from Underdark is called are strong options for martial types for what they gain and lose, but that's a whole nother story for a sorcerer or just about any caster.

Off hand, draconic and an +1 LA race could work. A relatively early Dragon magazine (#306?) had a list of environmental based templates in it, most of which are +1 LA. If you know what the character has/is so far, that may help the playground narrow down the suggestions. Worst case scenario, you homebrew a new template for the player.

Edit: Autocorrect got me again.

NecroFrost
2014-08-22, 05:46 AM
While I support this stance the most of those I've seen thus far, it is possible that the player has not found two acceptable +1 LA templates or a suitable race/template combo. Obviously, things like Feral and whatever the stoney template from Underdark is called are strong options for martial types for what they gain and lose, but that's a whole nother story for a sorcerer or just about any caster.
Yeah thats right.

Off hand, draconic and an +1 LA race could work. A relatively early Dragon magazine (#306?) had a list of environmental based templates in it, most of which are +1 LA. If you know what the character has/is so far, that may help the playground narrow down the suggestions. Worst case scenario, you homebrew a new template for the player.

Edit: Autocorrect got me again.

Maybe i make a deal with to get him a free ritual from Savage Species.
I think there was a +1LA for one Energy immunity.

That would be the very simple way

Inevitability
2014-08-22, 07:13 AM
DMG 2 has the Unique NPC Abilities, which also come with a LA. (page 157)

For 1 LA, you can get:

-Graced from Outside (gain resistance to fire and cold, use a spell from the Law, Good, Evil or Chaos domain not higher than 2nd level 1/week as a SLA)

-Guardian Spirit (gain +2 deflection bonus to AC)

-Lifemate (gain a special connection to another (N)PC)

-Poisonlaced (gain a continuous Detect Poison effect)